Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

CitizenKeen posted:

Dune seems to be trucking. It's not a Dishonored/Fallout situation where they seem to be one-and-done. Dune got Sand and Dust, the "Dune is all about Arrakis, if we're being honest" sourcebook, a recent campaign book Masters of Dune (a campaign book picking up after the Agents of Dune starter adventure), and the forthcoming Houses of the Landsraad (a "Dune is more than Arrakis" sourcebook for those who aren't following, which is pretty exciting).

As a Dune turbo-nerd for much of my life, I'm pretty happy with the 2d20 implementation so far. With The Great Game: Houses of the Landsraad coming out, that will add much more depth to the political aspect of the game, which will really amp up the Dune-ness of the game.

As hype as I am for the content of The Great Game, I'm a bit shocked by the pricing -- £38 (plus £8.48 shipping) for a 128-page book is frankly ridiculous. This £38 price point is massively more than similar-sized hardcover sourcebooks in the other 2d20 lines. As a point of comparison, I recently paid £33 for the Zweihander core book, which is 692 pages and noticeably higher-quality than the Modiphius hardcovers. Does anyone know what's going on with this price hike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

thorsilver posted:

As hype as I am for the content of The Great Game, I'm a bit shocked by the pricing -- £38 (plus £8.48 shipping) for a 128-page book is frankly ridiculous. This £38 price point is massively more than similar-sized hardcover sourcebooks in the other 2d20 lines. As a point of comparison, I recently paid £33 for the Zweihander core book, which is 692 pages and noticeably higher-quality than the Modiphius hardcovers. Does anyone know what's going on with this price hike?
Did you check that you are on the correct webstore for your region? I was on the EU site trying to get the new Dune book in America and it quoted me a totally out of control shipping cost until I switched to the US page.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

mellonbread posted:

Did you check that you are on the correct webstore for your region? I was on the EU site trying to get the new Dune book in America and it quoted me a totally out of control shipping cost until I switched to the US page.

Yep I'm definitely on the correct UK site, have ordered from there many times by now. It's very bizarre, the 128-page STA supplements are listed at £28, so £38 is a huge jump in price.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe the Dune license costs more?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe the Dune license costs more?

If that were true, I'd expect the other Dune hardcovers to be super-expensive too, but they're not -- Sand & Dust was 156 pages and Modiphius sells it for £30, pretty much identical to STA pricing.

For some reason only The Great Game has this crazy price hike going on.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Has anyone else had issues ordering from modiphius.us? I ordered $125 worth of stuff from them during their January sale, and it still hasn't shipped almost a month later. I emailed them asking about it a week ago and only got the automated message that says to expect a response within two business days (lol).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Polly Toodle posted:

Has anyone else had issues ordering from modiphius.us? I ordered $125 worth of stuff from them during their January sale, and it still hasn't shipped almost a month later. I emailed them asking about it a week ago and only got the automated message that says to expect a response within two business days (lol).

They're fulfilling in the US through Funagain. Took me a month to get my stuff and then I got my email back a week later.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-adventures-brings-the-action-to-the-lower-decks

Lower Decks Campaign Guide. Crew roster and adventure available now.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Oooooo LD is what got me back into Star Trek this is gonna be a must-buy for me

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm most excited to get stats for the Cali class and hopefully some of the other designs from LD. I love the California class as the post-TNG Miranda, an unflashy workhorse that's perfect for a lower-ranked party.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Which are the best Conan RPG books?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Angrymog posted:

Which are the best Conan RPG books?

Crush Your Enemies, See Them Driven Before You, and Hear the Lamentations of Their Women

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.dreamsandmachines.com/

Modiphius's "it's not quite Horizon Zero Dawn" is publicly acknowledged. (The playtest documents looked great.)

