Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pity the Machine, for it can never see Rost's magnificent beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The video's been fixed, but you may want to wait a bit as YT is being a complete rear end in a top hat about processing it. Unless you want to watch in stunning 360p.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The commentary has been restored to the videos. Praise All-Mother!

Obviously and ominously, someone is controlling or enhancing the machines; if an oblivious child can learn to use a piece of the technology on her own, certainly various adults can arm themselves with them.

Also, apparently, Rost never told Aloy about courtship or whatnot.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
What purpose serves that big round "medal" on Rost's shoulder? Some insignia, that identifies his role or rank within the Nora? Or just some fashion statement?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OutofSight posted:

What purpose serves that big round "medal" on Rost's shoulder? Some insignia, that identifies his role or rank within the Nora? Or just some fashion statement?
I think it's just decoration, it's never pointed out or mentioned. Like Aloy's necklaces. The Nora seem big on adornment.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nice of the game to spoiler future encounters through your inventory.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yes, the video is much nicer now. ;) Can’t Wait for the next. I’ll have more comments then.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scalding Coffee posted:

Nice of the game to spoiler future encounters through your inventory.
Yeah, I guess it was either too much of a pain in the rear end to make it dynamic or nobody thought of it.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Flair posted:

Also, apparently, Rost never told Aloy about courtship or whatnot.
The boys can't talk to you if you're an outcast.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Epinephrine posted:

The boys can't talk to you if you're an outcast.

That has not stopped any males from talking to her before she entered the village. Besides, regardless of whether male, female, or something else was going to hit on her, Rost believed that Aloy would be accepted by and be integrated into society, yet Rost did not tell her to look out for any "super seducers".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love the worldbuilding in this so much, the world itself (which is really cool, especially stuff they allude to here) but also how they present the people themselves and the oral histories they've developed to explain their past. I didn't really know anything about the game's background when I played it, but it's just kind of amazing given what the studio had put out before.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

achtungnight posted:

Rost's final lesson to Aloy was that you shouldn't just get good at hunting down dangerous machines to serve yourself but to help others- protect them from said dangerous machines. I agree the game doesn't really put forth the lesson well.
What I got from Rost's lesson was 'hey, you're not just passing the prooving to become a brave of the tribe to get answers, you're becoming a brave of the tribe which has responsibilities and obligations attached to it. which include protecting these lands from sawtooths and other things you've never seen before.'

Which is still poorly delivered. Mostly because Rost appears to have some really bad guilt/outcast/tribal law hangups and has problems telling Aloy basic stuff like this because of them.

Also because I'm sure even he knows that Aloy would not be too hot on doing things for the Tribe on principle because of her being born an outcast.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love the worldbuilding in this so much, the world itself (which is really cool, especially stuff they allude to here) but also how they present the people themselves and the oral histories they've developed to explain their past. I didn't really know anything about the game's background when I played it, but it's just kind of amazing given what the studio had put out before.
I can believe a metal devil existed because it is right over in that direction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Scalding Coffee posted:

I can believe a metal devil existed because it is right over in that direction.

It's like if we told stories about Washington or Jefferson being stone giants wreaking havoc across the land, except it was true

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I can only assume that if poking around an ancient underground office park or w/e is bad, hiking up to the Literal Metal Devil Corpse and hitting it with a stick to see what happens is really frowned upon!

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
love me a good splp. i humbly request that you slide around more.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

wereboat posted:

love me a good splp. i humbly request that you slide around more.
You will enjoy some of the future videos. It's like a ball game and I'm stealing every base!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm torn between watching this because it sounds like a cool game and not watching it because it sounds like a cool game that will eventually come out for PC.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
comes out on PC this summer, no?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dash Rendar posted:

comes out on PC this summer, no?

Yes, at some vague point. The devs still haven't given an exact date/ announced a delay yet so it's a wait and see situation.

Edit: Even has a Steam page .

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 5, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So it occurred to me today that flirty mohawk guy said the 'derangement' started about 15 - 20 years ago. Isn't Aloy about that age, too?

An orphan motherless child found at the same time as the machines go from docile to hostile. I have no idea what that means, but it can't be a coincidence. She's our protagonist, of course everything in the world revolves around her.

Also, love that they've already mentioned the giant mountain squid mech in the distance is the "Metal Devil" so we know who we'll eventually be fighting.

But, it died attacking the All Mother, so does that mean their god is inside that mountain in the distance? We've seen the ancients liked to build underground, so maybe there's a facility there like the one where Aloy found her focus?

Can you even reach it, or is the way blocked off by plot walls?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 5, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The game has parkour, mountains and a giant metal hulk that may or may not still be active. Aloy's gonna climb it and grind her way down on an ancient hovertech skateboard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

an ancient hovertech skateboard.

which is also a dinosaur

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hwurmp posted:

which is also a dinosaur

Just went looking for skateboards with legs and was very disappointed to see no one's ever made one.

Something like Theo Jansen’s Strandbeests, but smaller.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SIGSEGV posted:

The game has parkour, mountains and a giant metal hulk that may or may not still be active. Aloy's gonna climb it and grind her way down on an ancient hovertech skateboard.
garrus.sicknasty.jpg except Aloy

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Teersa: Aloy, good, you're finally here. I've waited so long for you to own some idiots.

