Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Benefits of growing up a diplomat brat in Taiwan- I know what Ultraman is and have watched it. :)

The Brightwater side quests are some of my favorite in the game too. Although I have to confess I don't much like the alternate dialogue options for compassion in Sunlight & Shadow. Chewing out a depressed teenage girl for being selfish, true or not, doesn't seem like the best way to repair her emotional wounds. It must be the reason it defaults to the compassionate response if you try that IIRC. Overall, this quest is a good way to bring home emotions amidst the horrors of civil war. I hate it has to end in tragedy, but it probably wouldn't be as powerful otherwise. Two bits of dialogue I do like that SP missed- if your stealth on the two guards outside the outpost is more successful, they will have a short conversation about how they caught a traitor and now they're torturing him. And if you talk to Elida's dad before her at the end, he says she's home but something is seriously off- can Aloy talk to her please? Never tried going after Atral before getting the quest- I bet the game has alternate dialogue if you rescue him from the torture and don't know his name. Maybe I'll try it my next playthrough.

Treasure of Dusk Mesa- Supposedly you can use stealth to get away from the ambush in the second quest SP showed off, but the only time I've tried that they kept chasing me and it didn't work. Either option with Fernund leads to the same outcome. Maybe Aloy considers him too pathetic to kill?

Looking forward to the Grave Hoard, however long it takes us to get there. :)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Not sure I'd call that spot an ambush spot, she has the high ground after all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't know how many times in a game where I've finished a mission and tried to kill an annoying NPC only for the game to tell me, nope.

So satisfying when you can, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's occasionally weird which characters games at least give you the option to kill. Why not this one but those ones over there? I dunno!

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Loving this LP. You are doing a wonderful job, SP.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Using that song made the last part of the video absolutely :discourse:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kitty Burger posted:

Loving this LP. You are doing a wonderful job, SP.
I do appreciate this and I'm sorry I've been neglecting the LP so badly. After a year of quarantine solo I'm going (more) insane. Seems I have the attention span of a gnat and also most everything is :effort: I got my 2nd shot yesterday and can now start interacting with people I'd actually like to interact with so hopefully that helps.

I have footage recorded but last night my laptop decided it has had Enough of This poo poo and refused to turn on. I took it to a shop - think it's just the power button - so hopefully it's back up and running soon. If it's DOA then I'll have to get a new one. Not the worst thing I suppose, the old one is going on 4 years though it still does the job just fine. The footage is on an external drive so nothing was lost.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome to the Second Shot Club, SP! Hope the side effects weren’t too rough on you, I was over them in a day. Good luck getting back in the LP game soon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I had basically no side effects this time. 1st shot gave me a low-grade fever and headache that I took care of with a couple ibuprofen. This time the only thing is a little soreness at the injection site.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I hear dead people

A new update, with a really long video + guest commentators!

Joining us for this episode are CJacobs and Nine Gear Crow. We head to the Grave Hoard, which is right under the giant robit we've been seeing since the beginning of the game. This episode contains a lot of audio logs, which is why it's so long. Were it just normal exploration it'd be maybe 30 minutes. We also do a fair bit of yakking over them, so if people want a no-commentary video I can upload source.

The Grave Hoard isn't the robit itself, it's a bunker underneath where apparently a bunch of Marines made their last stand. I temporarily go blind and get my rear end kicked as a result. There are quite a few Shadow Carja here but for the most part they aren't any trouble. Through the audio logs we get an idea of how things have been going; which is to say not good but the soldiers have put in work, even managing to take down a few of the Horus-class giant fuckoff machines. Their only job is to buy time for Zero Dawn to get finished, even if they don't really know what it is. The SC wake up a Deathbringer and we have a jolly dance. This thing's a gently caress compared to the first one we met, since it actually works. We take it out and then get some more exposition. The top brass aren't crazy about the plan to throw people into a meat grinder, but there isn't really any other option. Then we have a Zoom meeting with Sylens who tells us the what we really need is beneath the palace at Sunfall, AKA Shadow Carja HQ. We can't do a head-on confrontation, but Aloy proposes hax0ring their network so we get pointed in a new direction.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Glad to see the LP back!

And with such good company, too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hooray, the LP resumes!

Haven’t watched the video yet, but will soon.

Fun fact- if you try to access the Shadow Carja Palace in Sunfall before completing the next mission Aloy will notice the guards all wear Focus devices. Sylens then warns her off and she turns away rather than provoke them.

And if you try to access the Grave Hoard bunker before this mission, the entrance is blocked by a boulder.

EDIT- video watched. Nothing new to add other than great job, y'all.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 13, 2021

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Grave Hoard is the bit where the storytelling goes up a notch, imo. It's really threading a needle to go into detail about how utterly hosed everything was in every possible way, without ever actually revealing what Zero Dawn is, and to do so without being so dramatic it stops being believable or so unimportant that you stop caring, and all through audiologs about events we're not actually engaging in. They do really well everywhere else too, but learning about Enduring Victory was the highlight for me. And outside the world of collectible lore fragments, the Metal Devil when you finally get up close, and the fully functional Deathbringer, are so menacing and obviously destructive they totally sell the threat and the scale of what Aloy's got to do.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

achtungnight posted:

Fun fact- if you try to access the Shadow Carja Palace in Sunfall before completing the next mission Aloy will notice the guards all wear Focus devices. Sylens then warns her off and she turns away rather than provoke them.

