Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

gh0stpinballa posted:

remarkable work from people who think nothing of saying entire countries like china or iran are "brutal", "corrupt", "dictatorships", "genocidal shitholes" etc etc. grow up, frankly. grow the hell up.

Nobody says this around here, we say their governments are all those things. If someone accidentally says that about the country itself and is corrected they apologise and go 'yeah that's what i meant obviously my bad', you dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao it was all worth it for this

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1300429125149130752?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Miftan posted:

Nobody says this around here, we say their governments are all those things. If someone accidentally says that about the country itself and is corrected they apologise and go 'yeah that's what i meant obviously my bad', you dingus.

owlfancier has referred to china as "a genocidal hellhole" and no correction was forthcoming.

anyway nationalism is stupid and doing nationalism but for london is weird as hell lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't forget you can still vote in this to piss people off

https://twitter.com/UKPatchwork/status/1297156071518339073?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

I did the tour of Clapham South shelter with all round train expert John Bull off London Reconnections back in 2016. They said they were going to make it a regular tour but I don't think they ever did, was fascinating. They were hiring it out as dry document storage for years, but all the original bedframes are still there that housed the people sheltering, then US Military and later the Windrush generation that came in temporarily until they were housed in the surrounding area. There's still graffiti from the 40s/50s on the walls.
The TFL guides knew their stuff, there's even the stairs still there up to the Northern Line platforms, albeit blocked with tons of piled up metal railings, and for some reason they don't know which part of the platform it would've come out on, despite I would imagine it being fairly easy to work out.
I have a load of pics I can upload to Imgur if anyone's interested.

Please do, I've missed out on the ballot for the Goodge Street tour every single time (and am ashamed to admit I never even knew they did tours of Clapham South).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well that was great and a better end result than I anticipated

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

gh0stpinballa posted:

doing nationalism but for london is weird as hell lol

It's not nationalism to say that not everyone in this specific place contribute to the fact that it's main export is misery and are in fact, being exported to.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

This. Plus, metonymy is a thing. We might avoid saying "India is corrupt" because it accidentally pulls regular Indian people into the mix, but everyone understands that "Westminster is at it again" means the national government, not the normal inhabitants of the City of Westminster.

But we don't then dig ourselves into a bizarre hole claiming that Westminster is only the Houses of Parliament and we can't pretend it's anything else.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
https://twitter.com/Geddon_/status/1300416965597683713?s=20

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

was willing to just accept you have all failed to do the required investigations and reading but I've seen variants of this a couple of times today, and i have to say, i like how it can't be as simple as you all like a certain city and i hurt your feelings when i criticised it. no, that would make you defensive and tribalistic oafs, so it has to be contorted into some grander thing about how i was doing racism to londoners, the most oppressed people in the history of the world, and the factual and accurate posts are actually white noise/trolling because you live in london and therefore there cannot be anything deeply wrong with it.

we were even treated to gems like "if it didn't happen there, it would happen somewhere else so what can you do" and "describing what floats londons economy in plain terms is doing violence to maureen the pensioner and anyone else who lives there" and so on. remarkable work from people who think nothing of saying entire countries like china or iran are "brutal", "corrupt", "dictatorships", "genocidal shitholes" etc etc. grow up, frankly. grow the hell up.

I don't even live in London lol, your gimmick of pretending to be reasonable and logical in the face of all these deranged UKMT posters is pretty pathetic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never even seen london much less live there and have absolutely zero desire to go there and by all accounts it sounds horrible, but I specifically stopped saying gently caress london because it annoys other posters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The very first time someone has actually listened to Times Radio.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sky deleted that tweet on the poll lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jose posted:

sky deleted that tweet on the poll lol

What did it say?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that corbyn won the times radio best pm we've never had poll.

margaret hodge really is a piece of poo poo and no wonder she loving hated corbyn

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-11-20-dame-margaret-hodge-mp-a-very-british-apartheid-profiteer/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ran into this extremely cursed image on twitter

https://twitter.com/LibDemLaura/status/1300181563657908227/photo/1

and I don't know if I'm more amused or furious

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems fair, everyone is more passionate about their hobbies than their work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My experience is the exact opposite. Lib Dems I know spend all their time fulminating about Labour (either as being too extreme or as being Labservatives and bringing up New Labour poo poo, depending), hardly any bitching about the Tories. Which should give an idea as to where their real politics lie.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

that corbyn won the times radio best pm we've never had poll.

margaret hodge really is a piece of poo poo and no wonder she loving hated corbyn

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-11-20-dame-margaret-hodge-mp-a-very-british-apartheid-profiteer/

My MP, ladies and gents :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lib dems spend so much time trying to unseat conservatives that they ran conservative candidates in lab/con marginals last election!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I have never even seen london much less live there and have absolutely zero desire to go there and by all accounts it sounds horrible, but I specifically stopped saying gently caress london because it annoys other posters.

My reaction comes from a couple of places and is definitely an over-reaction but I'll try and explain as best I can where the roots of my reaction to this sort of thing come from.

There are (at least 9 million) legit problems with London, but "London is poo poo" (or blanket "London is the cause of problem <x>" arguments), even if they're not consciously from or supporting them, really quickly fall into one of a few pretty common and really nasty traps.

The first, which I think we're pretty safe from ITT, is the bog-standard right-wing one - London is probably the most diverse city in the country. Manchester and Birmingham maybe come close, it probably comes down to the exact way you measure "diversity", but this argument isn't about that, it's literally "there's less white/bright red faces than I feel happy with". I hope I don't have to expend any energy explaining why this argument can get to gently caress.

The next, and possibly most insidious one in the Left, is the weird belief that living in London is in itself a position of privilege. You can pick any number of reasons to hang this argument on - the most common ones at the moment are around infrastructure spending (despite, outside HS2, no central Government subsidy going to TfL for almost 5 years now, the "London gets 10 times more transport subsidy than anywhere else" argument being based on numbers from 2011 when money was being pissed in for Olympic stuff), but other ones also point at stuff like the higher median wages in London, or the concentration of the media sector, or whatever.

There's a centrist/soft-left variant of this - that the naked avarice of Capital is a uniquely London problem, and if weren't for London we'd be back to jolly old factory owners throwing sweeties out of their window to the assembled urchins and scamps. It's the old tone problem again, that capitalism isn't actually the problem, and if only those nasty bankers weren't quite so blatant about what they're up to all the problems would disappear. That Kelly cartoon, but about class instead of race.

Both of these rapidly run into a problem that should be a lot more obvious to people on the Left, or at least I'd hope would be - that by saying the problem is London, you're saying the solution is no more London. I've heard lots of variants on this ITT and elsewhere, even (most ridiculously) immediately after the EU referendum. Now quite apart from the blatant stupidity of this argument - you could Fight Club the entirety of the City and Canary Wharf and all of this poo poo *would* happen elsewhere because it's a societal problem, not evil eldritch powers emanating from clay soil - even if it were true, you're still saying "Yeah gently caress it, 9 million people are acceptably collateral damage because gently caress them for living in London". *That's* what I hear when someone says "London only exists to launder money". Its the "only" that I'm objecting to there, because you're claiming that my friends and family, who work as charity workers, hair stylists, computer touchers, cooks, cleaners, and general fuckaround office jobs are exactly as complicit in the rapaciousness of the 21st-century capitalist economy as the people in those massive towers.

Of course it's understandable because the unspoken coda to that argument is "...and I, enlightened not-London-dweller, therefore have the cleanest of clean hands". It's an understandable reaction among anyone aware of exactly how the world works, to try and deny that they themselves are also recipients of that privilege - and of course it's something I do when I say "No, you mean the City, not London as a whole".

In conclusion we come back to the thing I was saying before being so rudely interrupted - the problem is not London, the problem is capitalism, and pretending otherwise is at best lazy and at worst actually dangerously misguided.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a bit The City & the City in that there is a whole lot of stuff specifically built to privilege those who live and/or work in London, but with poor doors and hostile architecture and gated access areas it's very much but not those people that live in London.

(And those things all exist elsewhere, but it's no surprise that the largest city has more of them and more attention paid to them.)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Most Londoners can't seem to imagine intelligent life existing beyond the borders of TfL's realm, whereas most of the rest of the country would rather gnaw off their own arm than have to live in London, so I have to conclude that everyone is more or less where they are meant to be and we live in the most perfect of all possible worlds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a game you can play with almost every geopolitical entity though. Was the South Africa of the 80s "a fascist murder state run by racists" as many outside anti-apartheid activists would have it, or was it "a beautiful country run according to some very non-beautiful principles" as Desmond Tutu and many Black activists within the country would have it? Depends whether you're putting the emphasis on the geo or the political. Same with the terrible-for-Jeremy-Corbyn question of whether Israel has the right to exist. Depends on which Israel you're talking about.

Doesn't help that in all cases above (London included) there's a bunch of fascist smoothbrains making similar points for disingenuous reasons.

e: Also geopolitical is now pronounced like geoduck.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 31, 2020

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please do, I've missed out on the ballot for the Goodge Street tour every single time (and am ashamed to admit I never even knew they did tours of Clapham South).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5z3u04mda8xxcp/AAAgMAV_Zu2CYapppEi2AkxKa?dl=0
Imgur was being crap, but regale in my amazing cameraphone photography here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Great fans she's got

https://twitter.com/sineadactually/status/1300178171418021890?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't even make out half of what she's saying, other than I guess going for the "women are oppressed on the basis of biology alone" poo poo. What signs did she bring?

Goldskull posted:

Neat photos. What font is that on the fire alarm control board?

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

There's a Pink News story about the confrontation here

quote:

According to clips on social media, those present include include the activist Kellie-Jay Keen-Minshull, known online as Posie Parker – who has previously appeared alongside white nationalist YouTubers.

The videos of the exchange at Speaker’s Corner appear to show Keen-Minshull telling the female Black Lives Matter protesters that they are “misogynists” who “can’t even understand what a woman is”, while her supporters resort to the racist trope of claiming that the Black women are being “aggressive” towards them.

quote:

As one of the Black Lives Matter protesters patiently attempts to speak to the activists about oppression, she is repeatedly interrupted and told to “shut up” and, bizarrely, to “go wash your dick”.

quote:

One (MumsNet) user insisted that Black Lives Matter “is founded on anti-democratic principles [and] its support of ‘genderism’ is the least of what is wrong with it.”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

It's probably just as well I've not been down there because the temptation to nick one of those Bakelite phones would have been overwhelming

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jollity Farm posted:

There's a Pink News story about the confrontation here
Thank you.

quote:

The videos of the exchange at Speaker’s Corner appear to show Keen-Minshull telling the female Black Lives Matter protesters that they are “misogynists” who “can’t even understand what a woman is”
"Trans women aren't women" turned into "Black women also aren't women" already.

I wonder if she knows what a woman is, beyond some adult human female cliché.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me, it's me, I am King Woman, everyone else is doing it wrong.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Me, it's me, I am King Woman, everyone else is doing it wrong.

:eng101: queen

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lad

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1300402076560896002

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm gonna need a lot more info than that article gives, lol. If nothing else... how did the chase go? How did they get on board? Were cutlasses involved at all?

e: Also "Joseph Hawkridge" is a pro-tier pirate name

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Loooool

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If you want to say that London is poo poo, and you wouldn’t live there, and you don’t like people there, well, whatever. I’m not going to give up my right to slag off other parts of the country (lol Middlesbrough), so fine. But if you want to suggest that London as a whole is some kind of right-wing bastion of fat cat plutocrats, then you can go gently caress yourself. That is a direct insult to the many millions of people who live here in financial precarity as bad or worse than anywhere else in the country. And also, they are the most reliably left wing voters anywhere. To act like London is blissfully unaware of the real concerns of the working man, unlike the North or wherever, after the last election is a total loving joke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

(lol Middlesbrough)

I don't recommend it because it has the same energy as yelling at turds on the pavement.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/simulacrax/status/1300012193275052032
oh hey it's terry dicks, who you might remember from such hits as

quote:

TERRY Dicks, right-wing Tory MP for Hayes and Harlington, who supported the secret flogging of a Briton in a Qatar jail, had two expenses-paid trips to the Middle East emirate last year. Mr Dicks, who also excused the hanging of Observer journalist Farzad Bazoft by Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq in 1990, took an all-party delegation of MPs for a week-long visit to Qatar last September.

This trip followed an earlier visit to the Gulf oil state in June, when the Qatari government paid his fare but he paid for his accommodation. Questioned yesterday by the Independent on Sunday about his 'freebies', which are listed in the latest register of MPs interests, he put down the telephone.

Mr Dicks, chairman of the all-party Qatar Committee of MPs, said last month that the sentence of 50 lashes imposed on computer technician Gavin Sherrard-Smith for allegedly selling alcohol to a Muslim policeman would have public support in Britain.

The 50 'extremely painful' lashes along the length of Mr Sherrard-Smith's body were delivered by two prison officers as he lay stripped, face down on a mattress on the floor. Mr Dicks insisted: 'I am satisfied that the judicial system in Qatar was operated in a perfectly proper way, and the punishment fitted the crime.'
and

he died last year, and rather than lead with any of the above, or the time he said of a somali refugee family buying water in a supermarket 'where they come from they're happy to drink out of puddles', or when he learned that nelson mandela would be visiting london but refusing to meet with thatcher and reacted with 'how long will the prime minister allow herself to be kicked in the face by this black terrorist?', the papers all led off their obituaries by recounting what a bold provocateur he was, here's the Graun's for example

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If that's what he got from the man on the street, I think we have a solution to the London/London problem.

West London is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We usually have words for people who claim to hear disembodied voices.