Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ronya posted:

I don't think OF had that specifically in mind - hence my quick sketch of why, in fact, a union 'without politics' is a real thing that exists in UK labour law

It does look like the the organisation Adonis mentions does actively have it in mind...

except for the fact that it isn't a trade union at all and hence doesn't have any collective bargaining powers to begin with... its main raison d'etre appears to be liability coverage and legal guidance, the professional services are a freebie in order to compete with a union which might also offer its own representation.

Other than video chats, all teaching unions currently offer all those other things. I guess you can argue about 'best value'. Teaching unions don't even endorse political parties anymore ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

I remember it because it's like the useless gun in Goldeneye, which makes the Russian connection in my head.

Egg is just crazy though.

Picture of bike, yep
Picture of car, yep
Picture of egg, yay-tzoh - confused face

Huh, that's pretty close to the Hebrew word for egg - Bay-tzah. I wonder what the common root is there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Semitic languages aren't related at all to indo european ones are they? Presumably it'd either have to be a loanword or convergent evolution?

I mean Yiddish has a ton of crossover with Russian/German and both those countries have had massive Jewish populations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Yiddish is specifically mediaeval German welded to Hebrew isn't it?

High German–based vernacular fused with elements taken from Hebrew and Aramaic as well as Slavic languages and traces of Romance languages. It's a bit of a mess.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Does anybody know what I can do if I want to help with the protests right now? What are good places to give money to, etc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

:siren: Latest Podcasting is Praxis episode has been fixed and is ready for your earholes :siren:

Here's the long awaited second part of our cultural series wherein we examine the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including how Tony Stark is a liberal hero and how the seeds of eco-fascist propaganda have been right there the whole time.

Enjoy!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

They've been trying to spend a ton of money on a new riyal yacht for years now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have a growing need to propose a theme for an episode for the podcast to look at, where would be the best place to do that?

:justpost: or join us on the discord!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Prince John posted:

I like the sound of this system. Currently, if a comfortably earning family ended up on UC for a few months, that could be the uprooting of them from the family home and into a car or bedsit or something. It doesn't really serve society's interests for this to happen if it's going to be a blip until they find another reasonably well paid job. If they hadn't contributed enough beforehand, take it out of future earnings by adjusting their tax code, so you don't dis-incentivise saving.

With a generous non-contributory element to cover the unemployed or people on smaller wages, I can see how this could be popular. Having a contributory element for higher earners helps manage resentment over different people receiving different amounts.

This assumes that the base will be enough to live off. Seeing as how in that article he also mentioned raising UC by 20 loving pounds, I don't think that's going to be the case.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

How well do you people eat that you'd turn your nose up at that? You'd don't even have to finish it all but dip a sausage in a poached egg, spoon a bit of beans onto the toast wtf is wrong with you?

I swear half this thread is "I spend £14 a week on food and get by" and the other half is on some Prince-Andrew-quail-egg-and-smoked-epicure business and there's zero in-between that's an excellent breakfast.

The joke understander has logged on.

P.S. Chocolate oranges, along with black pudding are disgusting filth and I will never eat them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Get the cat its own account.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

There is a time and place for mushrooms.
And that is Never. And in the bin.

:wrong: mushrooms are great.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I remember the favourite word in my German lessons was 'Naja!' said with heavy, heavy sarcasm.

I'd never say I speak German as such but I can ask where the station is and say 'I'm sorry, my German is very bad, could you please say that a bit more slowly' and that'll get you around.

I my experience if I ask a German or Dutch person to say something slower they'll instantly just switch to English.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I posted this a few days ago, it's a nonsense survey with horrible questions and they're collecting emails. I'm not giving them my loving email, but I'm hoping the resident computer touchers might be able to find a quiet way to gently caress with the data or something.

Give them some tory mps emails.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Would be intrigued to know why you were hard when you winced :thunk:

Makes it easier to shove stuff up there, I would imagine?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Harder, pretty sure, if you've ever tried to piss with a hard on.

I guess, but I thought the point of sounding was to get you hard anyway so

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

What's a Mr Twist? Is it a chocolate bar?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bessantj posted:

I've never understood the whole "I was a leftist but someone on the left was mean to me so I ran to the right." attitude. If someone on the left meaning mean to you means you abandon your beliefs then you're either a liar , coward or both.

It's because a lot of liberals like to think of themselves as 'soft left' or 'left' because they know the right wing is bad about a lot of subjects they care about, but actual, real left positions scare them. So it's a good way to rationalise it for themselves. This is because their politics are built on:

a) I have people I disagree with (the right wing)
b) I don't want to inconvenience myself because I'm not in the 0.1% of wealth haver so why should I suffer?

Left positions make those two things clash and that makes them uncomfortable so they can add 'the hard left' to point one and still think they're good people (for opposing the right) without compromising point b.

Or they're just 'socially liberal, fiscally conservative' and I don't think anybody needs me to post the 'the outcomes are bad but the causes.. the causes are very good!' tweet again.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bessantj posted:

That's just lying to themselves. So they use "The Hard Left" for anything they don't care for?

For anything that makes them uncomfortable or demands sacrifice from them, ie interferes with B. This also applies to the statues for some people because they know that if this stuff happens through due process, their lives won't be interrupted (like how the slave owners got paid when slavery was abolished), but direct action makes them nervous because there's no filter to make sure they don't have to sacrifice their privilege. This is all my own psychoanalysis, obviously.

bessantj posted:

That was such a good tweet.

There's a great Rage Against the Machine thread on twitter right now. Did you know they're suddenly a political band?

For anyone who hasn't.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Camrath posted:

Fudge Update

Fudge orders are being shipped out today!

This has been by far the busiest month for mailed out orders, and it’s all thanks to you lovely people. The vets bills that we were hit with last month have been covered completely, and I’ve also been able to put funds aside for future issues resulting from my cats being idiots.

Both the boys are fully healed up now, and are massively grateful (in as much as a cat can be) for the support and solidarity you’ve all shown. And their gratitude is only exceeded by that of myself and my wife.

I tried to get a picture of the two of them together for you all, but unfortunately that just was /not/ going to happen.

Edit: Khajiit has fudge if you have coin..

:3:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

It's almost as if the right wingers... Are the real snowflakes??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah that's right

Otoh a sheep could certainly say Veee onomatopoeias aren't consistent across cultures

Frogs in Belgium say Kwaak, apparently.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What do the Flemish say though?

"We definitely do better chips than the Dutch"?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Thanks for the cheering and/or sympathetic responses guys.

While I'm not gonna avoid this forum (which these days is my sole source of news, other than a brief scan of the guardian in the morning) I have deleted Facebook, which I've been meaning to do for a while.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed the slow but noticeable infiltration of local FB groups (e.g. buying and selling groups) by trolls and/or bots. It creeps me the gently caress out, as since lockdown started these previously tame and civil groups have started tearing each other apart over first, social distancing, and, more recently, racism / anti racism.

The reason it creeps me out is because the fights are usually instigated by people with hitherto very inactive profiles other than the occasional racist / anti racist post every year or two. I figure at least some of these people must be bots, but if so, who's responsible for them, and why?

The conspiracy theorist in me feels like it's a Russian/Chinese /NK tactic to sow discord in the UK, but that just seems so tin foilly...

I would imagine a fair amount of people are spending more time indoors now and are bored out of their mind. Arguing with strangers on facebook is one way of getting human contact, I suppose?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't overplay the "nazi salute" thing. The vast majority of them are pointing, it's just a thing you do in time with the singing. Sure it's probably just a figleaf for some of them, but most of them would be extremely pissed off at the idea they were doing something German.

Yeah I looked at the videos and the vast vast majority of them are definitely not nazi salutes fwiw.

On an unrelated note, let's see what's trending in England on Twitter... Oh, oh it's White Lives Matter. Lovely.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Literally do not say the next line lol

Trans men are valid :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've not flown Ryanair then?

To be fair, frequent flyers are some of the most entitled shits in the world and I support any check in desk minimum wage dickhead that wants to yell at them.

The type of attitude people get in airports when they're travelling is like nothing else in the world.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I worked retail and customer service for years and I never saw anything as bad as this American bloke who went into a full operatic meltdown about something to do with his air miles not being counted properly or something at the KLM desk at Schiphol. I've seen someone with an actual bone-sticking-out leg break make less drama, and the poor woman at the desk just had to take it before again attempting to explain that it was a problem with Delta (I think, or some other American airline partnering with KLM), not KLM. After about ten minutes he knocked a little cardboard stand off the desk and stormed off literally screaming.

It has occurred to me just now that possibly this is just how rich people interact with the world and service people in particular. Airlines have just been my only experience with extreme wealth in a public setting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

The only funny thing pissflaps ever did and he knocked it out of the park.

Nah, drunk election night pissflaps was really funny as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

From my experience temping at Parcelforce, assume all boxes are getting literally hurled down the other end of a lorry and plan accordingly!

Uh yeah, this happens with every big shipping company and applies equally to computers/printers or anything else. Doesn't matter if it's fragile. The only thing that doesn't get regularly tossed around is glass, if it's labelled as such, in my experience.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Hell I wouldn't even assume that to be honest - when I did it they had a conveyor belt feeding into the back of the truck container, then the boxes come and stopping the belt is a big no-no

If you have time to walk back and check a box early then great, but when it gets frantic you're playing late-game Tetris and you just need to get the box somewhere before the next ones fall off the conveyor

So sometimes you really don't have time to read warnings or requests to place the box a certain way up (and small stuff is easy to throw and get out of the way - on the plus side it tended to go on top because you can fill out that space with smaller things)

I didn't work there long and I have no idea about the industry in general and company practices bla bla beyond what you usually hear from people - I've just seen some things! Solid cardboard boxes with decent packaging to stop things moving around (even stiff crumpled paper seems good, plus my cat loves it) seems like your best bet. Would you be happy playing catch with it, that's a good baseline