I had this happen to me and it was a great little "what the gently caress who the hell are you why are you in my head?" moment.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

That log about 'low risk of suicide', I don't think it was suicide as a result of fighting the Faro Plague. It sounded like she was part of the US military when they went all-robot, and the 'risk of suicide' was in relation to being kicked out on the street during a recession with basically 0% chance of getting a job.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If anyone is really bored I'm gonna be streaming the first couple hours of Mass Effect LE in a couple minutes because I can't stop giving Bioware money :shepspends:

https://twitch.tv/mosquitojones

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Glad to see the LP back!

And with such good company, too.

The favour will be returned in time, as SuponticatePoster will be joining CJacobs, Blind Sally and myself for the remaining episodes of Killzone: Shadow Fall, which we’re currently in the process of recording. God willing, we’ll have the whole game in the can by next Saturday, so stay tuned!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If only humanity had arrows instead of terrible useless railguns.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

If only humanity had arrows instead of terrible useless railguns.
They do look really cool though, which accounts for a lot!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When you wield dismounted guns they actually kick quite a lot of rear end! Lack of mobility is the main problem.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

When you wield dismounted guns they actually kick quite a lot of rear end! Lack of mobility is the main problem.
There is a skill you can get that increases your mobility when using heavy weapons. You're still slow, though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There was a gameplay reveal today on HZD2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQATS4HOxdo. Gave it a watch and there weren't any spoilers I noticed. Game looks purty.

Long holiday weekend for me, gonna go fishing tomorrow but I will get an update out before it's over.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Remember, players, in HZD2 each robot elephant takedown still only counts as one! :D

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ooh, so pretty.

Really liked the glimpse of the forcefield umbrella, too. I wonder if it upgrades to a hang glider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQATS4HOxdo&t=593s

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Experiencing technical difficulties

Good news, everyone, I'm technically still alive! We had the hottest June ever with lots of over 100 degree days, and my poor little portable swamp cooler was running nonstop. Even then, at one point it was 91 degrees inside the house. So a few phone calls and $5500 later I had central air installed and I'm now broke but not in danger of baking like a biscuit so updates are back on the menu.

Before we can get where we need to go Aloy has to crash the focus network so she isn't immediately ganked by Shadow Carja the second she sets foot in Sunfall. Sylens is his usual cheery helpful self and gives us some simple instructions. Just waltz into their main base and smash a modem. NBD. A few fire arrows and blast bombs take care of the rearguard. We also get to read a bunch of Helios's livejournal updates. Dude needs therapy. Then we find the tallneck we're looking for, except oops, Hades is also there. And turns out Hades is one of the big fuckin' Cthulu robots, double oops. He's less than pleased to see our ENTITY rear end hanging around and calls the Carja cops on us. Aloy has to gtfo right quick, and if you're at all slow here there's a good chance you'll get blowed up/arrowed to death so have some healing handy and engage in speedrun parkour. After reaching safety Aloy has a heartwarming conversation with Sylens about trust and we get our next goal, which is to head to Sunfall where HZD HQ is located.

We will go there next, but complete a couple sidequests before we do the actual mission. Also I'd unhooked my PSVR since it was too drat hot to use anyway, so now HDR works but it kind of makes the recorded videos weird so the next couple might look a bit color intense. I'll make sure to turn it off before I record again.

Also I uploaded this like an hour ago but YT is taking its sweet time processing the HD version so you may want to wait a bit before watching unless you want to enjoy 360p.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad you’re still alive, SP. Congratulations on the new AC system- hope it is worth the price.

On the video-
- Lots of action in this mission. Lots of insight into the characters of Hellas and Sylens too. All very enjoyable. I don’t have any alternative dialogue for this mission but I am sure I will for upcoming ones. I look forward to those.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Glad you aren't cooking alive. Sucks about the cost. Great job on the update though, very much looking forward to the next update.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like that the Metal Devil squid thing is so genuinely alien and ugly.

Even though the Big Bad isn't "inside" it, releasing it would still be a nightmare because we know it can make all the other machines by the simple process of eating everything in existence.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How can you not like Sylens.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Finally caught up with the videos, thanks for a great lp of a great game!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well holy mother of gently caress, this hasn't dropped off into archives.

We'll just pretend the last 2 years hasn't happened and pick up where we left off. I had a hard drive crash and lost some footage. I patched this up with replaying sections on the PS5 so video quality will vary for the next bit until we've used all the existing remaining video. You can play on PS5 with no issues and it renders the game in glorious 4k60. And now, progress!

Dr. Feelbad

We make it to Sunfall, the seat of the Shadow Carja. On the way in we stop to do a little sidequesting. One of the refugee's little sister is sick and according to him the only healer is an rear end in a top hat. Jaunting down to talk to him it turns out yes, he is an rear end in a top hat but it's somewhat understandable as he has to buy his own supplies which are only available via smuggling and the army makes him treat their wounded as a priority with no recompense. Dunno why he doesn't just gently caress off back to civilization, but here we are. He'll actually do doctoring if we can get him a thunderjaw heart so we go to take care of that. Along the way we watch a bunch of SC guards get completely owned by random machines. Then blow up a thunderjaw and get its parts. Sufficiently bribed compensated the doctor does his doctorly duties.

Short episode, it was right after this that a chunk of footage went missing so I had to re-record the section on PS5. I sound like I was talking into a tin can because I got a new rig and I had to install all the software and my settings are still hosed up. However through the power of an RTX this episode took a whopping 3 minutes to render so at least we have that going for us.

Pizuz
Sep 15, 2008
Woohoo!

tme
Dec 15, 2008
Good things come to those who wait. Glad I didn't wait for nothing, and good to see you back-ish.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Good to see you return, I was wondering what happened to this LP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does this qualify as a blast from the past?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the legend returns

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Subpontatic Poster!!!!!! Aloy!!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Finally we'll find out what the deal is with that Ted Faro chap.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I heard he likes to gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Aw, thanks guys!

Sally posted:

the legend returns
:powercatte:

The sad trUth(id)

Back at Sunfall. After we'd bartered mechanical parts for medicine, we head inside. It is totally possible to come to Sunfall super early, once the full map is unlocked. If you haven't done the mission from episode 33 Sylens will yell in your ear about going inside even if you haven't spoken to him yet and Aloy won't enter. It's neat that the game does this. After a brief moment of tension it turns out that yes, we really did crash the network and these people don't know us from a wandering Banuk. There's some sport going on in the Sun Ring and we spectate some random guards getting completely worked by a behemoth. Further on in there are a few non-Carja who are there to pick up a bounty on a dude and see the world's stupidest hat. We get accosted by a mysterious woman asking us to meet her outside. This conversation takes place over Mr. Dumbhat explaining why there's a bounty on the guy, which is kind of weird. You'd think that they'd actually allow you to hear it if they went to all the trouble of actually having the actor voice lines. Short version is the wanted guy supposedly tried to kill the child king Tutankhamen, excuse me, Itamin.

There's nothing stopping you from jumping off the balcony and proceeding with the story mission, but it will lock you out of sidequesting in here so Sylens will ask if you're really positively sure you want to proceed. We don't so we just head back to tent town where the lady is handing out crappy fruit to kids and telling them to feed their families with it. If they're really a gift from the queen you'd think she could do better. Hell, even if it's just Vanasha doing it you'd think she could do better. Vanasha is a spy from Meridian working inside the palace. She says Uthid is really a good dude and must have some dirt on someone or else they wouldn't put a bounty on him. We agree to go save him from his fate.

After I completely forget where I'm going we have a bit of tracking and some combat. Then we round a corner into a cutscene and Uthid explains that people were turning up dead in the tents and after they caught the culprit Bahavas turned him loose and then killed Uthid's men to cover it up. Uthid got away and so the manufactured story about attempted assassination and the hiring of random mooks. Then the mooks show up and we fight. Well, Aloy fights. Uthid's AI is complete poo poo and mostly he stands around like a moron. Even when he does attack someone he does little to no damage so it's pretty much up to us to do all the work. After taking out 2 squads we face off against Bahavas's bodyguards who are all heavies and one has a rocket launcher so it's a bit hairy. Once that's taken care of Uthid shivs Bahavas and then Vanasha shows up. She took care of the third squad offscreen which is too bad, it would've been awesome for them to run up on the party while we were busy and have her kick rear end for us to see. She's arranged to get Uthid to Meridian and asks us to help smuggle the queen and toddler king out, and also shits on the kid's artistic talents.

Griping because I had to record this section twice (three times if you count the original footage). You can record in 4k60 on the console, but it exports as a .webm file. WTF Sony, your own goddamn video editing software (Vegas) won't open that kind of file. I tried converting it with VLC to mp4 which took a couple of hours, and then it still wouldn't open the loving file. I also tried just rerendering it in the PS video editor app Share Factory, which is what I did the DAI LP on, but no dice. It also exported the loving thing as a .webm. If I want to eat up 13 gigs of space on my SSD for a video file, let me you assholes :argh: You can upload directly to youtube which I also did, thinking I could just download the source file as mp4 and go from there. Did you know it takes YT 8 loving hours to render a 4k video of approximately 40 minutes? And then once it finished I dl'd it and it was a weird aspect ratio and a lovely resolution. Motherfucker. The next part of the quest I do have old footage for, but I don't think the saves still exist since HZD has a limited number of quicksaves/autosaves it keeps before overwriting older ones. I know a manual save I did is at the beginning of the next section, but I may end up replaying the whole thing again and it's not a short quest. If that turns out to be the case I'm turning the difficulty down to "doesn't have thumbs" and powering through so we can get back to the main plot with a minimum of disruption.