Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

B99 hurts me because it's copoganda while also being one of the best shows on TV :(
Ah come on. Hard to take that show as pro-police when what it depicts is a million miles away from reality. Even cops will be watching it and wondering why Jake doesn't spend half his time punching Amy.

Its brilliant comedians playing competent police in a fantasy world where cops aren't desperate to escalate everything into violence. And gently caress, Andre Braugher is the funniest person on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Everyone in this thread has absolutely had breakfasts that looked worse than that and enjoyed them.

But seriously though I don't know what that meat is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

The horse bolted after someone threw a bicycle at it which is not cool. Horses aren't racist or willingly participant in an oppressive system.
Wouldn't be so sure of that https://youtu.be/KdvVpijAsiE

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I know The Wire was being discussed last week, and The Bunk has spoken

https://twitter.com/WendellPierce/status/1269579838848995328
The Bunk has been a bit of a lib in the past too, but even he gets this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

thanks for the churchill info, the only stuff i've read about him has been UK stuff which all lionises him to a ridiculous degree and i assume is all patriotic nonsense, dan carlin from back in the day who has a pretty dumbbasic understanding of history, and churchill's secret war which is from the indian side and paints him as a racist maniac.

i guess its impressive getting the british state to do anything together let alone a global war, mind you that does fall into the category of "killing ordinary people" which the state has never had any issue with

e: tbh thinking about it bojo could probably declare war on norway tomorrow and labour would be extremely horny to vote for it like all MPs seem to get around war. they could go on the telly so much too!
This is a point actually. I've been wanting to read a decent biography of Churchill for a long time, but every single one I find is either like Churchill's Secret War, which is about a specific part of his time as leader, or its marketed along the lines of "the greatest Briton and finest strategy mind in human history" and I immediately switch off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wachter posted:

It's a source of great amusement to me that sad old cunts are standing round in parks in the pouring rain "protecting" war memorials from protests that aren't happening
Just wait until afterwards when they congratulate themselves on scaring the BLM and antifa super-soldiers so much that they didn't even turn up.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

none of this exists you idiot
You'll find it harder to take him seriously when you realise that hes been doing this since 7am this morning lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

If this the end of SA, I just want to say it's been an honour and a privilege, goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nzy1cfnKh4

(I know it's cheesy, dammit, but it's apropos).
No. If we die, this is our anthem; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuhCQwwEBw

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Reveilled posted:

That said, if this is the end, I'm going to take this opportunity to finally say something I've dared not say ever since those early days: The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists was boring as poo poo. There, I said it.
I'm sensing a split in any new movement that might occur but lol, much love to you anyway. You're on the right side.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1276268055597899776?s=20

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kecske posted:

Another Pie rant doing the rounds on social media. I hate that dickhead so much
Just picture him saying "its loving mental" and you've probably got the gist

(I haven't watched it)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

The Room Next Door does it much better, and more subtley.
Yep. I'm not on board with the phrase "satire is dead" but I do think the vast majority of satire is poo poo, and Spicer is at least pushing in the right direction.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

XMNN posted:

please stop leaking the 2024 manifesto
I know it impossible to predict whats going to happen in four years time but I do think both of these will be true with absolute certainty;

1) The manifesto is going to eschew policy in favour of appeals to "values" and other meaningless waffle so much that you won't be able to read it without your brain trickling out of your nose.

2) Every person that told you over the past 5 years why under Corbyn they cannot in good conscience vote for Labour will be telling you that if you vote for anyone other than Labour you're a Tory.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

We should be cataloging all the bad decisions Starmer takes/things he says so when melts ask us why we don't luuurve him we can just slam a pile of it on them.

If I still had a Twitter account I would just go fully disingenuous and start claiming he’s a white supremacist, claim that his supporters sound like cultists and every time they get annoyed at how he's been quoted or depicted in the media say "so you're having a go at the free press now? Sounds Trumpian".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Are hospital car parks privately owned? Wouldn't shock me if the government u-turns on this to applause or this is just another example of how they're incapable of doing anything without finding a way to stuff the pockets of one of their mates.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sinky posted:

Just an entire article of :brainworms:

And a kid who worries about being able to afford a house in future, but might also vote tory because ???
lol simp nation.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This is the same Bari Weiss who tried to ruin the careers of Arab professors at Columbia Uni by associating their criticisms of Israel with anti-Semitism.

She should move to England, the media fully embraces that argument without question.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Starmer's behaviour is determined by Radiant AI.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The full video of Henry Cavil building a PC to the tunes of Barry White made my day. I particularly like the bit where he realises he made a mistake but doesn't fix it for a couple of days because he was too busy gaming.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

This is absolutely loving nonsense. And I'm tired of you guys constantly calling lib dems tories. They are a poo poo party with poo poo policies but they arnt the right. I get it's a meme and meant to be funny but I'm tired of it. The dems are a group with their own internal wings , many of them could easily be labour with a nudge.

The lib dems(and the greens) also tried to work with Labour on seat swapping deal and labour turned them down. Then in here it's the fault of the lib dems we lost? loving fantasy land.

The lib dems arnt doing well, it's possible they won't be around in a few elections, then who you going to blame for all your own gently caress ups.
My favourite Lib Dem moment of 2019 is when they ran Sam Gyimah, a former Tory himself, in Kensington who decided to go with a "Labour did Grenfell" campaign and the Tories won that seat back.

Theres loads of why Labour lost the last election, but even if they had won it, Lib Dems would still be scum.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

the death of corbyn, the only anti-racist political leader the UK has seen in my lifetime, and the MP with one of the strongest anti-racist background.... its SO loving british
Thankfully we've got an even better anti-racist in charge now. Get this right, he once took the knee for BLM *and* he did a 20 minute sensisitivity course about racism.

It gets better. Rumour has it that he has picked up White Fragility (signed hardback) and has got tickets to see Hamilton after the pandemic is over.

This is a far cry from the pointless, narcissistic symbolism of the Corbyn era.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

i saw that via kuennsberg because oz has me blocked
I've had four Twitter accounts, and every single one has been blocked with my first interaction with Oz, and on only one of those occasions did I really try (I laughed at him for attacking someone for being racist when he worked for the Daily Mail).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

I assume whenever I'm blocked it's due to people I follow rather than anything else
Hes a shithouse. I'm curious if theres any good articles about him, because hes a recurring name on UK twitter discourse that relentlessly parrots liberal talking points, but he also adds the extra spice of calling people Assadists because they don't want to nuke Syria or whatever.

Theres got to be an established way to describe liberals who are completely down for wars and war crimes but if you call them out on it they'll just straight up say you're a supporter of the regime they're targeting and all of their crimes. Because thats what Oz does, every day of his empty life.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You can apply that arguement to literally anything. Why is he wasting time on Twitter attacking Corbyn when he could be out raising money for LGBT causes? Just goes to showcase you where his priorities lie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anyone (Starmer) thinks that this would put an end to it, he is very much mistaken. The LP would be jumping to their whims at any time thereafter.
Its great. Its been such an effective tool to attack the Labour Party with, so not only are the Tories going to keep using it, but its still going to be used as a weapon internally as well.

Even I can do it too; "Starmer is a member of an institutionally anti-Semitic party and tried to get one elected to PM, and I cannot in good conscience vote for a racist". Boom, done.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

The sad thing about the disaster in Beirut is I am convinced that over the next few days it is going to go from "this was a tragic accident that occurred due to a number of errors and has killed innocent people" to "the official explanation doesn't add up. Nobody would have fireworks near explosives. Here is my conspiracy theory about how it was Covid Mind Control drugs that were set off by 5G transmissions."
"Israel fired a missile at it" and "Hezbollah accidentally blew up their own secret weapons stash" and the combination with "Israel blew up a Hezbollah weapons stash" are quite widespread on Twitter already.

No one actually knows exactly what happened right now but the people that drive me insane are the ones already trying to come up with stories about it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also Brace Beldon (formerly @pisspiggrandad on twitter, RIP), one of the hosts, is definitely one of the more interesting figures in the terminally-online left in that he has done many, many extremely offline things, culminating in going to fight ISIS with a Kurdish militia as part of his recovery from drug addiction. This - and his involvement with antifascist protests - has turned up in US DHS "intelligence" documents attempting to paint antifa as a terrorist organisation, something that certain other internet "leftists" are having Extremely Normal Ones about (because how dare they name him as a danger to society and not I, with my many "More like Drumpf!" posts?), and that he himself has responded to by pointing out as a "proper" communist he'd never get involved with the anarchist antifa.
I'd say that Gwen Snyder was having a normal one over the DHS thing, but shes having a normal one every day.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife and i really enjoy Last Week Tonight but there's one specific joke that really grates, and it's when he does a little impression and takes a role in the tortured analogy he's just used. Which often happens several times an episode. Also i know it's a comedy show but it gives serious whiplash.

But his show's research is amazing and i learn so much from it
Does he still make loads of jokes which are just references to franchise restaurants? I remember watching a few episodes back to back and every single one of them had an unfunny joke about Olive Garden and I just gave up.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Nick Cohen still legit thinks the war in Iraq was brilliant. Hes a true lib in that regard, he loving loves blowing up brown people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I can't be bothered to dig it up but I'm pretty sure the BBC ran an article last year about "its impossible for you to change any aspect of our world, so why are so many people upset that they can't change their it?".

Stoicism taken to its bleakest endpoint. Anything that might improve your life is now beyond your control. So shut the gently caress up. Accept it. Find a way to be happy. Its up to you to do that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

My old boss thought May appointing Johnson to her cabinet was "genius" because he would fail spectacularly and she would stop Brexit and sack him after.
To be fair, the sentiment that appointing Johnson to the cabinet was "genius" was pretty common at the time, and was just as baffling then as it is now in retrospect.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whoops, had radio 2 on in the car earlier. A listener told Jeremy Vine that this government had killed however many old people in care homes and he lost his rag and shouted him down telling him he sounded silly. Not that he was wrong, that he sounded silly. The guy pretty calmly said ok then, they were told that this was going to kill however many people and they did it anyway and asked Vine to tell him what he would call that. Vine said nah I don't think I will and hung him up.

It seems telling that Vine just isnt prepared to discuss it. How could that be true? Its too silly. But he was angry about the guy saying it.
Back when "I, Daniel Blake" was broadcast for the first time on TV a bunch of right wing columnists came out to give their thoughts on it and they were almost unanimously "obviously this situation is bad but it doesn't feel realistic to me". Meanwhile anyone who had followed any number of stories over the past decade concerning poverty would scratch their heads because we all knew that if anything the movie pulled its punches.

I think thats the way they avoid feeling guilty for what they've brought down on millions of people in this country. They just flat out reject the whole concept the second they hear it so at no point do they ever have to interrogate it. Same with CV-19.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Nawaz loving sucks, LBC is hot garbage, free press is an illusion
He is constantly mentioning that he got Robinson to leave the EDL, even though it was obvious at the time that this was a publicity stunt and Robinson hasn't exactly stopped being fash since. I'd call him an idiot but he seems quite savvy in how he manages his profile and the things he says.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If Corbyn wins it'll be "bots". Its always bots because Chorley is absolutely one of those guys that could never fathom why people don't like him and might like Corbyn, so they just assume they're not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Miftan posted:

I mean you know who's constituency that is now? Big John "Arm" McDonnell.
Hes a loving quality constituency MP and I know a full people that would be full Tory but sing his praises for the way hes gone out of his way to help them.