Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

Man I love chapter 5. When she says "It seems 80 years is a very long time for humans" you know she's sympathizing with Qual in a way.

I enjoy the fact that magic defense had to evolve to overcome literal soul destruction but now it's common sense in the present times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new chapter
continuing the subtle and not so subtle tradition of Frieren getting owned.

1000 years later and her master still gets to be smug about being right
There also looks to be a page missing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter. Always remember this advice from Jesus

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I see where this series might be going, and that leaves at least one more pupil to acquire.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Today in Frieren we learn: Racism is Right.

I was expecting a bit more nuance here, but if the monster manual says Demons are Chaotic Evil I'm not going to complain.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah it just feels like the demons and humans just don't fundamentally understand one another. I think there could very well be peace they could work towards. We'll see!
I don't think that the story is going to prove Frieran wrong on this one. This might very well not be the kind of conflict that can be solved by lengthy negotiations and cultural exchanges. The demon child is being juxtaposed against the adults. The child knew that people didn't like her so she tried to placate the village by replacing the child she killed. Not understanding that a person isn't replaceable as well as killing someone else is an more extreme lack of awareness than even Frieran has, but it highlights how demons are manipulative. Even the cry for a mother was to prolong her life, all she lacked was the experience and tact to get the villagers to warm up to her. Lord Lugner absolutely knows what he's doing and what his nature is though as well as this whole charade being enacted to subvert the town. There's a lot more care and effort in getting things to this point by abusing the whole concepts of diplomacy and civility.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Lügner means Liar, if it wasn't obvious.

:aaaaa: You mean he and Baron Baby-eater aren't on the up and up?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

That could actually be an interesting concept, but tying it to biological characteristics of a race of sentient beings is frankly horrible and I really hope there'll be some sort of twist to it. As it stands, the demons apparently also use language to communicate with each other, and they have clothing and architecture and everything, so they're obviously not just going through the motions when humans are around; but in my opinion that just makes it worse, since it means they're for all intents and purposes a humanoid race which is inherently evil and manipulative. Not that that's a rare thing in fantasy stories, but this particular portrayal veers dangerously close to antisemitic concepts. That's probably not even intentional (it can easily be read as exploring another aspect of the dissonance between various sentient species with wildly different life cycles), but it might certainly end up carrying some dangerous implications.
I'm avoiding any of the usual stigmas attached to "this race is just naturally pre-disposed to being 'evil' " because there aren't any ties to the real world here. Like Squidster pointed out, the demons are just playing into a similar theme that Frieran herself embodies now we have a different reason than just lack of compatibility born just from longevity. A more cynical take on what we see of Demon culture would simply be that wearing clothes and having buildings doesn't make them more human. It just means that like any creature of sufficient intelligence that also doesn't have innate forms of protection like fur or chitin, they still have some same basic needs that people do. Using what humanity already made is just practical because it makes it easier to cozy up to their chosen prey. Same with having language although I'd be interested to see if Demon's use common speak among themselves.

I'd also want a bit more to be here but if demons are just very advanced mimics that isn't bad either.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sometimes it's OK to have monsters be the bad guys with no scruples or ambiguity. Especially in a story where the monsters aren't even the main focus most chapters in it's short run.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Not when the morality of those monsters is a focus of even a part of the story, which it now is. Like, before the last chapter monsters were never really characters and never the focus of the work so yeah, it didn't matter. But the focus of this chapter (this arc?) is the nature of monsters, so now it does matter. And if that nature contradicts itself (monsters being sentient yet universally evil is, indeed, a contradiction), then the arc will be considerably weakened as a result.
Did you forget about Qual? He's a high ranking demon and clearly very intelligent. Yet he pioneered the soul track killing magic, and very much had a character for how small a role he actually plays and a major part of the one chapter he features in. And seconds after his revival, he decided he'd go back on his rampage except this time to avenge the demon lord? But even in that chapter the real point was how magic progressed to overcome him over the 80 years he'd been sealed away, not whether or not he was justified in getting revenge. It's not too different to how the Phantasm is really used as a way to showcase a moment of emotional vulnerability for Fern as well as the resolve of Frieran, or how the Dragon is a test of Stark's determination. The point has never been the monsters but how the characters react to them.

quote:

Basically, it's bad for the focus of the work to be incoherent or oversimplistic, and the morality of monsters is now the focus of the work.
I don't agree that what's being presented is incoherent, why would sentience preclude demons from being universally evil in the first place? Whether this simplistic dichotomy is bad is subjective and we are still treating it mostly as a black and white, good vs evil affair instead of a more blue/orange morality which is also the case for Frieran. Remember how she was utterly ok with just leaving the phantasm to murder the population. Yet nobody here is calling her evil for it, she's clearly just operating on a different set of values and the story is about just that. The demons aren't likely to be the focus even of this part of the story in my opinion and it will probably find a way to wrap back around to Frieran and her disposition.