Regarding Conan: Leperflesh wrote up summaries of the Conan books. "Best" is "best for what you want to do with Conan", so I'd read that awesome post then come back with questions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indeed. What kinda game you want to play? Or are you hoping to pick up just like, top four, and then read them for ideas and inspiration? Because I get that.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna say if you and your whole group are unfamiliar with the game, you could just use the core rulebook. Each of what I'll call the "themed supplements" below add a gazeteer style overview of an additional region on the map, some character options set to a particular theme, and some GM resources for running adventures and various enemies for that theme/region. If your group can choose a theme, it can make sense to add in the rules from that book. For example, Conan the Pirate obviously adds some nautical-themed stuff: character archetypes, castes, talents, stories, gear, sorceries. And then it also adds stuff for the GM: some events, encounters, enemies, some rules for pirate organizations, some rules for ship combat, carousing events, and so forth. If your players want a piracy campaign, definitely use it; if they just want to go on a sailing trip as one game night of a campaign, use it as a GM resource. If one player in a game not about piracy/sailing wants to have a sailorish background, you could borrow an archetype from the book and ignore the rest... but also they could just play a Pirate out of the core book and call it a day. Do that to avoid having more books you might need to bust out and reference in the middle of a game night. This generally applies to all of these themed supplements. There's ten archetypes in the core book and along with all the background and skill and talent options you already have quite a lot of flexibility to sink your teeth into as a gaming group.

I made a big mistake when I ran my PbP game here on SA and just told the players to use all the expansions available in the character builder. It made for some excessively random stuff across the party, too many references for me to look up and figure out what the hell the characters even were, and no cohesive theme.

The themed supplements are:
  • Conan the Adventurer - The "not-Africa" regions south of the Styx, including Stygia. Archetypes include a sort of generic "adventurer", and some culturally-themed ones I feel are pretty interesting like Griot and Witch-Finder. This supplement is trying hard not to just be "Conan, but black people" and I think it mostly succeeds but I'm not really qualified to judge. This book focuses more on setting info than providing new mechanics the way some of the other themed supplements.
  • Conan the Barbarian - the frozen north, including cimmeria and nordheim. A system for raids, barbaric carousing, berzerking, being part of a tribe. Bard, Hunter, Raider, Slaver. If you have a whole party who all want to be Conans, use this book.
  • Conan the Brigand - sort of not-persia/mongolia? Steppe horsepeople. Raiding and plundering rules. Desert nomad camp stuff. Archetypes are Entertainer, Merchant, Torturer, and "Kozak" which is a special type of uh, brigand.
  • Conan the King - Aquilonia. Courtly intrigue! Titles and holdings. Rules for creating factions and letting them struggle (led or influenced by the PCs!). Of all these supplements this one is the most "different' I'd say - the archetypes (Courtier, Healer, Knight, Minstrel, Noble) could work in any game but I would not use any of these special rules unless you're specifically running a game that fits this theme, and if you are, you should really focus on it. I really like this supplement though.
  • Conan the Mercenary - the warring kingdoms and city-states of not-arabian/greece or maybe Italy I guess? This book is all about being a sell-sword and fighting in little wars. Archetypes include Captain, Messenger, Champion, Veteran, and Unseasoned Youth (lol). Rules for mercenary companies, sieges, camp followers, and running a large-scale battle.
  • Conan the Pirate - yo ho yo ho etc. etc. The coastal kingdoms of not-Italy (Argos), Stygia (again!), Shem, etc. I described this book above. Similar to Conan the King I think you would pull this book out if you want to do sea battles and poo poo and if you're adventuring inland you should mostly ignore it, although as a location sourcebook you might still want to reference the stuff about Shem or something.
  • Conan the Scout - Wilderness Adventures, But Conan. Jungle & forest adventures, including the Pictish wilderness. Archetypes are Explorer, Missionary, Scout, and Trader. Stealth, survival, animal handling talents. Rules for generating a border kingdom, which you could probably use or adapt to a different adventure or campaign if you wanted.
  • Conan the Thief - Stealing poo poo, The Game. Zamora, Corinthia, Nemedia, Brythunia - you know, the lands of the thieves or whatever. Archetypes include assasin, spy, fence, relic hunter, master thief. Rules for thieves guilds and how to run heists. A heist generator!
  • Conan the Wanderer - Oriental Adventures, But Conan. Not-Iran, not-India, and not-China. As with Conan the Adventurer, there's been at least a pass at cultural sensitivity here, and some success at moving past Howard's dip into mysterious orientalism, but I'm not the one to judge success. Horse nomads, ancient jeweled courts. Castes. Archetypes are Court Official, Beggar, Emissary, Horse Nomad, Mystic, and Vagabond. I feel like you could use these in any adventure. This book seems light on extra mechanics for the GM.
These two technically are intended to be played in a modified setting:
  • Conan the Exiles Sourcebook and Kull of Atlantis

