Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also is it possible to get physically hosed up from hot sauce? Like if you just downed a whole bottle of the hottest hot sauce on the planet. Could you get a bloody ulcer from it or something or is it all in the mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Also is it possible to get physically hosed up from hot sauce? Like if you just downed a whole bottle of the hottest hot sauce on the planet. Could you get a bloody ulcer from it or something or is it all in the mind?

splash it in a hot frying pan amigo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

splash it in a hot frying pan amigo

I'm no hot sauce puss, I was just curious if hot sauce could actually physically damage a person

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Where do you buy these delicious hot sauces? Online? Isn't shipping stupidly expensive? I never see poo poo like this in supermarkets anywhere.

literally just hotsauce.com lol I've ordered from them multiple times in the past and they're legit. Shipping isn't horrible but obviously becomes more economical if you buy more bottles. Each bottle was individually wrapped in foam packing material before being put in the mailer.

Their website is deliciously early 00s too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It can kill you in theory but you would poo poo and piss yourself and pass out before you had a chance to OD

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

literally just hotsauce.com lol I've ordered from them multiple times in the past and they're legit. Shipping isn't horrible but obviously becomes more economical if you buy more bottles. Each bottle was individually wrapped in foam packing material before being put in the mailer.

cool thanks

Also it always made me laugh that hot sauce will literally make you begin to perspire despite the fact that there's no actual literal "heat" involved

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Not sure if death would happen, but all I can think of is horrible pain. Terrible... pain.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

cool thanks

Also it always made me laugh that hot sauce will literally make you begin to perspire despite the fact that there's no actual literal "heat" involved

sure, if you're so SPICED UP that you can't breath you can pass out or maybe give yourself some ulcers

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've heard that a lot of the regions that have hot climates tend towards spicy food specifically due to the fact that it makes them sweat.

I understand that this is probably well known information but this is a new thread so I thought I'd say it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

There's a fairly active hot sauce thread in GWS that I was just about to post in, but I'll double up here. I bought some hot sauce and just got it in today. My swag:

Dave's Gourmet Hurtin' Habanero. Super tasty, but not too hot. Don't let the name fool you; my wife likes this one and she doesn't do hot food.

Orange Krush. Probably my all time favorite hot sauce overall. A definite step up in heat from Dave's but with a great fruity/tangy flavor.

And because I was curious and have watched too much hot ones:

Da Bomb. I stuck my finger in the cap and got a little to put on my tongue and this stuff is no joke. That tiny fingertip lit me up for a solid few minutes. I'll get brave and try a bigger dose at some point. A lot of people complain about the taste but I thought it was fine.

I've had sauces rated hotter than it to mixed results but the one thing I've consistently heard about the bomb is it just tastes like total poo poo and tries to cover that with heat. Not sure if it's too hot to handle a generous serving you can taste but I'm curious on that.

For me Melinda and gringo bandito are my prefered brands. They got variants with hot peppers in it but it's still usable as a condiment if you like spicy things. Melindas is great with the habernero stuff and great with ghost peppers, it's clearly not trying to use scoville as a gimmick.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My favorite hot sauces lately are Polar Sriracha (like sriracha but with more heat), Yellowbird Serrano (tangy and unique green sauce, not that spicy but delicious), and Aardvark Habanero (the most amazing blend of sweetness and excellent heat).

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
We really like Torchbearers Garlic Reaper in our house. I’d say it’s my favorite

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've heard that a lot of the regions that have hot climates tend towards spicy food specifically due to the fact that it makes them sweat.

I understand that this is probably well known information but this is a new thread so I thought I'd say it.

I never thought of that. I honestly just figured they were immune to "heat" since they live in such a hot climate so some hot sauce isn't anything to them.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hot sauces are the best, there is a ton of variety and every bottle is an adventure

I forgot another sauce I had in the past that I loved, there was a small time company I found called Red Hawk Peppers, you had to order by sending the guy an email with what you wanted and your address and you'd paypal him money.

Anyway I bought two sauces from him, the first was called Grounds For Divorce XXX which was solid but nothing too different, but the other was a blueberry/banana based sauce that was really really good on ice cream. I know hot sauce on ice cream sounds weird but it had a whole sweet heat thing I've never found in another sauce.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also this made me lol

Most law enforcement grade pepper spray,[20][21][a] Trinidad Moruga Scorpion[22], Pepper X,[23] Carolina Reaper,[24] Dragon's Breath[25]

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Something I feel should be mentioned about scoville units is that many people seem to ignore quantity of the sauce when discussing it.