Also if it's just being couriered in a van it'll probably be cared for a bit better, they're a bit easier to load and unload

Yeah I worked for UPS for about.. 8-9 months? and what you're describing is generally how it is, but sometimes there's an overlord looking at stuff and going 'put that aside' or something. Definitely always make sure everything you ship is packed as solidly as you can otherwise it'll get damaged.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

All these super chill lurkers coming out of the woodwork when posting is about to become haram is a drat shame. :justpost:

It's been real heartwarming seeing all the people who the UKMT has influenced in a bunch of ways, but let us not also forget that the thread housed Pissflaps for ages, so really who can tell if it's good or bad.

I love this thread. It's an amazing community and I've met some really good friends through here, and got a ton of support and a political education.

Chocolate oranges are disgusting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I disagree with that statement. I think that linking the kneeling technique to Israel without proof is a load of crap and she shouldn't have done it. Other than that, I don't think there's any antisemitism involved here. Yes, sometimes people use criticism of Israel to mask their antisemitism, but that's really hard to prove and doesn't mean that all criticism of Israel should be suspected antisemitism unless 100% accurate and verified. People get poo poo wrong all the time.

The Question IRL posted:

Because if you punish someone for mentioning Lady Astor, who can MP’s hold up as the first female MP? An Irish-woman?
That would be the worst possible outcome.

A nazi??? Like sure she's all those things but more importantly she's an actual nazi who liked Hitler's approach to 'the jewish question' so maybe it's okay to say she is the worst and we shouldn't be looking up to her. (She's also not the first female MP)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

I got to this bit and thought 'hang on, that's a bit of a loving leap':

Yeah that's exactly what got me as well. Like I said though, being mistaken on where the technique originates is.. hardly antisemitism in my opinion. Especially since they're blaming Israel and not Jews. If they're happy to say 'gently caress yeah my bad I didn't have the evidence to back that up' then that should be enough. You'd think jewish groups who are big on 'antisemitism is everywhere' would be more understanding of someone being misinformed by all the antisemitism that's hovering around all over the place? If someone says something racist you don't just go 'gently caress you buddy get the gently caress out' you say 'that's racist maybe apologise and here's why you're wrong' first before kicking them out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

spiderbot posted:

I stand with Miftan on chocolate oranges

:sickos:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Payndz posted:

Bit late now, FFS.

Is there anyone who doesn't think we're going to crash out with no-deal through a combination of both malice and incompetence?

Me. I think it's just malice and possibly some "I'm gonna make a ton of money off this"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a difficult one when casual, non-ill-intentioned, well-used phrases can actually be construed differently.

At uni once, I was in the foyer of one of the buildings and there was a guy in a very complex wheelchair who no arms. I didn't recognize him as someone in the department and I used my stock phrase "Is anyone looking after you" which I would have said to anyone of any ability who I saw looking 'lost' in the foyer.

Well did I get an ear-bashing! "I can take care of myself, I don't need looking after etc".

I was taken aback and quite upset that my words had been interpreted in that ableist light. But it did give me pause for thought and I tried hard not to use that phrase again though I was hard pressed to think of an alternative (and still am as assistants asking 'are you being looked after' is quite common currency in my local shops!)

See, my initial go to is "do you need a hand" but that wouldn't be appropriate either. Maybe just "do you need some directions"?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Forums poster goddamnedtwisto had three semi-automatic knives in a sock inside a shoebox behind a hedge 100 yards away, therefore the shooting was justified.

Hey come on you know he lives in London. Don't give the Met any ideas.

Obsessed with being the mature grown up in the room. Someone @ me when he actually does something of substance about it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

The strategy is obviously to not generate headlines until it matters.

That’s not terrible, although it is cynical af.

It's not like Labour will have the numbers to win a vote in parliament any time soon, so anything the Labour does is just for show and to win people over. This also means that generating headlines should always be their priority, on things that make them look good. If they judged that coming out for the GRA will make them look bad and so decided to avoid the issue, that means they're prioritising "winning people over" over trans rights. Now, some people might say that they'll just fix that once they're in, but we don't have any proof of that so it just looks like Labour want to not fight over trans rights because they don't see them as important. Even worse, it means the tories get to frame to debate on it if Labour keep silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, they're one of the the biggest and best-funded political pressure groups in the country. Any stances they take now are no more 'just for show' than any other pressure group/charity's work (remember that one twenty-two-year-old footballer got the government to reverse course on school meals), and let them practice campaigning and build their infrastructure for when the next elections roll around.

No, I agree. I meant that they're a pressure group atm, they can't get anything through parliament, but they also need to get elected, so they probably think they need to choose what they pressure on. Which means, to me, they've decided trans issues aren't important enough to pressure on. I completely agree they should be taking a hard stance on this, and the fact that they're not speaks to their priorities.