Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently the shopkeeper who called the police to Floyd because of the dodgy cheque was Palestinian. (https://www.almjhar.com/ar-sy/NewsView/51001/181673.aspx - it's in Arabic and my arabic isn't good enough to translate so going on what Arab friends are saying on FB).

The shopkeeper's photo is being shared on social media by anti-Palestinian Arabs (of whom there are many - eg Egyptians who think Sadat offered some amazing deal to the Palestinians in 1956 or whenever* and they should have taken it and therefore deserve everything that happens to them now some 54 years later - average age of a Palestinian is about 17 years old).

Pretty sure that no matter what the shopkeeper's background he wasn't expecting the police to commit murder on the guy.

*haven't checked - this from memory

Ed: just realized there's an English YT vid interview with the shopkeeper in that link I posted - shall have a listen.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Wanna bet the person whose fire they returned was a cop hiding amongst the protestors?

He should have been.

At this point anyone who is calling the police on a black man in america is at the very best, shamefully, pitifully ignorant of the consequences of calling the police on a black man in america, and regardless, is arguably complicit in the consequences.

Interview with the shop owner (in English - it was in the arabic link I posted and I didn't realize). It seems it was a member of his staff that called the cops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJ7fxg3n0g

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Relative to a lot of the world we are. Unfortunately.

Sad but true :(

Also, we are actually quite privileged to be able to criticize our (and other) governments as much as we do without 'disappearing' or having electrodes stuck up our asses.

On the US / police thing:

Some of the stuff being reported in the twitter Doucette thread is similar to things that happened during the Egyptian revolution - snipers deliberately taking out protestor's eyes for example, and there was an incident where a van deliberately ploughed into demonstrators on Qasr Al Aini which was on loop on BBC World for ages.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Seems Trump is planning to send the military in against protestors. The tweets are a bit confusing so not sharing a link, but quite a lot on twitter. I didn't listen to the Trump Rose Garden speak so maybe it's in that.

Hope they do what the Egyptian tank drivers did in the revolution - when surrounding Tahrir Square they were ordered by the top brass to fire on the protestors (approx half a million in Tahrir Sq) and they refused (apparently the conscripts in the tanks phoned their fathers from their tanks for advice and their fathers said 'you do not fire on your own countrymen'.)

(I have to say that I don't think this would happen now, they'd probably fire in fear of reprisals if they didn't).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Now I'm thinking Trump might try and take out the internet. Given the proportion (high but I don't know what) of websites hosted on US-based servers that will cause global chaos.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think if he tried that he might actually get couped, the money really would not like that.

Besides the army has plenty of jammers that can knock out wireless communications across a city if it needs to.

When they stopped the internet in Egypt, the stock market and a few other bits still had internet because they're not on the same links as we plebs.
We were out for almost a week and no mobile phones/texts (except local call only landlines for once the landlines didn't break - but most people didn't have those). As you can imagine everything was rumour and the fear levels were palpable.
On the tv, state tv showed an empty Tahrir but Al Jaz showed a full up Tahrir sq at the same time. One of the other Middle Eastern tv broadcasters had a split screen showing images from the different channels - compare and contrast.

I'm feeling a bit sick getting flashbacks. Got a few friends in the US who were in Egypt during the revolution who are too.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The comments under that!

Hodge not happy with the government she played a major part in getting elected:

https://twitter.com/margarethodge/status/1267459620399984641?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've been mostly based at home on my own for over 10 years now and enjoy my own company anyway (my dad used to call me 'the hermit' - there were 4 kids in my family and I was one of those teens who spent most of my time in my bedroom with my record player), but there is definitely an underlying stress there, just from not being able to go and mooch round the non-essential shops a couple of times a week and some of my clothes - I don't have many - are quite literally beginning to fall apart and I need to get some new stuff (I don't order clothes online because of the pain in the rear end of returning things which rarely look like they do on the images and rarely fit properly).