Adding a drop or two of 500k scoville does add some heat yeah, but compared to adding a liberal shake or even a full on squirt of more mundane stuff it's really not much. Those spicy noodles the internet freaked out over were 4k and 8k respectively, which seems super low (like jalapeno level heat) but you gotta consider that the finished product is just a giant bowl rated at that level. If you were starting with plain water and some ghost pepper sauces you'd be adding like a quarter of the bottle.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

also this made me lol

Most law enforcement grade pepper spray,[20][21][a] Trinidad Moruga Scorpion[22], Pepper X,[23] Carolina Reaper,[24] Dragon's Breath[25]

eating hot sauce to build your capsaicin tolerance is praxis

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've seen a few episodes of the Hot Ones game show (its really bad) and theres definitely people puking a lot from the heat. At least one lady had to straight up leave the set after the medics looked at her

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I have some spicy man sauce for any good looking ladies or acceptable looking gentlemen.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

How spicy we talkin here

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

AuntBuck posted:

How spicy we talkin here

Very, limited batch.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
This is a thing:
https://www.greenbellyfoods.com/

The red sauce is good, but the green sauce is loving sublime. Especially with any rice based dishes. I have that hosed up genetic thing where Cilantro tastes like poo poo, and this is still the best sauce ever. So loving good.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Very, limited batch.

That's the stuff. Will it fit through a mail slot?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Tapatio is my favorite.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tabasco brand pepper sauce is the only hot sauce you need, friends.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

AuntBuck posted:

How spicy we talkin here

Burns for weeks maybe even months!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Where do you buy these delicious hot sauces? Online? Isn't shipping stupidly expensive? I never see poo poo like this in supermarkets anywhere.
i know the guy that runs this store, he's a great dude. it used to be next to my apt and i used to just pop in and taste and buy stuff; sadly he moved and focused ona bigger place to do online orders instead of a store front, which makes sense. it's a good place to buy stuff https://heathotsauce.com/

my favorite cheap go-to all purpose hot sauce is Secret Aardvark (haberano one, the other flavors are trash), poo poo is actually fairly widely available

lucky dog is my favorite local brand made here in the bay area. they have a ton of flavors and just depends on what you want, but cna't go wrong with like dia del perro https://heathotsauce.com/collections/lucky-dog-hot-sauce

born to hula is a good brand and i really like this one, it is spicy though but has an actual flavor profile to it that isn't just "capsican + vinegar + salt". extract poo poo like mad dog or da bomb are just dickwaving trash

queens majesty scotch bonet and ginger is indeed good.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

realbez posted:

Tabasco brand pepper sauce is the only hot sauce you need, friends.

i live in EUROPE and MY WIFE makes me order texas pete from strange import websites for like €20 a bottle.

also fun fact there is no such thing as spicy food or sauce in spain

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I have a bottle of naga chili hot sauce and it tastes great but is an ordeal to eat

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Standard vinegar sauces don't really do it for me but I use a lot of yellowbird serrano condiment and secret aardvark hab sauce for my green/red needs respectively

e: these are both firmly mid-spectrum heatwise with really good flavor so you can go hot with them if you want but it's not automatically a hot sauce event every time you splash some on something

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 2, 2020

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like tobasco and also crystal. I used to like tapatio a whole lot back in college but I started drenching every thing I ate in it and now I don't like it anymore because I went so overboard

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I like spicy foods going in my mouth but cant stand what they do to my butthole. Are some people just immune to that?

The secret to protecting your butthole from hot sauce is a BIDET. Buy the kind that you install under your toilet seat and you're golden. Just be careful about the rush of steam as the initial stream of water vaporizes against your butthole.

An alternative option is to pee into your own butthole. Environmentally friendly and as an added benefit you can adjust the stream intensity to your liking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Heatonist is good for hot sauces. I do their monthly box of 3 sauces for 36 bucks after shipping and I’ve found some delightful ones that way.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate HEAT HEAT HEAT. At least put some flavor into that poo poo. Like some sauces throw capsaicin in it just to make it hot. That's cheap as poo poo. That's like throwing jump scares into horror movies. Anyone can do that.

