Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm running a Star Trek adventures campaign. I've been running and playing Trek since FASA's three blue book set, and I think of all the various systems I've played/run, Modiphius's really gets closest to a "Star Trek episode simulator", as one of my players said.

My only real complaint with the system is that starship combat drags a bit; it feels like there's less room for improvisation and tactics than in personal combat, so it comes down to rolling dice, and the only dice that make a huge difference are weapons dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Splicer posted:

Are there any good module adventures for STA? Due to the players involved I'm ideally looking for something firmly set in the TNG era requiring no knowledge of DS9 etc.

IMO both of the Modiphius books of adventures are pretty solid (of course, each has 1 or 2 modules that aren't as good as the rest, as well as 1 or 2 that are far better than the others). Each module is written for one of the three eras (TNG/TOS/Enterprise) but conversion is simple and suggestions are given in a sidebar. I'd recommend volume 2 over volume 1.

People also post their homegrown adventures ( of varying quality of course) to the /r/startrekadventures subreddit and to continuingmissionsta.com

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I keep it posted openly on tabletop. It adds to the tension about using threat (STA GM here) -- when I've got tons of threat, they're hesitant about adding to the total, but when I'm low they don't mind using points here and there.

e: and when I screw them over badly they know it's "their fault" for letting the threat pool build up so high

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CitizenKeen posted:

Are there any good resources/hubs for fan material for 2d20? Especially Star Trek but any.

I'm noodling about a Kelvin: TNG game.

https://continuingmissionsta.com/ is good for Trek. Also, the Modiphius product manager (I think that's who he is) hangs out in the subreddit, or at least he used to -- haven't been there in a while

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finster Dexter posted:

He felt like it wasn't too crunchy, and it wasn't about rolling huge dice pools or sorting through skills or whatever.

A++ would play again

I really like this aspect of the system. Every other Trek RPG system I've played has had a long list of skills to sort through, and STA better models the "get up from Ops and man Tactical" that we see in TNG and later Treks, plus no "OK, science officer, what's your Planetary Science (meteorological [precipitation])" skill checks.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If anyone is interested, Mors Rattus is reviewing/describing Modiphius’s Infinity 2D20 RPG in the Fatal & Friends thread. This link should be the first post in the thread, but I’m on mobile so hopefully it’ll work right.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=126443&pagenumber=24#post520232509

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Angrymog posted:

Which are the best Conan RPG books?

Crush Your Enemies, See Them Driven Before You, and Hear the Lamentations of Their Women

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Leperflesh posted:

One thing that a number of RPG publishers have figured out over the year is that spending money on editing does not result in increased sales. Spending money on art and licensing does.
Pick up an old (1990s) issue of White Dwarf (WH40K in-house magazine), and the "pg. xx"s will outnumber the actual page references, half of which were incorrect anyway. This obviously played a key role in the decline and fall of Games Workshop and its relegation to the gaming graveyard.

(If there are fewer "pg. xx"s and/or incorrect references today, I'm willing to bet the sole reason is better word processing and typesetting software, not a pound more spent on copy editing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doctor Zero posted:

A Horta is a playable race in TOS? LOL
Someone's a fan of Diane Duane