Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

The Official English version is much better translated this week

God I wish Viz's viewer didn't suck so bad, it can't zoom for poo poo.

Anyway great chapter I love that the new guy is apparently like Frieren (and Ubel kinda) in that he can just figure out spells and counter them by looking at it and puzzling them out. Also he says that the ropes are steel because it seems like he's figured Ubel out too. Love how they've pretty much set up their escape too. Ropes are meant to be cut, after all...

Squidster posted:

Wild speculation: we know Frieren lost to Macht several hundred years ago, so I wonder if she was working with the Holy Wands back then. She might have been the only survivor, and the Empire is still big mad about it.

Alternately, since now that we know the Empire has multiple black ops secret squads (only 2 even rumored, hell, maybe more!), maybe all the Holy Wands went rogue at some point and the empire decided to off them. That would explain why Frieren was on that kill list, she's just the last one.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Or possibly the Shadow Warriors made a move against the Holy Wands to remove a political rival.

e: I'm getting too used to Discord spoilering.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh, hey this might be relevant: the Viz app is now available in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

Check it out if you can

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

yum posted:

just get hitched already!!!

They are basically canon at this point. :hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

Thats not really the point. Its not that theres an elf in the secret groups photo its that the same emblem Frieren has is an emblem of the secret group. She was part of the group ergo secret mage CIA

TwoPair posted:

Alternately, since now that we know the Empire has multiple black ops secret squads (only 2 even rumored, hell, maybe more!), maybe all the Holy Wands went rogue at some point and the empire decided to off them. That would explain why Frieren was on that kill list, she's just the last one.

Yeah I'm betting it's this:

Mister Olympus posted:

while it's very likely that the nature and purpose of the holy wand society has changed over the years since frieren was active in it, it's definitely setting up for her membership to be relevant
It could be that she was one of the original members and some time after she left it turned into the Wizard CIA and got targeted by the Empire for eradication and since she was on the former membership list they targeted her as well

Comedy option:

E: I swapped in her most powerful attack

:black101:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
some of these are just inexplicable

at least frieren is eating well

edit: Here's what happens if you eliminate ballot-stuffers. Frieren and... mimic... does a lot better.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 23, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

mimic at 10, gently caress the ballot stuffers no goddamn taste

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Seriously, what the gently caress is the deal with Aura? Second place? What?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is #6 the demon who could copy martial arts that Stark fought?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah

Also good to see Macht and Solitair still charting highly despite not being in the anime yet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RatHat posted:

yeah. idk how the hell she beat out solitar and macht

himmel beating ubel is also some bullshit. who the heck is voting for shonen hero dot jpeg over psychopath murderer but in a kinda hot way girl

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lt. Lizard posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is the deal with Aura? Second place? What?

Memes

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

himmel beating ubel is also some bullshit. who the heck is voting for shonen hero dot jpeg over psychopath murderer but in a kinda hot way girl

himmel believed in his feelings for frieren so deeply he was able to fight a demon while trapped in an illusion of their happy ending. he deserves the #1 slot and I’m glad the fujoshi got him there

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Agronox posted:

edit: Here's what happens if you eliminate ballot-stuffers. Frieren and... mimic... does a lot better.

Oh ok, eliminate the meme vote spammers and you got a sane list. Cool

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

panko posted:

himmel believed in his feelings for frieren so deeply he was able to fight a demon while trapped in an illusion of their happy ending. he deserves the #1 slot and I’m glad the fujoshi got him there

I’m a bit confused as to how that was from the fujo vote

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

lancelot likers (any)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Also we got a chapter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I was assuming it was thirst votes but there are an awful lot of Aura memes too I suppose.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You can uh....stop setting up any time you want, plot. Already looks to get plenty messy as is.:shepface:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Sense gonna throw hands. Hairs. Whatever. The panel with her and her hair spoiling for a fight was hilarious.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Casually introducing a troupe of 20 assassins?????? NOW???? what is this Frieren x Frieren?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So there are three sides here, right? The first-class mages, the special forces of magic, and the shadow warriors?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

So there are three sides here, right? The first-class mages, the special forces of magic, and these undercover assassins?

We don't know how closely the special forces and the shadow warriors are, they might very well be the same.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jerkface posted:

Casually introducing a troupe of 20 assassins?????? NOW???? what is this Frieren x Frieren?

damnit, i got beaten to the "so we phantom troupe arcin now?"

also MORE EARS

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

So there are three sides here, right? The first-class mages, the special forces of magic, and the shadow warriors?

Presumably.

Also, remember development magic chat from the anime thread? Well now we see non-mages casting magic.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

i'm getting a bit worried ngl

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Some real John Wick, every world class assassin has a fake mundane job, energy from that sequence. My expectations are now increasing dangerously.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

E. Revenant posted:

Some real John Wick, every world class assassin has a fake mundane job, energy from that sequence. My expectations are now increasing dangerously.

I was more imagining the scene in Hot Fuzz when everybody starts pulling out weapons. Yours is more on point though lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

E. Revenant posted:

Power ranking the new assassins based purely on vibes

1. Schritt - the sword looks cool, drunk barfly is the best cover job, and we love tight leather pants don't we folks
2. Routine - Sleepy Librarian with bed head, lets loving go, kill someone with a book
3. Lore - Went back and forth on the nun assassin cliche but in the end, its good.
4. Walross - Is this a Denken-esque old man, or a dwarf? Who knows, but Vagrant is also a great john wick cover
5. Iris - Poster Girl seems like a fake job but she is cute
6. Wolf - Bartender is a top tier profession but I hate his hair cut
7. Gazelle - Sociopath little kid flea market salesman, fine
8. Klematis - I hate his face

Official ranking btw

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cobbler Synonym

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Cobbler Synonym

Arkwright Womblem

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Arkwright Womblem

Eggler Dobie

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah I am ready for assassin fight nonsense

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Please let Schritt not be a jobber, for Himmel’s sake! Extra thank yous if it’s a Stark fight so we can see what warrior/mage hybrids are capable of against single-class builds. And then see Stark rock her poo poo anyway.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This is a hell of a build-up, especially for Frieren. :stare:

I suspect special forces of magic and shadow warriors are cooperating. Both, because of Frieren's talk of how the true enemy is the Empire itself, and because it's Série they are gunning for. There ain't no way someone sane would look at Série and go "I can take her" while there is an unaligned third group running around.

Sense hair shadowboxing was extremely cute. Sense rules.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

It really is a lot of buildup. I just reread from the village of the shadow warriors to date to refresh the context and it is amazing to me how effortless the mangaka tells the story. It just seems to flow really smoothly from yet another Frieren misadventure due to how the world has changed over her life, peeling back the world to show us some of the secret weird poo poo going on in the background and that Frieren is in fact involved while simultaneously showing us that the shadow warriors are a real threat, then immediately escalating the conspiracy to what we're seeing now while incorporating a lot of other characters and factions in the intrigue. The economy of paneling with which we see the shadow warriors developing peaceful lives in that village in like half a chapter is pretty incredible, and I assume takes an insane effort.

As far as the story, having just reread, a few observations:

- the shadow warrior cells are confirmed unaware of each other or the old guy in the village is just a previous generation, because he thought he was the last one and we see the shadow warriors are clearly part of an active conspiracy. This was kinda intuitive but still, I hadn't picked up that it was explicit.

- we see the silhouette of Lowe and another, shorter character that hasn't appeared in the panel about people that can visualize the death of Serie, I'm curious to see who the other one is

- I was really not expecting the amount of assassins but it makes sense, given their goals. I can believe that a group that large could kill Serie, although at the same time given the high level illusion magic we've seen I'm going to be surprised if there isn't some kind of magical tomfoolery where she buys time by making the assassination appear sucessful despite surviving with some sort of fakeout.

- we don't know why the mage police are around and their presence was unpredicted in Linear's report, even though Sense brushes over this fact. The suggestion is that there are players whom they are unaware of, or someone is manipulating the information the Continental Association is receiving, and I'm still leaning towards something happening with the mage whose name literally means "False"...

- at the same time there are still seeds for future plot threads. Sense mentions the mage police are spread thin and don't have the resources to just randomly station people here, they're usually policing the border. If we learn that they loosened their control of the border for the conspiracy in this arc, the next arc might deal with the repercussions, and we're still waiting for the other shoe to drop with a lot of demon stuff we saw in the past

- we see some sparkles around Ubel that seem to have something to do with the mage's weirdness, which he appears to keep in a tiny glass bottle that he puts away after the fight. I'm not sure what this will end up being. My thoughts were either that the lag Ubel noticed was because the guy was only directing his partner's magic with some crazy coordination tech, or the sparkles allowed him to channel his magic somehow to take Ubel's senses away.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 24, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I like how, amid all the bustle and intrigue of the Zoo Family assassins gathering and whatnot, the descriptions of the Empire indicate this is still fundamentally grounded in the conflict between Serie's and Flamme/Frieren's respective outlooks. The two panels where Serie contemplates the flower-creation magic are significant; ever since Frieren shut her down she's been more aware of the cracks in her worldview. On the other hand, the Empire is showing that she may not have been entirely wrong in her skepticism; while hoarding magic for the use of Great Men can make normal folk subordinate to their whims, democratizing a chaotic power might lead ambitious people to consolidate control or exert influence in other ways, like the Empire's seemingly endless supply of grim Eastern Bloc-styled secret police forces, assassins guilds, and so on.

At root, though, I suspect the actual beef they have with Serie is less philosophical (though that is the overarching theme of the series itself), but more practical: the last dungeon has been conquered, what other ways can a magic-based "empire" expand? At this point, it mainly appears to be Serie, squatting like a dragon on a historically massive wealth of magical knowledge, including the sort of "everyday magic" spells the Empire has come to depend on.

There's almost certainly something to the fact that Lowe claims to be a governor of the northernmost (i.e. closest to demon territory) Imperial province, but I'd hate for this to be wholly a demon plot.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 24, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tosk posted:

- we see some sparkles around Ubel that seem to have something to do with the mage's weirdness, which he appears to keep in a tiny glass bottle that he puts away after the fight. I'm not sure what this will end up being. My thoughts were either that the lag Ubel noticed was because the guy was only directing his partner's magic with some crazy coordination tech, or the sparkles allowed him to channel his magic somehow to take Ubel's senses away.

Yeah I think his magic “stole” her sight and she’ll remain blind until that bottle is broken

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sense really growing on me. Love how pacifist Sense is immediately ready to throw hands hairs just to be smug at Ubel. She's a true wizard after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

Sense really growing on me. Love how pacifist Sense is immediately ready to throw hands hairs just to be smug at Ubel. She's a true wizard after all

She hasn't killed anyone, but it doesn't mean she's not ready to beat a motherfucker up.