Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ulvir posted:

nah, that’s actually a good suggestion. if you’re sixteen and don’t really understand why you should bother with whatever book that’s probably just really boring anyway, you’re not in the right frame of mind to appreciate it, let alone being charitable enough to actually look for things to appreciate. and sometimes a few extra years and some added maturity/experience/foreknowledge can help a lot on its own

Even if you read and liked the book, I think there's value in going back and re-reading without the need to come up with a reading that will match the teacher's well enough to get a good grade. Almost every teacher I ever had in high school was of the "Hrm, you put a lot of thought into this but I don't agree with it so you fail" school of grading. That definitely impacted my enjoyment of books we read in class because it was less "read this book and think about it" and more "here's a list of my thoughts about the book, now read the book and match it up with the list".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU