Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This is a nice little series, and I will definitely follow it. The latest chapter is really awesome because it grapples so directly with the premise in a novel way: Chapter 5 has frieran returning to a place where they sealed away the Demon King's top sorcerer. Sealed away 80 years ago, this demon had developed a killing magic that was basically unstoppable. In the 80 years since human mages studied that magic and folded it into the overall magic system to the point where it became basic offense magic and present day defensive magic stops it cold. Thats great!

I really like the concept behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Yo this manga continues to be a delight and full of small surprises.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nice chapter. Himmel phantom asking to be shot and Frieren being like Doi , and then the panel of Fern wombo comboing the demon+heiter were great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Get rekt Frieren

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I'm also in the "yikers" camp on the direction this is moving but at least the humans were also shown to be duplicitous snakes. There is time to salvage this, like if we just get out of this town and back to some funerals...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

[IMG ambulance meme of frieren saying "somebody plan a funeral... but not for me!"]

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

These folks mispelled this name that is a reference in a language they don't speak, let me correct them in an incredibly tedious, obnoxious way

drat I hope frieran attends this guy's funeral

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The opening reveal made me guffaw

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mountaineer posted:

Frieren trying to remove the barrier just made me realize why it's been repeatedly foreshadowed that it's raining outside of the barrier.

:aaa: that smug mage is gonna get poo poo on isn't he?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The magic theory stuff in this manga is really interesting. I like silly stuff like that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I like that there was a certain amount of cheekiness required to pass, something unexpected, and the different ways that panned out.

Clone guy actually never being present is great, as is cutting lady getting by without saying a word prolly cuz she was just imagining how easy it'd be to cut up a tiny elf. Denken passing as well due to getting some vigor back thanks to Frieran is great too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

"Geh Heh Heh! Alcohol is best when its happily relished"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

drat it. Snake people everywhere!

I assume Fern is the one the little demon didn't classify as first class.

Revolte's last line cracked me up since I read it as an exasperate parent whose child asked why too many times.

The non-1st class mage is stark

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

He says "Four mages and a warrior, Three of them first class". Frieren is going to be my guess for the "not first class" mage, because it fits with her constantly being underestimated due to her training.

right :doh: I guess frieren then too

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

*extremely FPS announcer voice* headshot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There is a very dreamlike quality to the way everyone acts. I'd LOVE to see this get an anime adaptation just to see how they'd handle it tbh. I like it and I think Frieren is a great manga, but its not a 100% strong banger. Art is iffy at times and its very fair to question everyone being so stoic all the time, whether it does eventually get subverted. Some times I think of that, but then I read a 2 page set of panels showing the passage of time as the crew chills with panels of funny frieran faces or stark being scolded and I decide who cares, I love this manga!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

fantastic the chapter ends with a kraken attacking their boat, which would be the focus of the chapter in 99% of other mangas

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Frieren's curse is that she is incredibly skilled at making killing magic but can't make magic that unwrinkles doilies to save her life

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I think Frieran will defeat Macht with "Wrinkle Proof Clothing" Magic which will counteract "Turn to gold" magic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Lt. Lizard posted:

Solitare was very obviously provoking Frieren and has proved (in this chapter even!) to not be dumb enough to do it just for lulz, so I wonder what is her angle

she wants to get killed by the famous frieren

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

she's trying to win as efficiently as possible so that if some demon analyzed the battle mana or whatever like solitar did they would be less likely to suspect what her true capacity is. seems like she's playing a very long game

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the mimic itself got the 100th spot nice

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

"So my opponent is the very history of mankind's magic itself" is really cool. I really like the weight of history aspect to Frieran

Good chapter

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

This chapter + Chainsaw Man Anime = today me going "SICK" outloud multiple times

FERN HELL YEA, DENKEN HELL YEA

Frieran: NAH *ZAP* gently caress yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 11, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i hope the anime is like very slow paced, minimally animated montages with beautiful hand painted backgrounds, followed by the briefest interludes of just the most insane sakuga animation beam fights ever put to paper.

alternatively: the most painstakingly animated walking and talking scenes ever put to paper, followed by static images of lovingly drawn but still pictures of beam fights.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

MizuZero posted:

maybe the mangaka is actually the scanlator’s mom

:haw:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

frieren thinking while plummeting to earth upside down :hellyeah:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

tsob posted:

Really, because a title like that suggests just the opposite to me i.e. he's from the past and just caught in the same time loop for a long time or something himself, not that he's from the future.

It works both ways because a remnant could be a remnant of the demon king's army (which implies he is from the future) or a remnant of the past (implying he is from the past ) - its a fun name and I assume we will get an answer in the next chapter or 2 either way

The fact that the hero party never encountered him originally makes it seem like he is from the future

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think they did. Right there. Frieren just doesn't remember this little adventure, because past Frieren wasn't really conscious on the first run.

you're right, I didnt remember the hazy magic aspect of it. Makes sense!

This makes sense if they are in a closed loop and she just forgot it
\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 22, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nihilarian posted:

you seem very confident its not a closed loop and I'm not really sure why. Freieren doesn't remember the encounter because she was not there when it occured - her future self was in the driver's seat.

Yea I just edited my post! Haha! I agree with the conclusions now I didnt think about the magic part actually just making her forget it all.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

YOASOBI and MILET both own, Drown is one of my favorite OP/ED songs in recent memory (Fire Arrow is really good from the same album)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The new chapter link

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 19, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

how did my link not work 😵‍💫

edit: missing a 1 at the end of the url lol

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 19, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Its only felt long because of the hiatus (for me it hasnt really felt long). I am loving it tbh. We've gotten plenty of flashbacks before and they serve to make the modern day nostalgia, yearning, melancholy, etc more impactful. I don't think this will be any different because at this point I gotta trust the author.

Also the anime adaptation of the hero party owns and I wanna see this animated lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Frieren just has that knack for making stuff inpossibly cool. Himmel fighting while technically under a complete illusion. Heiter being so blessed he resists a greater magic. Eisen being like bro all the guys better than me are dead lol

very good end

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

What did Himmel do there. he really did seem to love Frieren

Is it implied he is the one who finished the inscriptions?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

They Chadify'd my boy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Did I get this mixed up with a different manga, I thought they didn't end up slaying the Demon King in the end?

You might be thinking of Versus, they didnt even kill a demon lord let alone the king of all the demons

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

:stare:

Very unexpected plot development but I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Tosk posted:

Serie's exams aren't preventing people from becoming mages though, regarding that point at least. She appears to gatekeep becoming a First Class mage, but I don't think she has done anything at all to keep anyone from learning magic, she just wants the highest obtainable title to remain elusive to anyone who doesn't meet her standards.

Serie did implement some extremely rigid class based hierarchy onto human mage society. Its not just first class mages, Fern only took the 3rd class exam because it was actually being given that year they were in the capital. Whether you think that stops hedge wizards or whatever to actually prevent human progress in magic is another thing though.

Edit: Like if you think about it for a sec, humans are short lived and Serie implemented a series of exams and certifications needed to do mage stuff within her domain that are run on different cadences all with multi-year gaps. If you ever wanted to stymie a race of short lived people you'd probably do something like that. We dont have too much info on what REQUIRES certification, but at the very least travel is restricted. It makes sense from a danger prevention angle, but also stops people from snooping around an area probably rife with magical knowledge.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 7, 2024