Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of the US's economy is reliant on the commercial internet though, so it's not just stuff like the stock market.

If anything leaving the stock market turned on and switching off the basis of all the companies trading on it might be even worse :v:

Like literally destroying the US tech market. Lot of big money tied up in that.

Not just the tech market. Walmart is doing an absolute ton of business at the moment with online ordering for pickup outside stores. The only way restaurants are staying afloat at the moment is through delivery apps like postmates and doordash. The majority of office workers at every big company (not just the tech giants, think insurance company call centers etc) are working remotely. Even the energy companies are working from home. There's no way Trump both fucks with that and survives.

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

zhar posted:

much appreciated, I'm sure it gets annoying having random people request medical advice but as you might imagine I was a little worried. My main question now is that if it does turn into anaphylaxis would someone wake up if they were asleep, or is it worth staying awake to see what happens?

111 my dude.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

In English law you cannot be in possession of something once you've consumed it

I thought the insane psychoactive substances bill changed this?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ronya posted:

Compared to these "hard" surveillance measures, the benefit of app contact tracing dubious: nobody has yet identified a good solution to the problem of bluetooth just an awful battery drain and not sufficient people both possessing smartphones and being obediently compliant. So apps were ineffective and the Apple-Google decentralised app model even more so

There's a couple of different issues here. The battery life issue is solved by using the Apple/Google method (their API allows background scanning Bluetooth hooks that aren't available to regular developers - battery drain is a consequence of the non Apple/Google methods having to permanently keep the phone in an 'awake' state for the app to function).

The other issue though is the Bluetooth signal is really impeded by things, so assuming that xdB of signal corresponds to y distance is fine if the phone is in your hand, but if it's in your pocket or handbag then xdB now corresponds to a different distance and there's no reasonable way to predict this.

One suggested solution was to give everyone a wristband with a Bluetooth beacon that syncs to your phone (picture a small Fitbit etc), but lol if anyone thinks that a) the government will buy 60 million and distribute them, and b) a critical mass of people will wear something new that's perceived as a government tracking device.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ronya posted:

one can voluntarily self-isolate, and if one isn't intending to do so, then why report it

I'm reasonably confident that these people wont self isolate if a call center drone calls them and tells them to either.

E: the Messerschmitt Bf 109 was a German WWII fighter plane that Spain continued to fly until the late 60s

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 18, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Weren't a lot of the page 3 models underage?

Some were 16/17, but it was legal so it's impossible to say whether it was good or bad.

just adding this edit to clarify it was a @dril reference and is clearly bad!

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 19, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

May I request that pissflaps be allowed to make one last post in UKMT and then be permabanned afterwards? Seems a fitting end to all of this.

Oh god, he's gonna come to bnr isn't he.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

baka kaba posted:

does the left genuinely not have the numbers to force one? I don't know what the calculus is now, but we'd need 20% of MPs to challenge, right?

If they don't they should just split the party at this point and take momentum with them. The Tories have such a huge majority that it's not like it even matters in a parliamentary sense anyway.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Guardian posted:

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug

Remdesivir, the first drug approved by licensing authorities in the US to treat Covid-19, is made by Gilead and has been shown to help people recover faster from the disease. The first 140,000 doses, supplied to drug trials around the world, have been used up. The Trump administration has now bought more than 500,000 doses, which is all of Gilead’s production for July and 90% of August and September.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

Healthcare patents: good and cool :sigh:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it wasn't actually any more effective than the steroid that the NHS trial found?

Different things. This is the antiviral that cuts the recovery time of non-icu infections.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Odd that she's sharing an article from Feb, has something changed recently?

E: also, 'goverment is withholding information, subscribe to find out what'...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was reading something a few days ago about some smug work from homers - one of them had a dawning realization when seeing a coworker who lived in a HMO and only had her bed in her tiny single room to work from that hey not everyone has a 'study' or 'shed-office' or 'guest room'.

As someone who works on a laptop from their bed, can confirm that living in a 3x3.5m room in a HMO is a lot less tolerable when you don't have an office to go to every day.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This was me til I was about 36 with all my worldly possessions in my bedroom. Now I keep my bedroom as sparse as possible: bed, wardrobe (that blends into the wall), side table with lamp, fan, book, and no pictures or ornaments at all.

And sitting on your bed working will lead to back/shoulder problems if you're not careful.

I dream for the day there are no screens in my bedroom.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Kin posted:

When it comes to the 4 day week thing does that also result in a 20% reduction in pay?

I'm all for the 4 day work week but if capitalism means the price of things didn't also drop by 20% then it just feels like we'll end up being worse off it a pay decrease comes with it.

It shouldn't have to (most study's of 5 -> 4 day work weeks show no real drop in productivity for non-manual work) but it probably would (that's capitalism!)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So we should teach the homeless to pick locks?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

50% eating out discount in August is certainly one way to get to herd immunity.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

kingturnip posted:

It's takeaway as well, if I heard him correctly. So child obesity is going to get a handy bump as well.

