Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Khizan posted:

My advice would be the exact opposite. It's too easy to get distracted on a phone. Physical books or a non-tablet e-reader like a Paperwhite are better for making yourself read, because all you can do with them is read.

I say just take a book you want to read and remove the distractions. If you want to read in bed then leave the phone across the room and put the TV remote in the other room and whatnot. Make anything other than reading take extra steps.

I feel like I know what this post is about, but the core content, and how it relates to the OP is lost a little on me. Being at home frequently makes reading more difficult for me. The last decade or so the vast majority of the reading I've accomplished is at work, on break. Sometimes, especially when I'm in the home stretch of the book, I'll bring it home with me over a weekend or something and finish it so I can bring a new one to read on break. At certain points in my life keeping a book in the car has been a lifesaver. While rush hour traffic is hard to condone the sort of attention split reading suggests, I've had appreciable progress in longer drive through lines, pumping gas, arriving entirely too early to a job interview, etc. Just my two cents.

Good luck getting started reading your books shadowvine. I think it's important to consider how technology is changing our everyday lives. I'm a dead tree reader myself, but if it takes digital readers to read I can't object. Whatever it takes to get you reading, I think it's valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU