Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a pretty new series, with only five chapters translated so far, but it's so wonderful that it should get more exposure.

https://mangadex.org/title/48045/sousou-no-frieren

The demon king has been defeated, and the hero's party must part ways. The elf mage, Frieran, goes on a journey to learn more magic spells for her ever-expanding collection. She returns to meet back up with the party and view the semicentennial meteor shower, and finds that things have changed since she's been gone.

It's a somewhat melancholy, but fun adventure, definitely one of the series I look forward to new chapters of the most now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that it's a recurring thing that she gets tricked and eaten by mimics every single time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

For another example of well-done heavy-hitting end-of-the-heroes'-journey stories, you might also try Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi, a one-shot that's also one of the highest-rated manga on mangadex.

It puts the thinnest of veils over what the "twist" is going to be, but the conclusion still hits like a truck.
very good. I saw the initial twist coming a mile away but the subsequent ones like where it ended totally got me. and actually a rather heartwarming ending, despite the tragic nature of the tale. bravo.

I happened to be listening to this as I read it and it wound up working really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwaEPT4VLZk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
frieran is such a dork

Catpetter1981 posted:

A time progress montage that doesn't have Frieren being eaten by a mimic?? Is that even legal?

it specifically didn't because the chest they found was just full of seaweed. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a feeling they're going to meet Eisen's spirit when they get to Ende

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

It's small.

I love the tiny panel jokes like Frieran trying to pull Fern off that tree or trying to carry her own body mass in treasure. They remind me of how Delicious in Dungeon is jam packed with jokes.

I kind of expect that this manga is going to end with Frieran outliving everyone in this party as well, and then a montage page of all the other parties she outlives in the future, and then we all cry a lot.

I think it'll end a long ways into the future with her dying in bed and her spirit going to be with everyone else she's met along the way in the land of the dead, fully appreciative of the time she's had with others.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

I feel like if the demons are actually a whole species with no empathy who can't understand concepts like family they shouldn't be organized what appears to be more or less along human lines.

Yeah with that shot of the queen with a typically human-ish guard it almost feels like demons are monsters who are playing house, puppets performing an elaborate reenactment of human society without having an actual, fundamental understanding of how human society works or the foundations of said society beyond survival.

this author hasn't earned my confidence that they can pull off a concept like that successfully, I feel like they're TRYING something nuanced but the way they're going about it isn't doing it for me

Brought To You By posted:

Interesting thought. They are organized but they don't actually seem to care about each other the same way people do. Qual is the only demon so far in these two instances that showed actual comradarie and I could easily argue given the way the translation is worded he wasn't actually upset at all about the death of the demon king. This chapter, Wire didn't really care about Frieran's taunts even when it included his superior Aura. There's a certain frankness to how demons handle stuff that goes along with how the child from the last chapter was mostly dispassionate and logical in her thought process. It's likely that they form organizations purely because it's necessary for survival and you know, waging wars against another organized group.
If this were the case though, what's with the organized formality of the queen's throne room, it seems completely unnecessary to their needs in a survival sense

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah if they'd managed to keep the sociopathic, inhuman nature of them consistent that'd be one thing, but to me they've been acting quite a bit more just like rear end in a top hat serial killer people than alien monsters incompatible with humanity the last few chapters. It's a shame.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The demons almost seem like they're amorphous blog creatures, you can see when they get holes blasted through them there's just kind of a neat, featureless hole there. so the idea that they're some shapeshifting creature that are assuming the forms of man would make sense, and thus clothes would be part of their shapeshifting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A very "I AM A GENIUS! OH NO" chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why are you all calling her Frieran? Is it just because the thread OP did it wrong? Literally every person and place has a super on the nose name in German.
Her name is Frieren. Which means freezing. So RIP her.
These folks mispelled this name that is a reference in a language they don't speak, let me correct them in an incredibly tedious, obnoxious way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately she will not be attending it, because she will have frozen to death, as that is what her name means you buffoon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also the casual mention of the passing of half a year to multiple years at a time in a single chapter, which has happened repeatedly recently, meaning we will likely be saying our farewells to the current human party members maybe sooner than we expect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish they hadn't pointed out the mimic thing and just let it be a quiet background montage gag throughout the series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Warden posted:

but even he has no idea about her true age and power..
I think he figured it out when she beat him with basic magic while he was casting Ultima and Luminaire to no effect

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah this was just the team buffing up and eating their super foods before going into the boss room, they even say "ready for the raid?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this arc introduced so many characters, most of whom will likely never appear again because this journey takes time. especially not the standout, rad grandpa denken.

