Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Khizan posted:

My advice would be the exact opposite. It's too easy to get distracted on a phone. Physical books or a non-tablet e-reader like a Paperwhite are better for making yourself read, because all you can do with them is read.

I say just take a book you want to read and remove the distractions. If you want to read in bed then leave the phone across the room and put the TV remote in the other room and whatnot. Make anything other than reading take extra steps.

I found that these kinds of changes were good for me to change how I read. If I left my phone in my room and read elsewhere, I absorb much more while I read than if I have anything else I can check on me. I read paper and ebooks pretty interchangeably (I live in the middle of nowhere).

Maybe a piece of advice thats another angle is try a couple books. When I'm in a rut and keep dropping books, it's often because they are more challenging than I want to deal with at the time. I'll try something small or very accessible to kickstart me. Every now and then you'll hit the perfect book that'll suck you in and that usually gets me going for more afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

and don't forget reading is about enjoying a book not feeling any kind of pressure to have to do anything (unless it's assigned reading for school)