Also, my leg and lower back are in desperate need of deep tissue massage which I normally get monthly and I need a handyperson to come and drill holes and stuff in my walls. So far, my attempts at DIY have failed (putting pictures up which resulted in the 3M strip roulette and ruining the walls), fixing the shower pole (lasts 24 hours then kaput), fixing the toilet roll holder that came off - again, lasted 24 hours before coming off again) so that's a bit depressing.

I think the most important thing is try and build a routine - nothing over demanding: personal care (diet, exercise, hygiene), home environment (washing up, cleaning), mental health (read a book - something lightweight, connect with friend or family or even a stranger, take a break from news)

Some things I do:

Shower daily (always have done or if no shower available, strip wash) (I realized an ex who was a nurse was in a very bad way mentally when he went from showering twice a day to not having a wash for a week. Getting him to shower daily again was a big step in getting him back on the road to recovery).

Try to have a couple of days a week *completely* off-line, consecutive if possible so for me normally a weekend when I'm unlikely to have to do financial transactions or get work emails, which if you play it right can give 60 hours of peace. My main phone is a Nokia 101 and does just calls, texts and 'snake'. No internet, no apps, no whatsapp etc. I tell my sister that if she needs to contact me she'll have to phone or text not whatsapp or messenger etc. After 2 consecutive days off I rejoin the connected world with some reluctance (though I have to for family, finances, possible work reasons!) (My sister & mother find it very odd that while in self-isolation, I isolate further. She's an extrovert, I'm not. She doesn't have any concept of 'personal space'. One of my brothers fully understands. At a party for a parent's 70th some years ago I skulked off to the garden shed to get some respite from the unrelenting press of people making small talk and discovered my brother skulking in there too LOL)

I don't watch tv news (except there was one week about a month ago when I got into a habit of watching Sky news first thing on getting up which I stopped) - it's just the same stuff on constant repeat and omits crucial information. Like someone else said, I really appreciate this thread as a news filter and 'expander'. I'm spending way too much time on twitter though it does provide an outlet for some frustrations (I don't give my twitter handle to friends not because I'm ashamed of my views but I can clear a pub in 5 mins when I get on a hobby horse.)

Pick a book I want to read and read just 20 pages a day (I've got through two 600 pagers in two months that way).

Go for a walk most days (maintaining social distance etc)

Have a daily basic chores list to do daily (make bed, clean toilet, wash up, laundry)

Have a long phone or zoom or messenger call with a friend once or twice a week. I've actually been surprised that some of the people I've had long conversations with have been people I rarely speak to - eg someone I worked with about 15 years ago, we were not even in the same building and rarely had much contact then, but we had over an hour's messenger chat a couple of weeks ago! The only other time we had a long chat was the night before Mubarak got booted out so 9 years ago now!

Mute or unfollow FB friends (or even 'unfriend' though as I had a major cull a couple of years ago, I don't do that often these days). I know some have done the same to me because I have some friends who only want to see 'happy' posts or 'the govt needs our support in this trying time' views - I do make an effort to sprinkle happy posts in, but also do 'news' posts because I know I have a fair proportion of friends and family who just believe the BBC and either The Times or The Graun and who think they are honourable and trustworthy. Most of the time I avoid making overt political posts because you end up preaching to the converted and p'ing everyone else off.

Set 2 or 3 super mini-goals to achieve over a week or a month and most days try to work towards them: clean a cupboard, wash my windows, walk up stairs 3x a day, eat right for a week, read a particular book learn the top 100 words in a language, read that magazine from my professional organisation that turns up every month (a few pages a day) - I have a stash of them unread so trying to (a) keep up with incoming (b) clear one backlog per month.

Oh and I almost forgot, I'm doing a course (maths) that started in February and doesn't finish til August, so plugging away at that too.

Don't know if any of those ideas might help anyone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

It seems to be one of the ideas that had even a little merit. Some people really need other people to feel alive. Others end up utterly worn out after social contact and want nothing more than to be alone with a book. And anecdotally there seems to be little middle ground.

I definitely think it's an idea with merit!

Eg years ago, a very good friend's fiance ran out on her stealing £5k in the process. It was just a couple of days before her birthday. She was majorly upset obviously. So I organized a little meal out - just 3 or 4 of us (because that's what I would have preferred). Some time later she said 'Why didn't you organize a big bash in the pub to cheer me up?'. Similarly, when I was having a bad time near a birthday, she said 'let's just go to the pub and have a drink' and she had fixed about 40 people to be there (because that's what she would want)! I hated it. I just wanted to retreat into a corner with 2 or 3 friends to be miserable in peace! I'm like a wild animal that just wants to retreat into a cave until I'm recovered.

My sister is constantly trying to get people together (not in a romantic way) because to her, the height of misery is to be on your own. She said to me her and her husband have agreed that when one dies, the other is to get on with finding another partner because they want the other one to 'be happy and not on their own'. Yikes! It takes me years to get over someone regardless of who broke it up! (I'm a firm believer in 'get totally over the old before on with the new' unlike some people I know who are 'finding the new' (aka cheating) while still hanging on to the old incase it doesn't work out with the new.)

I find big social events absolutely draining. I don't know what to say to people, there's only so much "and how do you know the bride" or "did you take the A45 or the B52 to get here" or "what do you do for a living" I can take! Extrovert friends on the other hand positively thrive at big social events and find flitting from group to group and having inane conversations gives them energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eTq8ErUOQ

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hope those lines are 2m sideways or can the virus not move sideways?

https://twitter.com/JeffSmithetc/status/1267747799984222208?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

communism bitch posted:

who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.

Хлеб и воля

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

glad I'm not the only one with moron bosses and coworkers who are trying to kill me

e: is there anything actually stopping parliament doing away with 90% of its members and then ending elections?

and don't say convention

Isaac Asimov wrote a short story called Franchise:

quote:

Plot summary
In the future, the United States has converted to an "electronic democracy" where the computer Multivac selects a single person to answer a number of questions. Multivac will then use the answers and other data to determine what the results of an election would be, avoiding the need for an actual election to be held.

The story centers around Norman Muller of Bloomington, Indiana, the man chosen as "Voter of the Year" in the 2008 U.S. presidential election. Although the law requires him to accept the dubious honour, he is not sure that he wants the responsibility of representing the entire electorate, worrying that the result will be unfavorable and he will be blamed.

However, after "voting", he is very proud that the citizens of the United States had, through him, "exercised once again their free, untrammeled franchise" – a statement that is somewhat ironic as the citizens did not actually get to vote; even he himself did not vote for any candidate, law, or issue.

The idea of a computer predicting whom the electorate would vote for instead of actually holding an election was probably inspired by the UNIVAC I's correct prediction of the result of the U.S. presidential election in 1952.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

I did russian at school it was good, and the alphabet is similar enough to Latin/Greek that i found it no problem

I also did german which is obviously very easy vocab wise (and imo the vocab is usually going to be enough in practice, who cares if you conjugate your verbs right or forget what gender beer is)

did Arabic for a module in first year and the alphabet (or abugida or whatever it is e: abjad, according to Wikipedia) wasn't too bad, apart from the lack of vowels, vocab was mostly alien but I think I coped Ik, but I absolutely could not get my head around the right-to-left thing. also can't remember any grammar so clearly that didn't sink in at all

doing Japanese on Duolingo atm and the vocab is again very unfamiliar, and the orthography is like a cruel practical joke, but from reading around I think the grammar is probably surprisingly straightforward which should hopefully help if I ever get far enough to actually get into it

Funnily enough I found Arabic easier than Welsh! I've no problem with Arabic writing (as long as it's 'printed' not handwritten or calligraphy which I can have a hard time making out) and I like the grammatical structure which allows me to guess at some words. I think this is because my background with maths, music, physics lends me towards the symbolic. However, as you say, lack of the short vowels means if it is a word I don't know then I have no idea how to pronounce it.

The problem I find with Welsh is that the letters - vowels - have different sounds to the English so I have to get my head round assigning a different sound to the same symbol. But because I live in Wales and road signs etc are in both, and because I haven't really heard spoken Welsh (noone speaks it round here), I pronounce the Welsh words in my head with English sounds, so I have to shake all that out of my brain at some point. I can now recognize 'the imperative' - if a word ends with -wch it generally means you're being given an order!

