Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finally a UKMT without the politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solefald posted:

rip me murdered by pollen

Mine hasn't kicked in yet, mercifully, but I probably only have a month left, if that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress is bez he looks like pound shop bruce forsyth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A tiny bit of unfinished business from the last thread - I was struggling to remember the name of the American bluetick who managed to perfectly encapsulate two hard-and-fast rules of the universe:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1267060056203427840

- Anyone with a cartoon of themselves as their avatar is a twat
- Any portrait with the subject's hands visible is the mark of a dickhead

I really enjoy these takes because it's basically "black people are rioting because the police murder them discriminately, white people don't, therefore white people are better."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Mate. How? How don't you know Bez, the pulled up guy who danced and shook maracas for the Happy Mondays 30 years ago?

I was busy making GBS threads my pants constantly at the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was hoping that she like, literally body checked him down a flight of stairs or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/willhel/status/1267458807086682113

Man seems to be from everwhere, perhaps he is the quantum leap guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't suppose any of the LARPers and/or plumbers ITT would have any idea what the best way to put a metal cap on a quarterstaff would be?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that the building they used as the police HQ in robocop?

E: omnicorp HQ, rather.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the things you put in a museum are dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Do you need to fabricate the cap or do you already have it at the right size?

Either way you would probably hold it on with nails and/or glue.

I currently have a nice smooth, straight, and de-knotted stick. And a severe case of wanker's cramp.

I want to put a cap on the end so it doesn't split when I use it to walk with. A cross pin/nail might work I guess. Don't really have the tools to fabricate anything unfortunately, made the thing with sandpaper, a chisel, and a brick so I'm looking for what the best kind of off the shelf cap I can adapt, really, was hovering around threaded plumbing caps.

Like if I get a bit of pipe with a threaded end and then hammer it over the bottom, then buy a screw cap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceClown posted:

The thing you're looking for is a "ferrule"

https://www.walkingsticks.co.uk/type-h-ultra-metal-walking-stick-ferrule.html

Snipe Edit: The name evolved from Middle French virelle and Old French virol and ultimately from Latin viriola, meaning "small bracelet." The "f" spelling of today's ferrule was influenced by ferrum, the Latin word for "iron."

Oh hey, I didn't know they sold them.

I actually found the concept of a ferrule the other day but didn't think that they'd just sell them. Will have a skeg and see if I can find something. Cheers!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

30% accuracy is still like multiple orders of magnitude more accurate than the army.

Main takeaway I think is that on a statistical level, in a fight, guns just aren't very accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, but you need to do that because they're shooting at you. And trying very hard to hit people rather than 1. not getting shot yourself and 2. hoping someone else will sort it out are both pretty unavoidable human factors.

Just broadly there is no way to be the guy from equilibrium in real life. Much less to create a society based around everyone being the guy from equilibrium. Though that doesn't stop weirdo right wingers from belieiving that you can and should do that.

Even with a volunteer army which selects for people who presumably find the idea of going and shooting other people appealing, there's a mountain more misses than hits. If you're suggesting that everyone in society should be ready to participate in shootouts then that's not going to improve, as it didn't during wars when there was a draft.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The police are the professional violence doers of the moneyed class, yes. No argument there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Two options: one as noted above, a ferrule, which wraps around but doesn't cover the end. Make it out of a bit of metal pipe. Fitting it can be a bit of a struggle if you can't use a lathe to get the size correct, but certainly isn't impossible, easier if you can heat up the ferrule and burn it onto the wood to get the final shaping and use the shrinkage of the metal to get a tight fit..

Second would be a cap. Easiest way would honestly probably just be to get a rubber walking-stick foot, they're like quid and they won't ding up anyone's floor, and they're trivial to fit. If you're set on metal, then I guess a plumbing cap the right size would work, I wouldn't want to rely on just a thread to hold it on though, I'd probably want to drill and pin it on, with nails doing diagonally down towards the base of the stick.

But honestly, if it's a decent piece of hardwood stick, just fire hardening it and dunking it in varnish should give it plenty of life unless you're leaning your whole weight on it and doing so on concrete, routinely.

Softwood I think, got it as a branch that the forestry had lopped off something and I'm shite at identifying trees at the best of times, it's strong enough but the one I've got at the moment I wore the cap and the end off pretty quick, so I might try a ferrule or a plumbing cap, plumbing cap attached to a threaded pipe fitting would be nice cos I could swap it with a spiked one for when it rains.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there is a comma missing there, a last resort, (such as) where index crimes have been committed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't they tase him twice on two separate occasions?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah the second time was just harrassment, no taser involved, clearly they learned something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if he tried that he might actually get couped, the money really would not like that.

Besides the army has plenty of jammers that can knock out wireless communications across a city if it needs to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of the US's economy is reliant on the commercial internet though, so it's not just stuff like the stock market.

If anything leaving the stock market turned on and switching off the basis of all the companies trading on it might be even worse :v:

Like literally destroying the US tech market. Lot of big money tied up in that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, the only way out I see is giving into the demands honestly. The scale of damage he'd need to do to get on top of it is probably beyond the US's ability to cope with and the longer it goes on the more people are gonna side with the protestors against the literal stormtroopers shooting people indiscriminately, I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if there is a market for a set of runestones with medical terminology on them that doctors can use when people ask for remote medical advice.

Like I cannot legally give you advice but I can cast the runes and tell you what they say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

How is "other" so high in this report? Assuming people of Chinese/Japanese origin are being grouped under "Asian" (which is always a tricky subject in this country), you've got white, black (which presumably covers African and Caribbean heritages), Asian, and mixed races, I'm struggling to see a fifth category that can account for more deaths.

| would guess perhaps a lot of europeans might write their nationality in?

E: Or that ^

I guess it says something about me that I haven't really noticed any change in my mental health at all and my biggest complaint is I can't go to the beach during the lovely sunshine.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

It seems to be one of the ideas that had even a little merit. Some people really need other people to feel alive. Others end up utterly worn out after social contact and want nothing more than to be alone with a book. And anecdotally there seems to be little middle ground.

The way I always look at it is "is socializing something you put effort into to get something out of, or is it something you do to wind down"

Is it a hobby or relaxation, basically?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So are they bringing another reactor online then?

Coohoolin posted:

I've seen a take on twitter in a few places that part of the anti Corbyn vitriol was due to his being perceived as a voice for BAME people and minorities, and the this made the racist commentariat middle classes very uncomfortable.

I don't think that's so much a twitter take as blindingly obvious, they were falling over themselves to poo poo on Abbott when she was shadow home sec.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be surprised if they don't given the government has a large majority.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have £100 and your childminder needs £100 then I think you should give her £100.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Semitic languages aren't related at all to indo european ones are they? Presumably it'd either have to be a loanword or convergent evolution?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like it's convergent then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds a lot like german but if the person speaking the german was whatever the german equivalent of a geordie or west country or scottish is. Wildly different pronunciation on a lot of the words which I assume is the result of divergence over time combined with holdovers from older german. A lot like middle english to modern english as well.

Re: languages which sound similar apparently there is such a thing as interslavic which can be sort of understood by most members of the slavic language group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NztgXMLwv4A

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that the UKIP libertarian tendency causing the stars to align?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also have to say there's a surprising number of people on like youtube and that who are not normally political making pretty surprising statements in support of the protestors.

Definitely feel like this is one of the really big expressions of the political generation gap. Long may it continue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit worse than a flashbang that one's full of basically rubber shrapnel. For when you want to put the eyes out of an entire room of people at once.

I think some of them also have tear gas in too?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem with making the police the good guys is that people see that and project it onto the actual police.

It's broadly the same issue with representing say, the monarchy, as good, well meaning, sympathetic people. Because the actual monarchy is a massive wealth extracting nonce club, and it's a massive wealth extracting nonce club because it's the monarchy, its structure makes it that thing, the two are inseperable.

Whether it's your intent or not, if you take an image of an idealized concept of what you wish a thing was, and then put it on a screen for millions to see, you're making propaganda. You can't make that and then go "oh well but I expected everyone to realise this was literally the opposite of reality"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some couples already are.

Though a GP4 with the hose connected to your parner's arse might not have the desired effect on transmittability.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guess we'll know who to blame next month then.

Also I guess watch out for matt hancock glowing yellow and gaining a load of hitpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Last year I nailed some bits of wood together and stapled some netting from boyes across it and it's probably the most productive use of a couple of hours in my life ever. I've had barely any wildlife incursions and have also barely closed my window for the past couple of months. Partly because I have to un-wedge the net frame to get at the handles.

If you're more patient and have an actually square window (and if it's your house which I think yours is?) you could probably do a lot better and use a proper mozzie net as mine's a bit wonky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am also crap at DIY which is why they're held together with four brackets and about six screws, half the staples wouldn't go all the way in, and the thing won't stay straight, but fortunately the window frame isn't square either so it still wedges in alright.

If I could be arsed I'd remake it with proper joints and better wood but even the mess it is is still night and day. God only knows why they aren't more common in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they the big buggers with the weird dangly proboscis? I admit I've never been quite clear how big they are. I always thought mosquitoes were like, midgie sized.

I definitely don't remember them past a couple of years ago either. Guess it's the weather. We're wet enough but maybe not hot enough normally.