Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I like books, and there was a time in my life where I actually read them. These days, and by these days, I mean a fair number of years now, I haven't been able to get myself to read much of anything, let alone a full book. Yet, I keep buying them, hoping one day my ADD and procrastination will subside. Apparently, there's a term in Japanese for my affliction- Tsundoku.

I have a handful of books I bought within the last year that I literally piled next to be on my bed, but it always seems like I'm either too distracted, or to tired to read them before I go to sleep.

I don't want to live like this. I want to actually read some drat books. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get myself to actually start reading some of my book collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Well, it's about three years since I started the thread, but I finished a book! It took me about two months to finish, but I enjoyed it.
It took me a while to get back into the groove of immersing myself in a story, I'd have to take breaks in between, but I tried to at least read a whole chapter before I put the book down. I also would find myself on occasion reading without actually having payed attention to what was written, like reading on autopilot, and having to go back.

The book was A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine. I really enjoyed it, and already have the sequel, A Desolation Called Peace, I borrowed from the library. I'm hoping the set date I have to return it will encourage me to read more consistently.

I found that, when I'm at home, reading in my back porch really helped. So many public places are so noisy, it's like the world hates silence. Almost every place that you can just sit down and relax has loud music blaring. Thank God for libraries.

The particular book I read also kind of challenged my grasp of vocabulary. I can read at a high enough reading level, but I still had to look up some of the words, and that's when the author wasn't making up sci fi words or names, herself. When I was a teenager in the earlier 2000's, before smart phones, I asked my parents for a pocket electronic dictionary for this very purpose.

I also finished an audiobook from Audible. I got a free subscription with my airpods, and forgot to cancel it, so I bought a bunch of books with the points I accrued, since I didn't want the money I accidentally spent to be a waste. They're all Star Wars books.

Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully I can keep it up and enjoy the stack of unread books I've managed to collect over the years.