Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

Leperflesh posted:

So anyway I'll just reiterate it might not work exactly the same in Dishonored, but I thought this might be useful.

The example was "a protruding edge truth allows you to climb a building". I just misremembered that with smooth wall stuff. But this is all great information that I will keep with me when I run my one-shot. It does appear to all work the same as in Dishonored. Thanks for the clarification.

Lame new page post.

For anyone interesting in the Dishonored lore there happens to be about 110 pages of history and lore for the world, as well as pre-written stats for all the people and creature encountered in the games (Corvo, Emily, even the outsider himself), and each entry has two interesting story hooks for you.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Inkspot posted:

I'd like to play Star Trek, but as the only person in our group with any interest in Star Trek, it's more likely I'll end up running it. Oh well.

I picked up the Star Trek set on Humble Bundle a couple of months ago. I really like the system even though the books are not layed out well. It sounds like that's a common problem with Modiphius books - all the information you need is definitely in there, but the organization is pretty inefficient and, at least in Star Trek's case, the index is not very helpful at all. I think the system is actually pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it, and the game really feels like Star Trek, but it takes several sessions to really grasp what the system is since it's spread all over a 300+ page book and not really concisely presented anywhere other than the DM screen.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
There's a Humble Bundle out for Conan 2d20. As per usual, it's a hell of a deal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang. The $15 level basically gets you what people paid £40 for in the kickstarter, and a huge bargain off what the PDF set costs retail.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Finished our first Infinity campaign, all very impressed with it.

Ended with one of us 'dead', one of us arrested, and one of us working with maybe the bad guys?

I'm very interested in throwing together my own short campaign, such a versatile system.

Except the shopping + gear system because holy crap that's some convoluted garbage.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm running a Star Trek adventures campaign. I've been running and playing Trek since FASA's three blue book set, and I think of all the various systems I've played/run, Modiphius's really gets closest to a "Star Trek episode simulator", as one of my players said.

My only real complaint with the system is that starship combat drags a bit; it feels like there's less room for improvisation and tactics than in personal combat, so it comes down to rolling dice, and the only dice that make a huge difference are weapons dice.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

My only real complaint with the system is that starship combat drags a bit; it feels like there's less room for improvisation and tactics than in personal combat, so it comes down to rolling dice, and the only dice that make a huge difference are weapons dice.
Space combat is hard to make engaging, unless you go full Battlefleet Gothic/X Wing Miniatures and temporarily forget about being an RPG. The FFG Star Wars tries to give all the players ways to contribute than just shooting it out, but again it largely comes down to "make your attacks better and the other guy's attacks worse"

You'd hope that a Star Trek game would enable more creative solutions, since so many episodes are about "Federation wins with clever plans and technological trickery rather than superior firepower"

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How essential are the proprietory dice for Conan? The only one that really seems essential is the hit location die.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How essential are the proprietory dice for Conan? The only one that really seems essential is the hit location die.

Not at all. There is a hit location table on P121 of the main rulebook, and a combat die table on page 93. So you can use normal D20s and D6es for everything.

That said: I have the official dice set and I like it. The dice have a kind of matte finish to them, they feel nice in the hand and roll well. It comes with seven dice for twenty bucks which is really pricey for plastic dice; there's also just a single hit location die available for five bucks which is even more ridiculous of a price.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 20, 2020

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I picked up the Star Trek Adventures core rulebook as well as the Science and Command division books right before Toronto's new lockdown begins on Monday and I'm curious what other books are recommended.
Do the quadrant books have any new subsystems that are worth having? Is the operations book any good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Octavo posted:

I picked up the Star Trek Adventures core rulebook as well as the Science and Command division books right before Toronto's new lockdown begins on Monday and I'm curious what other books are recommended.
Do the quadrant books have any new subsystems that are worth having? Is the operations book any good?

might as well get the Operations if ya liked the Science and Command ones, it's pretty broad and covers a lot of roles.

The quadrants are really good reads, no real heavy crunch (they add races and all but nothing game changing) but tons of nice fluff and hooks to help you plan a campaign or just fun reading.

I guess my very unhelpful answer is 'you should actually just get all of the books they're all good', which is true, but likely doesn't help you.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

might as well get the Operations if ya liked the Science and Command ones, it's pretty broad and covers a lot of roles.

The quadrants are really good reads, no real heavy crunch (they add races and all but nothing game changing) but tons of nice fluff and hooks to help you plan a campaign or just fun reading.