Extract sauces universally taste like rear end and are just fully a gimmick of millions of scovilles. There’s a ton of superhots out there with incredible flavor but unless you have really good tolerance for heat you likely won’t notice. The Last Dab sauces have an almost curry thing going on that I like, and Io Thor’s Hammer hits with a huge amount of black pepper flavor, but I could never tell someone to just go and try them because it would just be pain sauce to them. Even pepper x sauces don’t jack me up anymore, but I’ve been eating really spicy stuff since I was ten.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

poverty goat posted:

Standard vinegar sauces don't really do it for me but I use a lot of yellowbird serrano condiment and secret aardvark hab sauce for my green/red needs respectively

e: these are both firmly mid-spectrum heatwise with really good flavor so you can go hot with them if you want but it's not automatically a hot sauce event every time you splash some on something
:agreed: i really don't like vinegary sauces anymore. some of it's ok on creole food and such, but otherwise ehh. cue someone kramering in "but tabasco is good on eggs!!!". no loving poo poo, everything is loving good on eggs

secret aardvark is just incredible for it's price too. it's really a good flavor and mild to mid at most, tho ofc you can go overboard if you really want to. would highly recommend for someone looking for 'flavorful with some heat but not overly spicy'. speaking of which i just ran out and need to buy some more.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Extract sauces universally taste like rear end and are just fully a gimmick of millions of scovilles. There’s a ton of superhots out there with incredible flavor but unless you have really good tolerance for heat you likely won’t notice. The Last Dab sauces have an almost curry thing going on that I like, and Io Thor’s Hammer hits with a huge amount of black pepper flavor, but I could never tell someone to just go and try them because it would just be pain sauce to them. Even pepper x sauces don’t jack me up anymore, but I’ve been eating really spicy stuff since I was ten.
yeah anything with extract and bragging about a bazillion trillion death scovilles is just trash to avoid unless you're doing some LA beast gimmicky poo poo for twitch or youtube.

this is maybe the spicest one i have in my fridge, it's really loving hot and I can only do a little bit without bhole of firey death, but it has actual nice flavor to it and isn't extract dickwaving. https://heathotsauce.com/products/devorandum-cherry-trinidad-scorpion

Ingredients: Scorpion Peppers, Reaper Peppers, Tart Cherries, Rice Vinegar, Tart Cherry Juice, Fresh Shallots, Port Wine, Orange Blossom Honey, Pure Cane Sugar Syrup, Dried Cherries (cherries, sugar, citric acid), Fresh Lemon Juice, Sea Salt, Fresh Orange Juice, Black Lampong Peppercorn.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

this is maybe the spicest one i have in my fridge, it's really loving hot and I can only do a little bit without bhole of firey death, but it has actual nice flavor to it and isn't extract dickwaving. https://heathotsauce.com/products/devorandum-cherry-trinidad-scorpion

Check out Fiya! Fiya! Fiya! by Adoboloco if you like that one, it’s another scorpion chili sauce. It has a really nice smoky flavor to it that goes well with a lot of food. Great in chili in particular.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Check out Fiya! Fiya! Fiya! by Adoboloco if you like that one, it’s another scorpion chili sauce. It has a really nice smoky flavor to it that goes well with a lot of food. Great in chili in particular.

cool, will do, thanks for the rec. I need to make another purchase soon, just waiting for some things to come back in stock and do it all at once, seems like inventory is kind of hosed up for the moment. I like it a lot, but it's also pushing pretty much the upper-bound of my acceptable level of heat so I don't use it very often. Is that one spicier or about the same or less?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Does anyone have a good Peri Perri sauce recs? I bought this one and while it's pretty great and went well with a lot of things, probably one of the better ones I've had outside off a restaurant, I feel like there's room for improvement and as much as I like buying new sauces, its kind of expensive to just buy things on a whim and end up not liking them.

that's sort of the hot sauce problem is there's a lot of new ones constantly, many of which are great, many of which are not, and it's all sort of pricy pushing about $8-$15 for a somewhat small bottle and hard to justify risking new purchases on a whim when the only flavors you might get out of one is salt+vinegar+capsican. that's partly why I was sad when the dude moved away from having a storefront because it was great to walk in and taste dozens of things constantly and find out what works and what doesn't for free. turns out a lot of amazing sounding sauces were actually not even a fraction as good as I thought they would be, but also y'know taste is subjective and all.

(don't even mention nandos, poo poo tasted like vinegar trash when i tried it while working in NZ)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 2, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

cool, will do, thanks for the rec. I need to make another purchase soon, just waiting for some things to come back in stock and do it all at once, seems like inventory is kind of hosed up for the moment. I like it a lot, but it's also pushing pretty much the upper-bound of my acceptable level of heat so I don't use it very often. Is that one spicier or about the same or less?

Couldn’t really give you an idea of relative heat levels, my sense of what’s hot or not for most people is completely busted. Even if it’s a bit much for you, it’s great for adding to some vinegar-based sauce, stirring in some melted butter or olive oil, and brushing on chicken before it goes in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Vinegar based hot sauces are generally gross and taste cheap, Franks, Tabasco etc.

Tomato and Chili based ones like Sriracha and the like are way better.