Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The North Tower posted:

My two favorite movies are Pink Flamingos and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I see no contradiction in this.

About 10 years ago and was playing Fallout 3. I wanted some post-apocalyptic stuff and was steered towards A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Road, both of which I found pretty accessible and interesting.

The latter got me into other McCarthy books (at this point I've read all of his books and screenplays and think The Road is his weakest work), which got me to reading Blood Meridian. Do you like surprises and violence in a western/anti-western setting? You may enjoy this book.

I think this is really the right mindset for beginners. It's not "Never read low works, only read literature." It's about being intellectually curious and balancing the "trash" with the more complex and often one will lead you to the other and vice versa. I think it's really just a matter of following your interests, but allowing your interests to be diverse and rich enough that you're not just looking for the next cheap Fantasy paperback but that the cheap Fantasy paperback leads you to a history text which leads you to a classic work of literature which reminds you of another cheap Fantasy paperback series you were curious about, and eventually it all feeds into one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU