Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is The Name Of The Rose a good (the best) starting point for Eco? That's the big obvious one which I've never gotten around to reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean it's not like I ever actually looked at the literature thread in this forum—between the child-loving title and the fact that the BotL was the most prominent face of the literature crowd here, why the gently caress would I ever be tempted to?

I'm happy this thread was made, please do not tempt restarting this argument :(

Was already in the middle of a book but I think I'll be starting Name of the Rose this week. Apparently already owned on my Kindle(?). I'm assuming there's only the one translation?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

nut posted:

I use two hands and just set the beer against my side

I can't concentrate on reading at all while drinking. Which is bizarre because I have no problem reading for hours while blazed out of my mind.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Famethrowa posted:

Alright here's a real dumb barrier to me reading serious books: I struggle with reading long or complicated things on an ereader since it's so easy to zone out with a dumb genrebook but reading traditional books is uncomfortable for me.

What kinda tricks do you guys use to read real nice smelling physical books uhhhh one-handed? it's kinda taxing to do. I see these neato page holder things that slot over their finger, anyone try them?

im making a sex joke but its because of a physical limitation irl.

Are you specifically talking about hardcovers by any chance? The 1-3-1 posted is how I always do it with paperbacks, but you might be out of luck with big old hardcovers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Count of Monte Cristo was easily the fastest thousand pages I've ever read. What a fantastic book.

I wonder whether we might have lost something by no longer having serialized novels. I posted about a similar thing in the general discussion thread - characters like Sherlock Holmes with huge histories of short stories and intervening novels. There isn't really a market for a novel spread over months of publishing, or characters reappearing between short stories, because short stories just don't have a popular audience anymore.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

fridge corn posted:

Tbh the count of monte Cristo was probably like that era's equivalent of comic books

i feel like there's an interesting parallel here with modern television. reading is mostly novels now, as it is easy to publish a novel, and the economics of serials and short stories aren't there any more.

isn't that basically happening in TV right now? we get access to ways to consume longer form media, and we get rid of short form? episodic TV still exists, but most young people are watching stuff that is only episodic in literal format, rather than distinct stories. The episodes only act as chapters or bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm about halfway through The Name Of The Rose. I had heard the first 100 pages are a bit of a slog, but I got in to a kind of zone and ended up enjoying them as sort of setting up the tone of life at the abbey. Definitely a step up from my most recent genre/mystery reads in terms of pure writing.

Should I do more Eco next or try some other Real Adult Authors?