Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mehall posted:

Can this weather gently caress off please?

I don't live in Scotland - on a hill - to be sweating sitting in my house.

gonna be a bad one this year. may was already the hottest on record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can make a case that there is a positive (...) nationalism

recoiling like a vampire irl

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

If you want proof of structural racism in the UK, it's that half a dozen African lads can't even have a lighthearted chat about killing the Pope, whereas Sammy Wilson gets to be an MP.

lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you can elect to not click the links. it's easy, even. i just think to myself "do i want to see a butthole inside out" and since the answer comes back "no", i do not see it. i cannot see it, i do not want to see it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have cultivated the best imaginable rap sheet and i wouldn't change a note. of particular note is when i told a nazi to gently caress off and ate a sixer for it - both the poster i was referencing and the mod in question later got banned for being nazis lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

lol we're already twitter mutuals

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
crispx was occasionally on discord, he's a good dude.

i was given this account and plat from a friend. i have had on and off periods with SA over the years - think i checked out just before LF went super super maoist third worldist intense irony mode. i can credibly say i've never paid for SA (although i confess i bought a friend a rereg once jbreton was cool)

i came to this thread from the bitcoin thread around 2013, i want to say, because the SNP were talking about using a digital cryptocurrency and lol. i came here to argue about nationalism and like a vile curse i remained. i treasured the opportunity to argue about something i am passionate about, and i adored it. it's strange, i kind of miss it? as i have said before, arguing with nationalists isn't just a moral obligation, it's both easy and fun. nations are ridiculous foundationally, the innate absurdity makes for some genuinely enjoyable scraps. i'll miss getting back on my bullshit.

it's kind of hard to separate the elements of my radicalization from my real life experience from shitposting in this thread. i suppose this thread gave me certain elements of my rhetoric - gave me the language and ideas to articulate our hellish reality. that was really important to me, and i am grateful for you all.

the signs were there with lowtax but we chose to ignore them. that sucks, and we all kind of suck for it, but there's nothing to be done about it but direct action. the only credit i give is that once the light was finally shined on his behaviour we almost all made the right call to condemn that poo poo.

shoutouts to the mystery redtext person. shoutouts to ronya, even though they annoy the poo poo out of me. shoutouts to the member of parliament for the starwars expanded universe, guto bebb, shoutouts to the dude named guto, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was having a go it's a cool name. shoutouts to coohoolie, it was always fun to argue with you and we both learned stuff, i hope. shoutouts to both the UKMT DnD games i'm in, love you nerds. shoutouts to cerv, a genuinely cool person and a different and valuable perspective. shoutouts to the ukmt trans crew, coolest posters in this thread. shoutouts to jose for not sending me pictures of a butthole inside out, we should play dnd when i move to newcastle. shoutouts to our long suffering and hard working guavanaut for herding our cats. too many people to mention - i have enjoyed so many of your posts.

i have described this as the worst thread, and it is. it's the best worst thread on the forums. i would miss this place terribly. if this is the end, i suppose i will.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i loving forgot twisto! you're a cool dude too, thanks for being there on election night. so many cool people, apologies if i missed you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

Yeah sorry I should have posted about it earlier but I've largely been ignoring the forums/angry posting about starmer today

Like I'm not saying people shouldn't post there but wanted to give a heads up

i'm treating it as a lifeboat for now. beats nothing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

that's more realistic than the pub one imo

hey! i only do that on fridays.

i'm still kind of in limbo not knowing the gently caress is going to happen in sept. i haven't moved or anything but my current role has me "wfh" until i leave and i don't want to go back to the old ways.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mrpwase posted:

Do you think people are going to follow those restrictions sufficiently?

I think that's the innate contradiction at the heart of a flawed pandemic strategy - I think some people will gladly and fragrantly take risks. I suspect they are a noisy minority. The real problem is when everything opens up and the majority of people stay home, and as such there's a fraction of the demand needed to keep businesses running. This is on top of social distancing obligations which will also radically impact footfall.

