Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

L-O-N posted:

From Dark Souls, I know that mimics are instant-a-death so this is unrealistic. 1/5

Git mor vit, noob

Edit to avoid doublepost: Looks like this is currently the top-average-rated series on mangadex, sitting at 9.31.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For another example of well-done heavy-hitting end-of-the-heroes'-journey stories, you might also try Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi, a one-shot that's also one of the highest-rated manga on mangadex.

It puts the thinnest of veils over what the "twist" is going to be, but the conclusion still hits like a truck.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

Oh god I cried at this one even though I figured out what was happening almost inmediately. It was the knight's kids that slayed me.

Everything from the colored two-page spread on is 100% feels.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah, at this point I know demons aren't robots, but this is some chinese room levels of comprehension they have going on for them. This is potentially what I consider less interesting than completely self-aware and intelligent creatures mimicking human qualities.

I think the demons function like pure pursuit-vision apex predators. They see and process enough to do what they believe will attain their goal, and don't waste time thinking about anything besides that. It's the same reason why the garotte kid has the reasoning laid out above; he saw the straight line and didn't absorb anything outside of that. He might have filed away somewhere that there's a progenitor relationship between a father and son, and that humans have a sentimentality about such things that can make them drop their guard, but besides his lack of access to the emotions that would more fully explain the relationship, once he's done doing the exploiting the details just aren't important anymore and he's already moved on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Fern knows how to pout.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I would love if the combat was slightly flashier animeted version of this, while day-to-day moments with Fern, Stark on random inane quests and mimics recieved lavish attention.

Have the mimics be animated at triple the frame rate of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nuebot posted:

What if elves are the real demons the whole time

The demons were just watching themselves.