Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Inkspot posted:

I'd like to play Star Trek, but as the only person in our group with any interest in Star Trek, it's more likely I'll end up running it. Oh well.

I picked up the Star Trek set on Humble Bundle a couple of months ago. I really like the system even though the books are not layed out well. It sounds like that's a common problem with Modiphius books - all the information you need is definitely in there, but the organization is pretty inefficient and, at least in Star Trek's case, the index is not very helpful at all. I think the system is actually pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it, and the game really feels like Star Trek, but it takes several sessions to really grasp what the system is since it's spread all over a 300+ page book and not really concisely presented anywhere other than the DM screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

I've been running a Conan game for a few months now and really love the Gamemaster's Toolkit for coming up with new adventures. I'm about to begin a Star Trek Adventures campaign and I was wondering, is there anything similar for STA? I like the mission briefs that Modiphius has put out, but I'd really love to get better at coming up with my own storylines. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that coming up with an interesting Star Trek plot is more complicated than coming up with a brutal Conan plot...

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah I was looking at those. I think I might wait until they have the PDFs available on their own though - I have soooo many books already...

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

There's an official Modiphius Discord channel now:

https://discord.gg/vqTpBhyvVc

They say this is a soft launch, so there will be more channels in the not-too-distant future.

On another note, does anyone find that players coming from D&D can't help but approach every drat thing as though they're still in that game? I have a guy who's trying to make a melee sorcerer in Conan as though he's playing a Paladin or something. He couldn't figure out why all his attempts have come out crappy, and I told him he's maxing out the two attributes with the fewest number of skills (Brawn and Willpower) while his Personality and Awareness are both 6, so of course the character is going to be lackluster, but I haven't been able to break him out of this mindset...

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

I had another long conversation with him, including pointing out that the group's current fightiest character has been super successful even with only having a Brawn of 9. I also really stressed how important using Momentum and Doom are to increasing success. For example, he had upped his Brawn to 11 to gain additional damage dice, and I showed him how he would be guaranteed to add damage by spending Momentum, as opposed to gaining damage dice which only gives you an extra chance at damage. Fortunately, the fighter player ended up joining the conversation and reinforced many of my points. The sorcerer has respecced his guy to be much less min-maxy, and I think he'll have fun with what he has put together now.

The major disconnect I see between 2d20 games and D&D is that 2d20 really prioritizes narrative over simulation, as far as I've seen anyway. It seems like D&D players are constantly looking for the optimal solution to any given situation, whereas Conan really encourages you to try doing ridiculous stuff for the sake of narrative awesomeness and still be consistently successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

AFAIK Monolith is working on a new RPG now that they have the license. There's a Discord channel where one of the developers has been talking about it here.