Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My advice would be the exact opposite. It's too easy to get distracted on a phone. Physical books or a non-tablet e-reader like a Paperwhite are better for making yourself read, because all you can do with them is read.

I say just take a book you want to read and remove the distractions. If you want to read in bed then leave the phone across the room and put the TV remote in the other room and whatnot. Make anything other than reading take extra steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rear end-penny posted:

I feel like I know what this post is about, but the core content, and how it relates to the OP is lost a little on me. Being at home frequently makes reading more difficult for me. The last decade or so the vast majority of the reading I've accomplished is at work, on break. Sometimes, especially when I'm in the home stretch of the book, I'll bring it home with me over a weekend or something and finish it so I can bring a new one to read on break. At certain points in my life keeping a book in the car has been a lifesaver. While rush hour traffic is hard to condone the sort of attention split reading suggests, I've had appreciable progress in longer drive through lines, pumping gas, arriving entirely too early to a job interview, etc. Just my two cents.

What I got from his question was less "How do I make the time to read?" and more "How do I make myself spend my time on reading instead of on other things?" All the things you mentioned are great ways to get more reading time, and I do most of those myself, but they don't help me spend that time reading as opposed to loving around on my phone.

What really helps me sit down and read a book, as opposed to loving around on the forums or whatnot, is to set aside some time for reading and then take steps to make reading the most convenient option I have. I'm less likely to put my book down and gently caress around on my phone if my phone isn't next to the bed at night. That kind of thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

So I like books, I would always buy paperbacks but never read them. Same with ebooks. I'd buy them, read maybe a chapter on my phone and then never read it again.

Then I bought a Paperwhite and I actually enjoy reading again and am reading about a chapter a night. I really reccomend people buy a paperwhite if you're in a similiar situation. It might jsut be the new tech toy thing of "I want to use this and get my moneys worth" but hot drat does it make e-reading so so so so muc hbetter.

My guess is that it's because the only thing the Paperwhite does is read books. When I'm on my phone my attention has a lot of competition. General internet stuff, the forums, Discord, checking email, etc, etc. There's lots of things I do on my phone, and the same goes for my iPad.

The Kindle just reads books, so there's nothing to distract from reading.