Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been doing a lot of cleaning over the last couple months and decided that since I'd be out of work for a while, I'd do a full, empty-every-single-box-and-go-through-it-all cleaning of everything I own, including multiple boxes that I'd kinda socked away in the closet or under the bed and haven't touched in at least a decade. I found some neat stuff and rekindled memories of things I had totally forgotten, good memories, sad memories, but I'm happy I brought them back to the surface. I would love to see other folks get to cleaning as well, dig through the boxes they've let sit untouched forever and post the interesting stuff they may have forgotten about.

I have two huge metal crates, they are airtight and watertight. I don't know who made them or how much they're worth/originally cost, but my dad said they're from the vietnam war, dunno if that's accurate or not. they're probably coated in lead paint if they're that old. anyways, I've used them for storing easily damaged things and as memory boxes, and largely have not opened them in over a decade, short of putting more things in them. Each is a huge, solid metal box that weighs like 40 pounds by itself with 7 heavy spring-loaded latches to keep it shut, and boy, are they ever good for keeping things untouched by the outside world.

It's time to reorganize and see what's inside. let's take a look at what's in one of the crates. (edit: opening the second crate post)

these two incredible hardcover books my grandmother gave me when I was very young, a book about Giants and a book about Gnomes. packed full of gorgeous artwork from the 70s and 80s, and the gnome book was like some kind of Audubon guide to the world of gnomes, it was weirdly fascinating and enthralling as a kid, sometimes terrifying. and also informative about the...ovulation and male potency of gnome sexual reproduction??

The SAWBOSS, a toy from when I was 5 or so. do you know how cool a monster truck with angry eyes, tank treads and a GIANT CHROME BUZZSAW ON A VINE ARM is to a 5-year-old? I'll tell you. it's very cool.

The Butterfly Guide, something left to me by my great grandfather, with beautiful illustrations of a large amount of US and Canadian butterflies from 1915.

a collection of one of the worst advertising ideas in video game history, the scratch'n'sniff Earthbound cards that openly declared "THIS GAME STINKS"

one upon a time there was a store called Blockbuster, and they once had these machines where you could plug in your Pokemon Snap Nintendo 64 cartridge, and print out little stickers of the photos you took ingame. it was super expensive iirc but also the coolest goddamn thing in the world to me as a kid, and my sticker book survives to this day. I'm a pretty good pokemon photographer imo

Captain Power VHS tapes. I don't even own a VCR anymore, and I'm pretty sure I watched these to the point they're unwatchable now anyways, but still, these things ruled.

you could buy a spaceship toy that detected the flashing parts of the episodes and "register" shots you fired, which didn't really work, but damned if my little kid brain cared, that poo poo was AWESOME. I'm not sure if they used the footage from some anime or something but man it was so cool(seizure warning, LOTS of flashing red and yellow lights):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIeuLp1SiY&t=163s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS0S0U0DBQo&t=133s

This mysterious whiskey tin...

contains a long, single scroll of parchment...ancient writings, or possibly the inscrutable comic strips I drew when I was 6. dunno if I'm confident enough to post those on here. :v:

my childhood bug collection. I never killed any of them, just picked up any that I found already dead and put'em in the box. for scale, each slot is about 2.5 inches long. I'm amazed they're all still intact and haven't like, disintegrated, but I suppose the airtight nature of the crate helps that.

do they sell these things at fairs and parades anymore? this nightmare is a god drat fire hazard, it shoots sparks out all over the place from the two metal nubs on the wheel when you press the plunger down.

a welded steel diamond(that I forget the name of the exact gem "cut" shape) that my sister made in welding class(?) in college, one of my favorite pieces of art that she had made.

it has a hinged top that opens to reveal a pink fuzzy secret hiding space

the knothole from a tree that used to be in our yard but fell down. I pulled on it and the whole thing came away, and the entire middle of it was rotted out, so I was able to just poke the rotted wood out and had this perfect, not-rotted wooden tube left. The only memory of a huge tree that once towered over my house.

this really cool handmade brass(?) music box my grandma gave me of a man playing a piano with a big windup bit in the back, it was mostly sheet metal and incredibly dangerous which made it all the more interesting to kid me

