Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You spent $10 on a account named Joe Biden, presumably for gimmick purposes, to make this your first post in the General Election thread? :sad:
And wouldn't even spring for some kind of funny avatar to go with it. Weak. :colbert:

e: Bad snipe, but I blame Joe Biden (the poster, not the guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

World War Mammories posted:

there was a thread in gbs asking whatever happened to tara reade, and multiple posters shared the galaxy brain take that it was a psyop by perfidious vlad. the damage is already done

Which thread was that?

e: \/\/\/ Thanks, wanted to look through it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 9, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

e: ^^^ the most recent gassed thread

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You spent $10 on a account named Joe Biden, presumably for gimmick purposes, to make this your first post in the General Election thread? :sad:

eh, it's tame in comparison to that brain genius itt who registered an account named "mynightmareisover" or whatever it was

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Mellow Seas posted:

I think that not hearing Trump speak regularly is also why CSPAM regulars found the idea of him remaining president less horrifying than people who consume media where Trump speaking is a regular occurrence. Because Jesus Christ, listen to the guy.

Epic High Five posted:

Most do listen to him, I cannot understand it but I'm definitely an aberration. I'll even skip over him speaking in podcasts lol.

I cannot overstate this enough. CSPAM listened to him. All of it. Every loving second.

E:

Jesus CHRIST that's foul. Woof.

Dixon Chisholm fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 9, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

World War Mammories posted:

e: ^^^ the most recent gassed thread
eh, it's tame in comparison to that brain genius itt who registered an account named "mynightmareisover" or whatever it was

Yeah, but "Hi I'm new here" posts should always be probeworthy if not banworthy

Also holy jesus gently caress please someone in the mod team tell me there's gonna be some outcome from that gassed thread beyond sweeping it under the rug

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I wouldn't read into that too much; for every person saying Tara Reade was a Russian psyop there's probably 10 who disbelieve her for non-Russia reasons, 100 who believe her but voted for Biden anyway, 1000 who forgot about it, and 10,000 who never even heard the story because of the selective way it was reported.

While the "10,000 who never heard because of the way it was reported" part is definitely true, I would be willing to bet that the vast majority who did hear of it believe that it's bullshit. In the media sphere they're generally afraid to (directly) say that (largely due to being extremely online), but your average liberal boomer who just watches TV/reads the paper won't have such trepidation. I don't know if you remember how the Monica Lewinsky scandal transpired under Clinton, but most Democratic voters were also adults during that time, and the broad consensus (with nearly zero deviation) was that Lewinsky was a hussy and Clinton did nothing wrong (and they would still say this if you asked them today). Actually, for a more recent example, try asking most liberals over the age of 40-50 about Al Franken. Franken (from his perspective) basically hosed up by resigning, because while the media sphere and some politicians briefly turned against him, most of the liberal base was always on his side.

The most common form of older liberal (which is most liberal voters) is someone who is frighteningly similar to their conservative counterparts on anything that either falls outside of partisan orthodoxy or runs contrary to it. It's less pathologically focused on hating the left than, say, the KHive folks, though they will also turn against the left if the media tells them to.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Mellow Seas posted:

And wouldn't even spring for some kind of funny avatar to go with it. Weak. :colbert:

e: Bad snipe, but I blame Joe Biden (the poster, not the guy).

If you think about it, a boring, unfunny, low-effort post that manages nothing but to make people notice There Is A Poster Named Joe Biden is... pretty on-brand

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So, projoes, now that Trump has definitively lost, what's your plan? I'll make that more specific. What are you (specifically you, personally) going to do to see the camps closed now that you voted in a guy who won't promise to close them?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Somfin posted:

Yeah, but "Hi I'm new here" posts should always be probeworthy if not banworthy

Also holy jesus gently caress please someone in the mod team tell me there's gonna be some outcome from that gassed thread beyond sweeping it under the rug

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Jesus CHRIST that's foul. Woof.

yeah, I hold no ill will towards aardvark for gassing it, but jesus. I really saw red when believing tara reade was explicitly compared to qanon's poo poo about jfk jr

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jimbozig posted:

So, projoes, now that Trump has definitively lost, what's your plan? I'll make that more specific. What are you (specifically you, personally) going to do to see the camps closed now that you voted in a guy who won't promise to close them?

What do you think they should do? I'm going to sit on my couch until joe is inaugurated and see what he does then.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

How are u posted:

What do you think they should do? I'm going to sit on my couch until joe is inaugurated and see what he does then.

so you’re going to waste time on pushing Joe left and hope he does something on his own?

Joe’s got two months of transition planning now is a great time to prove that your candidate can be pushed left

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

How are u posted:

Being happy with the president being D and the senate being R is parody levels of going back to brunch

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

How are u posted:

I'm glad to see we've learned the right lessons from the Obama era.

Somfin posted:

Ugh, yeah, that's...truly execrable. If someone wants to make a QCS thread about the general topic, I'll add my voice to it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

Ugh, yeah, that's...truly execrable. If someone wants to make a QCS thread about the general topic, I'll add my voice to it.

We've already gone through that poo poo before, Majorian, and I'm sorry to say that it didn't go well. A few folks got B+30'd but it's super clear that it's creeping back in now. And none of us want to deal with the QCS vulture crew.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
pm a gbs mod or admin about it, although I'm not sure if gbs mods still have buttons in a gassed thread

edit: I don't really want to make this thread (more) about being mad at a separate subforum gassed thread, and while you're welcome to PM me about it I have buttons in neither gbs nor gas chamber and anyway having a bunch of individual users raise issues with Cyrano or Athanatos or whoever is preferable to having me do it on several levels

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 10, 2020

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm sick of being the QCS guy, but boy do I have some thoughts!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probably not a good QCS thread to make tbh unless you're primarily a GBS poster already, but that's just my two cents.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

I'm sick of being the QCS guy, but boy do I have some thoughts!

I don't blame you if you don't, but I'm genuinely thankful for the first thread you made. not only did it cut down on the bullshit, but it was nice to know who I could add to my mental "pay no mind" list based on the responses.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Somfin posted:

We've already gone through that poo poo before, Majorian, and I'm sorry to say that it didn't go well. A few folks got B+30'd but it's super clear that it's creeping back in now. And none of us want to deal with the QCS vulture crew.

Got it. I've been away for a while, so I probably missed some things. Still, I'm really unhappy this happened.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

How are u posted:

Wait I thought your vote was strategic. Now you say you have no strategy after all?

Edit: I'm not saying this just to dunk on you and be smug. I'm seriously asking what you are going to do about the fact that you have literal concentration camps in your country. You need to do something about it. If you don't have a plan and want me to make one for you, I will. I'm a Canadian so I'll only be able to participate remotely, but if you want me to tell you what to do, I'll gladly do so.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 10, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jimbozig posted:

Wait I thought your vote was strategic. Now you say you have no strategy after all?

Edit: I'm not saying this just to dunk on you and be smug. I'm seriously asking what you are going to do about the fact that you have literal concentration camps in your country. You need to do something about it. If you don't have a plan and want me to make one for you, I will. I'm a Canadian so I'll only be able to participate remotely, but if you want me to tell you what to do, I'll gladly do so.

Yes please, what is your plan?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

You'll learn that the goal of all centrists is to maintain the status quo. And if the status quo includes camps, well.....

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Yes please, what is your plan?

With Biden in office, unless you are on the board of a large company, there is nothing you can do there.

So direct action is the only possibility. Get everyone you can together to go and do some civil disobedience. Chaining yourself together to things is a classic. Occupying government buildings is probably easier now during covid when they are emptier.

What I'd suggest is if you are white, you and your other white buddies can buy guns and wear camo gear with American flag patches. Totally adopt the trappings of right wingers and you can literally point guns at cops and get away with it. Once armed, go blockade poo poo.

If you disagree on the specifics, fine, I'm not the boss of anyone, but you have to do something.

"Oh, I have a job, I can't go do things like that." You have a long weekend coming up at the end of the month. You already probably have a little time off from your job then and you can take a sick day if necessary. Also, if you do it now and bring attention to the camps while Trump is still in office, you might be able to rile up enough liberals demanding to close the camps to get Biden to join in as an anti-Trump thing.

Now is absolutely the time to do it. If you wait until Biden is in office, then you will absolutely be painted as a fringe group of lunatics. Those crazy lefties protesting against our good president.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

"Do absolutely nothing" was always the plan for anyone pushing the We Can Pull Him Left! narrative. They don't have actual political beliefs, what they have is a preferred brand of celebrity, and their celebrities are the ones in charge now. They got everything they wanted and their role now is to relax and occasionally pop online to defend the latest atrocity their celebrities commit. Maybe in four years when AOC fails to defeat Harris in the primaries they'll pretend to have supported AOC the whole time, but y'all, we need to pull together right now with AOC and back Harris. We'll pull her left once she's in, but stopping Hawley is more important.

Jimbozig posted:

Now is absolutely the time to do it. If you wait until Biden is in office, then you will absolutely be painted as a fringe group of lunatics. Those crazy lefties protesting against our good president.

I can guarantee you, anyone protesting right now against something Biden doesn't want to deal with will either a.) be called a psycho who doesn't recognize that now is a time for celebration or b.) be completely ignored. At best you'll get a "geeze, at least wait for him to take office! He can't even do anything yet," which on January 21st will turn into "he's doing it, just watch!" for the next four years.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I can guarantee you, anyone protesting right now against something Biden doesn't want to deal with will either a.) be called a psycho who doesn't recognize that now is a time for celebration or b.) be completely ignored. At best you'll get a "geeze, at least wait for him to take office! He can't even do anything yet," which on January 21st will turn into "he's doing it, just watch!" for the next four years.

boy oh man i am extremely not looking forward to what the discourse is gonna look like when blm protestors are still protesting as blacks continue to get murdered by cops under the biden administration

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jimbozig posted:

Totally adopt the trappings of right wingers and you can literally point guns at cops and get away with it.
I do look (marginally) dapper with a buzz cut and I do own a Mjølnir amulet.
:thunk:
I wonder if I could trick the fash into arming me, as I am obviously a friendly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

boy oh man i am extremely not looking forward to what the discourse is gonna look like when blm protestors are still protesting as blacks continue to get murdered by cops under the biden administration

My guess is it's gonna be the same as under Obama, but I'm ready for it to be worse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

supportive and with biden resuming the obama-era policy of unleashing the fbi on particularly bad police departments, which is a job the fbi quite enjoys?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Kamala is going to be an interesting plot point.

So, there was a primary candidate named Amy Klobachur (Klobb!) who looked like a shoe-in for the VP slot before George Floyd was murdered. She was also a state prosecutor, and it turns out that the cop who killed Floyd had murdered before. In fact, Klobb herself personally let him off the hook for murder. When that story broke, she dropped out of the running for vp.

It's only a matter of time till the same story gets played out with Harris. Except this time she can't drop, the Democrats are going to pivot hard into the "actually killer cops are great" narrative.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 10, 2020

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

GreyjoyBastard posted:

supportive and with biden resuming the obama-era policy of unleashing the fbi on particularly bad police departments, which is a job the fbi quite enjoys?

And also unleashing the fbi on protestors, which is a job the fbi quite enjoys

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

almost all loving blm leaders during the obama administration were loving assassinated what the gently caress is wrong with you

e: i just want to make it clear, greyjoy, that you have, repeatedly, throughout the life of this thread, said the absolutely dumbest loving poo poo imaginable, over and over, only to later be corrected with evidence that everything you just said is as far from factual reality as possible. i guess that i cannot really expect that much from someone who supported kirsten loving gillibrand, who was my rep during her time in the house and one of the most useless, spineless blue dogs in all of congress, but holy gently caress dude even for you, claiming that obama was totally cool with, and supportive of, blm during his presidency is loving insane. pay the gently caress attention to reality instead of whatever loving utopia you have created in your head please, just for once.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 10, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Nono, you see, those were ruled suicides. It's obviously a political statement when you hang yourself in your front yard with your hands tied, or lock yourself in the trunk of your car before setting fire to it.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

the Democrats are going to pivot hard into the "actually killer cops are great" narrative.
I'm reasonably sure this already happened about 60 years ago.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

I'm reasonably sure this already happened about 60 years ago.

The narrative has been rather stringently "Nothing to see here, this is an anomaly". Now with cell phones, we see that it happens every day. So that lie won't work.

So when the inevitable connection between a killer cop and Kamala comes up, they can't blame Kamala. The democrats are so severely authoritarian to be almost monarchist (See also: desires to see Michelle Obama run for president, Hillary Clinton the nominee, the weird obsession with Jill Biden), and attacking the victim would be heartless. So, they'll have to pull a "see, this cop who shot a baby for crying is actually a sincere human with a family" routine that they normally don't even bother with. That way, they can appear empathetic without addressing the white supremacy of the system that they will be in charge of. Because if they question the system, it weakens.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Just a heads up that this and the other election threads are going to be closed in sometime between 6 and 24 hours (depending on when I remember i said this)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The narrative has been rather stringently "Nothing to see here, this is an anomaly". Now with cell phones, we see that it happens every day. So that lie won't work.

