Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Don't try to dive into Tolstoy or Melville right off the bat. Start with something you enjoy, even if it's a guilty pleasure. Maybe re-read a favorite from your past, give it a look with a newer perspective. And learn to read in small, tiny doses! Fifteen minute break at work? Get a few pages in. Also there's nothing wrong with audiobooks. They're great. And remember, getting started is the hardest part.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's funny, I actually prefer older paperbacks specifically because the text is smaller and denser. It drives me crazy when I go to pick up a book hold at the library and it's a copy where the text is

printed like this with great big

margins and what could have

been a hundred page book is

now a massive floppy tome of

prose printed like a bad self-

published poetry collection.

The ones that really drive me crazy are the weirdly tall, thin paperbacks, because they're hard to read with one hand (topheavy but also the page to spine ratio is off so it doesn't hold itself open like a proportionally wider copy does).

This poo poo reminds me of when I was trying to stretch a college paper from 7 pages to 10. Sours me on the author / publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU