Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I was fine with the more strict lock down where I knew I just had to stay in the house and there was no choice. Though agreed on the complete disintegration of my ability to read - I typically get through 20-30 books a year but can't even finish the 210 page novel I started when lockdown began.

I'm finding the current stage, where I'm technically allowed out but there's nowhere to go and it's not really feasible to see people and my office is still closed, much more mentally draining. I've got this severe angst that I should be doing something but have no idea what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There is zero chance of a second lockdown I think. For better or worse this is going to be allowed to blow now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A two metre distance would allow maybe 8 people at most to sit in my local. There's no way it would be worth the pub even paying staff to be there.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Shield is just a fun TV show, The Wire is a genuine masterpiece. Though i really wish David Simon didn't have a Twitter account (something that holds true for a lot of creators I used to greatly respect).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Justified has got to be the worst offender among "bad" police TV shows. Raylan Givens is unspeakably terrible at his job and just arbitrarily executes anyone he didn't work down a coal mine with all the time.

It's so good though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I mean yes but at least everyone is constantly pointing out what a fuckup Raylan is. He's a staggeringly unsympathetic protagonist really. A lot of it is that I sometimes wonder if Raylan Givens thinks he's Sheriff Bullock from Deadwood rather than a 21st century lawman in a decidedly less

And yes, sure, most of the people he kills are technically in self-defence but he's usually setting it up so he needs to make a kill in self-defence. He's a loving lunatic but also the show is exceedingly fun. And yes, an awful lot of that is on Goggins, one of the finest character actors of his generation. But Raylan Givens being a dumbass murder machine helps.

Raylan will be called into Art's office for a convivial glass of Kentucky bourbon and a stern talking to about why he's killed fifteen of the last seventeen people he was sent to arrest.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

MAAAADDDDIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :suicide:

it was some peurto rican portugese german guy again

Buy your favourite newspapers to find out more!!

I'm not actually going to click on any articles to find out, but I am mildly curious as to why it's taken 13 years to hone in on a prolific German sex criminal burglar who known to be in the area in his camper van at the time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm not caught up on the thread so I'm sure the terrible takes on Colston have been done to death, but just lmao at making your great and noble Twitter stand on this

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1269716743586484226

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This article from Monbiot on the implications of a US trade deal is just savagely depressing, in case you were wondering what the government's actual priorities are while we're distracted by all the other bullshit.

Recommend reading the whole thing, but:

quote:

I suspect this has been the agenda all along. The neoliberal extremists who populate the front benches have long sought to rip down our public protections, rip down our public services, rip down everything that stands in the way of the most vicious form of capitalism. A trade deal with the US allows them to do so while disclaiming responsibility for the consequences. Once they have signed it, they can claim that, sadly, their hands are tied. They could say that unfortunately, the rules don’t allow us to maintain food standards and force us to open the NHS to competition. Perhaps mistakes were made during the negotiations but it’s a done deal now, enforced by legal instruments, and there’s nothing we can do. They know they could never obtain public consent for these policies. A US trade deal would impose them without consent.

Even parliamentary consent is unnecessary. The trade bill, which has now reached the committee stage in the House of Commons, makes no provision for parliamentary scrutiny of any deal. Parliament has no legal right under this bill to debate or vote on a trade deal, or even to know what it contains. The bill also grants the government Henry VIII powers to change the law on trade agreements without parliamentary approval. The governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are granted no formal role in negotiating or approving trade treaties. In other words, nothing is being left to chance. This is not democracy. This is elective dictatorship.

To make matters worse, the US is likely to insist that the deal is enforced by an offshore tribunal, which allows corporations to sue governments if domestic law affects their “future anticipated profits”. This mechanism has been used all over the world to punish nations for laws their parliaments have passed. It ensures that, over time, legislation everywhere has to be tailored to the demands of corporate power. Far from taking back control, a trade deal on these lines with the US involves a massive renunciation of sovereign power.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1271763736022450176

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apologies for posting random Twitter fash, but just lol

https://twitter.com/wjcj2010/status/1271776275548581890

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Telegraph's effort is particularly strong

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EdClowes/status/1271808661183180800

You'd hope the nodding and walking off might lead to a moment of self-reflection, but probably not.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Also Africa needs more nuclear plants, that's a real thing that could be done right now. A single plant the size of Koeberg NPS in Ghana would have more immediate positive transformative effect than any Western power infrastructure project.

Why would you build nuclear in Africa? The generation capacity and distribution networks are so poor across much of the continent that you can get much faster, cheaper and more radical results with renewables or fossil fuels than diving into a multi-billion nuclear plant that won't be online for a decade.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Because it's based on what the population density and energy needs are going to look like in a decade, rather than now. It's also based on building a synchronous grid for ECOWAS, not just bunging a random BWR outside of Kpetoe and calling it a day.

There's nothing stopping you from using renewables as a stop gap, but the energy needs of the Gulf of Guinea in the next couple of decades or so are predicted to become a real tipping point issue.

I think you are wildly overestimating the extent of generation capacity and distribution that already exists. Getting supply up as quickly as possible to come anywhere close to meeting the current demand would be massively more transformative than worrying about potential demand in two decades. The idea of it being a tipping point in two decades doesn't make much sense in the context of it being a need that is being massively under-served right now already.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
just in case you'd forgotten that the government are comically evil

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1272547133988757505

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Don't see the issue. Boris already forced the EU into backing down and putting a border in the Irish sea exactly like he always said he would, so he'll be securing that Best Deal he promised any time now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

In the absence of any reasonable chance of a Left government, he's started being right a lot of the time.
https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1272542347352571910

Honestly it's such a weird thing for the government to be set against.

We're spending hundreds of billions on furlough and other corona schemes, why not just say gently caress it and add another £100m on so you don't have to take a public stand against feeding kids? After a campaign with massive public support led by a young black guy, at a time when you'd think they'd want a positive race relations story?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

e: also the HR person said on the last office zoom call that if they drop the distancing requirement to 1 m they can get people back into the office instead of working from home lol

why wait for that specific piece of advice to change when you're going to ignore the other one about working from home if possible and you ignored the 2 m advice for like three months at the beginning of the pandemic "because it's just us in here and if one of us had it then we'd all have got it" :suicide:

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are desperate to get back to the office. Either because they're in shared flats with no working space, or have small kids around (fair), or they miss the social dynamic and think they can't do their job properly without being face to face (twats).

HR are likely being harassed to reopen by these people all the time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1272838940953915393

The FO have been desperate for this for decades. It has one very clear meaning: we will be completely ditching humanitarian and development funding, UK overseas aid is now 100% a trade relations and influence tool.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So they've managed to do the right thing, except still made themselves look grasping and contemptuous of the poor first. The Tory MPs who had to defend the initial decision publicly must be loving furious.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not that unbelievable really, I only heard of it from the letter that he published yesterday.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry but he has to be parody

https://twitter.com/ConHome/status/1273163804898217985

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-rebecca-long-bailey_uk_5ef50f91c5b6acab283efcb2

quote:

The online reaction that most impressed many Labour MPs today was not of Left Twitter, but of Tory MP Robert Halfon. He tweeted Starmer was “showing that he is a force to be reckoned with and that no Conservatives can afford to be complacent about his leadership or our strong parliamentary majority”. Halfon then tweeted that his Labour opponent at the last election had backed Momentum’s criticism of Starmer.

Glad we're already at the point where the most important thing for the Labour party to do is impress Tory MPs. This is what winning feels like.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

not to be confused with the Waaah Zone, a detailed analysis on the politics of the day by video game mascot Waluigi

I would definitely read the Waaagh! Zone, a detailed analysis of the politics of today by Tuska da Daemon-Killa, ork warboss.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

Old 40k was very subtle

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

They added value, it's educational now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Didn't this happen a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be from some Cold War hangover Russian nuclear waste lab that is the only place in the world that can still make some substance that was needed for space missions?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That weird aimless, hollow feeling that comes with having to do war crimes in a private capacity

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

This map contains multiple regions that said mayonnaise and a massive swathe of Scotland that thinks cheese is a sauce. Not sure London is the biggest concern.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

For those seeking good chips in London, pop into Ken's on Half Moon Lane if you're ever within shouting distance of Herne Hill. Consistently excellent. Only takes cash though

I went there a couple of weeks ago, by far the best fish & chips I've ever had in London.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

thrashingteeth posted:

I guess this is to appeal to the "I'm calling the manager" type liberals who think they're progressive/left. The true backbone of this great country.

The centrist press are wanking themselves silly over Starmer. He's all of their civility and winning by proving how much cleverer you are dreams come true.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The twitter account about the brexiteer couple and their son has been deleted.

That whole thing kind of surprised me by making it clear how incredibly internet illiterate even most people who use Twitter all day are.

Any true poster could spot that as incredibly obvious bollocks within the first couple of tweets.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1278680754864689152

Randy Andy must be getting a bit sweaty

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Let's be real, Keir will be voting for air strikes somewhere at the first chance he's given.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Who's causing the biggest international headache for the Tories at present?

Are we going to bomb Hong Kong?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think that's being pretty misreported. The rules allowing pubs to open come into force at 6am, but they'd still have to open in line with their licensing terms i.e. 11am for the vast majority.

If you can be in an airport or around Smithfield Market at 6am then fill your boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm assuming everyone involved - landlords, customers and government - all know the restrictions are a complete fiction that will have been entirely forgotten within an hour of opening.