I did start using Duolingo to try to brush up my various languages. I have French, German, Norwegian to approx GCSE standard with the advantage of having lived in Germany in my youth for a while, and I did French for 7 years because Welsh primary schools in the 60s had compulsory French - not Welsh! And I found that if I set Duolingo to treat Arabic as my native language, then I could find a passable English/Arabic top up. I've also tried using mnemosyne. I did find though that just a pile of random nouns and weird sentences (Duolingo has some extremely odd sentences) wasn't very helpful. I'm one of the saddos that enjoys grammar.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Kathrina_Mia/status/1267561198360371205?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Trying to think of an example that catches me out. Любит is like but some times it's люблю and hosed if I can work out which should be used when.

I'm not an expert by any means* but I think люблю is "I love/like" while Любит is "to love/like" (infinitive).
I may be entirely wrong.

*I demanded my parents get me the book to go with the BBC Russian course when I was about 7 - approx the time I started reading about the revolution etc. Mother took me to see Dr Zhivago when I was 13 to put me off commies - erm - it didn't work.

Ed: page snipe 8

The 8-fold way, the 8th colour (octarine), chinese number of good luck

Song by Billy Eilish that I have never listened to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZYd9JxithE

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

- not sure if this is something you might be interested in? (is there an easier way of tagging someone without doing an empty quote?)

Anyone interested in Housing:

Digital Housing Week - 22-26 June.

https://gateway.on24.com/wcc/gateway/eliteOceanMediaGroup/2341832

quote:

What question would you most like to ask England’s housing minister Chris Pincher? How about the chief executive of the Regulator of Social Housing, Fiona MacGregor or the chief land and development officer at Homes England, Stephen Kinsella?

All three are among an array of exciting speakers confirmed for Digital Housing Week, which runs from Monday 22 to Friday 26 June.

You submit your questions for them on Twitter at #digitalhousingweek and help drive the conversations on the day.

Seem to be a good array of different topics and representatives.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'll be the first person ever banned from Twitter for a meltdown over the Parker-Morris standards.

In a good way or a bad way? I just checked those out and my flat fails 1961 and 1967 versions. (Flat is 26sqm which is below minimum in both sets).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well I had to go and check why Lee Rigby is trending on twitter. Don't recommend if you have blood pressure problems (unless it needs a boost).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Huh, that's pretty close to the Hebrew word for egg - Bay-tzah. I wonder what the common root is there.

It's bayd in Arabic.

Etymology for the word 'egg':

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They both have a dual meaning as slang for testicles though. That's also common with Spanish and a bunch of other languages with unrelated eggwords, so maybe English is the weird one for not having eggs be common slang.

I think Arabic too if the Arabian Nights (the adult version not the kiddy version) is anything to go by!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I want to nail them to the door of every planning department in the country like a council house Martin Luther.

GLA (and some other authorities) now have (non-binding) standards that at first glance look like an improvement on Parker-Morris, but it's not just the outright area that most modern housing fails on (bearing in mind that these were supposed to be *minimums*), it's stuff like window sizes, sound insulation, in-built storage, division between kitchen and living room (a lot of developers combine them to make the living room seem bigger but of course it just means all your furniture ends up stinking of cooking, and also that you have no fire break between the kitchen and the rest of the dwelling), bathroom ventilation, and a thousand other little touches that vastly improve the quality of the living space.

While we're at it I'd also make appearance covenants punishable by death. Many poor-door units have specific clauses in their leases/tenancies forbidding the use of outdoor space for anything other than a very narrowly-defined set of uses, normally excluding any form of storage or clothes drying. That's right, you can be thrown out of your home for wanting to air out a towel rather than pissing away money (and carbon emissions) on using a tumble dryer, because they're terrified of the balconies not matching the architects drawings and maybe even forcing a member of the upper classes to gaze upon the underwear of the underclass.

