Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've been backing Modiphius projects on Kickstarter since Achtung! Cthulhu. The company is cool and the games are interesting. I'll do a breakdown on Mutant Chronicles sometime this week.

Sounds great! I would love to read this. In particular I'm interested in the lore and what parts are differ from Warhammer 40K lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks very much for the write up. I remember playing the Doomtrooper card game from years back and that was my first introduction to the Mutant Chronicles.

Did they ever get into whether Cybertron was humanity's technological salvation or just a tool of the Dark Symmetry? The Dark Apostles always felt like the 40K Chaos gods to me. Do they go further to differentiate them? Does this edition go into Doomtroopers or the blighted Earth at all?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Been reading DUNE 2d20 from Modiphius.

The physical book/pdf is gorgeous. First 80 pages or so are backstory to the DUNE universe from the first 6 Frank Herbert Dune books up to the events where the Atreides take over Arrakis. Its a great supplement to the movie and goes over how the Atreides gained the critical eye of the Emperor, and the anti-thinking machine and robot crusade (Butlerian Jihad) that occurred centuries ago. Then it goes into creating a Noble House from which you create your characters. The management of said Noble House is coming in future supplements. But the thrust is that this is communal worldbuilding so all players work together and create characters that do so.

Really solid so far. I have yet to get to the mechanics.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mellonbread posted:

The bulk of the lore in the Dune 2D20 is taken from the Brian Herbert prequels rather than the original six novels. The biggest offender is the interpretation of the Great Revolt as a war against killer robot terminators (called "Cymeks" in the prequels) rather than a struggle against humans with machines and the "machine attitude" from Frank Herbert's work.

Interesting. I haven't read Brian Herber's works so I was not able to make the connection of how much lore was taken from his books.

You are correct. If I had perused the Dune wiki about Cymeks I would have found this: "Cymeks are never mentioned by Frank Herbert in his original Dune novels. They are the creation of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, and feature prominently in their Legends of Dune and Great Schools of Dune trilogies of novels."

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Cymek

So the wiki may be useful in supplementing my (old) memories of Frank Herbert's books.

Leperflesh posted:

There's some of that communal faction-building in Conan the King, I wonder if they're re-using some of those rules for Dune.

What book has these rules? I'd love to know because I'm updating a list I made with Something Awful traditional game's help about base building, domain management, or organization building rules in RPGs.

The full list is long and here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

The Noble House building rules are in Chapter 3 (I'm not finished totally with reading the book keep in mind). The House construction rules consist of choosing: your House type (nascent, minor, major or great), your House's Domain (a specialty in an area of business or produce that is important to the Imperium), your Homeworld's description, House banner and arms, and House traits.

House traits are interesting because "If a player spends 1 Momentum, they may apply one of the House traits to their character for the remainder of the scene. They may do this as often as they wish to spend Momentum, for as many of the House traits as they like."

mellonbread has a writeup example of House creation but I can't seem to find the link at the moment.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.modiphius.net/en-us/products/conan-the-king
Conan the King is a supplement for the Conan game.

Does any of this stuff pique your interest?

Yes, definitely. I really appreciate the detailed writeup. Even though you said these rules are not extensive or complex, I think they are more than sufficient for "rules light" people looking for Kingdom Management and Factional struggles guidance.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Admiral Snackbar posted:

On another note, does anyone find that players coming from D&D can't help but approach every drat thing as though they're still in that game?

Yes, in my experience this is pretty common. I sure some else would have a better solution for you than just time for the player and growing familiarity with the system.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

There is a lot going on in the Cohors Cthulhu announcement and in my view Modiphius buried the lead.

https://www.modiphius.net/pages/cohors-cthulhu

At the very bottom before the teaser video it says...

quote:

-A cinematic RPG driven by the 2d20 system also seen in Modiphius’ Dune, Star Trek Adventures, Dishonored, and Fallout roleplaying games. This is based on the Achtung! Cthulhu edition of 2d20 and will feature systems to help you get playing the moment you open the book.

-A narrative wargame designed to be playable solo and cooperatively. The game will also get you on the table playing from page one, while a campaign will unveil the full story of this epic hidden war.

-A complete miniatures line (scaled for 28mm to be compatible with other major historical lines) will provide plenty of heroes, creatures, and strange factions battling for the ancient world.

-A fiction series including a complete COHORS CTHULHU novel and an anthology of short stories following the exploits of a host of characters seen throughout the products.

Now if there is going to be a wargame, narrative or not, I wonder how much of the "personal horror" that other Mythos derived lines focus on will be lost. Maybe the 2d20 system will be built around cosmic horror, maybe it will be more pulp adventure. Given the Modiphius blurb says "A cinematic RPG" and basing it on the Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 chassis I think it will be more of a pulp adventure game than a gripping story of personal/cosmic horror. But there is ample space in the roleplaying ecosystem for that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Anybody else in the COHORS Cthulhu playtest? I really like what I see so far.

What are you seeing that you like, that you can talk about? I'm already halfway down to purchasing it sight unseen because it is Cthulhu vs the Ancient World peoples rpg with supposedly a wargame on the way and STL files for both sides if I am remembering right.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mellonbread posted:

Does the Fallout 2d20 have any guidance for taking a city/region and developing a post apocalyptic version of it? I want to check out the game but I don't have any interest in the Fallout 4 setting.

I can't speak to Fallout 2d20 having any ideas for making your own post apocalypse, because I haven't read it. However, Modiphius' other post apocalyptic offering Mutant Year Zero has chapters 11-15 devoted to ideas and tables for populating your own post apocalyptic Zone map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The expected Conan PDF fire sale is on. 90% off the "get everything" bundle, and the individual products are 50% off.

This is outstanding. Thanks for linking it.