A picture of the first hamster I ever had, climbing on a lego bike

some random toys and stuff that was also in there

this really sweet old harmonica I think was from my grandpa? forget where it came from.

a sealed box of ninja turtles jello I apparently put in there. it's probably still good.

and finally, one of the most baffling things I've ever seen, The Titanic Coloring Book that I believe my eccentric aunt gave me for my birthday. I appreciate having it because really, what the gently caress. let's have lots of fun coloring in the drowning engineers, people jumping to their deaths and floating corpses!

this was a really fun trip down memory lane for me, and I hope someone else out there also had fun with this. It'd be cool if this might have encouraged folks who have stuff sitting forgotten in a closet to do some cleaning while they have some time and go through it all. I would love to see what sorts of forgotten treasures and knickknacks goons might have hidden away in storage, in memory boxes, that sort of thing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hay I need that gnome splatbook for my D&D game

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Holy shiiiiiiiit I had that as a kid. gently caress that was awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I grew up pretty poor, most of my toys were from yard sales and cousin hand-me-downs, like that and the SAWBOSS and most of my transformers. So I never got to have the full transforming combining power ranger weapon set that combined with the axe, that sucked. But the axe was still awesome

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You have some really cool junk OP :)

Lemme show you everything I found in my keyboard...

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Captain Invictus posted:

I grew up pretty poor, most of my toys were from yard sales and cousin hand-me-downs, like that and the SAWBOSS and most of my transformers. So I never got to have the full transforming combining power ranger weapon set that combined with the axe, that sucked. But the axe was still awesome

I grew up rich and garage sale toys were always the best. You got to give them your own backstory because the show they were based on had been cancelled since 1979 Your ideas were always better. :hai:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiit I had that as a kid. gently caress that was awesome.

:same:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I got thru all this childhood and the only forgotten box from storage is a metaphor

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

I have an identical one of these a friend gave me as a birthday present nearly 10 years ago. It is currently in a nic-nacs box that was packed up the last time I moved, about 2 years ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Huh, same exact? it's from before I was born, I always thought it was a custom made thing with a music box inside the piano. If it was some mass produced thing that takes some of the magic out of it. Do you know where it came from originally by any chance?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

I think I've seen one of those piano men things somewhere at one point, so maybe it is mass produced. However, I also did a lot of drugs in the past and my memories aren't always reliable.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Sweet find, OP

Captain Invictus posted:

Southern border: In a line from the Belgian coast via Switzerland, the Balkans Upper Black Sea, Caucasus, Siberia.

This has to do with the shorter days and longer winter nights occuring in the lands north of the line.

More proof that the Roman Empire had but a handful of scattered Gnome populations near its northern frontiers

There was no Gnomocaust

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I had a Book about Santa Claus and I'm pretty sure the illustrator is the same one that drew those Gnomes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bet some youtube person like ashens would really appreciate the TMNT jello, and by appreciate I mean curse your name unto the third generation but try it anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bet some youtube person like ashens would really appreciate the TMNT jello, and by appreciate I mean curse your name unto the third generation but try it anyway.

there's actually two unopened boxes, so I could still keep one and send one to some poor idiot who eats garbage for money!

as opposed to this poor idiot who eats garbage for free

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
imcredible jello find

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We had that gnome book growing up! (In South Africa in the 80s). Are there some pictures of trolls torturing captured gnomes by holding them to grindstones?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Saw Boss is from Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, a loving weird kids TV show.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Saw Boss is from Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, a loving weird awesome kids TV show.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

there's actually two unopened boxes, so I could still keep one and send one to some poor idiot who eats garbage for money!
do it or actually also open and prepare one

my prediction: it's gonna look fine, set only halfway, lime flavour will be largely intact but it will taste noticably spoiled

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

I see nothing weird here.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I actually went through some poo poo on the attic a few weeks ago to clean house. Although I didn't find any of my old poo poo aside from a Sega Mega Drive and a Gamecube with a bunch of games, I did find my dead mothers ancient books from like the 60-70's communist occupied Poland, which was pretty neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

