Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm so glad I saw this show when it came out, because it doesn't hold up well now.

It's 90s as gently caress but in both good and bad ways.

Also pretty much a pioneering effort, there wasn't much in the way of pre-planned multi-season story arcs on television before this thing came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's worth noting that the CG suffered greatly in the transfer from analog to digital media. Which sucks.

It's a loving crime against humanity, yes. Or something.

It's also worth noting that the CGI was also pretty much a pioneering effort; I'm not aware of any other TV shows that used it anywhere near as much before then. Also it got noticeably better from season to season (especially between seasons 1 and 2) as they got better hardware etc.

Looked pretty good on the dinky little CRT televisions we had back in the mid-90s, anyway.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Ed Wasser (dude who plays Mr. Morden) manages to be quite fantastically slimy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's an absolute cracker :) I also liked the b4 design better.

B5 was the lower-budget last-ditch effort thrown together in a hurry after B1 - B4 burned down, fell over, and/or sank into the swamp, after all.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I'm sure I've said it already, but Katsulas and Jurasik are the best things about the whole show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Narsham posted:

I think Furlan is usually underrated.

Oh, yes, she was cool too.

As were a bunch of the other actors. "Not as good as Londo & G'Kar" is not exactly the same as "bad".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yeah, now you know why Katsulas and Jurasik are the best things about the whole show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I disagree, it is what it is but the strong points are still strong.

Yah, it IS 90s as gently caress, but mostly in a good way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

B5 hyperspace is simple I think. It's an alternate spatial dimension or universe where distances are shorter. It has no features whatsoever so you have to navigate using beacons from jump gates. There's a current in it that gradually pulls everything in one direction if you have no propulsion. And that's pretty much it.
Also there are issues with visibility and whatnot (hence the need for beacons, and rumours of things hiding in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I'd heard all those details about spacing before, from Farscape and Babylon 5, and people saying "yeah that's about right". The only other details I remember are: your eyes might get hosed up, as lowering pressure drops the boiling point of water, and you shouldn't try to hold your breath because the 1 Atm. of pressure inside your lungs can rupture some tissues.

Yeah, that bit about not trying to hold your breath is the same as they teach in scuba classes, where a sudden ascent of a few meters can be enough to gently caress up your lungs if you try that.

Pretty sure that the main thing that will determine whether or not a spaced person can be rescued and revived is whether or not the brain has been without oxygen for longer than however many minutes it takes for irreversible brain damage to set in. And that stuff like desiccation of bodily liquids will take significantly longer than this, so the degree of such injuries sustained will mostly be of interest to accident/murder investigators, not so much to medical personnel. (Except maybe to figure out if organs can be usefully harvested for transplant, etc.)