Exiles is based on the video game, providing the familiar structure of character options and GM stuff drawn from that setting, and Kull is for adventuring in the age before the one Conan lives in. In both cases you absolutely can bring the character archetypes and at least some of the setting info into a regular Conan game, so you don't have to intentionally avoid them or anything, but they don't really fit the "thematic" pattern of the other Conan the X books, but some of the character stories won't make sense in a regular game, the setting info isn't useful otherwise, etc. so I'd just avoid these unless you're short on ideas and want to mine them for a few. Or if you just want to run a game in ancient Atlantis!

There's also some supplements that are generally more focused on giving the GM options:
  • Ancient Ruins & Cursed Cities - an adventure resource for uh, ancient... ruins, and cities that have been cursed. Conan: Indiana Jones Edition. Some detailed locations, a ruins generation system, enemies, some rules for like dodging traps, some loot, and a treasure horde generation system.
  • Horrors of the Hyborian Age - Mostly a monster manual, but also adds beast and beastmaster archetypes for PCs that you could use in most any of the above settings/themes.
  • Jeweled Thrones of the Earth - Six full adventures that can be joined into a campaign or run individually, plus a bunch of mini adventure seeds.
  • Nameless Cults - basically Deites & Demigods but for Conan; really useful sourcebook to use as a reference for a particular nasty otherworldly foe or influencer, to help PCs who are like priests with details about their god, etc. also adds some cult-themed archetypes for PCs. Regardless of what theme you're running this can be a useful book to pull out to add some texture and flavor. I used it to help explain to PCs what's going on with the whole tension between Mitra and Set, for example.
  • Shining Kingdoms - kind of a mini adventure pack, with three short modules of stuff you could use to fill a game night or two on short notice. I haven't read it.
  • The Book of Skelos - a sorcery expansion that provides a lot of additional stuff for PCs, refines and adds ot the sorcery rules, etc. and I'd say to not use it right away until the players and you are solid on how sorcery works from just the base book. But once they've got that down, you could do a deep dive and there's a lot of stuff here that improves sorcery. Sorcery in Conan is very different from magic in D&D, and that makes it quite interesting. It also destroys characters, inevitably, so if you want a game to play more like Call of Cthulhu this could be a good way to get your whole party thematically oriented that way.
  • Treasure House of Jaizin Kaa - a standalone adventure, intended to be run for characters built with Conan the Thief. It's a heist. Coool. I haven't read it but it looks fun to me.
And lastly there's the Players Guide, which I honestly haven't bothered to thumb through but on a glance I'm pretty sure it's just excerpted rules for players so they don't have to buy the whole main book if they aren't going to GM.

This is a late response to this summary (which is really good), but one thing you might find useful in the Conan the Exiles Sourcebook even if you're not using that setting is that it has expansive rules for crafting buildings and settlements that could be useful for any sort of campaign where you grow beyond simple wanderers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ooh, nice. I haven't done more than briefly skim it so far so that's good to know, I missed it.

actually if you don't mind, I'll edit in that comment so folks who just look at that post will see it

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Sure, go ahead. There's also some stuff in there about map exploration and survival rules... basically everything you'd need to do a Westmarches hexcrawl in Conan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nice, added thanks!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've missed the hard copies of the books I was interested in, so I really hope they do a big PDF cheap bundle like they did with Mutant Chronicles.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Unfortunately, they lost the license, so that's not going to happen. :smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unfortunately, they lost the license, so that's not going to happen. :smith:

Well, they're still selling the books in PDF, and the reason they did an 'All books for £5' PDF bundle for mutant chronicles was because they'd lost the license too I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh. I stand corrected.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
They lost the license, but they did so on good terms. They were given a very good window to clear stock.

If you want PDFs you have one more month. No more physical books will be forthcoming.

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/conan-license-update

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The expected Conan PDF fire sale is on. 90% off the "get everything" bundle, and the individual products are 50% off.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The expected Conan PDF fire sale is on. 90% off the "get everything" bundle, and the individual products are 50% off.

