Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Happy Monday everyone, brought to you by the most normal country.

Also that GWU thing looks like a shitshow, hate these left infights that crop up where there's no clear series of events to refer to and a strong implication that you're not supposed to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress is bez he looks like pound shop bruce forsyth.

Bez has done it all. Madchester in the 80s, daytime TV in the 90s, Celeb Big Brother in the 00s, beaten in a parliamentary election by Rebecca Long-Bailey in the 10s. He's the UK's answer to the Renaissance man.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"extrovert" and "introvert" were invented by Myers-Briggs to sell more personality tests, don't believe the hype.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

This is the book she's pushing, idk, it's a thousand miles from my field and I've never come across the author(s) before, so I can't speak to any possible ideological angles they might have

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=72N9-3vavMcC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

That book is quoting William Styron's "The Confessions of Nat Turner", which is pretty racist and puts the words "an unspeakable bootlicking Sambo" in Turner's mouth about one of his fellow revolutionaries, which is very lovely but also straightforwardly the modern use of the term (especially given that it was written in 1967). This doesn't really help with your issue, but there really doesn't seem to be anything there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ms Sirtis is properly a devout Hegelian, it seems

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

this is how you do a monument

cspam proved its worth in teaching me of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAR_Canned_Beef_Monument

Google street view has it as of 2017:

It's behind the Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina, easily the most upsetting museum I've ever visited. One floor had an exhibit on the shared display of Yugoslav unity in the 1984 Olympic games, the next had eyewitness accounts of people being murdered by their next door neighbours in a race war less than a decade later.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bizarre tweet on the twin basis that the article is in part about Ahmed Best's mental health issues resulting from mockery about Jar-Jar Binks, so uh, nice one Tim, combined with the fact that unlike Tim Farron's pathetic grovelling, Ahmed Best being in Star Wars again is literally happening right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

josh04 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 9, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Illuminti posted:

In what weird world do you live in where you are under the impression that Rowlings opinions are somehow a minority stance?

The one outside of Mumsnet?

e: lol, a ten-year history of probes in the ukmt

josh04 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 9, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Necrothatcher posted:

So are they going to get that Rhodes statue down then? Seems a bit trickier than Colston.

Too high, a result of his desire to have himself placed literally above King and Church.

Relatedly, the Beeb have somehow failed to mention his commitment to anti-racism criticism:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Here's a thing

https://twitter.com/danohagan/status/1270343135512670208

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Spangly A posted:

if you

then

and we

so we

and we

and all anyone can hear is

I really liked this one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Tarnop posted:

It's following the Osborne austerity template, so I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone

Next couple of weeks is the deadline for getting in redundancy notices before companies start paying for furlough, so I'd expect we're going to hit 25% well before Brexit

DNEG, one of the big vfx firms in Soho, just announced 200 redundancies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jesus, VFX is such a shitshow.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well, at least it's not all bad:

quote:

He was one of three doctors that enabled Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi to be released, after obtaining a diagnosis of imminent terminal cancer. The services were paid for by the Libyan Government. Sikora gave him three months to live ... whereupon al-Megrahi recovered in miraculous fashion, living on for several years.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm sticking to the theory that the polls are nonsense that may as well start from the assumption that the Torys get 40% and the election turning out to roughly match them was coincidence.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Borrovan posted:

Because the Sun are doing exactly what she did, making her out to be a victim to shield her from criticism for her flagrant transphobia

It's not really fair to suggest that the Sun are doing Rowling a favour by putting her abusive ex talking about slapping her on the cover, regardless of anything else.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Communist Thoughts posted:

you know what they say, the best way to fight racism is with a technocratic spook with a hairdo

But Rory Stewart is nowhere to be found?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I replaced my old powerline adapters a few months ago because one of them kept dropped out under load.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Party Boat posted:

The weird thing is the computers upstairs are connected over powerline as well and they never had any issues. You'd think that the device that's in the same room as the router would encounter less interference.

For mine it was just overheating, nothing technical.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apart from the Colston statue, has anyone anywhere either on the left or BLM tried to take out a statue or called for the removal of a statue?

I can't find anything to suggest that they have, just over-anxious local councils covering up statues, hysteria about the possibility in the usual suspect 'news' papers, and representatives of the tories and fash, and that tory MP wanting to desecrate Karl Marx' grave.

Rhodes Must Fall, which predates this current controversy and caused much seething at the time.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

With one of the writers for Picard in the replies, excellent.

https://twitter.com/zayas_nick/status/1271593700993282048

(every single reply is a variation on "my grandfather's slaves!")

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Actually I think you'll find "we did it"?

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1272866991683051520

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

one of the reasons brendan o'neill and tom harwood are constantly on the bbc is that they have absolutely nothing else going on in their lives so are always available and producers know this

not defending it just pointing out their lives are loving miserable cos nobody likes them lol

Obligatory reminder that Tom Harwood could only persuade 35 out of 1,200 of his peers at the NUS conference to vote for him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You'd better start believing in Admiralty Courts, Miss Turner... you're in one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nice.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah they'll just start a war with *rolls dice* Iran and institute conscription for the unemployed.

Hey, that dice says "Iran" on every side!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angepain posted:

while we're in the end times I want to come clean to everyone as the person who spent actual money making and buying :umberto:

Someone posted this at me the other day and it was straight-up topical, so well done.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nah, cancelled my direct debit. They'll go down like the Dems in the US, appealing to the last mythical centrist racist on the burnt cinder of a planet and I'll just be pissing pennies into a bottomless well until then otherwise. Someone get can get my cash.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Some trots with one newspaper and half a trellis table between them, idk. If all the parliamentary path to power is is "wait for lightning to strike or external conditions to force change within the party" then it's unclear what being inside that party is benefitting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

in case people aren't aware the people who run bread and roses are dodgy as gently caress. like 2 sex pests and someone who outs trans people dodgy

if this is the case that really just makes it par for the course in terms of leftist SA spinouts, SA spinouts in general, SA itself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

They've never posted in gbs and I think stopped posting on sa altogether when the news became public

It sure would be nice if lowtax just handed the keys over for sa

if he doesn't can you steal a db dump and we'll rebuild it elsewhere?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/were-labours-antisemitism-failures-really-corbyns-fault/

lol

quote:

Contacted for this article, the Labour Party said: “These were messages exchanged between co-workers in the expectation that they would remain private and confidential and the tone of the language used reflects that.” The party added that it was “po-faced” to characterise the messages as “infantile”.

well, that's okay then

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Flipswitch posted:

https://twitter.com/wurrance/status/1276799521826062336

Turns out Glinners been throwing his knob out to lots of strangers.

Parody account, plus it's gone.

e: blue tick also gives you priority replies to other blue ticks and some extra Twitter functionality, iirc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The specifics are almost irrelevant to the point Peake was making; even if the Israeli police didn't literally tap a blackboard with a diagram of a neck on it to a rapt audience of US cops, they absolutely train together and form a direct conduit for tactics learned suppressing Palestinians to be used against US civilians. The link is the point, not the idea that the Israelis have a secret neck-stepping tactic they have to teach individually.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angepain posted:

his swift self-correction that Black Lives Matter is not a "movement" but a "moment" is... interesting. what does he feel the difference is. it sounds like he figures it will just go away after a while and then we can get back to not thinking too hard about what police do

He's proving his anti-racist cred by misquoting Hamilton.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Stamer and his crazy explanations,
The Independent's gonna want a resignation,
RLB's tweeted their exaggerations,
There'll be space on front bench, tonight!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, nothing prevents air from mixing like a small partition.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if it's just showing its age but I can't help but feel this is describing a thing that I don't think exists and also drawing absolutely terrible conclusions and suggestions from it.

Yes - going back and re-reading it there's less that's relevant every time. The appeal is identifying [people who are criticising you] as vampires who make their profit in pious denunciations, but denouncing others as social vampires unconcerned with class struggle is itself a pious denunciation. Beyond that, I don't think anyone in the UK or the US could seriously claim that we refuse to talk about class in deference to identities, or are scorning the parliamentary route to power, after our corresponding, largely united old-white-guy electoral campaigns. Owen Jones made it through the gauntlet alive, and we have a handful of more figures like him. The tactics Fisher describes still see use - but as he notes, they were a feature of some parts of the left pre-social-media too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

You guys clearly have never gone down the bottom left twitter rabbit hole and I'm loving jealous of you

Pretty much every online left group I was in around 2013 collapsed in recriminations, sometimes it was silly, sometimes it was unpleasant. I just don't think that in the end it was as apocalyptic a pattern as Fisher describes: like you say, you have to hunt this stuff out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

I think he's also missing the important point that anger and spite are important expressions of class solidarity. Like there is this idea that people are just doing ti performatively and out of a desire to make the world less enjoyable, but a lot of the motivation behind that approach comes from a very genuine place. It's literally all you have, a lot of the time. You're utterly politically disenfranchised but you can be a part of flexing collective power in specific cases, notably making people cry on twitter.

I think looking at it and saying 1. that it's a bourgeois affectation, 2. that it's not a form of class consciousness, and 3. that everyone needs to stop doing it and act like little marxist robots are all really weird and wrong conclusions to draw. The desire to spit in the eye of people you have genuine reason to dislike and to do it with people you feel a degree of kinship with is entirely natural and unavoidable as long as society keeps making GBS threads on people. Your politics must include room for that or it's going to be the dryest most liberal shite imaginable.

I think that's uncharitable to Fisher, who was plenty caustic when the moment called for it. He'd by no means have been a friend to the cancel-culture letter shitbags. His worry was people achieving elevated status within left circles by sole virtue of being able to direct this anger in a kind of witch-finder general role, and there certainly were and are people who take that role - that's the 'bourgeois affectation'. I think in the longer view, far more people on the left were interested in being part of Corbynism and the role of professional caller-outer has been picked up by FBPEs and Weetmans. Say whatever else you like about the Novara lot, but they haven't made their rep tending to call-out threads and that's the specific form that Fisher's trying to pick out.

ThomasPaine posted:

Fisher's just describing the blowback from trying to articulate an actual class analysis within a heavily neoliberalised and often extremely dismissive individualist 'left' that insists on decentring the unique importance of socioeconomic relationships, and I think it's this frustration that he's mad about rather than being outraged that people argue with each other or focus on 'irrelevant' secondary issues, which often seems to be a bit of a strawman wheeled out by his critics.

Agreed, but the conversation on this is very different now to where it was in 2013. I don't think there was a significant left movement to get behind Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg on an identarian basis, and liberals who suggested it were laughed at.