When I lived in Germany in the 70s, you weren't allowed to hang washing outside on a Sunday or use a lawnmower. There were various other things you were verboten to do on Sundays but I was only a teenager so can't remember them as mostly they didn't affect me as a kid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I like this Doucette guy.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1267872430355361802?s=20

Meanwhile, in unrelated news:

https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/1267870859211005953?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

E: I'd love to see more non-cop whodunnits though - and not just the Miss Marple type ones, but like, more imaginative settings. Gimme a whodunnit set in like, ancient Rome, or prehistoric Africa, or on a pirate ship, or... etc.

Here are a few.

Cadfael

Name of the Rose

Agatha Christie wrote a whodunnit set in Ancient Egypt "Death comes as the end".

Edward Marston's done a few series, not very demanding, but enjoyable. There's his Elizabethan Theatre (sometimes called the Nicholas Bracewell series) based on an Elizabethan acting troupe operating out of London (though they do go walkies sometimes) - you can pick it up anywhere, he repeats the salient points so you don't miss anything really by not reading in order, also his Railway Detective series. There are another couple of series he's done which I haven't tried.

Peter Tremayne Sister Fidelma series (1st century nun) - haven't read these but have read one of his non-fiction books about Celtic Women (as author Peter Berresford Ellis).

Bernard Knight - Crowner's Quest series (medieval coroner - Crowner)

Detective shows with someone coming out chat:

I think the Dalziel & Pascoe episode where Wieldy 'comes out' is not it's finest hour. It was repeated last week and I couldn't bear to watch it. (It was made in 1998 though).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

If anyone wants a daft little series to watch, try Ikea Heights. 7 episodes, all around 4-5 mins long. It was filmed in an Ikea store (without permission).

Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9gkYw35Vws

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm drowning in bloody mosquitoes. And those midges are swarming (idiot me forgot to shut living room window before sundown). At least they're not in the bedroom this time.
Thank goodness for the insect repellent. Where do they think I am, on holiday abroad?

(There's a river runs about 20m from my windows).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Last year I nailed some bits of wood together and stapled some netting from boyes across it and it's probably the most productive use of a couple of hours in my life ever. I've had barely any wildlife incursions and have also barely closed my window for the past couple of months.

I'm thinking of getting some of those things made (I'm crap at DIY as indicated previously). I had them in Egypt and they worked a treat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I am also crap at DIY which is why they're held together with four brackets and about six screws, half the staples wouldn't go all the way in, and the thing won't stay straight, but fortunately the window frame isn't square either so it still wedges in alright.

If I could be arsed I'd remake it with proper joints and better wood but even the mess it is is still night and day. God only knows why they aren't more common in the UK.

I don't remember insects (except midges in swarms on walks along the river) ever being this bad years ago. I never saw a mosquito anywhere I lived in the UK until I think it was 2012!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Are they the big buggers with the weird dangly proboscis? I admit I've never been quite clear how big they are. I always thought mosquitoes were like, midgie sized.

I definitely don't remember them past a couple of years ago either. Guess it's the weather. We're wet enough but maybe not hot enough normally.

These are big buggers with a proboscis I'd say they're 3-4 x bigger than the midges.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've got to go shopping tomorrow so I'll pop in the hardware store and see if they've got one of those yellow repellent hangy up things.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/CandiceBenbow/status/1267813026641608704?s=20

(a) she was out when curfew was called and didn't know about it
(b) periods don't work like that.

This is the person concerned - she's done quite a lot of tweets on the experience:

https://twitter.com/bekah_topaz

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

There are less insects. It's all part of the massive ecosystem collapse that humans are responsible for. One German study found a 75% collapse in 26 years.

I can believe it on a gross scale. Right now it feels like they're all in my flat. I've left the window open so hopefully most of them will fly out when dawn comes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Prince John posted:

I had just finished reading this spectator article about how white, privileged, antifa are taking over the BLM protestors.

I was scoffing at it and then immediately stumbled across this video:

https://twitter.com/s_Allahverdi/status/1267240521052946432

In which a white person with a hammer is smashing up the pavement to pick up chunks to throw at the police, and the predominantly black protestors then promptly take him ("it's the white people!", "get the white people!") and then hand him over to the police.

Which makes me wonder is this actually a thing? Is there some supplanting of black voices in favour of peaceful protest going on in the US, or was it just a massive coincidence that I appeared to randomly land on a confirmatory tweet?