This is outstanding. Thanks for linking it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You're most welcome! Pro-tip: even if you've already got several, as long as they're on DTRPG, you want to get the bundle because you'll just have to pay for the ones you don't have, and it'll be 90% off that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For the few 2d20 fans who haven't purchased the Conan bundles, tomorrow's your last chance.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I just got the Dreams and Machines starter set. It's really nicely made, and the tutorial module is a great idea.

Character generation in the starter set is done by picking cards - a more flexible take on pre-gens, whilst still making things quick to get started.

Looking forwards to the full books when they come out.

If anyone in the UK wants hardcopy Conan books places like Leisure Games will still have stock for a while, though obviously they're at normal prices.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cohorts Cthulhu Kickstarter is live.. They have a link to download quickstart rules, which is nice.

I hadn't realized until now that Doug Seacat was the writer on this. His world building was the best part of Privateer Press back when he worked for them, so I'm double excited for this now.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

ooh, nice. I haven't done more than briefly skim it so far so that's good to know, I missed it.

actually if you don't mind, I'll edit in that comment so folks who just look at that post will see it

This is probably the place to ask, whats next(tm) for Conan on the tabletop? Monolith seems to be not that interested in putting out more Conan stuff for their minis game, and the game line for 2d20 is done and gone. What nowwww?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This is probably the place to ask, whats next(tm) for Conan on the tabletop? Monolith seems to be not that interested in putting out more Conan stuff for their minis game, and the game line for 2d20 is done and gone. What nowwww?

Just play a Barbarian/Rogue in D&D? The Conan 2d20 game was great, but I don't think it did so well anyone will be paying for the license anytime soon.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can also just play the 2D20 game forever?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the game line for 2d20 is done and gone.

Done, yes. Gone, no. I mean yeah, you'll have to go used routes and/or PDF hunting, but assuming you get your hands on the existing books, you could play 2D20 Conan for the rest of your life with the amount of material there is.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
AFAIK Monolith is working on a new RPG now that they have the license. There's a Discord channel where one of the developers has been talking about it here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just play a Barbarian/Rogue in D&D? The Conan 2d20 game was great, but I don't think it did so well anyone will be paying for the license anytime soon.

Isn't Conan in the public domain now? I'm not sure how all of that works. Same with John Carter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rydiafan posted:

You can also just play the 2D20 game forever?

Done, yes. Gone, no. I mean yeah, you'll have to go used routes and/or PDF hunting, but assuming you get your hands on the existing books, you could play 2D20 Conan for the rest of your life with the amount of material there is.

Isn't it illegal to play games that aren't being printed anymore?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Isn't Conan in the public domain now? I'm not sure how all of that works. Same with John Carter.

The situation is complicated. According to Wikipedia:

quote:

Since Robert E. Howard's Conan stories were published at a time when the date of publication was the marker (1932–1963), however, and any new owners failed to renew them to maintain the copyrights,[49] the exact copyright status of all of Howard's 'Conan' works is in question.[50] The majority of Howard's Conan fiction exist in at least two versions, subject to different copyright standards, namely 1) the original Weird Tales publications before or shortly after Howard's death, which are generally understood to be public domain and 2) restored versions based upon manuscripts which were unpublished during Howard's lifetime.[51]

The result is that game companies and others making new Conan works are being safe and making formal licensing deals with the entities that seem to have been legally settled as holding the various copyrights, both for original Howard works and for subsequent Conan-based material (novels, comics, films, etc.)

btw that's a typo, it should say 1932-1936, as Howard took his own life in 1936.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Drone posted:

It's one of the reason Marvel let the Conan comics license lapse, they get it all back for free in six or seven years.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Has anybody gotten to play around with the Cohors Cthulhu quickstart rules yet? Is there a summary of what is unique to it vs other 2D20 games?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Has anybody gotten to play around with the Cohors Cthulhu quickstart rules yet? Is there a summary of what is unique to it vs other 2D20 games?

May be bad form to bump a thread by quoting myself, but there's 24 hours to go and I was hoping somebody had an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

rydiafan posted:

May be bad form to bump a thread by quoting myself, but there's 24 hours to go and I was hoping somebody had an answer.

Very little from my read. (Haven't played.) It's Actung Cthulhu with one more skill (Oratory), and using the reach rules of Conan. It'll probably shape up to be a more approachable (and in print) Conan.