Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I made a mutually beneficial agreement with my lit teacher in high school that I could chill out in the back of the classroom and read my own books if I stopped pestering her with questions.

Also, Lord of the Flies is a really cool book that I never read in high school, not being from an English speaking country. I'm really surprised some people seem to dislike it. It really should have something for everyone, even high schoolers - it is well written, has a lot of crazy stuff happening, it's surprisingly well constructed and there's stuff to think about.

Edit: one good way to start getting into 'literature' would be checking some of the prizewinners to see if any of the blurbs catch your eye. I know it doesn't always seem that way from the outside, but Pulitzer and Booker prize winners are usually quite far from the super highbrow stuff that I've seen some genre readers painting them as. If you're looking for some more diverse stuff, the international prizes like Best Translated Book Awards and International Booker Prize are a good bet, although they do tend to favour more 'literary' books. Like, I loved Can Xue's Frontier, but it's definitely not a book I would recommend to somebody not used to being challenged by their reading.

And please, don't take on it as a challenge to read all of the winners or whatever. One of the fun things about literary fiction (for the lack of a better term) is that different books focus on different aspects of the literature. Some are all about the language, while others delve deep into the psychology of their characters. Still others are experimenting with the structure or the reader's perception of reality. There are plenty of good straightforward realistic stories as well.

That's also why it's not that easy to just recommend 'a good literary book'. It's not really a genre, the term means very different things to different people. If you know what you enjoy in books or media in general, it gets much easier for others to suggest you something.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU