Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source of Happyness
Mar 2, 2007

you should come outside sometime, it is great out here

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was watching those markers as you were talking about them at the start of the video. They bloody well moved!

I think they show you direction and distance _assuming_ you travel on the paths. Meaning, the markers constantly move around wildly as the path winds along the ground because the marker always appears over a path rather than in the actual cardinal direction you need to go.

It would sorta make sense for a game like Grand Theft Auto where you mostly drive on the roads, but who the gently caress uses roads in a post apocalyptic world where you ride robot goats everywhere?

In the options you can change between having the marker follow the roads or just be the beeline to the destination. I think there's also an option for having your mount auto follow the road line as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
F_ _ _ / _ e _ / F_ _ _

For those that know the solution to this puzzle please refrain from answering until the appropriate time in the LP.

We take a tour of a wrecked office building and learn some fun facts along the way.

Once upon a time there was a really smart lady and a really smug techbro. The smart lady worked for the smug techbro making robots that were useful around the house and also cleaned up the environment, averting a global disaster. Not satisfied with being really rich and famous, the techbro decided he was going to start making robots for combat since war is very profitable. The smart lady was not happy with this and told techbro to go gently caress himself. She started her own company making robots/AI that weren't horrid killing machines. This upset techbro, who filed a bunch of lawsuits against her presumably for taking all her own knowledge and experience with her.

Because techbro no longer had the smart lady around to rein him in or actually program something competently, he had the brilliant idea to make killer robots that couldn't be hacked, enslaved other machines, self-replicated, and ate biomass for fuel when they couldn't get to a gas pump. This went fine(?) until one day the robots stopped responding to commands. They began eating orchards, endangered species, and pretty much anything else they could get their metal mandibles on. And they started multiplying like rabbits. Needless to say this was a bit of a problem. Techbro was worried. Worried about his company, his reputation. Not really so worried about y'know, the actual destruction but it was bad enough he swallowed his pride and called the smart lady in to help. She assessed the situation and realized just how hosed everything was. But she came up with a plan to save the day called Zero Dawn. Details are scarce, but clearly whatever she did worked since there are people and trees and turkeys around. Techbro was not happy with this plan but his ego wouldn't allow him to be known as That Dude That hosed Everything Up and so he signed off on it and smart lady got to work.

We also get to meet our mysterious caller. Sort of. He's also a smug poo poo, but at least he hasn't designed any killer robots (yet). Sylens's surface motivations are pretty simple, he wants knowledge.Wants to know what happened, wants to know how things work. This curiosity might have gotten him kicked out of his tribe, but it's also allowed him to figure out how focuses work and how to override them. He's single-minded in this pursuit, and Aloy is pretty much a means to an end for him. He's willing to help insofar as it will get him the answers he's looking for. Not the best ally, but none of our actual friends know poo poo about robots and computers and so we're kinda stuck with him. And having someone be a phone call away if we need help is kinda handy.

We're supposed to head to the Grave Hoard. Y'know, the Metal Devil that's been in the periphery since the beginning of the game. I will probably do some roaming around/sidequest catch up before heading over there. Game is now in the chute proper, welcome to the ride.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I could praise the game here for its excellent writing and very well drawn characters... but I'll let the video speak for itself. Hope y'all enjoy.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ted Faro bad, and the design of his table in his office sucks, that sort of very wide table leg that prevents you from putting your legs under the table and makes placing anything near the table edge dicey really sucks, his taste in furniture mirrors his personality.

Also really nice that they have actually tried to make (audio)logs not be "Hello, I'm some guy and here are my deepest secrets, said in my voice, that I store in a public place."

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

achtungnight posted:

I could praise the game here for its excellent writing and very well drawn characters... but I'll let the video speak for itself. Hope y'all enjoy.

I continue to be amazed that this is a Guerrilla Games product. The company behind the 'Killzone' series. Games which are the very definition of 'Meh, It was alright I guess'.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

EricFate posted:

I continue to be amazed that this is a Guerrilla Games product. The company behind the 'Killzone' series. Games which are the very definition of 'Meh, It was alright I guess'.

i'm a fan, and aside from the first one, think the Killzone games have been relatively underrated despite being Greatest Hits games.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ooh, missed the new update. That was some heavy poo poo and I loved how the game doled out the information as you climbed higher up the tower.

One thing, in the recovered conversations (I swear the voice actor for the computer was holding her nose while reading the lines) Sobek says that if Ted doesn't agree to her plan she'll make sure everyone knows the "real cause of the glitch".

So, someone hacked the swarm, or maybe the poor lady in reception who got her hair pulled decided to get revenge and changed the passwords?

Also, making killer robots who can replicate by eating living things is such a massively stupid thing to do and I can totally see a tech bro making something like that.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, making killer robots who can replicate by eating living things is such a massively stupid thing to do and I can totally see a tech bro making something like that.

Tech bros are wayyy ahead of you on that one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

One thing the came into focus (HEH) in this level was all the stalactites in buildings. I never really knew if they were actually supposed to be ice but considering natural cave stalactites take hundreds of thousands of years to get as big as ones we see here I figured if they were rock this was some wild exaggeration on Guerilla's part but after looking into it water flowing through concrete and other aggregate building materials and dripping out can apparently build them very quickly (relatively). The sheer number of them is probably still wild exaggeration but hey, neat.

Also try not to think about why there might be present day (for Aloy) health potions and animal products several hundred feet up in a previously sealed skyscraper :v:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

FF7 Remake Energy Drink style Potions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Lodging a complaint

Plot progress was made so we're gonna go take care of a couple sidequests. About a hundred years ago we talked to a Banuk who told us about a hunting lodge and asked us to pee on the floor. We check it out and can't even get in the door without 3 "half sun" marks that you get from doing the hunter challenges. Half sun pretty much only requires a pulse - when I said we weren't geared well for it I meant for the best result, which is a blazing sun. The challenges are time limited but if you fail to even get a half sun you may want to take up another hobby. So we head back to our old stomping grounds and do a challenge. There are actually 3 at any given location, 5 locations total. This first one is quite easy, understandably. We pull out 3 blazing suns easy and then go back to Meridian. In order to be a full member we have to get someone to sponsor us.

Now we can actually get in the door and rather unsurprisingly the guy in charge is an rear end in a top hat, despite Avad's decree. We get him to follow the letter if not the spirit of the law and he gives us a name. Talanah is a newly-raised hawk, her mentor having died fighting some thunderjaw. She's about as fond of Ahsis as we are so she gives us a task to go kill a bunch of poo poo which we dispatch in short order. Then we drop those off and get asked to deal with some glinthawks (ugh) at a settlement. We'll take care of that next time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My second playthrough I got Blazing Suns on all challenges. It wasn’t easy, but it was fun. I especially enjoyed the different personalities of the Hunting Groundskeepers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm incredibly upset that you had such an easy time on the logpile challenge. I probably lost half an hour to that trial, no matter where I put the blast charge they always ran as far from me as possible and by the time I caught up they'd all come to a stop convenient just out of reach of any log piles, apparently outside of my control. Most of the challenges are actually cool but that one felt like bullshit.

In general I really like them, they feel like little tutorials for mechanics and combat options you might not have fully considered otherwise.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

The only hunting trials that are that hard are the override one (because you're leaving victory up to the AI) and the stealth one (because it is beyond bullshit).

The DLC one is quite hard as well but that's more down to the new machines being absolute brick walls and needing to actually use the log traps for any sort of respectable time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Only one of the stealth trials is about stealth. The other two, you’re better off hitting the enemy fast and hard.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The only two that give me trouble consistently are the "override 2 ravagers and kill a thunderjaw" and "steal from crabs." WIth the former it's a matter of trying to get the ravagers overridden quickly enough since they're on opposite sides of the arena, the latter is well, crabs, and the fact you have to loot 6 crates. Though on that one you can zerg the group from the left rope and get to the crates before they pick them up, and then with the second group shoot them off with tearblasts and ignore fighting them to grab and run. The main issue is getting pelted by electroblasts from angry metal crustaceans.

My first playthrough took me multiple tries for a lot of them, in this run I think the TJ one was the worst at 3. Also if I'm not gonna make it I just reload from last save so I don't have to fail, go talk to the dude and do it all over - last save puts you at the keeper with everything reset. And by "fail" I mean not get the blazing sun, plenty of times you realize you're going to finish 5 seconds too late so just bag it and start again.

I did the rest of them off-camera since it becomes really repetitive if you're running them all at once (which I did so we could get our new weapons).

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I've always heard good things about this game and with little time to actually play it I'm so glad you're LPing this SP, since you always do such a stellar job with the games you play. Managed to binge it all over the past couple weeks and it's been a very interesting ride. I really liked how they handled everything last episode with Maker's End and the exposition. They really explain the history to you in a way that makes sense in-universe and isn't just heavy handed datalogs or info dumps and I super appreciate that they don't throw any enemies at you. Just let you explore. I really dig that.

Sucks that I'm all caught up now, but I'm looking forward to what is coming.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Why am I doing this again?

Finishing up our hunting lodge quest. We go to the village, kill a bunch of goddamn glinthawks, go somewhere else, kill more goddamn glinthawks, then have our pocket picked by some people who don't know how to farm. Talanah is sufficiently impressed to make us her Thrush which upsets the dickhead in charge. Incidentally, shouldn't an apprentice to a hawk be an eyas or something? A thrush is a completely different kind of bird, and not a raptor. Who came up with this poo poo? :argh: Then we get sent to gather more vanity trophies; in this case a thunderjaw and a stormbird. Upon returning we find both Ahsis and Talanah have gone after Redmaw, specifically after Talanah told us we were supposed to go together. Also Ahsis may or may not have hired some thugs to stop Talanah (of course he did).

We find her getting her poo poo kicked in by like 8 dudes, but I have a grenade launcher. Then Aloy needs to use her focus to follow a trail that looks like it was laid down by a cyclone. I'm not sure Talanah should be doing this if she can't follow these tracks. We find both Redmaw and Ahsis, and then he gets tailwhipped into a rock face and we have a showdown with the thunderjaw. He's a bit harder to fight just by virtue of the area, it's a big bowl with little cover but other than eating some lasers to the face we do fine. Talanah on the other hand gets smacked all over the place with her lovely AI and spends the whole time hollering about it. I gotta wonder how many different yells the VA recorded because it goes on and on and on. Redmaw down we get a nice conversation with Ahsis and by that he bitches at us before keeling over dead. Now Talanah is the sunhawk, yay.

I said next video is sidequests, but it's more clearing some icons off the map. We'll do all of the corrupted zones and a few vantage points. Also the video may still be in SD because it's been processing for a goddamn hour because YT has apparently poo poo itself.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry to hear about your technical difficulties. Good luck resolving them.

I had fun with this part of the game. Little alternate dialogue, but fun story to watch and complete nevertheless. :)

Edit- after watching the video I did recall one but of alternative dialogue. If Aloy hasn’t seen the Snapmaw kill blind slash graveyard on the river before now, she says she’ll hunt for the Glinthawks upriver and guesses the source of their visits when she finds the dead Snapmaws. If she doesn’t have a Snapmaw heart when she meets the irresponsible hunters, she is given a choice. We can kill a convenient nearby Snapmaw who always drops a heart for them- making it clear this is a one time deal- or we can just murder them all. Nothing special happened to me the one time I chose the murder option, but I thought the Snapmaw was an easier fight since you don’t start out surrounded. Whatever.

Also, fire arrows are great against Glinthawks. Never tried corruption or sticky bombs.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 4, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate the attempt at going for the "hunter" kill by tagging Redmaw's heart :v: That was my preferred way to end a fight with them, if only because that felt like a suitable ending, but sometimes they just wouldn't stay still so back to jamming whatever I had on hand down their throat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I enjoyed Aloy poo poo-talking the snap maw hunters like she isn't the goddamn angel of death for any machine which crosses her path.

"So wasteful," she says of the hunters, shaking her head. Then kills half a dozen machines the size of buffalo and takes a single handful of scrap from each.

Also, Aloy despite the Nora really is a great line.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A pretty, great state

Doing some vantage points and clearing out all of the corrupted zones. All our vantage points today correspond with real-world places in my home state. We also run into two machines we haven't seen before, the Behemoth and the Rockbreaker. I go into the Behemoth a bit in the video but don't talk about the Rockbreaker for reasons that will become apparent. Suffice to say they are fuckers, burrowing underground and popping up beneath you. Sort of like thresher maws in ME. Strategy is similar, get your rear end up on solid rock. You can also knock off their claws to stop them from burrowing but they'll still puke rocks at you. And they hit like freight trains.

Next up are more sidequests. Yippee(?).

Here are all the vantages' real-world counterparts, spoilered for...I dunno, reasons I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Powell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Canyon_National_Park (not a vantage but we did go loving around here)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridal_Veil_Falls_(Utah)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City

Also I got a content warning from YT that the video was blocked in some places which worried me. Then I read it was blocked in Iran, North Korea, and Cuba. Don't think I'm losing a lot of viewers there, lol.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Generally photorealistic graphics tend to make me groan, thinking at the time and effort that devs must have put in them but the tourism vistas are pretty sweet, and also a bit more welcome in the plague years, both I and the Utah board of tourism agree.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad to see another Sisters of Mercy fan out there. :rock:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This Corrosion comes in 2 flavors: the 5 minute radio edit, and the 11 minute album version. When the alternative station would play the 11 minute one you knew the DJ had to take a poo poo :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
At around 11:20 in the latest video - are those enemies coming up out of the ground? Have we seen them before, or is my memory just going?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

At around 11:20 in the latest video - are those enemies coming up out of the ground? Have we seen them before, or is my memory just going?

SubponticatePoster posted:

We also run into two machines we haven't seen before, the Behemoth and the Rockbreaker. I go into the Behemoth a bit in the video but don't talk about the Rockbreaker for reasons that will become apparent. Suffice to say they are fuckers, burrowing underground and popping up beneath you.
:eng101:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

This Corrosion comes in 2 flavors: the 5 minute radio edit, and the 11 minute album version. When the alternative station would play the 11 minute one you knew the DJ had to take a poo poo :v:

My local sports bar's jukebox has the full version, so now they have to listen to it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Floodland is such a good album. Even my senior citizen librarian mother liked it. I saw them live during the Vision Thing tour in 90 or 91, I forget which because I'm loving old. I don't know if they're on Spotify or the like because if I want to listen to them I just pull out the CD like an old person, but give them a listen.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Why aren't you using fire weapons against corrupted enemies?

It's always weird seeing someone fight Behemeths because I have no memory of ever properly facing them. The corrupted ones I set on fire and hid while the regular ones always came in pairs so I stuck them with corruption arrows from a distance and waited until there was one left which was so injured it died in one hit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TheKirbs posted:

Why aren't you using fire weapons against corrupted enemies?

It's always weird seeing someone fight Behemeths because I have no memory of ever properly facing them. The corrupted ones I set on fire and hid while the regular ones always came in pairs so I stuck them with corruption arrows from a distance and waited until there was one left which was so injured it died in one hit.
I...have been using fire weapons? Mostly light 'em on fire and then switch to bombs because bombs really gently caress things up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Me read good.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I think I overlooked it if you mentioned it, but are you going to get the secret super-suit and/or go into the DLC?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

I...have been using fire weapons? Mostly light 'em on fire and then switch to bombs because bombs really gently caress things up.

:shrug: Must have been my build, my fire damage was so high didn't need bombs and never used them outside of Ultra Hard.

Just so know if you do the DLC all the new machines and enhanced machines there have invisible resistance to the blast sling.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gideon020 posted:

I think I overlooked it if you mentioned it, but are you going to get the secret super-suit and/or go into the DLC?
Yes to both. We're putting off the DLC since it references things in the main game we haven't seen yet.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Yes to both. We're putting off the DLC since it references things in the main game we haven't seen yet.

If you do it before a certain point in the game it opens extra dialougue with Sylens. It's nothing big but it's there.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Having recently played/beaten this game and its DLC (on Story mode, yes, but still), I can honestly say that it’s pretty good; not the masterpiece everyone else claims it is, but it still is a solid little number. There are a few questionable design choices that make me scratch my head, such as color saturation in certain areas which makes it harder to see climbable surfaces (that may just be my TV and how my room is lit, mind, but I bring it up to explain that these decisions matter) and the size of the subtitles (they’re a little too small to be read with how far away I sit from my TV; I often have to squint or shuffle myself closer to read what’s on-screen).

Thematically, it’s as close to a modern day Xena: the Warrior Princess title as we’re gonna get (by that I mean we have a well written and generally enjoyable female protagonist who goes on episodic quests for various people across the land to acquire rewards and experience for an epic battle that will decide the fate of the world writ large). Seriously, I half expected Ashly Burch to have Aloy do Xena’s famous warcry at several points during my fights while the soundtrack breaks out into an appropriately enjoyable brass cacophony of French horns and trombones. The fact that both of these things didn’t happen saddens me greatly. The gameplay supports this idea in its very fluid combat system (switching from your spear to your bow/s has never been more elegant and slick) and its damage mechanics, though I wish there was more of a visual cue to tell what weapon/armor modifications are currently applied to tell the player how they’re equipped (for example, you could have color coded ribbons be shown on each weapon to quickly tell what type of damage is applied to the weapon or what’s being modified).

