Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is a good manga, I'll definitely keep tabs on it.
Frieran's a great character

Catpetter1981 posted:

I'm amazed that all those villagers just continued staying at the village right next to the deadly demon for so many years, especially when they knew that the seal was slowly eroding with time. They didn't even build a containment chamber around him and just left him out in the open meadow like that, within walking distance of the village.

Hiemmel did keep coming every year and was confident Frieran would come by and put a stop to him before hte seal broke so its fiiiine.

Paracelsus posted:

For another example of well-done heavy-hitting end-of-the-heroes'-journey stories, you might also try Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi, a one-shot that's also one of the highest-rated manga on mangadex.

It puts the thinnest of veils over what the "twist" is going to be, but the conclusion still hits like a truck.

This is also very good though I didn't quite cop to the exact twist until the brother showed up. I was thinking a different variant on this something like the 3 were dead and somehow sticking around (as ghosts?) but Nina didnt know and they wanted to last with her on the way home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Squidster posted:

Chapter 13.

I'd been wondering if any other elves still existed. Hopefully this is Chekhov's Elf, and we'll run into some more soon.

where are we headed
Heaven
sounds like fun

:allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I chuckled at the demon's big magic killing blow being a magic wire. That's fun.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

maybe this 3 arc spread of demon biotruths will be the worst of it and we'll all look back on it and go "well that was weird"

*next arc, frieran talks about the dirty dark skinned evil foreigners* oh noooooooo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Our first introduction to demons has them portrayed as inhuman sociopaths that cannot comprehend the meaning of family, friendship, and trust. Now it appears they are just rear end in a top hat wizard bigots, no different from any other human arrogant wizard except in their politeness.

killing others or being killed: ho hum whatever, who cares, just put out some basic weasel words
hiding your magic aura: this is hosed up, you're hosed up, what the gently caress

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing we're not going to get any like...sudden swerves, nuances or major changing details about the demons or anything. I think they're just meant to be a spoooooky jrpg enemy, with bio truths looming omionusly overhead which, at best, was just something not thought through at all.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love that fuzzy monster she kills on page 13

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tune in next time for the end of frieran's journey as they all freeze to death in the snow, r i p

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

next chapter: battle royale is very literal as the barrier shrinks

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Instructors: We're Geniuses!
*Frieren begins removing the ultra barrier*
Instructors: Oh no!

"What's someone going to do remove the barrier?"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fern is going to see the truly emotionless version of her goofy master and kill it

somehow

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like several chapters ago even characters in universe are going "this test is pretty hosed up"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

All the random, incredibly specific magic in this series is great

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Especially if you're going for 100 percent completion.

the hero's party painstakingly going back and forth over the entire dungeon because god drat it there's 1% that didn't get marked properly

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked those pages where Denken was just walking through the perfectly preserved golded home town.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

All the people he "kills", that is the ones who attack him directly, get turned to gold too right?
I wonder if that process getting undone would heal you up any (Dr. Stone sequel series gone awry) or if you'd still have big hole gored into your chest.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

next chapter: macht kidnaps 9-16 people and traps them in a mansion death game to see what happens next

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So this whole flashback sequence is reall doubling down on Macht's earnest desire to learn the guilt & malice emotions, and we know he willingly worked with the king for long before the subjugation bracelet was placed on him

Did the king put that specific condition on the bracelet, aside from just sort of soft reassurance to the rest of the kingdom, as some weird thing of like...believing that one day he'd understand those emotions and thus avoid them? Basically a way of stating that you will understand. Or something to that effect.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

need a cut to a beat panel of the gang goign "ugh, come on" in the present

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

rooting for macht to feel guilt at the end of this

you can do it, macht....!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

imo the hand sequence shows there was mutual fondness for both of them, Gluck seemed surprised Macht bothered with the gesture at all. & he really didn't have a reason to bother with lighting his last cigarette at that point. Macht'd probably just handwave it as just going through the motions but it's easy to read as actual fondness. Same with that last smile.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Macht only lives because Serie got bored. :getin:

That panel where she reflects it and gives that poo poo eating grin is probably one of the best in the series lol. Just "OHHHH YO UFUCKED UP REAL BAD NOW"
I like how her reversal magic kind of works like whatshername's Cutting magic: the specifics of how it works doesnt matter, so long as it can cut (or detect a curse, in this case), it'll cut (reverse it). I think Serie liked that one in particular

Also that big grin stands out a lot in this, the manga where most emotion is expressed through simple smiles

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the panel where they're dining in the bar surrounded by the golden statues is so eerie

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah their clothes weren't gold, those were normal people.

oh i completely misread what the "nearby settlement" was lmao

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

Fights are definitely not this manga's strong point, so I hope this ends quickly.

On another note, Macht's quest is to feel human emotions ,not necessarily towards humans right? I wonder if he would be pissed/feel malice at Solitar for whatever reason

Some of his mannerisms after she breaks the barrier definitely seem to read he's already feeling annoyed at Solitar for doing this, so feeling malice towards her feels on the table.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Everyone in this manga is a freak of nature, i love it. The gang powering through solitar's bullshit, shattering the unshatterable barrier, freiran decursing herself while frozen, the priest using a spell so you dont need to eat or breathe for 2 months, the works

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if Macht will turn on Solitar because he wants his gold magic to be reversed.

It would be fun if it was an act of active Malice, thus killing him

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Frieren isn't in the mood for playing Solitar

I feel like this is the most active disdain she's shown in a long time, it's wonderful. .2 seconds from just saying "gently caress off" at any given time

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sumigahara Haseo posted:

That's the list of characters eligible for votes, not the results. Results will be released in November.

Well at least that partially explains the absolute nonsense way its laid out

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Final panel is Freiren with a nostalgic smile, that's the strongest possible battle smile to have

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The pages where everything de-golds and Macht looks in shock was super good, all the gold flakes basically screams "this will be the big sakuga scene in an anime" lol

Also fun to contrast the end of the Denken fight vs Frieren's. Macht didn't understand Malice in the end, but there's a lot of nice melancholy, and I think it's easy to read with some of his prior behavior that it's probably a little mutual; meanwhile Solitar being the same little poo poo right to the end. We might get a little bit more next chapter since Macht is still in the process of disintegrating, so I wonder if we'll get a little bow on that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

By the way, I highly suggest rereading the Macht flashback (90-93) in addition 101; aside from a nice reminder of their history together, there's just lots of little lines that I think have more weight now that the fight's over.

And fun things like this!

and a reminder that Gluck was only turned to Gold with everyone else; he wasn't shattered or anything. Considering how he kept saying he'd follow Macht into hell, and how much he liked Denken, wouldn't surprise me if we get something out of him so he gives himself up to save him while getting one last conversation with Macht

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gluck will kill Denken before Macht fades away, which will finally gets Macht to feel Malice. also he kills Gluck or something, gotta follow each other into Hell and all

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well that seals it.
Demons will be demons.

...But maybe Machts own fondness for Gluck and denken didnt let him feel any malice at the end there. i need to digest this chapter a bit more.

Macht clearly exhibited a lot of emotions here. He felt no malice, but the entire chapter is built with sympathy towards Macht and his little personal sadness and revelations.

A lot of the arc has, really.

RuBisCO posted:

Gluck took exactly two looks at the situation before calling for Macht to be obliterated. Stone cold.

hey now that's not fair, he was picking up what macht was putting down.

which in this case was being put down :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

POV you are a random townsperson who wasn't even aware they've been gold for decades:
-macht with a hole blasted in his heart walking away bloody and beaten
-Denken ALSO bloody & beaten on the floor
--and he's OLD???
-there's a giant golem somewhere else in the middle of town with its sword slammed into the ground
-MULTIPLE impaled bodies from people trying to get into el dorado and fighting macht
-That then plop to the ground since the spikes were also gold

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mulva posted:

I mean they couldn't have telegraphed it any harder with "There is exactly one weeks worth of memories she has trouble with after using the monument.".

I dunno the mention of "the time-travel bird" is also fairly blunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think I've ever heard Kino used as slang at all so this entire conversation has been doubly confusing for me