Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I picked up the Dishonored book having never heard of the Modiphius system. I want to run my group through a one shot some time soon, but so far I have yet to play it. I haven't a clue how the other versions of the 2d20 system(modiphius is a mouthful) works. I don't know what here is purely Dishonored, and what is grabbed from base 2d20, so sorry if I explain some poo poo that is basic knowledge. Here is a brief overview of Dishonored.

Skills are Fight, Move, Study, Survive, Talk, and Tinker. Styles are Boldly, Carefully, Cleverly, Forcefully, Quietly, Swifty. You combine one skill with one style for your action. Sneaking through the shadows would be "Move Quietly", sneaking across rooftops might be "Move Carefully". This bit of the system I like.
Next, your Focus increases your Critical range for more successes. There is a big list like your normal d20 fantasy game. Acrobatics, deception, etc.

Momentum and Chaos are very tied into the Dishonored games, though it is a bit too gamey for me on first glace, but having not played with it that could just be my knee-jerk reaction. It goes like: Every extra success you roll after beating the DC gets put into a momentum pot, that can be used to buy a 1d20 to any roll by any other player character. You can also create a Truth with 2 momentum, which in essence is just giving the player a bit of narrative control over the scene. The once smooth stone walls now become ornate brick work and easier to climb. Stuff like that. You can spend 1 momentum to ask the GM any question. This seems silly. Players should be able to ask the GM questions for free.

Chaos is the inverse of momentum. In the Dishonored games this is represented by more guards and harder levels. Here it is literally just momentum for the DM. You spend 1 Chaos to add a 1d20 to a NPC roll. Create a truth for an NPC. or use it to prevent a PC from creating a truth. I don't like the last bit. Players do not get enough chances to control the narrative in these games as it is, and DMs already have full ability to say no to over the top truths. I like some of momentum, I think Chaos could use some work.

Bone Charms are just magic items for this world. Grant you rerolls, or make weapon attacks have riders or tags. Stuff like that. The Outsider's mark opens up magic powers. You can get void points that you spend to give you an extra action, summon fog, grab stuff from a distance, blink short distances, and a bunch of passive ones too.

That is about it mechanics wise. I can explain anything in more depth if anyone has any questions.

Edit: forgot to mention the players can willing give the DM chaos by buying d20s for their rolls.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

Leperflesh posted:

So anyway I'll just reiterate it might not work exactly the same in Dishonored, but I thought this might be useful.

The example was "a protruding edge truth allows you to climb a building". I just misremembered that with smooth wall stuff. But this is all great information that I will keep with me when I run my one-shot. It does appear to all work the same as in Dishonored. Thanks for the clarification.

Lame new page post.

For anyone interesting in the Dishonored lore there happens to be about 110 pages of history and lore for the world, as well as pre-written stats for all the people and creature encountered in the games (Corvo, Emily, even the outsider himself), and each entry has two interesting story hooks for you.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 7, 2020