Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

i wish eating didnt have consequences

theres so many different ways to enjoy a hamburger...

Hamburgers, like pizza, are fun in how you can just go wild and apply any crazy idea you have and it’ll probably come out at least ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My favorite go-to hot sauce is still Frank's. i PuT tHaT poo poo oN eVeRyThInG

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I bought a bottle of Tabasco scorpion. How do I use this sauce? It’s too hot to just slather on a hotdog or burrito, but it’s not hot enough to spice up an entire pot of stew or whatever.

Also I’ve only eaten 4 drops of it in the past 24 hours and now my hemorrhoids have come back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I bought a bottle of Tabasco scorpion. How do I use this sauce? It’s too hot to just slather on a hotdog or burrito, but it’s not hot enough to spice up an entire pot of stew or whatever.

Also I’ve only eaten 4 drops of it in the past 24 hours and now my hemorrhoids have come back.

If you have Frank's, Crystal, any of the "warm" sauces, try adding a bit in a bowl, then stirring it together and using it to kick up some of the other sauces up a notch.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You should slather it on your balls.

What? Why the hell would I do that? Well, I guess if you say so.

i don’t got those sauces, just el yucateco red and scorpion tabasco thanks to my local Mexican grocery remaining closed for the time being

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 19, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Add it to poo poo, dude.

You know, like...a sauce.
You ever make ramen? Put it in the ramen.
Ever make a tv dinner? Put it in that.

Ever make pasta? Done.

Like ugly said, add it to other sauces or salsa and stir. Put it in left overs. Put it everywhere. Rub your nipples off with sandpaper and as you're wrapping up start working the sauce into the wounds. Really give 'er. That kinda thing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Add it to poo poo, dude.

You know, like...a sauce.
You ever make ramen? Put it in the ramen.
Ever make a tv dinner? Put it in that.

Ever make pasta? Done.

Like ugly said, add it to other sauces or salsa and stir. Put it in left overs. Put it everywhere. Rub your nipples off with sandpaper and as you're wrapping up start working the sauce into the wounds. Really give 'er. That kinda thing.

That’s what I’ve been doing so far. Added it to macaroni and a grilled cheese. Didn’t add enough. Still suffered for it. Will add much more next time.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Do they sell that everywhere? I haven’t looked at Tabasco stuff in ages and had no idea they made that

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Do they sell that everywhere? I haven’t looked at Tabasco stuff in ages and had no idea they made that

Amazon does sell everywhere, as far as I know.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I stick a 20 gauge sounding rod in my peehole and dump the hot sauce down there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dear Watson posted:

tabasco has some stuff that doesn't make it into basic grocery stores, some of it quite good. I like this one.

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I stick a 20 gauge sounding rod in my peehole and dump the hot sauce down there.

I stick a 20 gauge shotgun barrel in my peehole with vx nerve gas as lubricant and pull the trigger. It’s got a clean but savory flavor with plenty of bite, I recommend adding it to barbecue finishing sauces.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I stick a 20 gauge shotgun barrel in my peehole with vx nerve gas as lubricant and pull the trigger. It’s got a clean but savory flavor with plenty of bite, I recommend adding it to barbecue finishing sauces.

drat you got the goatse of peeholes

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

tabasco has some stuff that doesn't make it into basic grocery stores, some of it quite good. I like this one.

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/

I like that the landing page for that link right now is a fathers day gift idea page where the main item is a leather-wrapped tabasco themed booze flask with the words "EVERY DROP COUNTS" on it.

"Everything about this reminded me of you, father. Here."

e:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pain is good habanero sauce is p good on breakfast sandwiches.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there some kind of Hot Sauce Committee that can make a ruling on the good ones? I understand if it has to be broken into two parts and the second one never comes out.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is a great page on hot sauces by Kenji Lopez-Alt:

The Food Lab's Top 30 Hot Sauces, in No Particular Order

I made a really great mac and cheese with Pickapeppa Sauce a while back, I should try that again. Also I keep looking for that Formosa sauce locally but no joy so far.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

he has a great YouTube channel too

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Food Lab's Top 30 Hot Sauces, in No Particular Order

I made a really great mac and cheese with Pickapeppa Sauce a while back, I should try that again. Also I keep looking for that Formosa sauce locally but no joy so far.

I added the ginger habanero hot sauce I linked on the first page to mac and cheese and it was the loving best combo ever omg

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
Nando's sauces pretty much cover all my hot sauce needs on a day to day basis, from mild to pretty drat hot

Sure, their hottest sauces don't compete with the latest Deathmaster 5000 Ultra edition or whatever, but they hit the spot for me

Especially once chicken is involved. Anyone who has hit up a Nando's before knows what I am talking about.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Porki (https://delimexico.com/categories-2/sauces-2/salsa-picante-de-chile-de-arbol-porki-370ml/. It was easily my favorite while they sold it at the local grocery store. However, it seems like it doesn't exist much on the internet, so maybe it's been discontinued?

Otherwise, my go to is sriracha/valentina. If you live in Minneapolis and have not tried the hot sauce from Harry Singh's, I highly recommend it! It's really spicy and flavorful, he sells it to-go.

Also, I bought https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/piragis/hot-sauce-gift-pack-165092 the last time I was in Ely and I am pleasantly surprised. Nothing super spicy, but really flavorful (without being vinegar based).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 22, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got some Cutino Chipotle for fathers day, I've heard lots of great stuff about it.

My usual sauces are Aardvark Habanero and El Yucateco Red, with El Yucateco Black for steaks/burgers (I absolutely take it with me if I eat somewhere like Texas Roadhouse). For being readily available at Walmart, El Yucateco makes some killer stuff. I rank it waaay above the usual tapatio/cholula/frank's.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 22, 2020

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

BlueBull posted:

Nando's sauces pretty much cover all my hot sauce needs on a day to day basis, from mild to pretty drat hot

Sure, their hottest sauces don't compete with the latest Deathmaster 5000 Ultra edition or whatever, but they hit the spot for me

Especially once chicken is involved. Anyone who has hit up a Nando's before knows what I am talking about.

You talking the Vasu sauce? I'll admit I walked in there pretty cocky, seeing as I was in the Land That Flavor Forgot. That Vasu sauce knocked me on my rear end.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It is salsa verde with avocado and the medium is a fair bit hotter than something like Cholula or Valentina black label.

It is DELICIOUS

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Potential BFF posted:

It is salsa verde with avocado and the medium is a fair bit hotter than something like Cholula or Valentina black label.

It is DELICIOUS

I can't stand avocado but their canned queso blanco is really good

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Potential BFF posted:

It is DELICIOUS

Maybe I should try that. I'm always a little sketched out by Herdez products because of artificial colors.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

That guac sauce is drat good but it is loaded in salt

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
yeah I was never very impressed by herdez stuff. would try that guac salsa though

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Spoiler alert: don't expect a hot sauce or guacamole. It is some kind of unholy, salty as gently caress avocado sauce

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

You talking the Vasu sauce? I'll admit I walked in there pretty cocky, seeing as I was in the Land That Flavor Forgot. That Vasu sauce knocked me on my rear end.

I haven't actually tried the Vusa sauce as it's not available in South Africa funnily enough, but I assume it's comparable to the XX Hot sauce here which is indeed pretty drat hot, although still not comparable to some of the poo poo people have posted in this tread made from extracts etc

Anyway, at home I use the XX Hot sauce for my food, but if I go eat in-store I dial that down to Extra or even plain Hot, as they use a ton more sauce than I would and it becomes a bit too much to handle.

Their range is actually pretty good for people who want to work on their ability to eat hot sauces. My (now 9 yr old) daughter started with the lemon & herb some time back and keeps gradually upgrading onto hotter sauces, although she is a little stuck on the Hot one now.

Obviously Nando's aren't the only hot sauces I use, for example they don't work that well for marinading prawns, but unlike some obscure sauces only available down here, Nandos is at least internationally available.

Edit: Also, there some dishes I make which specifically require Sambal Oelek to work, it's the weirdest thing that I cannot substitute any other sauce and enjoy the food. And it's not indonesian type dishes either but rather some homegrown spicy bacon noodles etc

BlueBull fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 22, 2020

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Did this guy die?

I'm still here my friend! but I didn't crack this bottle yet. I picked up some Cholua chili garlic people kept mentioning and I've been using that a lot which is great. I need to make some chili or something for the Blair's stuff.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hello thread,

My favorite hot sauce is Yellowbird Serrano. You should try it!

Secret Aardvark habanero take: very good, I like it on chicken tenders, though some of the magic was lost around the second container I bought.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hello thread,

Secret Aardvark habanero take: very good, I like it on chicken tenders, though some of the magic was lost around the second container I bought.

i've noticed this with a lot of more interesting hot sauces. if i use it enough to buy multiple bottles i inevitably get sick of it before running out.

the only exceptions to this are the basics, like Frank's and Tabasco

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hello thread,

i think you just need more variety and shake things up, but yeah that's somewhat common. i've got like 12 bottles of stuff in my fridge now and like to cycle through each one. imo secret aardvark is closer to "spicy hot-sauce ketchup" as a condiment-- more like a sriracha than a hot sauce if that makes sense. it's good, but it's good because its kind of thick and you can use a lot of it and it's not very spicy and widely adaptable to a variety of foods. it's also good because it's cheap for the size of the bottle (relatively speaking) and widely available, but it's definitely not close to the best, just really good what for it is and price/availability.

i am enjoying the bottle of yellowbird serrano i got, but it's not for everything.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bump

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I ran across Melinda’s Green Sauce recently and while it’s hardly spicy, it’s super tasty. They classify it as a condiment for some reason but I use it like any other hot sauce.

Also this is my current lineup

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Every hot sauce is a condiment. E: shout-out to yellowbird serrano condiment, a really good mid-heat green sauce

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Kalit posted:

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Porki (https://delimexico.com/categories-2/sauces-2/salsa-picante-de-chile-de-arbol-porki-370ml/. It was easily my favorite while they sold it at the local grocery store. However, it seems like it doesn't exist much on the internet, so maybe it's been discontinued?

Otherwise, my go to is sriracha/valentina. If you live in Minneapolis and have not tried the hot sauce from Harry Singh's, I highly recommend it! It's really spicy and flavorful, he sells it to-go.

Also, I bought https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/piragis/hot-sauce-gift-pack-165092 the last time I was in Ely and I am pleasantly surprised. Nothing super spicy, but really flavorful (without being vinegar based).

Love singhs. The habenero sauce is my favorite

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've settled on el yucateco black and crystal for my hot sauce purchases. They're cheap and the store I shop at has a weak selection overall so its slim pickins. used to get valentino but they don't carry it and the el yucateco black is solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mean, Prime offers them for grocery store prices and free shipping, so like, just try whatever you want?