Elephant Parade posted:

to be clear I'm not 100% sure that's the direction the story is going in; it's possible that the ambassador is wrong, and I'm willing to wait another chapter or three to find out
I would like that to be the case but as I've said, I don't think that's the outcome we're traveling towards.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Yes, the point has never been the monsters—but now it is. Qual raised questions about human evolution and advancement. The Phantasm raised questions about vulnerability. Unlike those two, the demon ambassador and daughter raise questions about the demons themselves: their morality, outlook on the world, and ability to coexist with humans. And when I say they raise those questions, I'm not even being figurative: the ambassador explicitly talks about the impossibility of coexistence. The morality of the demons is, unlike before, something the manga is clearly trying to explore.
I think it's raising the question in a way that also answers it in the same chapter and that is what I think will be the extent of exploring demon culture for this location. Lord Liar even acknowledges that Frieran is absolutely correct, there's not much left to do except wait for the chaos now. This chapter isn't trying to make this deep and nuanced by all appearances. Even with a literal child being raised in such a way to hopefully acclimate her mindset and outlook to something more "human" only for it to fail spectacularly and we see she was arguably never interested in it to begin with.

quote:

Sentience precludes universal, racial evil because it implies an ability to make moral choices, and if the choice made is always "be evil" regardless of personal and environmental circumstances, then it isn't a choice for the species, so they can't make moral choices, so they aren't really "sentient" in a way comparable to humans. The kind of blue-and-orange morality exhibited by the demon daughter, who isn't exactly evil but acts in a completely alien way, is a bit different. I question whether a species utterly dedicated to killing humans (if demons are such a species) can ever be perceived as alien and not simply evil, given that we, the readers, are humans, but it could be interesting to explore. I didn't really touch on alien morality in my reply because it wasn't something you brought up in the post I was replying to.
This is fiction and you can absolutely have intelligent actors who are bound to behave in certain ways because of some biological, spiritual, cosmic, technological, etc manner.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

I guess the fundamental issue here is that I object to Always Evil species because, problematic implications aside, it's really boring as a motivator for members of that species. Why did the demon daughter kill that family: as revenge for the killing of her own mother? because the trauma of her introduction to human society and/or the omnipresent judgment of that society made her snap? because, as she said, she really thought it was the just thing to do? Nah, she's just evil/biologically opposed to humanity. "They did it because they are biologically programmed to do it" is the most boring possible answer to any question, and when the manga raises a question (and what did that extended flashback sequence do, if not raise the question?) the answer shouldn't be boring. If the demon ambassador is correct in saying that demons just exist to kill people, then that scene, and the arc built atop it, will have been a massive waste of time for me. Because the purpose of fiction, fantastic fiction included, is to express ideas, and "an evil species that kills other species because they're evil" isn't an interesting idea to me, maybe because it's so totally incoherent in the context of the real world.

I misread your 2nd half of the post and all I can say is that while I agree that sapience (I made that mistake as well) can be in conflict with the "always evil" concept, for this story what makes it work for me is that there's more thematic weight on this being about different mindsets which yes is still an answer rooted in biology. The Great mage Flamme gave demons their names and said that their ancestors were more rudimentary in how they hunted. I can assume that over time, whether natural or instigated by magic, these creatures evolved to blur the line between mimickry and actually having human levels of intelligence. They still see and treat humans as prey, they just have far more sophisticated and complicated methods of going about acquiring said prey. No different than if Octopus got a lot more intelligent and started to wage war on humans to secure more fish for their octopus societies.

I just don't think the potential final answer here is boring because I'm not invested in whether Demons are a more ambiguous and complicated species. I care more about how Stark and Fern are going to react to this because they are the ones who don't have the same perspective and certainty that Frieran has. Because even in a chapter about how demon's think I'm not actually convinced this is more than just setup for something else. I do get where you are coming from nonetheless. It's certainly happened for me in other stories.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Keeping with the pattern, the last party member should be someone connected to Himmel and we know he was still not feeling wanton slaughter of demons. Therefore the last party member is the child of the demon lord whom Himmel found and raised in secret.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I missed this detail on the first pass. And the second, and the third. :eng99:.
But the wound on the village chief's back would indicate that demons can shapeshift. Because no way that teenage girl a left giant claw marks on her own without magic or a really big hand and shapeshifting would fit with the idea that demons are monsters that mimic humans. Would also explain how Aura the Guillotine and Qual can be members of the same species despite one being as tall as a building and clearly monstrous.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

I chuckled at the demon's big magic killing blow being a magic wire. That's fun.

It's a welcome reprieve from the Dragonball beam spam that's been the majority of magic in this series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I feel like if the demons are actually a whole species with no empathy who can't understand concepts like family they shouldn't be organized what appears to be more or less along human lines.

Interesting thought. They are organized but they don't actually seem to care about each other the same way people do. Qual is the only demon so far in these two instances that showed actual comradarie and I could easily argue given the way the translation is worded he wasn't actually upset at all about the death of the demon king. This chapter, Wire didn't really care about Frieran's taunts even when it included his superior Aura. There's a certain frankness to how demons handle stuff that goes along with how the child from the last chapter was mostly dispassionate and logical in her thought process. It's likely that they form organizations purely because it's necessary for survival and you know, waging wars against another organized group.

Young demons are also very dumb because they have no chill or patience.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
One thing I do hope is just a quirk of the writing is how Lugen didn't go into detail about what a father is. Even if he's just pretending he could have offered a one sentence definition to the younger one since he's apparently far more knowledgeable on how to play the human. But he comes across as either just as ignorant as the child from the previous chapter or just flippant although with my intuition pointing towards the former.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

I think your intuition is right, where he mentions his "father," you could easily put literally any family member or position for "father" and it would read the same. At most, he may understand that "son" somehow relates to "father" so he knows to say his father died when a human says their son did. Like Mad-Libs: "I see this [noun] is [adjective], it must be [participle phrase relating to adjective]. My [relation or comrade based on Table 1B]'s [noun] is also very [adjective] he died in [conflict] as well."

Yeah, at this point I know demons aren't robots, but this is some chinese room levels of comprehension they have going on for them. This is potentially what I consider less interesting than completely self-aware and intelligent creatures mimicking human qualities.

tsob posted:

I think "this room is spotless, and speaks to a dedication to honoring your son's memory" requires more than a madlib, and would require some degree of understanding of the behavior that underpins it. Not that that necessarily indicates anything, since it could be the mangaka inserting something for convenience without realizing the implication really.
This is part of what's getting me stuck on how far between extremes we're sitting here and how the writer wants this to play out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But at least this confirms that the demons aren't biological entities, they're some type of mana spirit thing. That explains a lot.

The clothes disappearing with the body was interesting.

Aura also has to have the strongest arm in the world because she's perpetually holding that scale at just the right angle every single time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Frieran is the Saitama of her universe. Except she can teach other people Serious Series moves and make them commonplace.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Aura introduces the most dastardly demon art yet More dangerous than soul destruction, magic decapitating wire, or blood blades. Big Bank takes Little Bank

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I love a good standoff.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Master's Technique
The fight draws to a close on both fronts it seems. Frieran for all her spartan training did make sure Fern can handle her own. Stark almost went full :black101: but he's too chill like everyone in this series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Looking forward to the Nen battles.

If Fern eventually gains speeds to rival Netero's 100-Type Bodhisattva this manga would become the best thing I've ever read.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
new chapter and I've seen this setup happen before except it was some japanese kid with a bird in his eye.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Hell yeah muscle elf!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Pretty abrupt introduction for a new party member

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That right there, that is prime smug.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Turns out the group doesn't need a demon or a hero companion. They just needed an adult.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This character really is the audience insert character. I'm going to miss him

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I can't imagine having a spell that's range is shorter than the caster's arm is entirely practical. But I'm excited to see how the Team Mimic Bait can pull it off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Next chapter of The Hunter'sMage's Exam
So that's how she planned to use that spell. Creative and also RIP that one group who died to an antiquated testing system.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I feel about as old as Frieran that I had to ask my nephew what kind of dance that was. His answer was instantaneous. :eng99:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

...Dancing Spiderman?

Otherwise the answer is always Fortnite.

Is it?

The technical term is 'Orange Justice' but yes. The answer was fortnite.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I stand corrected then. The dance is called 'The Random' and unfortunately at least 3 of the dance related lawsuits including this one were dropped months after they were filed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Who needs fancy tricks when you have overwhelming training in the fundamentals?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Fern herself is just as limited because she only seems to use the modified version of soul track and the defense spells Frerien taught her. Everyone seems to know how to levitate and the like so the gen-ed spells are learnable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Get dunked on Byakuya Kuchiki.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Oshi no Ko, Chi -Chikyū no Undō ni Tsuite-, Spy x Family, Mizu wa Umi ni Mukatte Nagareru, BL Metamorphosis, Kaiju no 8, Kowloon Generic Romance, Onna no Sono no Hoshi, and Karaoke Iko
Someone call the police. I'd like to report a robbery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 43: Privilige