Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GreyjoyBastard posted:

supportive and with biden resuming the obama-era policy of unleashing the fbi on particularly bad police departments, which is a job the fbi quite enjoys?

can i please have whatever it is you're on, it sounds absolutely wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yo, do you have any loving clue what Neoliberalism actually is?

*Werner Herzog voice*

Farts. Pure, unadulterated farts, inhaled by Aaron Sorkin along with coke and then made corporeal in the person of Jeff Newsroom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Probably Magic posted:

I thought for years neoconservatism was for foreign policy and neoliberalism was explicitly economic policy, with austerity and such, which would've meant Hillary Clinton more neoconservative than neoliberal (since she wasn't quite as pro-austere as a lot of Democrats, even if her views against M4A could certainly qualify as such) and Joe Biden is, well, both. But I've taken to use it synonymously with centrist because whatever.

As much as centrism is basically steadfast defense of the political status quo, it pretty much is.

Though people who self-identify as neoliberals are a real treat. See also globe emoji twitter.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As much as centrism is basically steadfast defense of the political status quo, it pretty much is.

Though people who self-identify as neoliberals are a real treat. See also globe emoji twitter.

Globe emoji twitter is easily the most baffling thing after sock twitter, the two of which seem to overlap.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or, hell, r/neoliberal. There's something genuinely sociopathic about it. Who brags about supporting something that hurts so many people?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I enjoyed this thread, esp after Majorian took over it became pretty chill and about the only place I feel I can post my real politics and really go HAM in D&D and not risk retaliation for wrongthink or getting run out of town. It'll never stop being funny to me that this thread was the calmest and probably easiest to moderate on election night when everybody would've guessed it would be the worst lmao

join us insane communists in CSPAM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

those people are 2nd only to the KHivers and even then it's a close run thing, some real galaxy brain takes from globe emojis over the last few weeks.

as cliche as it is, Disco Elysium gave me much better language to describe centrism, in its statement that it's about *control* and not necessarily the *status quo*

also it's the only game I've ever played that really actually owned me, deep down, with my own preferred ideology. All the other stuff like CODBLOPS that mock commies are just clownish to the point of it being hilarious

Pussy Cartel posted:

Globe emoji twitter is easily the most baffling thing after sock twitter, the two of which seem to overlap.

Dare I ask but....sock twitter?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Will there be a, for lack of a better term, "USPOL for Leftists" thread in the future or is everything getting folded back into USPOL? I know there's the 'learn about leftism' thread that Cpt. Obvious put together but that doesn't really fit the same purpose of commenting on/talking about political news.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Majorian posted:

Or, hell, r/neoliberal. There's something genuinely sociopathic about it. Who brags about supporting something that hurts so many people?

Something that doesn't even try to have popular support at all, reluctantly using rhetoric that people actually sort of like as a facade for it. It's like the other end of libertarians who don't really want anything to change except for themselves to be in charge.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Epic High Five posted:

I enjoyed this thread, esp after Majorian took over it became pretty chill and about the only place I feel I can post my real politics and really go HAM in D&D and not risk retaliation for wrongthink or getting run out of town. It'll never stop being funny to me that this thread was the calmest and probably easiest to moderate on election night when everybody would've guessed it would be the worst lmao

join us insane communists in CSPAM

revolution remains the chillest vibe of all

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
fwiw as a pretty regular cspammer I’ve found this thread to be pretty good and more interesting than uspol. would be nice to have a continuation of it in some way other than a general leftism thread.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Hey thanks comrade! That's what I was going for. You folks made it easy. :)

RPZip posted:

Will there be a, for lack of a better term, "USPOL for Leftists" thread in the future or is everything getting folded back into USPOL? I know there's the 'learn about leftism' thread that Cpt. Obvious put together but that doesn't really fit the same purpose of commenting on/talking about political news.

Good question! The plan is to fold it into USPol for now, and we'll see how it goes. I think it should be a pretty natural fit, given that most (not all, but most) folks here in DnD are to the left of the Dems, want left-wing goals to come to fruition, and want to talk productively and constructively about how to make that happen. Obviously, Joe Biden is President-Elect, and is currently putting together a transition team and cabinet. There aren't many things more central to U.S. politics than that. Anybody who has an objection to talking about the policies of the dude who's going to be President in a couple months probably shouldn't, you know. Be posting in a political debate forum, in the thread about US politics. All I ask is that, when you folks talk about Biden and other contentious topics in USPol, you try to keep the wonderfully chill attitude that we've had going in here for the last couple weeks.

\/\/\/no, which is probably part of the problem. Cracking into the bourbon right now.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 10, 2020

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

With this in mind, I'd like to say that I genuinely think this has been a great thread. I know that's a weird thing to say, particularly given how much of a bad reputation it has, but I think that reputation is unfair. This thread brought together an incredibly diverse group of people who were fiercely passionate about left-wing politics, yet willing to be vulnerable and talk about why it matters so much to them personally. I genuinely believe the regulars here are the most brilliant people on Something Awful, and while that sounds like I'm damning with faint praise, I mean it as a compliment. I've learned so much from you folks, and I'm delighted that Cpt. Obvious and the rest of you are keeping the high-level intellectual discussion going in LeftPol. I look forward to posting in it now that the election is nearing its conclusion and I'm not so busy putting out fires.

Thanks for making this thread rule, everyone!

Are you drunk?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Dare I ask but....sock twitter?

Supposedly social democrats (socks, socdems, get it) that had some sort of schism from globe twitter, but they're mostly indistinguishable from globe twitter in how they tweet and what they tweet about.

Majorian posted:

Good question! The plan is to fold it into USPol for now, and we'll see how it goes. I think it should be a pretty natural fit, given that most (not all, but most) folks here in DnD are to the left of the Dems, want left-wing goals to come to fruition, and want to talk productively and constructively about how to make that happen. Obviously, Joe Biden is President-Elect, and is currently putting together a transition team and cabinet. There aren't many things more central to U.S. politics than that. Anybody who has an objection to talking about the policies of the dude who's going to be President in a couple months probably shouldn't, you know. Be posting in a political debate forum, in the thread about US politics. All I ask is that, when you folks talk about Biden and other contentious topics in USPol, you try to keep the wonderfully chill attitude that we've had going in here for the last couple weeks.

Hopefully it works out, because this has been a good thread, oddly enough.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 10, 2020

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

How are u posted:

What do you think they should do? I'm going to sit on my couch until joe is inaugurated and see what he does then.

Incredible.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can i please have whatever it is you're on, it sounds absolutely wonderful

an uninterrupted supply of pure hopium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just a heads up that this and the other election threads are going to be closed in sometime between 6 and 24 hours (depending on when I remember i said this)

Baba booey baba booey