I guess my very unhelpful answer is 'you should actually just get all of the books they're all good', which is true, but likely doesn't help you.

No, I appreciate knowing that there aren't any major duds or books with busted systems to avoid.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Also, if you're interested in playing or running a Klingon game, the Klingon core rules version is real good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Conan question: I'm a little unclear on the defense reaction wording. If I parry someone, is the struggle affected by reach and such, or does the struggle replace the usual melee resolution? i.e. if I have a reach 3 spear and someone is attacking me with a reach 1 dagger are they doing a d3 check for the struggle or are we both on d1s

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently GMing an alternate-reality Star Trek Adventures game for my group. We don't play it too often, but we do get back to it every now and then. The basic idea is that the Dominion War was lost, the Dominion owns the Alpha Quadrant, and poo poo is getting worse as the years wear on. It's set in 2405, and we started this before Picard started airing so I'm not using any of that, and also Romulus was never destroyed in this universe. I did it this way because half the group has never watched any Star Trek, but adore shows like Firefly, Dark Matter, and things like that, so I wanted to give the game themes in that direction, and also not give those who have watched as much Star Trek as I have a leg up on everyone else who hasn't.

They all initially got hired by a Ferengi working for Sluggo-Cola to work a transport job. He bought and restored an older Starfleet ship, a New Orleans-class which he renamed 'Uumox is Life'. He removed the sensor pods and replaced them with holographic emitters that allowed him to broadcast advertisements in space. Some periphery details: under Dominion occupation, the Ferengi were able to set a deal with the Dominion to regulate currency throughout the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and manage the financial markets, which gave them incredible leeway to skim a shitload of latinum every which way. They're one of the few species that are still very well-off, but it's all built on a house of cards -- if the Vorta ever found out how much illegal poo poo the Ferengi Commerce Authority was actually doing, Dominion Security would have words with them. And by words, I mean they'd probably carpet-bomb the capital city on Ferenginar over it.

I mention all this because this ship is making an illegal stop along its approved route through former Federation space with a particular passenger, a courier named Jake (again-- we did this way before Discovery Season 3). Unfortunately, they hit a natural anomaly along the way that knocked power out, and put them behind schedule. And to make matters worse, my group decided to kill the Ferengi captain because they hated him so goddamn much, so they hijacked the ship, made the rendezvous in a system with a nebula gas cloud near the besieged system of Andoria, evaded Jem'Hadar ships pursuing ships that broke the Andorian blockade, led by the USS Sovereign, by now so badly beat up it couldn't make it back, so they self-destructed it to draw attention away from the ships headed back with the materials and info Jake brought with him for a new piece of tech the Andorians needed to continue fighting the siege of their home system.

....and the crew got the hints about using the holographic emitters to fool Jem'Hadar sensors. I was proud of them for finally thinking about it without me hitting them over the head with it. The Dominion knows how to pierce cloaking devices, but no one's ever used holograms to fool them in this way before. So they get the hell out of there, make it back to their approved route and barely get there in time before the Jem'Hadar customs agents suspect them. And because someone had a loving god-roll on a hacking attempt to get into the captain's quarters, they got hold of the Ferengi captain's title to the ship, and were able to forge the documents successfully to make themselves owner.

Mechanics-wise, I absolutely love the assist rules. It's very much on-point for Star Trek overall, that working together is hugely emphasized. Even in this AU continuity, it still feels like Star Trek in a lot of ways. The space combat is pretty okay, because they got into a brief scrap with the Jem'Hadar, and their New Orleans ship stood no chance against them if they didn't confuse their sensors with the advertising holoemitters. But if they had a real combat ship like a Defiant or Akira, they'd put up a real fight. As a side-note, they still haven't figured out how to deactivate the Sluggo-Cola dancing girls off the outer hull.

There's more chapters that have happened, and I've been using secondary and support characters from TNG and DS9 for flavor. The best character I've portrayed so far is Tora Ziyal. Yes, she survives, because the moment in DS9 where she was killed never happened because the Defiant never made it to the wormhole to stop the Dominion reinforcements. That's my story so far. If it isn't too insane/inane, I'll post some of their other adventures to date.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azhais posted:

Conan question: I'm a little unclear on the defense reaction wording. If I parry someone, is the struggle affected by reach and such, or does the struggle replace the usual melee resolution? i.e. if I have a reach 3 spear and someone is attacking me with a reach 1 dagger are they doing a d3 check for the struggle or are we both on d1s

I agree, this is a confusing case in the game text, and I had to do some reading to figure it out. Basically: yes, you still apply the modifiers. So, even though it's now a struggle, your opponent would be adding +2 Difficulty to their roll due to your spear reach 3 vs. dagger reach 1 advantage. E.g., if you roll one success on your test, they need at least three successes to avoid a hit.