My Lovely Horse posted:

do it or actually also open and prepare one

my prediction: it's gonna look fine, set only halfway, lime flavour will be largely intact but it will taste noticably spoiled
someone else can risk it, I'm all done with hilarious old food tasting for the rest of my life after taking a swig from a sealed bottle of 1970s pepsi we found in a hidden alcove in the basement

therattle posted:

We had that gnome book growing up! (In South Africa in the 80s). Are there some pictures of trolls torturing captured gnomes by holding them to grindstones?
yep, and a buncha naked gnomes, too

Archer666 posted:

I actually went through some poo poo on the attic a few weeks ago to clean house. Although I didn't find any of my old poo poo aside from a Sega Mega Drive and a Gamecube with a bunch of games, I did find my dead mothers ancient books from like the 60-70's communist occupied Poland, which was pretty neat.

that's fascinating, were those the only ones?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 27, 2020

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

My uncle gave me those same giants and gnome books when I was a kid, man I'm jealous you still have yours. I would sit on my bed and be engrossed in those images for hours.

Also, that gnome book had some creepy as gently caress content - I vaguely remember some large monster taking a stone grinder to a gnomes rear end or some poo poo.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That TMNT Jello is amazing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

When I was unemployed for a while I had to move back in with my parents so everything was in boxes forever. When I moved into my current place and was unpacking I was very surprised to find the giant box full of 90's Penthouses someone in a TFR Secret Santa had sent me. :smuggo:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

What Lem books are those?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

My uncle gave me those same giants and gnome books when I was a kid, man I'm jealous you still have yours. I would sit on my bed and be engrossed in those images for hours.

Also, that gnome book had some creepy as gently caress content - I vaguely remember some large monster taking a stone grinder to a gnomes rear end or some poo poo.

I see you read my post carefully. Yes, they were trolls. They hunted the gnomes.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

therattle posted:

I see you read my post carefully. Yes, they were trolls. They hunted the gnomes.

Sorry I didn't have time for you, I will give you all the love you need from now on

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can someone post this exciting gnome butt grinding content itt?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Best I could find

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Best I could find

lovingly painted troll asses

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

I had a Book about Santa Claus and I'm pretty sure the illustrator is the same one that drew those Gnomes.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about! My favorite illustration was of the elves making glass ornaments.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

As interesting as the horny, weird gnome book is, that giants book is bad rear end.

I remember some of those illustrations in that book and they bing me back - giants scratching into chalk hillsides, building Stonehenge, evolving chins to carry boulders, and that frost giant in OPs second book image.

You know I think I might just find me a copy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Best I could find

this reminds me of david the gnome

from nickelodeon

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Hi its David the Gnome from Nickelodeon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

As interesting as the horny, weird gnome book is, that giants book is bad rear end.

I remember some of those illustrations in that book and they bing me back - giants scratching into chalk hillsides, building Stonehenge, evolving chins to carry boulders, and that frost giant in OPs second book image.

You know I think I might just find me a copy.

I linked to the amazon pages for those two books, there's some used ones for really cheap, or some new ones for like 40-50 bucks. not too bad for an antique hardcover book.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That Saw Boss is worth at least 50 bucks on Ebay, somebody's got one up for 80 but that's ludicrous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That Saw Boss is worth at least 50 bucks on Ebay, somebody's got one up for 80 but that's ludicrous.
it's super warped, scratched and played with, the undercarraige is all twisted and bent from age or something. like it was some kid's before mine and then I got my grubby little destructive mitts on it too, I'm honestly shocked the chrome isn't super hosed up with how much I played with it and smashed it into things because you KNOW I "VROOM"'d it directly into transformers and lego walls and poo poo with the saw blade out front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh, same exact? it's from before I was born, I always thought it was a custom made thing with a music box inside the piano. If it was some mass produced thing that takes some of the magic out of it. Do you know where it came from originally by any chance?
Not a clue. I don't even know where the friend in question got it from, she never told me and passed away shortly thereafter. Googling "sankyo music box piano man" pulls up quite a few similar results but ours appear to have all the same little details, I haven't found this exact one online anywhere.

Didn't mean to ruin the magic, I still think it's pretty cool regardless.

Big Butt Skinner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 28, 2020