Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

elon blew up another water tower

https://mobile.twitter.com/SciGuySp...ingawful.com%2F

bodes real well for manned flight

just get grimes to build a space raft for the astronauts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rah! posted:

just get grimes to build a space raft for the astronauts

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

space is cool but manned space flight is pretty dumb imo

I want to float around in zero g

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think The Right Stuff had it backwards and it's "no Buck Rogers, no bucks".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jose posted:

I want to float around in zero g

you can do that without leaving our precious precious atmosphere

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Pomp posted:

*Carl saganly* the Piss. Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

related to and perhaps the fate of a meat planet... is piss planet

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-watch-spacex-crew-dragon-rescheduled-launch/ The launch is scheduled for 3pm ET. The livestream begins at 11:15 ET.

I guess I'll start watching at 2:50pm ET

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 16:02 on May 30, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so what is this? elon being allowed to killed some astronauts?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

On the live stream they have said "we are optimistic the weather will improve" about once a minute for the last hour. This makes me think they are not, actually, optimistic.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mrmcd posted:

On the live stream they have said "we are optimistic the weather will improve" about once a minute for the last hour. This makes me think they are not, actually, optimistic.

"We are optimistic the weather will improve! We are optimistic the weather will improve" I shout as I slowly transform into a scrubbed launch.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think The Right Stuff had it backwards and it's "no Buck Rogers, no bucks".

To a certain extent this is actually true. In that in a draw between a hypothetical horde of advanced robots that could do exploration and humans doing the same thing... humans will be far more likely to fund the humans project or none at all. It helps that we're still at the point where it takes something like Curiosity about a year or so to do what would take a person in a suit about a week, but it also puts into perspective the inherent way we're more likely to fund something if people are involved directly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Science Channel just showed them getting into the Teslas and the dude was talking about how they can't touch their family (because obviously), and one astronaut rolled down the window and grabbed his wife's hand.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Damnit I was planning on watching this to laugh at the scrubbed mission but I'm getting legitimately excited.

Stupid space, being all exciting and fun and overwhelming my disgust at Captain Apartheid.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Renaissance Spam posted:

Damnit I was planning on watching this to laugh at the scrubbed mission but I'm getting legitimately excited.

Stupid space, being all exciting and fun and overwhelming my disgust at Captain Apartheid.

fwiw SpaceX is supposedly much less hosed up than Tesla, mostly because they have competent management that keeps Ole' Musky from loving up everything. Also, the rocket industry has had decades of grift and rot from defense contractors so there's actually lots of room to improve. Elon is just the money guy (despite what the drooling twitter stans claim) and every now and then his add manic child brain who loves movie sci-fi gimmicks manages to fund something useful.

The water tower though is *totally* a dumb side project to keep Musky occupied and away from actually important things.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
if any group of scientists and engineers have a chance of turning a "water tower" into a functional flying spacecraft it's probably the same people that finally built reusable rocket boosters while the rest of the private space industry was content to churn out billion-dollar expendable handjobs for it's shareholders

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

here we go

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

well it’s up there

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Finally some loving good news

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

“of course i still love you”?

oh it’s the landing platform. huh. uh. the feed from it cut off then they came back to the booster and it looked fine.......almost like it was faked

wolfs has issued a correction as of 20:34 on May 30, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's from a space book, I forget which one somebody else probably knows

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tighclops posted:

It's from a space book, I forget which one somebody else probably knows

The Culture series

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

wolfs posted:

“of course i still love you”?

oh it’s the landing platform. huh. uh. the feed from it cut off then they came back to the booster and it looked fine.......almost like it was faked

Yeah, that was weird

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So the first stage is reusable, what about the second stage? Could see it dwindling away in those final shots. Is it going to burn up in the atmosphere or splash down somewhere?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The second stage is not reusable

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Loved seeing the jingoism in this loving stream while other parts of your country are on fire

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sullat posted:

So the first stage is reusable, what about the second stage? Could see it dwindling away in those final shots. Is it going to burn up in the atmosphere or splash down somewhere?

The second stage crashes into a poor neighborhood and they use the materials to construct their hovels.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The second stage crashes into a poor neighborhood and they use the materials to construct their hovels.

dibs on the engine bell

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Lansdowne posted:

dibs on the engine bell

Yikes, good luck getting your furniture to fit anywhere without weird gaps for all the spiders to live in.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
More than the rocket I'm interested in those new spacesuit designs, like how much more light weight and flexible they are then existing ones.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I wonder if the suits retain all the environmental control bits and the pressure bladders in the legs. I could actually see them being stiffer from the more tailored cut if so

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Samurai Sanders posted:

More than the rocket I'm interested in those new spacesuit designs, like how much more light weight and flexible they are then existing ones.

They're pressure suits, not space suits. Mostly designed to maintain O2 to the astronaut during launch, landing or whatever more dangerous maneuver. They can't function as spacesuits for spacewalking though.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Unnamed One posted:

Loved seeing the jingoism in this loving stream while other parts of your country are on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzoPopQ7V0

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/jsin86524368/status/1267304975069261824

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol it tries for a single second to brake before giving up

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

how the gently caress was it so cheap to feed an astronaut back then, it costs like $10k/lb to deliver poo poo to space

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space dollars

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/jimmycthatsme/status/1268961951712866304

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

the first space cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

loving hell

space is ruined