Doucette posted a video of a white woman painting slogans while laughing and joking with the police. I'm sure there is some 'false flag' work going on too. I mean how do you prove someone is 'antifa' or an interloper? Bit like on twitter - how do you know if people are who they say they are or an agitator?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Just make sure you leave the craneflies alone, they're harmless.

None of those in the audience tonight. I'm not planning on killing the creatures, just repelling them. Need some pipistrelle bats. Apparently they can eat 3000 midges in one night.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's difficult as a white person to know what the right thing to do is to express support.

For example, I'm seeing on twitter PoC people saying "if you're white don't contact your black friends to ask how they are because you don't really care and it's just performative" (well I do care about my PoC friends and if I ask, I'm genuine in asking - and ok, maybe I didn't contact them for a while but I have quite a few friends I only contact now and then when something kicks off - eg friends in Aus during the fires earlier this year, same as friends are prompted to contact me when they hear of flooding in my area or at various other times in my life eg Kings Cross fire when I was working in the NHS in central London or during the revolution in Egypt),

Also some are taking offence at police officers 'taking the knee' or asking to walk with them. I know some police officers are quitting because of what's happening, but in a place like the US when quitting your job means you lose all health care insurance for you and your family, where unemployment is high, it's quite a big ask.

How can a white person best express support without seeming to be performative or patronising? What do thread persons think?

(I remember an incident from school where some white kids were calling one of the black kids various bad names n*, w* etc, so the white teacher told them off, and the black kid stood up and said 'who do you think you are sir, the great white saviour of the black races'. I also remember we had a black student teacher for cookery and most of the class refused to do her lessons and wouldn't bring any ingredients or anything. I was one of the few who did.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, in outer space:

Shame it links to a torygraph article (which is from August 2019 but I didn't hear about this case before).

https://twitter.com/tilbots/status/1267972711533420544?s=20

Stunningly poo poo comment under the article itself:

quote:

Three absurdities here.

1. That two women can get married.

2. That one has the first name of Summer. Should first names not reflect the sex of the person. Imagine expecting a man to come to turn up as a blind date, and a woman arrives.

3. Can a woman change her focus of sdexual attraction just like that? How was the child conceived?

And on that note, I'm off to bed. Just realized the white glow of my laptop screen is attracting the little buggers and that's why I'm swamped with them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, in 'gosh why didn't we think of that' news:

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/home/encourage-rough-sleepers-to-move-in-with-family-and-friends-government-tells-councils-66643

quote:

Encourage rough sleepers to move in with family and friends, government tells councils
NEWS
03/06/20
BY NATHANIEL BARKER
Rough sleepers given emergency accommodation during the coronavirus pandemic should be encouraged to move in with family and friends, the government has told councils.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

it's actually a good thing that they're not doing anything because that means the pandemic is over

Certainly seems to be over round here! Just myself and 2 others in the street wearing masks. Non-essential shops reopening (and I thought Wales weren't reopening non-essential yet), lots of people out and about.
I didn't go out the last 2 days to avoid 'the rush' and it's raining today not sunny like the last couple of days so god knows what they were like Mon & Tue.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

Just cooked up the first batch of Apple Pie fudge. It’s amazing and now my house smells absolutely wonderful.

Just thought you guys would want to know :)

Sounds yummy :)

Tonight 9pm:

https://twitter.com/MyArrse/status/1268230622012747777?s=20

I'd watch, but other Dispatches programmes have been problematic so much I love to see any takedown of Spaffer & Cummings, I'll wait to see the various verdicts to decide whether to watch on Catch Up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

You know of all the countries, I never would have guessed Sweden would be the one to go full blast for the insane herd immunity strategy

Sweden gets a lot of good press - not necessarily deserved. It's one of the biggest (3rd biggest?) arms dealers in the world for a start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

zhar posted:

It seems to get referenced a lot as one of the most progressive countries by some people and an SJW state by others. Is the government a bunch of lib dems or something?

For sure it has a lot of very good points. But it isn't the pure shining example to us all some seem to try to portray.