Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I think what Sham bam said is v important. People read books because they enjoy them. People who enjoy literature aren't preaching it so hard because they think it's good for them, or is good for society, or makes them smarter or some other nonsense, but because they actually love the books they are reading and can't stop talking about them.

I think there are a couple small groups of people who give this impression of literature being 'obscure weirdness for smart people' to the rest of the normal book-reading world. On one side there are the few that repeat constantly that all genre is trash for idiot babies, and is of no value and you are a moron if you enjoy it. This makes 'people who enjoy literature' out to be ivory tower snobs completely disconnected from reality, because everyone I know and everyone you know has at some point enjoyed at least one, and probably many, genre books. On the other extreme are the people who try to read one literary classic, don't like it, and instead of thinking 'This one wasn't for me' or 'I wonder if I'm missing something?' they think 'Everyone on earth is pretending to like this book in order to look smart. All of literature is a scam, wake up sheeple.' For whatever reason, those two groups get a lot of attention compared to the every-day normal literature readers who are just thinking 'drat, this is a great book!'

If you do try a literary work, and don't like it, then don't sweat it (even if it's a 'must read' classic!) just put it down and move on. It doesn't mean you aren't smart or aren't cultured or whatever nonsense you've heard. Not everyone likes all the same books. I'm sure you haven't liked every sci-fi book you've picked up, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Pinky finger holds down one page, thumb holds down the other, remaining 3 fingers brace/hold up the book from behind. works on all sizes of books, and i have average sized hands. I just tried it on war and peace (haven't read but it's the fattest book i own) and it worked fine, tried beginning middle and end areas. may not work on hardbacks, i don't read those.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I love this idea. however, anyone who comes across any of the notes will see my handwriting and think I read the books when I was 10

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The lit thread compells me

Read Mishima, I say, like unto an automaton.

Do the one about the sailor. With the long title.

do it

the more i think about this book the more it might be one of my favorite books ever