Also, despite the example on pg 113, the defender declares if they're using a Defend reaction before you roll the attack. They don't get to know how many successes you have before deciding to add a token to the doom pool and try to actively parry.

To crib from an (unofficial) FAQ I found:

quote:

For example, Conan attacks a Turanian soldier. Conan is armed only with a dagger, while the soldier has a spear. The soldier will use a Defend Reaction. The soldier's spear has 2 more Reach than Conan’s dagger, so Conan will test Melee vs D3, while the soldier tests Parry vs D1. Both roll at the same time. Conan uses extra dice by spending Doom and hits his skill Focus a couple times, resulting in 5 successes. This gives him 2 Momentum. The soldier rolls 2d20 and only gets 1 success on his Parry test. The soldiers test is successful, but he earns no Momentum, making Conan the winner and leaving Conan with 2 Momentum to spend on the hit.

I think this makes sense, as it preserves the weapon advantage, whereas if you ignored it, a defender with a spear would often be better off not parrying, to keep their reach advantage, vs. parrying and losing it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I read the FAQ, is there another thread for Modiphius' miniatures games like Fallout: Wasteland Warfare? Been searching for a thread on it for a while.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't see a thread about Modiphius tabletop minis games in the live threads, although I might have missed one. Feel free to make a thread!

There's sort of a conceptual overlap between the general boardgame thread and the tabletop minis thread - tabletop minis boardgames. Some of them have their own threads, like the star wars ones, and some don't.

If you don't want to make a thread for a particular game like Fallout, or a "megathread" for Modiphius minis games, you can also just ask questions in the boardgame thread or in the chat thread.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I like that the Fallout one involves leveling up. there's no real levels in the star trek one and that was a big disappointment to me

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I would totally start up a thread on the miniatures aspect of this company but unfortunately I know next to nothing about them, and am trying to get into the Fallout game myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is 100% totally cool to start a thread even if you don't know anything about the game. Not every thread needs an effortpost like it's going to be a megathread.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Worth mentioning for Star Trek Adventures, where the core rulebook is beautiful but a jumbled mess:

Modiphius has a character generator that makes character creation a breeze.

https://sta.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

It doesn't give the text for Talents, but it's my go to place for making pregens. (A group of characters I made for Gen Con a few years back went over well.)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got the Infinity RPG stuff and was somewhat bummed that it does not really map its rules to the parent franchise game, but it is not a big deal. The setting is ripe for mining, and the accessories that they put out with the whole Wilderness of Mirrors thing is the kind of stuff you'd put for a game where you have a group really comfortable with hidden role shenanigans. It would be a good idea to warm them up to it with a few rounds of Werewolf, Secret Hitler, or Coup.

The setting info is pretty good and also would serve as a good stand-in for LANCER's core setting if you want another "core worlds post-scarcity but outside of that Money and Tech Rule Everything" kind of deal.

Conan's deal could best be demonstrated by using one of the Kickstarter boardgame maps of yesteryear, but having zones be like voronoi polygons is an interesting way of doing things.

Momentum is kind of a neat mechanic that I think serves Modi's games really well. I'm just not sure if I'll ever get the chance to actually play them online or in person, since they a little fiddly with their general approaches.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

aldantefax posted:

I got the Infinity RPG stuff and was somewhat bummed that it does not really map its rules to the parent franchise game, but it is not a big deal. The setting is ripe for mining, and the accessories that they put out with the whole Wilderness of Mirrors thing is the kind of stuff you'd put for a game where you have a group really comfortable with hidden role shenanigans. It would be a good idea to warm them up to it with a few rounds of Werewolf, Secret Hitler, or Coup.

The setting info is pretty good and also would serve as a good stand-in for LANCER's core setting if you want another "core worlds post-scarcity but outside of that Money and Tech Rule Everything" kind of deal.

I'm curious how you think the RPG could (or should) be more like the minis game.