I mean, that's what she's setting up, right?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So it occurred to me today that flirty mohawk guy said the 'derangement' started about 15 - 20 years ago. Isn't Aloy about that age, too?

An orphan motherless child found at the same time as the machines go from docile to hostile. I have no idea what that means, but it can't be a coincidence. She's our protagonist, of course everything in the world revolves around her.

Also, love that they've already mentioned the giant mountain squid mech in the distance is the "Metal Devil" so we know who we'll eventually be fighting.

But, it died attacking the All Mother, so does that mean their god is inside that mountain in the distance? We've seen the ancients liked to build underground, so maybe there's a facility there like the one where Aloy found her focus?

Can you even reach it, or is the way blocked off by plot walls?

The game is full of plot walls. Examples- the gate Rost leads you through to fight the Sawtooth only opens in that cutscene where you walk through and then again permanently later in the game. Outside these moments, it's closed, no way to get through. Also, once you enter Mother's Heart, you can't get out until you proceed with the plot. Before the cutscene that gets you in and telling Rost you're ready, you can't get into town either. Nor can you get into Mother's Watch, the other gated village in the Embrace, which surrounds the entrance to the Nora's sacred mountain. And if you go too far off the edge of the map, the game warns you and then reloads your last save. So yeah, you got some plot walls.

You can go into the third Embrace village- Mother's Cradle- any time you want. If you do it before the Proving plot events, Aloy is still an outcast and no one will talk to her. You can try to greet people (any non-plot-prominent NPC has a prompt called "Greet So-and-So" on them, but they don't say much)- however they're all just like- "The law says I can't talk to this outcast." "The outcast doesn't respect our laws." "All-Mother, make her go away." and so on. Even the children are like this. It's very sad. Only named NPCs- Rost, the questgivers we met, merchant Karst- are different at this point.

Of course, as the game plot progresses, things may change.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The LP's off to a nice start, and it made me go back and restart the game for myself after playing a few hours and quitting a few years ago. So, thanks for that! H:ZD is that special combo of a fun game and an excellent setting, which not too many open-world games manage to pull off, and I'm honestly not sure why I stopped playing it back then. Hopefully I'll finish it this time.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 8, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So my current theory is that the whole shunning thing might have started because of some sort of plague as a quarantine thing. Maybe it was something that drove people mad too, which is why it's also used for some other things. Also, since there's apparently a "corruption" status effect that's mentioned in the clothing attachments, it might be the same thing.

I really liked the whole All Mother creation myth thing, too. You can see where things likely came from, and it follows in a reasonably logical way. It's neat.

edit: Also, I'd like to express concern regarding the Focus: not only is it likely to not be very popular with the Nora, but it's an ancient piece of tech on the side of our head, apparently literally beaming information directly into our brain when the machines have some sort of hivemind, and were taken over by SKYNET or something.

azren fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 8, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

achtungnight posted:

The game is full of plot walls. Examples- the gate Rost leads you through to fight the Sawtooth only opens in that cutscene where you walk through and then again permanently later in the game. Outside these moments, it's closed, no way to get through. Also, once you enter Mother's Heart, you can't get out until you proceed with the plot. Before the cutscene that gets you in and telling Rost you're ready, you can't get into town either. Nor can you get into Mother's Watch, the other gated village in the Embrace, which surrounds the entrance to the Nora's sacred mountain. And if you go too far off the edge of the map, the game warns you and then reloads your last save. So yeah, you got some plot walls.

You can go into the third Embrace village- Mother's Cradle- any time you want. If you do it before the Proving plot events, Aloy is still an outcast and no one will talk to her. You can try to greet people (any non-plot-prominent NPC has a prompt called "Greet So-and-So" on them, but they don't say much)- however they're all just like- "The law says I can't talk to this outcast." "The outcast doesn't respect our laws." "All-Mother, make her go away." and so on. Even the children are like this. It's very sad. Only named NPCs- Rost, the questgivers we met, merchant Karst- are different at this point.

Of course, as the game plot progresses, things may change.

Thanks for this.

I've never been a fan of plot walls in open world games, but given that we're still in Tutorial World, I can forgive them.

I just wanna see robot dinosaurs!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for this.

I've never been a fan of plot walls in open world games, but given that we're still in Tutorial World, I can forgive them.

I just wanna see robot dinosaurs!

Yeah, I'd say once you're out of the game's prologue there's actually no more plot walls than you'd really expect in your average open world game. There's certainly quests where you're unable to leave a defined area because it's Plot Time, and there's areas which you can't access without an appropriate "key", but as a general rule if you can see a place in the game, or if it's on the map you can probably go there. There's even some changed monologue from Aloy if you go to some places which are plot-important before you know they're plot-important.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well I just did commentary for the next episode...only to realize that the mic was muted. :bang: So I'll try this again after work, expect an update later this evening.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Proving yourself

Got a couple things to do. First we take part in a pretty but rather mean to us ritual. Then we get to talk to people. Teersa is nice and supportive, but won't tell us poo poo for now. She does make a decent point about casting people out; that it's more humane than just killing them outright. A lot of primitive societies were brutal with punishments and at least they don't disfigure them or burn them at the stake or whatever. Otherwise she really can't tell us poo poo unless we win the Proving. We chat with the priest who almost got tomato'd to death and then talk to Olin. He's really cagey and obviously not telling us the truth but we don't have any way to force the issue so we let it drop. Then we meet another rear end in a top hat and the little poo poo boy who hit us with a rock. He's still a little poo poo but taller now. Aloy gets some burns in. If you took one of the other options when he throws the rock at you you'll get different dialogue. We also meet someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, and is actually nice to us for a change. Then we go to sleep.

The next day is the Proving. And, well, some poo poo happens. I'm not even going to talk about it until people have a chance to watch the video.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I love how The Proving subverts the expected YA tropes, and subverts them HARD, while setting up the larger plot in the process. The real Horizon Zero Dawn starts here.

Also RIP Rost :(.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm amazed that they let Aloy be so angry when she talks about her circumstances.

She has every right to be, and you can hear the fury just below the surface that she's a hair's breadth from saying "gently caress all of you," and making them eat her fists.

If it wasn't for the boon and the chance to find out what the matriarchs know, you know she wouldn't even be doing this bullshit.

EDIT: That bush at the 30 minute mark was deadly.

And that whole scene was done directly under the Metal Devil. That map view - those are some loooooong tentacles :aaaaa:

EDIT 2: Okay, we're in the middle of the Nora lands, yet somehow a hundred guys with guns and carts full of explosives can just wander in?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 10, 2020

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT 2: Okay, we're in the middle of the Nora lands, yet somehow a hundred guys with guns and carts full of explosives can just wander in?

Chalk it up to gameplay concessions? While distances are quite compressed for reasonable travel time, imagine huge areas of nothing but trees and wildlife. Like hiking through one of the big national parks like Yellowstone or Yosemite.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 10, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Megillah- I think our Nora guards were a bit distracted watching the Proving and the official Carja ambassadors, and thus they missed Crispin Freeman (I'll refer to the big psycho by his voice actor until we get his name) and his thugs invading. Said thugs are also very good at sneaking around, were previously hiding in places most Nora don't visit, or both. Plus, you know, they got plot on their side. That can cover a lot of things.

This game is actually my first exposure to Ashly Burch's sass, and I like it. "Are you going to shut your mouth? That would surprise me." :rofl:

Alternate Dialogue- As we saw, Aloy will reference the rock throwing incident in her confrontation with Bast. The exact dialogue depends on what you did to counter his attack. If you knocked the rock from his hand, the bully is understandably shocked. Aloy mentions the look on his face when she did it as the part Bast leaves out of his "cherished memory". If you chose to drop your rock (canon response, btw, as New Game Plus automatically skips your childhood training and always references this option), Bast will laugh and get ready to throw again before another kid stops him. Aloy tells him twelve years later- "that was the day the other kids learned you were a monster. You leave that part out of your memory, I'm sure."

Gotta say seeing Bast's reaction to Crispin Freeman's goons attacking was a great comeuppance for his character. He expects to be the number one Brave of his class, and he can't even be brave. Pathetic. Glad we had Aloy and Vala to step up.

You can treat Teersa & Vala different in their dialogue, but the conversation pretty much plays out the same. Bast too, far as “you’re afraid” vs other alternatives. If you choose to honor Aloy’s mother with the lantern, she will remind us we still have no idea who that woman is. I agree it makes sense to honor Rost.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2020

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Does the game ever comment on the inherent discrimination against childless women in the matriarch system?

Also ROST NOOOOOOOOOOOO

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Meadowhill posted:

Does the game ever comment on the inherent discrimination against childless women in the matriarch system?

Also ROST NOOOOOOOOOOOO
No. I think it was "hey this would be kind of a neat and different way for a matriarchal society to assign power" without thinking past that. It makes sense for a primitive tribe to reward having offspring but it doesn't go any deeper.

VolticSurge posted:

I love how The Proving subverts the expected YA tropes, and subverts them HARD, while setting up the larger plot in the process. The real Horizon Zero Dawn starts here.

Also RIP Rost :(.
This is a really great scene the first time you play. The jerks are cheating and you're at a disadvantage, and then you still come back to win. That's kind of expected since Aloy is the protagonist. You get about 3 seconds of "yeah! now I get to find out - " THUNK and then the poo poo hits the fan. With the scene in the bunkhouse you've got the idea that you're going to have a friend and an enemy/rival but everyone gets slaughtered. The bad guys have advanced tech (my reaction in the video was pretty much my reaction IRL to that part), they're not bothered by killing what are for all intents and purposes children. And Aloy doesn't even get a punch in before getting her throat slit. If it wasn't for Rost she'd be dead.

The next episode will give us the plot, effectively. If you don't know what's coming, well, strap in kids. It's gonna be a ride :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

TBH, I started frowning at the obvious YA setup and I enjoyed watching it get different. Pity about those sacrificial characters, I'm sure they could have been great friends and or rivals.