Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

on a better, less hellish timeline the orbital mechanics or whatever of Mars and Venus would be slightly different and make these places habitable like the pulp novels said

Venus would be rainforests and Mars would be arid but with weirdo neolithic canals or whatever

and the USSR would have colonized Venus! it would be the true destination for Tim Curry, unspoiled by capitalism

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rah! posted:

spiss the final fucktier

these are the voyages of the starshit enterpiss

imagine an entire planet composed of piss. piss planets just sitting out there for the taking. Donald John Trump has commissioned the space force and their first mission is to map and colonize these critical extra-solar resources

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/is7s1lV.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems about right.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Marzzle posted:

imagine an entire planet composed of piss. piss planets just sitting out there for the taking. Donald John Trump has commissioned the space force and their first mission is to map and colonize these critical extra-solar resources

:patriot:

i won tickets to ride piss challenger 1 out there

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nevermind i went to "piss challenger 1 launch pad" its an arbys

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I call it the "super duper missile"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

wolfs posted:

on a better, less hellish timeline the orbital mechanics or whatever of Mars and Venus would be slightly different and make these places habitable like the pulp novels said

Venus would be rainforests and Mars would be arid but with weirdo neolithic canals or whatever

and the USSR would have colonized Venus! it would be the true destination for Tim Curry, unspoiled by capitalism

in a further alternate timeline, the soviets would have send more probes to mars than venus, colonized mars, and cemented its title as the Red Planet

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twoday posted:

in a further alternate timeline, the soviets would have send more probes to mars than venus, colonized mars, and cemented its title as the Red Planet

the Soviet probes to Venus are seriously impressive feats of engineering tho

like, sure, the probe has to last a long time to go to mars and it has to deal with a bunch of dust and poo poo

hitting Venus is easier, but between the intense heat, the incredible atmospheric pressure, and the clouds of literal loving sulphuric acid, making it down to the surface in a useful condition is a hell of a feat

and they didn't even know what Venus's atmosphere was like when they started. when they first managed to get an intact probe into the Venus atmosphere, they looked at the initial data coming back and realized there was no fuckin way that design was gonna survive all the way to landing. but they had two more already under construction, so they had to be modified into atmospheric probes

to this day, no one but the Soviets have ever had the finely-honed combination of guts and insanity needed to attempt to put a functioning lander on the surface of Venus. the only real photos of the planet's surface come from Soviet landers. and even then, there's not that many because half of the landers had malfunctions of some kind in the fuckin camera lens caps

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They also lasted a few minutes before they melted on the surface.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Well, when stars die they go supernova, and that sends out a giant explosion of radioactive death all around it. That happens in the Milky Way once about every 50 years or so. If it’s too close to you, your planet pretty much gets sterilized. They think that one may have hit earth 2.5 million years ago, and while it wasn’t close enough to kill all life on earth, it seems like it may have caused a megafauna extinction event. So colonizing mars won’t really help avoid this either, to avoid this you have to travel to different part of the galaxy if you want your species to survive, and one theory is that they all just go extinct before they manage to do that

Will frozen sperm and eggs be shielded at all by their storage? Will we be saved by a generation of test tube babies?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
*Carl saganly* the Piss. Planet.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Only stars above a certain mass so supernova, ones like ours will turn into a white dwarf iirc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pomp posted:

Will frozen sperm and eggs be shielded at all by their storage? Will we be saved by a generation of test tube babies?

Water is good at shielding against radiation, so if you just jack off into a big bath tub, that should protect them.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

twoday posted:

It’s a Trope in fiction that Venus is Soviet and Mars is American

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Water is good at shielding against radiation, so if you just jack off into a big bath tub, that should protect them.

not everyone keeps a cum tub?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Only stars above a certain mass so supernova, ones like ours will turn into a white dwarf iirc

it'll go red giant first, iirc

this will completely destroy Mercury, Venus, and probably Earth too

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rah! posted:

space is really loving big and old and we haven't looked at 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it yet

Honestly, when that probe from Alpha Centauri blows up an american scoutship and drops a plague missile in Sudan, you'll be nostalgic for the current silence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

Honestly, when that probe from Alpha Centauri blows up an american scoutship and drops a plague missile in Sudan, you'll be nostalgic for the current silence.

Yeah but it turns out they are allergic to water and we'll be saved by some kid whose lungs shut down because of asthma or whatever spills a glass of water on them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

its ok i hacked the pyramids mainframe i know how 2 fly them

u cant trap me on the plague planet, alienailures

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Fleetwood posted:

why does it have to be Space Force, why not a portal to another dimension, or investigating the secret continent that the air force found decades ago

we need to develop military space culture because of the potential for rogue US military actors who are space pirates and ongoing threats from Space Nazis. we aren't competing with Russia and China for space dominance, we're competing with ourselves

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia3/ciencia_flyingobjects197.htm

Zealandia isn't secret :colbert:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol wanna follow the flying R

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Lawman 0 posted:

Bussard ramjets loving own though so maybe they got the right idea? :hmmyes:

The classic one frankly don't work on both the drag and the fact that it requires god tier - proton-proton - fusion to work levels, but ones running on CNO fusion, or scramjets or using the collected gas as propellant rather then trying to burn it for energy look potentially viable.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

PawParole posted:

It’s a Trope in fiction that Venus is Soviet and Mars is American

Also in classic 50s UFO Contactee Mythology, where Venus is full of bishounen space communists and Mars is full of belligerent dumbfucks who destroyed their civilization ages ago

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
space is cool but manned space flight is pretty dumb imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1266025752279080960?s=21

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Is this the Star Citizen fanfic thread?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

euphronius posted:

why don’t we see evidence of other alien civilizations

it’s wierd

because who the gently caress would want to talk to sentient meat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Main Paineframe posted:

it'll go red giant first, iirc

this will completely destroy Mercury, Venus, and probably Earth too

yeah it's gonna fuckin own

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

euphronius posted:

why don’t we see evidence of other alien civilizations

it’s wierd

the universe is incredibly young compared to how long it will last and it's entirely possible that even with the long time that has passed, we are among the very first civilizations in the universe.

it took 3 and a half billion years for single-cell life to evolve into multicellular organisms on earth, that step seems like a gigantic hurdle.

the exact environmental conditions that allowed human intelligence to form were specific and we almost died out at one point, there's no reason to not expect that multiple other species' out there in the universe didn't get to this step and then ended up getting ganked before becoming established.

the mechanism by which we modernized was the black fuckin plague, otherwise we might still be peasants plowing fields because before that point there was no reason to really advance.

my point is that the road we took to the point we are at now was itself ridiculously convoluted and a whole fuckin shitload of things had to go just right, and we are still on track to gently caress ourselves before even establishing a single solitary colony outside of earth. i have little doubt that life is common in the universe; i would not at all be surprised to find incontrovertible evidence of life elsewhere in our own solar system within out lifetimes. but complex life itself is likely to be exceedingly rare and the conditions that allow intelligence to evolve, much rarer still, and a civilization surviving to head out into the stars may be a near-impossibility depending on if the great filter exists (which i believe it absolutely does).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that’s where I come down :

we are just one of the very first

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
it never occurs to us when we write scifi about precursor species that seed everything or transcend after building mysterious megastructures or whatever that we might be those guys, just finding this big empty place to figure out

i still think we'll be that race but on a more fantasy scale, after we kill each other with nukes or antimatter bombs or something, a future race of intelligent ants will wonder at our remains

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

HerraS posted:

because who the gently caress would want to talk to sentient meat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

this dialogue makes no sense if they're talking to eachother among humans as humans already smh

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Communist Thoughts posted:

this dialogue makes no sense if they're talking to eachother among humans as humans already smh

the term meat only really makes sense in you interact with animal corpses on a regular basis, which is unlikely if the idea of an organic brain is unfamiliar to you. like, what do these things get their meat from that they're so familiar with it?

their disgust instead reflects our own disgust at our bodies. an alien would merely be thrilled at the novelty, the way our scientists would if they discovered a race of intelligent crystals. that the crystals found the powder indistinguishable from beach sand unless you know the exact composition to look for that they poop gross would only make sense intellectually to us, by analogy to human poo poo.

if we discovered them and it turned out the great beach our kids were playing on was actually crystal people poop... well okay, they make great beaches too, cool

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 18:09 on May 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

The dialog was written as a short story, it wasn't meant for the parts to be played by humans. Also, those could just be holographic projections to look like humans.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cojawfee posted:

The dialog was written as a short story, it wasn't meant for the parts to be played by humans.

yeah i know thats wot i meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
elon blew up another water tower

https://mobile.twitter.com/SciGuySp...ingawful.com%2F

bodes real well for manned flight