The lie CONTINUES to work, to this day, on basically everyone who is enthusiastic about a Biden/Harris presidency.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

The lie CONTINUES to work, to this day, on basically everyone who is enthusiastic about a Biden/Harris presidency.

There have been riots every other week for 6 months straight. And those riots are broadcast internationally to anyone who wants to watch them. It doesn't even matter anymore what the loyalists want, the cities are literally burning.

Pandora's box is open.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I think that not hearing Trump speak regularly is also why CSPAM regulars found the idea of him remaining president less horrifying than people who consume media where Trump speaking is a regular occurrence. Because Jesus Christ, listen to the guy.

I can understand that if you just look at the relatively mild policy impacts of his presidency, he doesn't seem as bad as he does when you actually listen to his rhetoric.

It's because I understand this that this attitude frustrates me. I understand exactly why a reasonable person would react this way to Trump relative to someone like Biden. It's basically the normal human way to react.

Many of us used to react that way to Republicans and basically had to train ourselves out of it over the years. From our perspective, Democrats like Obama are more frightening and disturbing because they do all this terrible stuff with a kind of calm professionalism and prepared justifications, and they're generally reflective of the same interests who have been responsible for most of our country's crimes. After looking at things that way, it's difficult to freak out at Trump, who isn't really representative of those with power in our government (even if he managed to fall backwards into being the President); the Republicans are already separating themselves from him, and institutions like the CIA and corporate media always disliked him.

In hindsight, I think the reaction to Republicans that I and many others used to have (and others still have) ultimately stems from a feeling that there's some sort of validity to our institutions/government. The sentiment was something like "I can't believe that this politician is lying!" or "I can't believe this politician is saying something that obviously doesn't make sense!", and that ultimately came from a feeling that there was some sort of acceptable norm where politicians don't behave that way. But once all the theater is stripped away, it doesn't matter if we have some tortured human rights justification for murdering countless people and toppling their governments. Or if someone claims to care about problems in our criminal justice system while actively perpetuating a system that imprisons millions in inhumane conditions, etc. The important thing about, say, the Iraq War has little to do with Bush lying or the invasion being "illegal" - it's simply that the US invading and overthrowing the leadership of a country (and causing hundreds of thousands dead in the process) is an atrocity.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just a heads up that this and the other election threads are going to be closed in sometime between 6 and 24 hours (depending on when I remember i said this)

With this in mind, I'd like to say that I genuinely think this has been a great thread. I know that's a weird thing to say, particularly given how much of a bad reputation it has, but I think that reputation is unfair. This thread brought together an incredibly diverse group of people who were fiercely passionate about left-wing politics, yet willing to be vulnerable and talk about why it matters so much to them personally. I genuinely believe the regulars here are the most brilliant people on Something Awful, and while that sounds like I'm damning with faint praise, I mean it as a compliment. I've learned so much from you folks, and I'm delighted that Cpt. Obvious and the rest of you are keeping the high-level intellectual discussion going in LeftPol. I look forward to posting in it now that the election is nearing its conclusion and I'm not so busy putting out fires.

Thanks for making this thread rule, everyone!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Majorian posted:

With this in mind, I'd like to say that I genuinely think this has been a great thread. I know that's a weird thing to say, particularly given how much of a bad reputation it has, but I think that reputation is unfair. This thread brought together an incredibly diverse group of people who were fiercely passionate about left-wing politics, yet willing to be vulnerable and talk about why it matter so much to them personally. I genuinely believe the regulars here are the most brilliant people on Something Awful, and while that sounds like I'm damning with faint praise, I mean it as a compliment. I've learned so much from you folks, and I'm delighted that Cpt. Obvious and the rest of you are keeping the high-level intellectual discussion going in LeftPol. I look forward to posting in it now that the election is nearing its conclusion and I'm not so busy putting out fires.

Thanks for making this thread rule, everyone!

Yo, do you have any loving clue what Neoliberalism actually is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I thought for years neoconservatism was for foreign policy and neoliberalism was explicitly economic policy, with austerity and such, which would've meant Hillary Clinton more neoconservative than neoliberal (since she wasn't quite as pro-austere as a lot of Democrats, even if her views against M4A could certainly qualify as such) and Joe Biden is, well, both. But I've taken to use it synonymously with centrist because whatever.