Well in that case sign me up!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So how is this half price restaurant meal supposed to work?
Does everyone get sent a book of vouchers, or will you just be charged half price in a restaurant and the restaurateur (say, a pizza parlour owner in Leigh) just says to Sunak (or his various deputies) "I had 30 diners in last night all buying £20 dinners, so you owe me £300" to which they respond "here you are Mr Tory-voting Pizza Parlour in Leigh, have £300 on us - no no need to prove anyone bought the dinners".
Can't see that not being open to abuse, no, never, what with the golden reputation of tories for honesty above all else.

Wonder how many are just going to put up their minimum menu price to £20?

Restaurants account the discounts to the government, they're repaid one week in arrears.

Somehow that's less convoluted and/or prone to fraud than just sending everyone gift cards.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Only thing it might do is put more pressure on FB to join in on banning political ads, but I doubt it because americans companies don't give a poo poo about the rest of the world.

Facebook is slowly moving towards political ad bans - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/10/tech/facebook-political-ads-ban/index.html

Not to the extent that Twitter already has, but it's a start and the July boycott will certainly be factoring into their decisions.

They've also finally banned conversion therapy ads on Facebook and Instagram.

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 11, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Obligatory :siren:WEETMAN WARNING:siren: but this is too funny not to post:

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1282244600065916928?s=20

Nobody cares.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

How do you even get access to the track and trace data? Surely that's protected somehow? Apologies if this is a very dumb question, I have no idea what the app is or how it is supposed to work.

Most pubs are getting customers to fill in paper forms, which are supposed to be kept securely and then destroyed after 21 days.

Dude probably took a photo of it when he realised it was her :/

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I put my 72 year old, tech illiterate Dad on it a few years ago. I no longer get calls cos he's accidentally installed malware, it's bliss.

Linux only gets hard if you're trying to do more tricky things. For a pc used for browsing the Web, replying to emails and printing the odd document I will argue its a better solution than Windows for most people.

Theses days the absolute correct answer for this usecase is Chromebooks/ChromeOS. It's Linux, but it Just Works ™

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Office kinda breaks down into a couple of tiers these days -

If you have a job that uses office or are a student, you almost certainly have office 365 available to you for either free or like £15/year

I'd you don't, Office.com (or gdocs if you're in the Google ecosystem) is free, good and works on basically everything at this point. If you're using features that Office.com doesn't have (like the Access goon before) then buying Office 2019 (there's v cheap keys available in SA Mart) or Office365 is almost certainly worth it for you anyway.

Or if you're breaking the law afraid of the cloud use libre office I guess, but it's garbage.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

Unfortunately (fortunately?) climate change isn’t really going to be effected by what a small country like the UK does or doesn’t do.

The UK finances 1/6 of all new fossil fuel based power production worldwide.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm a little confused about why some people in this thread are talking about the government 'pushing out untested vaccines" when the Oxford vaccine has just finished Phase II safety trials with 10,000 people and is about to go Phase III efficacy/performance trials with thousands of people in five countries around the world?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

hey whoa look man im too cool to read beyond the headlines on the embedded tweets

Pretty rude tbh.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rustybear posted:

cause i don't know what a phase iii trial is and i was trying to prompt someone to do a explainer but instead we just got a lot of sneering lol

Phase 2 is "let's give this to healthy people, study what changes/actions it causes and any potential side effects"

Phase 3 is "let's now give this to people and see whether it actually prevents covid"

E; cursed snipe, here's a cat that's also a doctor

]

blunt fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 20, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is incorrect and this thread has a real problem with clueless people throwing in their tuppence when it comes to biology

Then please correct it!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe read the Wikipedia page before adding to the whitenoise? I'm happy to address specific points of drug development or biological mechanisms, but I've got a lot of poo poo posting to do in other threads and it's not up to me to correct basic misinformation, the onus is on you not to spread it

What I posted was a generalisation that's supported by the Wikipedia article? (That's where I read about it in the first place!).

Genuinely though, if anyone does feel like explaining what was wrong about my interpretation then it would probably be beneficial to a bunch of us here.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

So brass tax here.

It's the 1st of March 2021. The Covid 19 vaccine is released.

The Government says it is safe and they have enough supplies to vaccinate everyone within a Month.

Are you going to be a day 1 adopter, or wait around?

Jab me, doc.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discourse but goddamn this post just gave me a criminal case of deja vu and a half remembered warning that 'its a good thing that the chance of working from home for months on end due to a global pandemic and then you see this cat pic is infinitely unlikely because then everything is going to go to poo poo'.

If it makes you feel any better it was just one of the first Google image results for 'doctor cat' 🙂

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

This isn't quite right, Phase 1 is safety and dose finding, Phase 2 is efficacy (and safety), and Phase 3 is pivotal efficacy (and more safety) usually in a comparative trial.

I have to say it has been pretty dismaying to see posters I would normally consider sensible posting antivax-adjacent stuff. This is being developed in a proper series of trials and while the development is accelerated that doesn't mean that corners are being cut. It's also a university research group doing the development and not Big Pharma which may be more reassuring (though being distributed by AstraZeneca but not for profit).

The technology is interesting and reduces the risk of toxicity. Normally vaccines are made from an attenuated version of the virus itself, this is a more sophisticated approach that uses an unrelated viral vector to inject RNA encoding the COVID spike protein (that it uses to infect cells), and the spike protein is then manufactured by the cells. This means the immune response is only against that spike protein and it is easier to ensure that protein fragment isn't found anywhere in the pstient's body.

I've done work on this kind of thing and you have to make sure that not only does that protein not exist in the body, but other proteins the same shape, or proteins with different amino acids substituted in.

The MHRA is a bit of a pain in the arse to work with but that is in large part because they are pretty cautious and demanding about safety. The level of data that reguatory agencies get to review is extremely detailed, they know what they're doing and I think it will be OK to have the vaccine when it's approved (speaking as a clinical research scientist, not in vaccies but immuno-oncology, also very much not a doctor). The data released so far look pretty good.

I think it's right to be a bit cautious but saying "i'm not taking any vaccine that has been rushed lol" is anti-mask levels of social irresponsibility. It is not far away from anti-mask or antivax conspiracy theory.

Thanks for the clarification!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Which is the most UKMT game: GeoGuessr or WikiSpeedia?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, good news is that bona fide covid tests are going to be available in pub toilets at a discount price from tomorrow evening. Don't miss out.

I really hope "we" isn't "G4S"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

loving christ. That's grim.

It's 100% gonna be West Wing bollocks about how it's okay to kill the browns if you handwring enough first. And if it covers BLM, it's totally going to be "actually we only want token gestures, and for NOTHING ELSE to structurally change." with Clinton nodding solemnly with "Welp. I'll see what I can do *winks*"

[e]: 311 - the amount of my braincells that just died on masse trying to comprehend the Hilary Clinton Fanfic Show.

I just read an amazon review of the book and :lol: it's so much worse than this.

Here's a little snippit:

The final part is set in 2015 (with flashbacks), and Hillary is running for President for the third time. (In fact, it was the second time.) And then Bill, two of whose marriages had ended in divorce and who was known to have participated in sex orgies in Silicon Valley, decided that he, too, would run for President. He drew huge crowds, making big inroads into the base of Hillary’s supporters. She defeated Bill for the Democratic nomination and then Jebb Bush for the Presidency, having been helped by the endorsement of Donald Trump! Her majority in Congress was sufficient for her to get through progressive legislation on citizenship for undocumented immigrants, climate change, and some gun control.

blunt fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 22, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Not a lawyer but I thought that wasn't legal?

Not that that ever stopped a poo poo company.

They're not allowed to reduce your holiday allowance because you're on furlough (because you're still an employee and so still accrue holiday).

They can, with reasonable notice, require you to take holiday - including when you're on furlough - but you have to receive your full rate of pay for any holiday you take.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Did you have any conversations with him about the household dynamic before he moved in?

I'm asking this specifically because (pre-pandemic) some of my housemates would have probably described me like that, but from my perspective between an office job and a pretty active social life the times that I was actually home I would absolutely just want to sit in my room, have some peace, enjoy my hobbies/game and have a break from the effort that being social requires.

I guess my point is try and establish if you both have the expectations before you make any grand gestures/efforts towards him, else you might just end up annoying him and making him uncomfortable in his home. Your housemates are your housemates, your friends are your friends. There might be some crossover over time, but it shouldn't be assumed that anybody who moves in is going to develop into a full friendship.

(That's absolutely not to say that you don't also have the same rights to be comfortable in your home etc ... Balance)

Edit: the pan stuff is gross though, if he's not maintaining basic hygiene standards in a shared house then the rest of you should definitely have a word with him. Probably best to so that together (he'll feel singled out but he won't point his anger at an individual housemate)

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 24, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mebh posted:

Terrible flatmate chat:

A terrible story with an important lesson: never be the last person to move out of a shared house.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Disnesquick posted:

Honest question: How much money would it take to put something together with the lefty goons here? At least to get it off the ground enough to have more than zero chance of gaining steam.

You don't need money, you need prominent sympathetic voices in the media.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i used to have a paper round lets dooo thiiis

Do you have any TV experience? Could you sit quietly for three minutes while Brendon O'Neill explains why socialism is inherently evil and then answer a single question about whether Jeremy Corbyn is anti-Semitic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I think anything that's an impediment to cycling is on balance bad for public health, but cycling on pavements is also a danger.

Does this include cycle paths that are on the pavement level as opposed to the road level?

Personally I find it mildly infuriating when cyclists cycle along narrow roads when there is an adjacent cycle path and wonder if the appropriate response would be fixed penalty notices that are used to fund more cycle infrastructure.