Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
passwords on websites are loving bullshit. your browser connects with an SSL link, and then it’s like, one more thing, give me a text string so i know it’s really you.

i know like 3 passwords now, the one that unlocks my computer, the one that unlocks my password manager, and maybe another one, i forget. all of my passwords are like 30 character random strings with punctuation and everything. basically untypeable by humans, you can only copy and paste them. so let’s stop pretending like passwords are a thing people can remember. nothing you remember is secure.

there are better ways to do it, like ssh does with ssh keys. with ssh, any machine you add your public key to can authenticate you. no password needed. why isn’t my browser doing this? creating an account? great. generate a public-private key pair for the site, send the public key to the site, stash the private one in my keychain. done. never ask me for a password again, just authenticate me automatically.

get on it, browser dipshits. there’s only one browser now, webkit, so fix it in that and make it work for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I especially enjoy making secure passwords
for sites that then tell me it only accepts alphanumeric

and don’t get me started on websites that forget you after you specifically clicked don’t forget that night we went to the carlton and I hosed you at your dads place

this drat website might be the only website in the world that respects this

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
The worst is when they double down and keep nagging for a phone number for 2FA every-time you log in. Yeah cheers, let me tie my my credentials to a tiny card the size of my pinky nail stored in one of the most easily lost/stolen personal devices.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's actually a pretty good point op.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just use the same password for everything op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fart simpson posted:

i just use the same password for everything op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

oh no someone might hack the yahoo email i use for throwaway accounts and get access to the car forum i posted on twice in 2007

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i use lastpass op. paid money for it and everything. real USD

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

buddy, they wont even let me gently caress the web passwords

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my voice is my password

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

my face is my password. unfortunate that my device needs to accept it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The little biryani shop in my building has an online ordering tool with no passwords. If you aren't already signed in to make an order it, you enter your email and it sends you a text message with a one-time, 5-digit code. Put in that code and it logs you into your account to order.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

there’s only one browser now, webkit

it's loving weird that every modern browser except firefox is descended from a fork of konquerer

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i hate sites that dont tell you the maximum password length, or have a dumb max lentgth that is way too short like 20

let me set a 1024 or 4096 character password damnit

sure i know there should be a limit of some sort so you arent hashing a gigabyte for the first round of a kdf (allowing a DoS attack) but make the limit like 2^16 or something

also

DuckConference posted:

it's loving weird that every modern browser except firefox is descended from a fork of konquerer
i appreciate the irony of using posting this using firefox under kde

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The Management posted:

my voice is my password

my bank does this and i've been meaning to tell them to turn it off cause there are recordings of me giving conference talks and stuff and i don’t really trust it to be secure at all

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Pardot posted:

my bank does this and i've been meaning to tell them to turn it off cause there are recordings of me giving conference talks and stuff and i don’t really trust it to be secure at all

glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way

my boss keeps asking to post recordings of me on the web and thinks i'm ridiculous for saying no.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Kerberos exists, OP. Webdevs just have purposefully ignored all technology predating them.

In our internal network a lot of services know what a Kerberos is and log you in automatically.

Problem: You can't log off anymore. Not that that's a problem of course. Nobody ever logs off.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i will never log off

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
chrome already has webauthn op but i think the persona style authentication had promise too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

my voice is my password

same, but my fart

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

my face is unfortunate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s so good when you have backup questions but you can only choose from a couple questions like :

name of a friend
last time you were cool
last time someone else showed you respect
last time you ate a vegetable that you cooked for yourself

and other questions that are mostly based around figments in your imagination

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just write my passwords on the back of my keyboard in sharpie

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The browser literally can do all that poo poo too, client certificates are a thing that works and also can have a password to unlock which makes them effectively two-factor (the cert and the password) and conceptually usable for multiple sites without cross-exposure like you get with memorized passwords. It's just that the only two things ever to have used client certificates are the Australian government for paying taxes online, and cacert.org

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I like giving my complete history to every website so they can know I'm me if I forget my password and presumably so they can open bank accounts in my name.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

You can't log off anymore. Not that that's a problem of course. Nobody ever logs off.

as an opener to a cyberpunk novel i'd be like 'this is going to be not great, but in ways i like'

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I worked at exactly one place with a full PKI and client certs, not having to log into a ton of bullshit manually was awesome.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if i could skip logins and use SSL client certs where I just give them a specific public key I want to have trusted (instead of them trusting the subject and x509 chain) and skip password auth I would love it. Especially since my yubikey lets me do just that. Too bad browser support is trash, and most web "developers" cant even get basic auth right, so I don't have high hopes.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hed posted:

I worked at exactly one place with a full PKI and client certs, not having to log into a ton of bullshit manually was awesome.
Was it the Australian government or cacert.org?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like rear end turd

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

just use Sign in with Apple, op.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

FlacidB0n3R42069

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dude your already logged in!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

worth it just for the convenience of being able to login as anyone you want

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

my spirit is ready op, but I’ve yet to encounter anything that had an option to do that.

also sign in with apple still uses passwords so gently caress that. they could have done this right

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm reluctant to get a new phone because I'll have to transfer or set up 2FA on the new phone and transfer poo poo and I can't be bothered to think about it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

President Beep posted:

more like rear end turd

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Remember when your somethingawful password was the most secure one you had?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

somehow this tyre fire of a forum is literally the only site on the internet that doesn't randomly log me out for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweevo posted:

somehow this tyre fire of a forum is literally the only site on the internet that doesn't randomly log me out for no reason.

the magic of never changing anything