I do not know if I could pull of an actual Wilderness of Mirrors campaign, but happily the game seems to support unified parties just fine. And I really do like the campaign setting. Some of the choices are a little goofy, but I'll extend at least a little respect to anyone who will resist the urge to make Muslims screaming barbarians.

aldantefax posted:

Conan's deal could best be demonstrated by using one of the Kickstarter boardgame maps of yesteryear, but having zones be like voronoi polygons is an interesting way of doing things.

The Conan boardgame tiles being perfectly compatible with the RPGs method of tracking battlefields was a nice bonus. I wish there were more tiles like that suitable for Infinity/Mutant Chronicles.

aldantefax posted:

Momentum is kind of a neat mechanic that I think serves Modi's games really well. I'm just not sure if I'll ever get the chance to actually play them online or in person, since they a little fiddly with their general approaches.

I'm in a Conan game right now on Roll20, and it works out pretty well. The premade sheet required a little fettling to work, but it does all the dice rolling needed, and the GM just has a momentum tracker on the battlemap.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Tsilkani posted:

I'm curious how you think the RPG could (or should) be more like the minis game.

The main difference in Infinty RPG vs. Infinity N3, N4 etc. appears to be the action economy and action type. ARO is one of Infinity's core mechanics and to see it not really re-implemented (since momentum takes its place) generally means you have a game that is aesthetically the same but mechanically very different. Compare and contrast with, say, Iron Kingdoms RPG (1e and 2e) vs. Warmachine, where both things were clearly different interpretations of source aesthetic but had mechanical similarities to one another using Warmachine as its primary basis.

For Infinity RPG it also has "multiple combat modes" because you can do hacking, social, physical attacks to make the game more dynamic and flowing. I don't think (not super familiar, anyway) there are rules in Infinity N3 or N4 where you can hurl insults and make the opposition feel bad and they'll take enough self esteem damage to peace out of a tactical encounter.

Also, due to the eschewing of most of the rules that have to do with tactical miniatures combat in favor of a more cinematic rolling momentum-oriented scene to scene affair, each scene might have the same level of narrative impact but less on the tactical rigor portion, which is also kind of the point - Modi games want to be fluid situations that has a tug of war kind of thing going on, but in the "Modiphius" way.

Summary of what I think might be interesting to put in comes down to optional rules for tactical map engagement with ARO as a combat mode to use all the cool Infinity RPG minis, or even a nod in the rules to integrate Infinity RPG with Infinity N3 or N4.

Maybe they're more similar than it seems from reading through both rulesets in parallel, but the local Infinity group (and the Infinity RPG Discord) tend to see the divide in rulesets as also something where there's a missed opportunity in these aspects.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

aldantefax posted:

The main difference in Infinty RPG vs. Infinity N3, N4 etc. appears to be the action economy and action type. ARO is one of Infinity's core mechanics and to see it not really re-implemented (since momentum takes its place) generally means you have a game that is aesthetically the same but mechanically very different. Compare and contrast with, say, Iron Kingdoms RPG (1e and 2e) vs. Warmachine, where both things were clearly different interpretations of source aesthetic but had mechanical similarities to one another using Warmachine as its primary basis.

For Infinity RPG it also has "multiple combat modes" because you can do hacking, social, physical attacks to make the game more dynamic and flowing. I don't think (not super familiar, anyway) there are rules in Infinity N3 or N4 where you can hurl insults and make the opposition feel bad and they'll take enough self esteem damage to peace out of a tactical encounter.

Also, due to the eschewing of most of the rules that have to do with tactical miniatures combat in favor of a more cinematic rolling momentum-oriented scene to scene affair, each scene might have the same level of narrative impact but less on the tactical rigor portion, which is also kind of the point - Modi games want to be fluid situations that has a tug of war kind of thing going on, but in the "Modiphius" way.

Summary of what I think might be interesting to put in comes down to optional rules for tactical map engagement with ARO as a combat mode to use all the cool Infinity RPG minis, or even a nod in the rules to integrate Infinity RPG with Infinity N3 or N4.

Maybe they're more similar than it seems from reading through both rulesets in parallel, but the local Infinity group (and the Infinity RPG Discord) tend to see the divide in rulesets as also something where there's a missed opportunity in these aspects.

You can do most AROs with the various Reaction options. Dodge, attack back, hack the attacker, etc. Certain equipment can also simulate stuff like Kinematika.

The social stuff is an addon, sure, but I'd rather have it added in and be available than be left out to hew closer to the minis game.

You can still do pretty tactical combat, you're just breaking everything up into zones rather than measuring out by inches. I do think they need to make more zone maps available for people who don't want to draw it all out themselves, but I think it handles much better than, say, Iron Kingdoms, where you had to measure distance for everything just like in the minis game, which could slow stuff down.

I got into N3 first and bought into the RPG because of that, and I think it does a great job of feeling like the minis game while allowing the freedom needed as an RPG. I'd actually be upset if the RPG said to just go play the minis game every time combat happened. The old mechwarrior RPGs did that, and it was an incredible letdown. I grabbed the RPG because I want to have fun in the setting without having to resort to breaking out the minis game, you know?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know if it's explicitly stated anywhere, but modiphius RPGs seem to have as a design principle that theater-of-the-mind combat be fully possible, and not just in a throwaway "you can dump some rules and fudge poo poo to make it work" way. A map with zones can be sketched in 20 seconds if you really need one, and using zone naming can help if needed, but you can also totally just say "everyone by the tree is in close; and then let's say there's a ring of four zones around the tree, north/south/east/west, each adjacent to the tree zone and adjacent to two other ring zones" or "the inn's common room is a zone; each door from there is a zone boundary with the adjacent room or hallway being another zone; and if it comes up, windows/outside are zone boundaries too" and you can improvise additional zone breaks if they're suddenly needed (oh okay Conan is on the roof busting through the ceiling, that's an adjacent zone but due to the height, no melee attacks across that zone boundary.)

I can totally see an Infinity minis player wishing for an RPG that gave crunchy, grid or hex minis combat as a priority over the default; but Modiphius is leveraging their 2d20 system and not trying to re-invent the wheel with each new game, and there's a lot of advantages to doing that for everyone: The system is already playtested and its strengths and weaknesses well understood; modifying it carries much less risk than starting from scratch. Also, if you've played one 2d20 game, you are already well-primed to pick up the differences and play another one. Also, they can eventually do some kind of "2d20 second edition" and update all their games with it, so investing in that costs less than investing in a system upgrade for several mechanically incompatible systems or having to choose just one to update because that's all that's in the budget.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any good module adventures for STA? Due to the players involved I'm ideally looking for something firmly set in the TNG era requiring no knowledge of DS9 etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't have an exact answer for you because I haven't played, but I figured I'd mention this first anyway: the last two seasons of TNG overlap with the first two seasons of DS9, and then the TNG movies have further overlap with other series.

This may be helpful as a timeline resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

These timelines are assembled by fans, because the shows' various producers have often played a little fast-and-loose with chronology. Given how many alternate-timelines we've now proliferated with the films, you also have the choice to easily say "eh well in OUR timeline, the dominion war never happened, Sisko didn't become a wormhole aliens prophet to the Bajorans, and the situation out there is static and not too important" and just plow forward with your mainline TNG story regardless.

Anyway: Modiphius' star trek site lets you filter, so here's all of the adventures and campaigns they've published:
https://www.modiphius.net/collections/star-trek-adventures/star-trek_campaigns-adventures?page=1

The standalone PDF adventures are under $6, so the bar isn't too high in terms of maybe just sampling a few.

Clicking through, some of them have a stardate, some don't. The Gravity of the Crime, Nest in the Dark, Stolen Liberty, Back to Reality, and The Prize Supplement have blurbs saying they're set in the TNG era, but with notes for adapting to other eras.

I suspect that with some adaptation work you could adjust other adventures to suit TNG era as well; especially if your players aren't the type to say things like "hey wait a minute, by TNG era this planet we're supposedly making first contact on had joined the federation, are you running an original series adventure on us???" or whatever.

Of course, there's also compendiums, which I think have adventures for multiple eras? Just based on the artwork preview, compendium 1 looks more TOSy and compendium 2 looks more TNGy, but that's just art and the blurbs don't say.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The adventures usually have a sidebar on how to change the era a given adventure is set in, usually swapping TOS and TNG. And honestly, they're usually pretty easy to do yourself. Any unexplored planet can be moved from one spot in space to another, alien species can usually be swapped, etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So I started reading the core book and the default setting is 2371 just before Voyager leaves dry dock and just after the federation finds out about the dominion, aka pretty much the exact era I was thinking of :toot:

That's still a year past where they've gotten in TNG and DS9 but close enough

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 13, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I found out Modiphus has the license for the Elder Scrolls miniatures game. Is the game itself any good and how quality are the minis?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Splicer posted:

Are there any good module adventures for STA? Due to the players involved I'm ideally looking for something firmly set in the TNG era requiring no knowledge of DS9 etc.

There's a whole living campaign to work with.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Splicer posted:

IMO both of the Modiphius books of adventures are pretty solid (of course, each has 1 or 2 modules that aren't as good as the rest, as well as 1 or 2 that are far better than the others). Each module is written for one of the three eras (TNG/TOS/Enterprise) but conversion is simple and suggestions are given in a sidebar. I'd recommend volume 2 over volume 1.

People also post their homegrown adventures ( of varying quality of course) to the /r/startrekadventures subreddit and to continuingmissionsta.com

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How does area damage affect squads in Conan (assuming its any different)?

Like if there's a stack of 5 and you do 10 area damage, does it drop to a stack of 3 or is each of the 5 hit by the attack (effectively meaning area damage vs squads is doubly devastating)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azhais posted:

How does area damage affect squads in Conan (assuming its any different)?

Like if there's a stack of 5 and you do 10 area damage, does it drop to a stack of 3 or is each of the 5 hit by the attack (effectively meaning area damage vs squads is doubly devastating)

The rules are not clear on this, mostly because the rules for Area attacks are confined to a single paragraph on page 152.However, this is my own take:

The Area weapon quality only allows the attack to "target" additional targetable entities, usually enemies unless you roll Complications. Squads (and Mobs) act like a single target, so if a Squad is in a zone, you target that squad as normal, and then "one additional target within Close range for each Effect rolled, starting with the next closest target." As-written that would have to be a separate Target - a different enemy, perhaps a Toughened etc. one, or a different Squad/Mob. Then you'd roll damage, and the nature of the Squad is such that if you inflict Wounds, you take out a squad member and then additional damage laps over onto the next member as usual. That would mean that an Area attack against a zone only containing a Squad is strictly worse than against a zone with two or more targetable entities. I don't like that, it seems bad to me, so I think I might rule that each Effect allows the player to roll Damage a second time, applying it to the Squad again, until/unless the Squad runs out of Minions.

There's more problems here though. All of the Area weapons in the Core rulebook are in the Sorcery section, they're generally the throwable alchemical preparations, and these are unclear about use. What's the range of a thrown alchemical device? Is it the same as an improvised weapon (see the Improvised Weapons sidebar on page 152), which would mean it also has the Improvised quality, doing zero damage whenever Effects are rolled? (I think the answer has to be No, since it's not mentioned, but with no actual ranged weapon statline anywhere for these, we still have to just assume it's probably Close and work from there). If you hit enemies with an Area attack, do you still roll hit locations for them, to determine Soak? (I think probably yes, but this is odd and I wish the rules said so explicitly.)

Overall I think as a GM you may have to just make a reasonable ruling. If you rule that the Area attack hits each individual member of the Squad you could do that, although the main point of Squads is to simplify combat for both you and the players, and this would do the exact opposite, you'd wind up rolling individual damage (and hit locations?) for each enemy. And then what will you do with Momentum spends like the one that lets you target more enemies with an attack? What if the player wants to spend Momentum/Fortune/Doom prior to rolling, to make it a "called shot" against the leader of the Squad?

The abstraction of having damage just work from one member of the Squad to the next isn't supposed to be read as if the PCs always gang up on one member of the squad at a time; instead, it's intended to produce a running attrition effect on the squad, with members of the squad getting taken out in quick succession, and also the leader using them to protect himself. Part of this abstraction is the lack of Wounds - each minion is out as soon as you score a Wound, and if you do 5+ damage in one attack (after Soak) you do two wounds and take out a second Minion. If you keep to that abstraction with the use of an Area weapon, you can still describe it as the weapon hitting everyone in the zone... just, only one or two members of the Squad succumb, with the others being hurt but not out yet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Anyone lower than a big boy doesn't have hit locations at all as part of their purpose of making fights faster iirc so that particular part wouldn't be a problem at least.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhhh yeah lol

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Humble Bundle has a pretty nice looking deal on Wasteland Warfare stuff (link) I haven't played anything from Modophius, is it worth grabbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toebone posted:

Humble Bundle has a pretty nice looking deal on Wasteland Warfare stuff (link) I haven't played anything from Modophius, is it worth grabbing?

I've got no particular knowledge about the minis game, and the Wasteland Warfare RPG stuff appears to be built on top of the minis game system, e.g. it's not a 2d20 game. I would guess that you might like it if you already are interested in the minis game, but that if you're not into the minis game, the RPG as an add-on is probably not the best place to start. That's just a guess, though.