It's not impossible for him to tag along since didn't he just drop the note that his wife died tragically young in the north? And their journey is to visit the land of the dead? He might follow to see her spirit or something.

I'd allow it. He's hilarious in a way the rest of them aren't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a shame, a crisp apple is wonderful

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bendy straws confirmed to exist in the frierenverse

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Syritta posted:

isn't that what "The Chivalric Order in charge of protecting the autonomy here" was
Yeah but didn't they all just get merc'd

What's protecting the town now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hooray, soft bread for everyone!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rubellavator posted:

It's a good thing we have Stark because everyone being so stoic is getting maybe a little old.
yeah the weakest part of this series is how everyone is a robot who doesn't understand how to emote like a human beyond barely smiling

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The manga's better without everyone telegraphing what they're feeling. The subtlety makes it better, not worse.
it's not "subtle" when almost every expression is :geno: or a slight variation thereof. more variety would be nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://mangadex.org/chapter/adac28ba-e5d5-442b-8832-7f28fd3cc303

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I'm pretty sure getting impaled through the gut and out through the spine probably would unambiguously and instinctually elicit more than a surprised eyebrow raise

Like I would expect at minimum a river city ransom BARF or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jerkface posted:

There is a very dreamlike quality to the way everyone acts. I'd LOVE to see this get an anime adaptation just to see how they'd handle it tbh. I like it and I think Frieren is a great manga, but its not a 100% strong banger. Art is iffy at times and its very fair to question everyone being so stoic all the time, whether it does eventually get subverted. Some times I think of that, but then I read a 2 page set of panels showing the passage of time as the crew chills with panels of funny frieran faces or stark being scolded and I decide who cares, I love this manga!
I think the artist might not be very good at drawing kinetic action and so there's a lot of standing there in fights, this past fight with the naga demon really showed it most obviously. I would love to see it animated and hopefully some good choreography for the fights included.

if it's a stylistic choice, I'm not really a fan of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it could also just be a typical trope of a jrpg world

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's the equivalent of a browser tab hoarder because she doesn't need to worry about actual physical space being taken up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah she just tosses all the grimoires she collects into hammerspace

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's gonna invent a mass produced magicpedia tablet full of all the grimoires she's accumulated so that everyone can use magic easily

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurking Haro posted:

*turns your red apple green*
:tizzy:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yeah, it's taken a while but this is the demon that actually sells me on the premise of their kind.
exactly my feeling. I didn't like how they were handled before, but this plotline has some serious potential.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Honestly at this point I'm not sure how long their mom has been sick it's just a constant of the universe. I hope she's well but I blank out those messages whenever I see them.
yeah hi that's how chronic conditions work, I've been taking care of my mom for almost two decades now and the thing about debilitating conditions is they often don't just get better over time. Also very expensive!

So I can understand them saying that every time, because it's not like it just goes away

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

E. Revenant posted:

I'm sad to see Solitar getting violent and threatening torture so suddenly. I was kind of hoping she could join the party for awhile. The current party dynamics could use a shake up and a demon party member sure as hell would do that.

Still a slight chance that Macht would join. I've kind of liked him on the whole. Even for a race of merciless killers he's been noticably the least merciless of them.

macht is absolutely going to die as soon as someone insults his bestie and triggers malicious thoughts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Should just shoot him in the face while he's reversing the magic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat Macht is such a good character

"I cannot permit you to continue attempting to understand coexistence, because it will bring the fall of civilization by the time you finally do" is such a good way to put the situation

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

M_Gargantua posted:

This thread had a massive derail about how portraying the demons as irredeemable was a bad thing because assigning sentiet humanoid beings the racial trait of absolute evil is a bad thing for an author to do.

Solitar is doing something similar
at the time in the thread and the series, the demons had not been nearly as fleshed out as they are now with Macht, solitar, etc, so it was a fair criticism

Edit: not that last bit specifically, but that marking an entire race as irredeemable monsters wearing the faces of people to fool us can easily be done extremely, offensively poorly. It's good that frieren did not drop the ball on it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 22, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah he's gonna shank'im

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Macht spending so much time attempting to live amongst humans, having some success in getting along with them, but ultimately being simply too alien to humanity and anathema to society that this entire storyline ends with nothing getting accomplished even now would be a bold move. At this point I say go for it, give us the bad end for this arc, and let's see if they pull it off well. Or go for the potential for redemption somehow eventually I guess, I'd be fine with either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if they're like, returned damaged souls from that land of the dead the group is journeying to, and their inherent monsterness is because they're only part of a soul

There's been no indication of demon origins or how they breed, has there? I've forgotten some of the series since it began.