Story wise, the main story thread is decent and actually well thought out; it’s in the execution where it stumbles a bit. Some of the plot points are easily spotted from miles away, which makes the eventual payoffs of those plot points lose their punch in a way, but they’re still interesting and engaging enough to mitigate that setback. Some of the main quests also don’t really feel like main quests, in that they don’t really affect or influence the overarching story that much outside of some minor endgame content. That being said, they’re plenty enjoyable enough to play, so it’s not like I loathe them; it’s just that I’m asking why they were made main quests instead of side quests. That being said, some of the side quests are pretty good. There’s one in particular in Meridian that I’m not sure if this LP has covered yet, so I’m going to try and talk around spoilers and say that side quest opened my eyes and made me appreciate the overall story this game was trying to tell and got me even more invested in beating the game.

In terms of characters, I found that I enjoyed playing as Aloy quite a bit, especially by choosing almost every compassionate option presented to me. It made her feel more nuanced to me than, say, going with a mixture of intellectual, confrontational, and compassionate responses because of a whole different tangent that I’m not gonna touch right now. Suffice to say, Aloy is the best female lead I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing, hands down. The characters around her are also interesting and enjoyable in their own way, except for Sylens, who I feel brings an unhealthy amount of gloom and cynicism to the table that really doesn’t jive with the hopeful tone the rest of the game and characters communicate. That’s not to say he isn’t a good character, far from it, but the fact of the matter is that what he brings to the table in terms of tone does not go with what every other character has. The VA work on display runs the gamut from “Actually Good” (such as some of the background NPCs and quest givers; the incidental chatter as you walk by is well written and performed, even though some of the dialogue can get a bit samey) to “Hands Down Amazing” (this is especially true for Aloy/Ashly Burch, who absolutely brings her A-Game and then some; the emotional range in her performance, particularly in her compassionate responses, is a testament to how a great voice actor/actress can make great characters into AMAZING characters). The facial animations do look stilted at certain points, but it’s not enough to bring me out of the world these characters inhabit. If stilted facial animation is all I need to deal with to enjoy this game, then by god, I will suffer through that.

Musically, the soundtrack is gorgeous. No, really! I love it. From the neo-tribal drums to the lilting violins to the meaty brass and vocals that make your heart soar, this soundtrack is the best video game soundtrack ever. Period. For gently caress’s sake, they made goddamn EDM style synths sound tribal and made such a thing work. The fact that most of soundtrack tends to be glossed over while in game is a goddamn travesty that should be considered a crime in most of the civilized world (this is especially true for the Carja chants, which are beautiful and everything I ever want from a religious a-cappella style of chants). I really wish this soundtrack had more chances to shine while in game, which is why I love the DLC slightly more because its soundtrack is allowed to breathe and flow while you’re playing.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this: this game is great. I like this game. It’s solid, fun, and easy to play. I can see why people are willing to go to the mat for this game, and it shows in the attention to detail put in every part of the game.

TL;DR: This game rocks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
RIP one of the key people who made it rock.

https://www.thegamer.com/horizon-zero-dawn-designer-dead/

I assume he worked some on the sequel before he died. Looking very forward to that game. :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Holy gently caress, was I doing an LP? Sorry.

Village people

Knocking out the last of the quests we got from the little village at the base of Meridian. We do the usual scan, find a clue and follow it. I get horribly treated by a snapmaw and then go prying into someone's personal life. Then we go looking for treasure but find something else. Namely an attempted double cross and a lot of murder. So pretty much a regular day for Aloy.

Time to move the plot along, I think. We could probably do another half dozen episodes of random sidequests I stumble across but we've hosed around enough for awhile. Off to the Grave Hoard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I really like how the sidequest Sun and Shadow paid off. It’s the quest that sold me on this game’s world and message. Ashly Burch’s stellar performance as Aloy really shines throughout the ending dialogue if you choose the compassionate route.

It kinda also reminds me of Ultraman, in the sense that our experiences, good and bad, help us bond with others.