It's a contradiction because if say, one pub opened today, they would post record business as they're the only one open and can cater to people in the "virus is overrated" crowd. Once they all open then you really see the economic impact of a plague.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

peanut- posted:

Does it make me a hypocrite if I sneer at the bullshit meal tokens policy but I also eat free Nando's three times a week for all of August

half off nandos, not free. discount of up to £10/head at 50%.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Does it apply to takeouts if you pick them up personally? If so it would be nice to get discounted chippy on fridays.

monday to wednesday my dude. this is a really bad effort lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
shar't

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

In addition, after independence, Scottish politics will probably be emboldened.. it's anecdotal i know would work, mostly because it makes you an object of pity to be shown to the soundtrack of Margret Thatcher's horrid screaming CoolCab hosed around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 12, 2016

lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
It's cowboy terminology - it's literally as simple as them being morality coded by their hats. Hackers want to self aggrandise and clearly draw a line between the illegal activities they feel are justified, and those unjustified.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Up until, god I've heard it as late as the spaghetti western period, cowboys in movies who were good wore white cowboy hats and evil ones wore black ones. coding was never particularly subtle.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, specifically I've heard that Leon represented a kind of gritty realistic reaction for cowboy pictures, more of a 60s take on a 50s standard. I don't know how accurately it represents the genre at the time Fistfull came out tho

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Butternubs posted:

Lost my job because of the 'rona today, I know this is controversial to say but I don't think the Tories have handles this crisis very well...

i'm sorry bud :(

everything is hosed. i'm glad you're here though. it's a strange thing to say but it's sincere. good luck my dude.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also! loving, 33 years young (happy bday to me). going back to school in the middle of a pandemic. my current job going, gonna adopt to that student life. everything is weird and uncertain and i am scared a lot of the time, but i appreciate being able to express these anxieties in places like this one.

i remember the miliband days. we're there and worse, but hey. we got through that, we'll get through this. i appreciate you all.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Getting a degree is a pretty good way to spend a recession, and not just having to grind out a job to continue existing is a good opportunity to learn more than in your degree - I recomend getting fully involved with getting drunk with the older undergrads and PhD students at least.

for sure! my intent is to get this loving paper (ie a degree) and gently caress off to the arctic or something. i like this country - it has good mail and fibre internet - but i kinda want out.

love u nerds.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

big scary monsters posted:

I spent a few years living in the Arctic and I can recommend, life at high latitudes is both weird and awesome. I miss it and want to go back - when I lived there I couldn't get the kind of job I wanted, ironically since I've moved back below 66'33°N I've made the right contacts that I probably could now find good work in the far North. Maybe in a few years more.

god i miss it - i went to high school in the north (iqaluit, in inuksuk high school)

i always felt - like, everyone was constantly suffering from severe SAD due to no sun. i fit in so well in that environment - where everyone is a little bit mad i blended in. i wanna get my degree, spend like...5 or so years in the nunavut or the NWT shooting cans and growing pot. make some decent money, afford a house in somewhere more civilized. that's the dream.

we'll see! it will be fun to try, for sure.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Well they wouldn't, what with the armoured bears.

i will always remember - polar bears will always lead with their left paw as they are "left handed". if you can dodge this you have a good two seconds to develop incredible superpowers before the bear devours you.

big scary monsters posted:

Oh yeah, I think you mentioned before - I was on the other side of the Atlantic. I met a bunch of Nunavut Inuit people at a music festival in Norway, and it was interesting the differences between life there and in the relatively mild Norwegian Arctic. Even though I lived a fair bit further north than Iqaluit, it seems a lot more remote and harsh there. This year I got to visit Ny-Ålesund, which is a very strange place indeed. I could see a move to Svalbard in my future, although it's not the kind of place many people stay long-term.

yeah, it's kind of wild - nunavut has more in common with, say, arctic greenland then it does ottowa. i lived in a far northern community (hall beach) for awhile before the isolation broke us. iqaluit, or similar, at least is a kind of hub - there's cell phone cover and fastish internet and jobs. it was the most "westernized" arctic town, at least in nunavut proper.

i wanna go there for a period and then leave. with observation, that seems to be the best way to handle it.

it was so weird - all the newfoundland people would set up a "newfie" room with an accordion and all that poo poo and pretend they were home round the bay, sit there and eat salt beef and listen to buddy whastisname just to stay sane. it's strange i miss it so much sometimes lol.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
incidentally while we're here, buddy whashisname and the other fellers is one of those things i could never explain to another person, and yet has incredible meaning to me. my Big Brother was buddy's nephew, and i actually went camping with them all once. they're genuine artists who chose to cater their art to our weird island, and it's totally impossible to describe why this song consistently makes me teary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h1euQv_L6c

i can't remember why but at some point someone asked them - is it worth performing as a clown? shouldn't you be trying to maximize your appeal and sell poo poo to everyone? isn't it "selling out"? i remember - he replied that if he was like the purest artists he'd sit at home and perfect their craft on the dole. to him, a comic persona allows him access to his preferred audience - newfoundlanders who otherwise would be alienated by mainstream music. he wanted to make music that appeals to a particular audience. he'd gladly play the fool to ensure his art reached his audience.

i think about that a lot.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my concerns about climate change are not a catastrophic extinction level event - hey maybe methane will be that but if that's coming we have absolutely no chance to do anything about it now. who cares.

my concern is that in 2011, in large part dude to a famine caused by poor crop yields following extreme high temperatures, syria descended into civil war. about half of the population needed critical humanitarian aid, about six million left the country. these refugees - fleeing a horrific environment with, in my opinion, with total moral justification for trying to resettle - mostly moved to neighbouring countries, but a small percentage joined with the usual migrant channels and wanted to go to western countries. many of these were doctors, nurses, professionals who spoke fluent english and who could easily contribute to any functional state - from the perspective that training people costs money a huge saving for us.

in response, these western countries created brexit, trump, put machine guns and gunboats on the EU border and embraced full blown fascism with popular support. vigilantes hunt latin americans on the US border with impunity. a bunch of EU countries elected out and out fascists or came close enough that they'll probably manage next time.

there is a valley in india/pakistan/kasmir that homes about a billion people (i can't remember the name of, apologies). they are already getting heatwaves of 40 degrees and more - a few more degrees warmer and in the summer we will exceed the wet bulb temperature for safe human habituation, and pretty much everyone will need to leave.

hysterical and racist panic over few million syrians got us to 2020. what will a billion people do. i do not think climate change will kill us all - i think climate change will make us kill ourselves, the remotely decent ones anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

feedmegin posted:

The entire population of India, the whole country, all of it, isn't that much more than a billion people.

the geographic region i am referring to (which i would swear to christ was called a valley but it's a massive "valley") is really really big and covers a bunch of countries. god i'm not having much luck googling it tho.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you mean South Asia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

This includes part of the ancient Indus Valley area, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

yeah that sounds right! whenever i googled it i just got the indus valley civilization.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, maybe I'm conflating the 300 million with the billion projected climate refugees. Still, 300 million loving people.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kicking him out is a front, calling it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Kicking Corbyn (and possibly McDonnell and Abbott) out is the only remotely thing to encourage the SCG to finally give up on the Labour Party and hopefully take a chunk of the union funding with them. So I sincerely hope they do it

basically exactly. they're doing something enormously unpopular with the membership so they're floating an even worse thing that they can "back down" from and seem centerist. prove me wrong starmer, prove me wrong.

Trin Tragula posted:

If we're going to take a financial view of this, what would the legal fees have been to take it to trial?

millions for defence but not one penny for tribute

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I don't know if this is a kind thing to say, but the Labour party has clearly signalled that it doesn't believe the left will abandon it next election, and I'm not sure they're wrong.

We have a model to observe people disengaging from politics, it does not lead to them engaging with it by every conceivable metric during the off season and performatively stopping when an election comes around. In fact, I would suggest this higher level of engagement will be seen as a win by their metrics - sure the membership is falling and polls are still in the toilet but look at the KPIs from this tweet, see how the press reacted to this policy, etc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ublock origin is also the best adblocker now so you got that going too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think i would wager that Sunak won't ever be PM. This always happens in the downseason, someone comes across as competent, the entire liberal commentariat collectively creams their jeans and bigs them up. David, Stewart, hell even Patel had this effect shined on them at various times recently.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I could see banana fudge working. Like, banana pie fudge would work great.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

Anyone live in Carlisle and can recommend somewhere good to get food? Helping my sister move here for work and we just arrived

thin white duke is OK, i think they're participating in the eat out bollox if that helps.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

It is and we're only a mile away so cheers.

yeah the parts of carlisle that aren't farm related are all super concentrated. it's one of the reasons i can get away without needing a licence.

there's a greggs across the street that's My Greggs and i've not been able to be back to it since march. miss it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lie outrageously and get the person who is writing your personal statement to lie even more so.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lockdown hit and I fell behind on all my podcasts. I used to have like, four on the go now I barely manage one. wdtatw is good poo poo tho.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Adequate posted:

It is to be even hotter tomorrow.

28 degrees in the rain lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Saros posted:

I must be getting old but is there some reason why every youtube video has to have the person in it pasted across the thumbnail with a really odd expression on their face. Was there some sort of clickbait study that showed people click more if you're on the cover making a weird expression.

less a study and more a bunch of trial and error. for whatever reason that goofy open mouthed shocked/surprised impression gets people to click the vid in related videos, apparently.