Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CitizenKeen posted:

I mean, I wouldn't build it as a generic system. I don't think they sell it as that, either.

The SRD reads like the Cortex Handbook (though with stronger defaults). "Here's how you build your genre-specific version of 2d20."

The SRD is the generic core rule book

The SRD posted:

This System Resource Document serves is to serve as a central reference for the “core” of the 2D20 System, as well as several common genre-specific modifications, to be used both internally by Modiphius writers and designers, and externally by licensees and affiliates. It will also serve as the basis for a setting-neutral Core Rulebook.

I’ve never played a 2D20 game but I have Fallout and Star Trek and they both look great. Seems like the perfect system to give the feel of a TV show or movie. I also like how the players can do things to make success probable but then will have to deal with the consequences. I mean that’s RPG gold right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Not a d20 game, but Modiphius announced a Mass Effect board game. Can an RPG be that far behind?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Admiralty Flag posted:

This obviously played a key role in the decline and fall of Games Workshop and its relegation to the gaming graveyard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Someone sell or unsell me on Captain's Log. Seems like it might be good for playing duo with my daughter.

Captain's Log is fantastic. I haven't actually played STA, but it's supposed to be a streamlined version of it. I've solo played one episode and it gave me more of a 'real episode of Star Trek' feel than anything I've ever played / seen, and I've been playing since FASA came out with their system.

The scene structure works perfectly. The characters and ship stats give you the right amount of characterization vs crunch balance. The mission generators give you interesting prompts without being too prescriptive, although you'll have to curate a bit to make sure you have missions that make sense (like don't have 3 planetary epidemics in a row). The planet and race creation is a good foundation, although you might want to revise the charts a bit. (I made adjustments and new charts to give humanoid races various face and forehead ridges LOL).

I can't speak for playing with two people, but it seems like a great collaborative system.

There are a few warts. Some book editing issues, natch. The order of the chapters building your character is strange (you start building your character before determining the race). The biggest issue is the time era race charts are way out of whack. Humans are only 1/20 in the charts so you almost always get an alien race. You may like that but it doesn't feel very TV Star Trek. The charts really need to be rebuilt. Why are Tholians a playable race in the TOS era but Andorian's aren't? Why are Gorn and Romulans playable in the Enterprise era? They hadn't even been seen yet. A Horta is a playable race in TOS? LOL They have Doopler as an option for TNG (good luck playing a Doopler I guess) and they also have Pakled (:laffo:) Jem'Hadar, and Kazon. :wtc:

Anyway, you'll be best picking what you want or making new tables.

There are ship charts that include Picard and Discovery eras, but no race tables. :shrug: The STA supplements like the Utopia Planetia are totally usable. I haven't gotten to ship combat yet, but the ships seem a little fragile and shields are mentioned in ship Talents, but aren't mentioned in the 3 pages of ship combat rules so :iiam:. I don't know how that is in STA, but I'm probably going to home-brew overhaul ship combat when I get to an episode that calls for it.

Regardless, it's a great framework, especially for Solo play and you can always :techno: away any issues you might run into.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 16, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

does the game seriously refer to alien species as "races"?

That's me slipping into fantasy RPG terminology. :shobon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh hey they have that post-ENT uniform from Beyond.

Edit: or wait it’s the 32nd century uniform from Discovery? I was wondering why Discovery wasn’t represented.

Hmm. You're right, that does look like the future Disco uniform. Maybe they finally got the rights? Or maybe just permission to use the uniform style? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

If anyone is interested, there's a Humble Bundle pack for Modiphius's Fallout Wasteland Warfare. All of that should be perfectly usable in the 2d20 game. There are a ton of 3d printing files. I've gotten some of these before and they are really good quality. They also update them quite often, which is nearly unheard of in the miniatures 3d printing world.

https://www.humblebundle.com/fallout-rpg-and-3d-miniatures-modiphius-encore-2024-books

Disclaimer: I got the bundle, but I have no stake in it.