Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I love reading but I've hated short stories for as long as I can remember :thunk:

lol same here. I respect a lot of them but I think too many classes spent tearing apart shorts from the canon killed my enjoyment of anything shorter than a novella (and even then, except for The Body, I can't think of many novellas I'd recommend to a non-reader).

Re: reading - my suggestion is to take the range of advice here and find out what works best for you. Experimenting can be part of the fun, because once you find your own thing (or your variations on the things suggested in this thread), it's something you can claim as yours, and that makes you want to do it more. The times I've been able to instill a new habit have been the times I've taken advice but figured out the details and personal best practices on my own. Like the pride in figuring it out made me want to keep doing it, and by the time the pride was gone, I had the habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU