Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Really enjoying all the lefties telling me to read a loving book when my grandad, a respected doctor, fled to Chile in 1945, and I grew up in Winchester.

e: 2 is the only even prime number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think empowering the "good ones", and ensuring the "bad ones" suffer consequences, would go a lot further than you think. Of course I absolutely agree we with your other points, but ultimately the problems come because bad people are allowed to act with impunity.

A solidly-enforced disciplinary and judicial process would have a massive mutliplier effect once the convictions started rolling in because you're removing that impunity. I'm sure - just as after Countryman and the other big anti-corruption sweeps of the 70s and 80s - you'd see a lot of coppers suddenly deciding coppering isn't for them any more for entirely unrelated reasons, and we can all wave them goodbye.

Replying from the other thread because it's actually an interesting point about how you deal with racist cops.

Now I firmly believe that to address a systemic problem, you need to stop asking who is to blame for wrongdoing and instead ask what's to blame. I'm not talking specifically about police killings and especially not George Floyd, because obviously justice needs to be served in those cases. But more about constant harassment of black people by police, why American police kill people in general, and why departments policing black neighbourhoods are overwhelmingly white. I don't think you can address those things by weeding out 'bad' cops, but they would ideally be weeded out naturally by sweeping reforms.

I mean I don't doubt you could make a huge difference if you could efficiently hunt down and punish all the cops who displayed brutality/racism like we have seen in the videos. I just don't think that kind of action is remotely possible unless the system is first ripped apart and remade, and if you ever manage to get to that point these sorts of issues should have already stopped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/willhel/status/1267458807086682113

Man seems to be from everwhere, perhaps he is the quantum leap guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, I'm sure those statistics are absolutely accurate to the numbers WaPo presumably got from the police, who don't recortd the numbers of unarmed black people they murder.

With a little effort, I'm pretty sure I could find the names of ten black people murdered by the police in 2019.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Remember when I wondered less than 24 hours ago how many police would be willing to use real ammunition on protesters?

https://twitter.com/GottaLaff/status/1267451009544028167

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

With a little effort, I'm pretty sure I could find the names of ten black people murdered by the police in 2019.

You would be a better investigative journalist than WaPo if you did so.

Stating one's apoliticality is inherently a political act, but I'm sure these people won't let that stop them.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jedit posted:

the guardian had an ongoing thing about US police murders of black people in 2018/2019 and it's thousands a year, the Wapo figure is solely where the cop straight up refuses to lie and insists they were right to murder

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jabby posted:

Remember when I wondered less than 24 hours ago how many police would be willing to use real ammunition on protesters?

https://twitter.com/GottaLaff/status/1267451009544028167

its ok though they "returned fire"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm really enjoying seeing people get radicalised in real time in the Cool Zone thread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently the shopkeeper who called the police to Floyd because of the dodgy cheque was Palestinian. (https://www.almjhar.com/ar-sy/NewsView/51001/181673.aspx - it's in Arabic and my arabic isn't good enough to translate so going on what Arab friends are saying on FB).

The shopkeeper's photo is being shared on social media by anti-Palestinian Arabs (of whom there are many - eg Egyptians who think Sadat offered some amazing deal to the Palestinians in 1956 or whenever* and they should have taken it and therefore deserve everything that happens to them now some 54 years later - average age of a Palestinian is about 17 years old).

Pretty sure that no matter what the shopkeeper's background he wasn't expecting the police to commit murder on the guy.

*haven't checked - this from memory

Ed: just realized there's an English YT vid interview with the shopkeeper in that link I posted - shall have a listen.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 1, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

Wanna bet the person whose fire they returned was a cop hiding amongst the protestors?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pretty sure that no matter what the shopkeeper's background he wasn't expecting the police to commit murder on the guy.

He should have been.

At this point anyone who is calling the police on a black man in america is at the very best, shamefully, pitifully ignorant of the consequences of calling the police on a black man in america, and regardless, is arguably complicit in the consequences.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

the guardian had an ongoing thing about US police murders of black people in 2018/2019 and it's thousands a year, the Wapo figure is solely where the cop straight up refuses to lie and insists they were right to murder
That's specifically shooting of unarmed people though, it doesn't count if they're armed, or the cop decides they're armed, or if the BB gun or gravity knife they found (or in some cases 'found') on the body counts, or if they're killed by choking them to death or beating them to death in a police van or if they're shooting back because it's a no-knock raid and 911 says they aren't police.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Wanna bet the person whose fire they returned was a cop hiding amongst the protestors?

He should have been.

At this point anyone who is calling the police on a black man in america is at the very best, shamefully, pitifully ignorant of the consequences of calling the police on a black man in america, and regardless, is arguably complicit in the consequences.

Interview with the shop owner (in English - it was in the arabic link I posted and I didn't realize). It seems it was a member of his staff that called the cops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJ7fxg3n0g

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

Just like when they returned fire on the leader of the Black Panthers hundreds of times while he was asleep.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ronya posted:

I don't think OF had that specifically in mind - hence my quick sketch of why, in fact, a union 'without politics' is a real thing that exists in UK labour law

It does look like the the organisation Adonis mentions does actively have it in mind...

except for the fact that it isn't a trade union at all and hence doesn't have any collective bargaining powers to begin with... its main raison d'etre appears to be liability coverage and legal guidance, the professional services are a freebie in order to compete with a union which might also offer its own representation.
Wow, they invented Legal Expenses Insurance

e: & I'm guessing the kind of fuckwits who endorse these things would regard striking &c as inherently political acts, which renders collective bargaining completely pointless since there's no real way of saying "no", so the idea of a non-political union is a complete oxymoron

communism bitch posted:

I'm really enjoying seeing people get radicalised in real time in the Cool Zone thread.
Link?

(plus obligatory, there's a frontpage other forums threads?)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 1, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

Odds on these protests resolving without something that will later be referred to as "The [insert place name] Massacre"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ian Dunt should read some articles on LatAm politics, like this one, by Ian Dunt.

thespaceinvader posted:

Could be, could be one of the gun rights contingent snapped, or it could be self styled accelerationists trying to turn the protest into a massacre.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

thespaceinvader posted:

He should have been.

Don't call the police, they'll shoot me

Don't call an ambulance, I can't afford it

Don't bother calling the fire brigade, I didn't pay the fee this year

Truly top number 1 country!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Wow, they invented Legal Expenses Insurance

e: & I'm guessing the kind of fuckwits who endorse these things would regard striking &c as inherently political acts, which renders collective bargaining completely pointless since there's no real way of saying "no", so the idea of a non-political union is a complete oxymoron

Link?

(plus obligatory, there's a frontpage other forums threads?)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925033&pagenumber=677&perpage=40

Thread for the ongoing US protests, with a lot of first-time protestors sharing experiences. Really good thread but almost impossible to keep up with when things pop off in US evenings because it moves so fast.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if bloody sunday is a good example, if there is a functioning US government after a massacre expect "justice" in around 50 years, and even then its just performative

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Calling the police on anyone, in any country, should come with the understanding that you might at least ruin their life if not get them or innocent bystanders hurt/killed. The number of times British police have been called for a "welfare concern" and proceeded to straight up murder the person whose welfare they weren't meant to be checking on is not insignificant.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh and yeah I wondered if we were any better and well, immediately saw a facebook post crossposting images of a twitter thread (because what godforsaken hellscape is communication in the social media age) naming twenty-odd cases of similar levels of careless racist violence (which is only a representative sample), so whilst we're not like, openly gunning down dissidents in the street (often), we're not exactly sterling examples of compassionate policing ourselves.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh and yeah I wondered if we were any better and well, immediately saw a facebook post crossposting images of a twitter thread (because what godforsaken hellscape is communication in the social media age) naming twenty-odd cases of similar levels of careless racist violence (which is only a representative sample), so whilst we're not like, openly gunning down dissidents in the street (often), we're not exactly sterling examples of compassionate policing ourselves.

Relative to a lot of the world we are. Unfortunately.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Sad but true :(

Also, we are actually quite privileged to be able to criticize our (and other) governments as much as we do without 'disappearing' or having electrodes stuck up our asses.

On the US / police thing:

Some of the stuff being reported in the twitter Doucette thread is similar to things that happened during the Egyptian revolution - snipers deliberately taking out protestor's eyes for example, and there was an incident where a van deliberately ploughed into demonstrators on Qasr Al Aini which was on loop on BBC World for ages.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 1, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/melissahydex/status/1267236664272990210?s=19

Am fuckin deed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't suppose any of the LARPers and/or plumbers ITT would have any idea what the best way to put a metal cap on a quarterstaff would be?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/simonwiesenthal/status/1267159665164513281?s=19

The guys who called Corbyn Hitler may be showing their true colours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that the building they used as the police HQ in robocop?

E: omnicorp HQ, rather.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
she's such a massive piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/margarethodge/status/1267476250148421635?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/simonwiesenthal/status/1267159665164513281?s=19

The guys who called Corbyn Hitler may be showing their true colours.

https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1267419222038269952?s=20

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Minimum two years training to become a police officer in the UK. Minimum three years in Norway.

Average (not minimum) training in the US? 34 weeks.

Take into account that unlike other countries US cops are routinely issued guns and sent to police a heavily-armed populace, and it's maybe not surprising they do such an abysmal job. ACAB, but some are more B than others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the things you put in a museum are dead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't suppose any of the LARPers and/or plumbers ITT would have any idea what the best way to put a metal cap on a quarterstaff would be?

Do you need to fabricate the cap or do you already have it at the right size?

Either way you would probably hold it on with nails and/or glue.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jabby posted:

I mean I don't doubt you could make a huge difference if you could efficiently hunt down and punish all the cops who displayed brutality/racism like we have seen in the videos. I just don't think that kind of action is remotely possible unless the system is first ripped apart and remade, and if you ever manage to get to that point these sorts of issues should have already stopped.

One further issue in doing this in the US is jurisdiction. Who's weeding out the bad apples in Bumfuck, Mississippi PD? It's not a federal body. At absolute best it's run by well known not racists the Mississippi state government. And you still need all 50 states to take it seriously even then which lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Do you need to fabricate the cap or do you already have it at the right size?

Either way you would probably hold it on with nails and/or glue.

I currently have a nice smooth, straight, and de-knotted stick. And a severe case of wanker's cramp.

I want to put a cap on the end so it doesn't split when I use it to walk with. A cross pin/nail might work I guess. Don't really have the tools to fabricate anything unfortunately, made the thing with sandpaper, a chisel, and a brick so I'm looking for what the best kind of off the shelf cap I can adapt, really, was hovering around threaded plumbing caps.

Like if I get a bit of pipe with a threaded end and then hammer it over the bottom, then buy a screw cap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there are a lot of reprehensible labour MPs but I think Hodge has to be the worst. Massive racist who covered up child sex abuse

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

there are a lot of reprehensible labour MPs but I think Hodge has to be the worst. Massive racist who covered up child sex abuse

As a councillor, margaret hodge allegedly asked an ex-con house cleaning co-operative to go round a list of houses that had received incorrect postal ballots (voter deceased or moved away) and return those ballots to her, personally.

I'm not accusing her of attempting electoral fraud, of course. The person she asked definitely was accusing her, and his fam assure me he stuck to that story whenever it came up, from the day she asked to the day he died. One of my partner's earliest memories of politics was him ranting about this during the 97 election night.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

margaret hodge attempted electoral fraud and is a massive racist pedo scumbag

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/simonbhooper/status/1267432084030791680

Could be interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It'll be fun seeing which labour MPs denounce this despite doing exactly what he said when the Tory reforms and cuts of the ehrc happened such as Yvette cooper