Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain's Log is good as a base, yeah. The real meat of it is in breaking down how to build and run scenes -- for the rest of it, IMO if you're at all familiar with STA, just use that and graft Captain's Log onto it. As Doctor Zero said, character creation in Captain's Log is a bit :psyduck: and the random tables are written by someone who has no idea how a random table is supposed to work. A lot of the ship stats vary from their STA versions for reasons that I really can't understand at all... many are identical, some are not.

As a big fan of STA I found Captain's Log interesting but not super useful beyond helping to organize the actual gameplay part of solo gaming. For someone who doesn't have STA it's probably much better.

For a two-player game (one GM, one player) I'd say just go with straight-up STA. Depends on how old your daughter is though, if your intent is to sort of have a shared solo experience where you're both telling the story of the exact same character, then yeah, maybe sticking with Captain's Log will work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Doctor Zero posted:

Why are Gorn and Romulans playable in the Enterprise era? They hadn't even been seen yet.

Their rationale for making races playable in eras tends to be that the race was seen in an episode from the corresponding show. Not that they were memebers of the Federation. (The Andorians not being in TOS are an exception, almost certainly just an error of omission.)

So, since Enterprise does in fact feature one 2200's-era Gorn and a small amount of 2200's-era Romulans, they're fair game!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

does the game seriously refer to alien species as "races"?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

No they're "species."

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Leperflesh posted:

This game, no.

Star Trek itself? https://searchtrek.org/search/TOS/race/0

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

That's me slipping into fantasy RPG terminology. :shobon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeesh
I wonder when they stopped, I don't think the most recent Treks like Disco use the word that way, so maybe just through Enterprise?

Doctor Zero posted:

That's me slipping into fantasy RPG terminology. :shobon:

Understandable (fantasy RPGs need to quit this too), I just wasn't sure if it was you, or the source books themselves.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Star Trek Adventures 2E Quickstart is up! https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/478367/star-trek-adventures-quickstart

I'll give it a read after work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tequila Bob posted:

Star Trek Adventures 2E Quickstart is up! https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/478367/star-trek-adventures-quickstart

I'll give it a read after work.

Did I miss an announcement about a second edition of STA?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

CitizenKeen posted:

Yep.

https://www.modiphius.net/en-us/pages/star-trek-adventures-2e-signup

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

CitizenKeen posted:

They're supposed to be having a launch event at this year's GenCon, if you're going. (I'm not, could not get past the hotel block skill check, also it's the 50th anniversary of D&D so the shitshow probability is rapidly approaching 1)

I'm looking forward to 2E, myself. I've had a blast playing 1E, and I'm anticipating good things once the editors have a pass at this! (pointedly does not look at the rest of the page)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh hey they have that post-ENT uniform from Beyond.

Edit: or wait it’s the 32nd century uniform from Discovery? I was wondering why Discovery wasn’t represented.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh hey they have that post-ENT uniform from Beyond.

Edit: or wait it’s the 32nd century uniform from Discovery? I was wondering why Discovery wasn’t represented.

Hmm. You're right, that does look like the future Disco uniform. Maybe they finally got the rights? Or maybe just permission to use the uniform style? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That's cool. I'll buy it. Wonder what the refinements are.