Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Denken says Macht was "strangely capable of casting non-demon spells" at one point. And I could have sworn Solitar says she and Macht are unusual for demons but I can't find it so maybe I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Early on in the arc Macht has an encounter with another high-ranking demon who remarks that Macht isn't pulling his weight for the Demon King or whatever, so they can see when demons aren't operating within demon-y parameters but they don't particularly seem to care enough to do anything about it. Or rather, it's just not in their nature to engage in confrontations with each other (just humans).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the scene where schlacht squares up to macht and tells him "yeah you have to participate in this fight" and they have the whole "do you think you could take me" into "do you really think i couldn't?" is one of the best in the whole manga. its so tense, hints at something incredibly major unrevealed and interesting with schlact and sets the stage for what i consider so far to be one of the neatest mysteries in the series

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Demons are human-eating monsters. It's fundamentally weird for them to try to understand and empathize with humans beyond what's necessary to kill them.

Or that's what everyone in the series says, anyway. Despite how often demons are described as human-eating monsters, I can't think of any times that we saw any signs that demons were actually eating people. They certainly don't shy away from massacring humans, and even demons like Macht who talk about "understanding" don't actually seem to place any value on human life, but I can't think of any cases where we actually see or hear about them actually eating. They kill humans for lots of reasons, but "because I was hungry" never seems to be one of them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eating could be soul drinking, for all we know. Killing = eating

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

Demons are human-eating monsters. It's fundamentally weird for them to try to understand and empathize with humans beyond what's necessary to kill them.

Or that's what everyone in the series says, anyway. Despite how often demons are described as human-eating monsters, I can't think of any times that we saw any signs that demons were actually eating people. They certainly don't shy away from massacring humans, and even demons like Macht who talk about "understanding" don't actually seem to place any value on human life, but I can't think of any cases where we actually see or hear about them actually eating. They kill humans for lots of reasons, but "because I was hungry" never seems to be one of them.

The shogun and the sword demon definitely ate people. The series as a whole tries to gloss over gore, so I don't expect to ever see it.

"Because I was hungry" is never the reason, we've been told multiple times that demons don't need to eat humans to live. However, the Shogun arc showed that demons can absorb mana from the people they eat, with the baby demon referring to the first class mages as a "mana feast." Eating people is just a shortcut to more mana, which for a species that feels nothing for killing humans is hard to pass up.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This artist does some dang cute Frieren animations.

https://youtu.be/yL39z_VnyPE?si=_8qgSESlFqoYCzto

https://youtu.be/7amZsHzyPRo?si=PBwRnrMDhueJua83

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

loooooooool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqzKUmoOR8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can we use images as thread titles yet

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

And there's a new one for the exam!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsrECg5gzw

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Already looking forward to the next run of the anime. Really wanna see Serie's poo poo-eating grin when Macht tries to grab her, and also Frieren's mic drop when she dispels the curse.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
:hmmyes:

I really loved the Macht arc, so I can't wait to see how the anime will adapt it in the second season.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I am looking forward to the Macht arc so much, though I am wondering a little bit what people reactions are gonna be to the four straight episodes of Macht flashbacks

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah I am looking forward to the Macht arc so much, though I am wondering a little bit what people reactions are gonna be to the four straight episodes of Macht flashbacks

Raucous enthusiasm?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Raucous enthusiasm?

Considering how uncharacteristically banal the story's first go-round with demons was, it might actually be this.

The Macht arc does such a better job of handling the topic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

VideoWitch posted:

An unholy amount of Macht x Gluck fanart?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering about that myself too. The entire arc is, what, 24 chapters?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Raucous enthusiasm?

Oh yeah I'm sure the arc is gonna be well received, cause it owns, it's just "four straight episodes of the backstory of the arc villain" is a bold choice and it will be interesting to see the reaction

Lt. Lizard posted:

An unholy amount of Macht x Gluck fanart?

also yeah this is a given

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Almost dropped this in the anime thread, as relevant to today's episode, but it's sort of a manga spoiler too, so erring on the side of caution...

(source: @fukaikiri, twitter)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Quinton posted:

Almost dropped this in the anime thread, as relevant to today's episode, but it's sort of a manga spoiler too, so erring on the side of caution...

I think the how did you find my house to be a classic enough gag that most people won't see it as a spoiler.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah until someone posts "Isn't this a manga spoiler?"

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering about that myself too. The entire arc is, what, 24 chapters?

25, Chapters 80 through 104.

We may get some details on future plans today. Anime Japan is taking place right now, and there's TOHO panel on Frieren at 8 PM PDT being broadcast live on YouTube. Be a great place to make an announcement.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Quinton posted:

lol at the SpongeBob clone especially.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fuckin lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDT3UIQ0xFw&hd=1

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
what have you done to my feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Kot7Iih68

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nice. Hmm, might be time for a new av soon

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vizuyos posted:

To be fair, humans are cat and dog eating monsters, but in some cultures, both animals live in peaceful coexistence as our beloved pets. And noone is going "it's weird that those foreigners don't eat dogs"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Chapter 128

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
That's a surprising origin out of nowhere. So Frieren was part of the CIA...

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
just get hitched already!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m guessing the gimmick with the gravity magic, and why Land didn’t think they were winning, was because they were fighting 2 Empire mages not 1: the other one(that shows up at the end) was the one controlling the gravity magic and the one Ubel was fighting had the blindness magic he cast on her.
EDIT: Btw, if anyone is confused by the “I count 3 of you” line, apparently it’s a mistranslation and a more accurate line would be “I’ll count to 3”

The Official English version is much better translated this week

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 17, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

That's a surprising origin out of nowhere. So Frieren was part of the CIA...

Huh could you expand on this?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh could you expand on this?

In the panel with the secret groups the secret wands club or whatever has the same emblem trinket that Frieren proudly shows off as being a "proper" mage. Shes mage cia

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

In the panel with the secret groups the secret wands club or whatever has the same emblem trinket that Frieren proudly shows off as being a "proper" mage. Shes mage cia

Given that the image doesn’t look like Frieren, it’s probably another Elf, more than one could have been part of that magic guild.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that the image doesn’t look like Frieren, it’s probably another Elf, more than one could have been part of that magic guild.

Thats not really the point. Its not that theres an elf in the secret groups photo its that the same emblem Frieren has is an emblem of the secret group. She was part of the group ergo secret mage CIA

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jerkface posted:

Thats not really the point. Its not that theres an elf in the secret groups photo its that the same emblem Frieren has is an emblem of the secret group. She was part of the group ergo secret mage CIA

Or the emblem’s meaning has changed over centuries

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

I don’t think the group is that old, so I don’t think it’s the case. The symbol for what was the original Imperial Mages probably fell out of used and instead became the symbol for the Wand Society as stuff changed.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think the group is that old, so I don’t think it’s the case. The symbol for what was the original Imperial Mages probably fell out of used and instead became the symbol for the Wand Society as stuff changed.

they call it out as from the same thing in the earlier chapter.

while it's very likely that the nature and purpose of the holy wand society has changed over the years since frieren was active in it, it's definitely setting up for her membership to be relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Wild speculation: we know Frieren lost to Macht several hundred years ago, so I wonder if she was working with the Holy Wands back then. She might have been the only survivor, and the Empire is still big mad about it.