Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This has so many hilarious people but I guess almost none of them are also writing it, it has no teeth, an episode of The Good Witch has more biting commentary than these. Also, what a horrible time for it to come out. People getting shot in the streets while the president tries his best to violate the first amendment plus also the last 4 years every day just make so much of this show feel really distasteful. It's all sweetened and swept under the rug and winked at.

There's this uncomfortable blend of like, an earnest-Colbert-Report-Colbert mixed with a conservative Michael Scott in a military blender. He's also doing this gruff voice, which maybe could work for an animated movie role or something but seeing him do it just feels silly. There's an episode where they go "psychological" and try and give him these repressed whatever from his "experiences" and yikes it didn't work and felt weird.

When they're sitting before a congressional hearing and fake AOC gets that smug shut down by some absurd conservative talking point of "useful satellite, therefore what if they attack it - we need space weapons?" is starts to feel like some redditor's "everybody clapped" story posted to a conservative subreddit.

Fundamentally the setting for this show as a "workplace comedy" reminds me of the grossness of Brooklyn 99. Like, poo poo, tons of funny people and funny writing but it's always within this infuriating context that paints over the problems with loveable interpersonal drama and quirks or whatever. It's always this conflict between "ahahaha funny" and "gently caress these goddamn pigs." This is worse than cops I think, though, since it's a much larger scope horrorfest they're putting a funny face on.

Huge waste of talent and effort here, they tried too hard while not letting themselves say anything. There's not even that much reason to have it be set in Space Force they probe so shallowly into it, I guess some of their weird chimp cgi slapstick jokes would be harder to pull off on Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kung Food posted:

I'm just glad to see media wise to the fact that chimps are hellish nightmare creatures, and not cuddly, furry children.

When they brought in the animalstronauts I was really curious where they were going to go with it. When it became a deal of the space animals dying, and the Chimp drifting off I knew they'd need to find someway to make it "okay." The one-two route they took with it is actually an arc I'm interested in. I just hope the chimp defects ccp for real and they don't try to reheroize him later if he sabotagues the chinese.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I was really looking forward to this, but the Netflix formula is becoming threadbare and tired.

What do you mean by Netflix formula? Seems like a bunch of dispirate projects with varyting degrees of quality and success?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh, yeah I guess that explains the billion netflix things I just gloss right over then.

It's weird they're so risk averse but I guess their only meaningful feedback is probably watching the view metrics. Seems like most people on Netflix are mostly there to watch some tv show they already saw a billion times so they could go wild and make some really niche stuff or critical-acclaim bait to draw in people too good to watch 30 rock forever and ever.

Gaunab posted:

I'm going through space force a second time and I liked it more the first time when I didn't see the third episode. That Congress scene killed a lot of my goodwill?

It just plays out so much like a conservative fantasy to me, even when they're trying to make fun of the military side. Watch PATRIOTS decimate AOC using FACTS and FEELINGS

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 4, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
doin what?, a second season? i sure hope not