Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Does anyone have a link to that post that goon emailed out? I need like a brief couple bullets summarizing the reality of Delta. like. The virus is passed through the air. It can be caught within a second, outside or inside. Vaccinated asymptomatic just as infectious as unvaccinated. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

turd in my singlet posted:

lol @ june -> july

what's AY.3? e: google says it's a sub-variant of Delta lol

AYYY.3 LMAO

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

mistermojo posted:

it rules that if you look into almost any study you will find obvious flaws and oversights. no wonder half of them can't even be replicated

On of the main studies the CDC used as justification for dropping mask mandates was based on AZ nurses who wear highly effective masks and other PPE as well as being regularly tested for the study. Compared to the general public who would go on to using no interventions 'when vacinated'. Just lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
"We are excited to welcome your children back to school tomorrow. Unfortunately, this is shaping up to be another challenging school year, due to ongoing concerns about COVID-19 and diverse opinions on an appropriate response to this virus. By action of the state legislature GCS is no longer allowed to require facial coverings at school, but students have the freedom to utilize masks based on their family’s preference. It is important for you to know GCS will not tolerate anyone being bullied or teased because of their decision to wear or forego wearing a mask. Though we will be unable to fully social distance at all times this year, 3-feet of social distance will be maintained when possible, we will continue with enhanced air quality practices, students will be encouraged to wash hands frequently and cover coughs and sneezes, hand sanitizer is available throughout the school, and high touch surfaces in common areas will be cleaned throughout the day. Additionally, GCS will continue to follow DHEC requirements for quarantining staff and students who are close contacts with a COVID-positive individual. Vaccinated individuals and those who have had COVID and recovered in the last 90 days are not subject to quarantine unless they become symptomatic. We have posted a chart defining our process on quarantine based on DHEC guidance at here. For more information, visit https://www.greenville.k12.sc.us and click the orange COVID-19 button on the front page of the website."

All that effort posting for 1.5 weeks of class.

e:

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Aug 16, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

Does anyone have a link to that post that goon emailed out? I need like a brief couple bullets summarizing the reality of Delta. like. The virus is passed through the air. It can be caught within a second, outside or inside. Vaccinated asymptomatic just as infectious as unvaccinated. Etc.

that was me, hold for copy paste

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

New statistics came in this morning.

Turns out I'm 100% covid and cum. RIP in peace me.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Question for hf-803 respirator crew: do y'alls still cover the exhaley bit of the mask with a cloth of some kind? I'm not sure if that's the kind of mask that still lets you blow virus back on other people. If so, has anyone come up with an elegant solution?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hello friends,

Tonight I write to you out of concern for the XXXXXXX community as a whole, not just as a Science teacher, but also as a parent of young kids about to return to elementary school in our home district. As some of you may know, I have been carefully following the data emerging from the CoVID crisis since late 2019, out of the fear that it could result in the biggest social upheaval since WWII, which I believe it has done. Unfortunately it has also exceeded even my worst expectations due to a failure of social response systems at many levels, from local to national to global. The politics of this matter are not my concern, however, in composing this letter. Instead I will put on my Science Hat in order to clarify some VERY IMPORTANT THINGS that XXXXXX must consider going into the 2021-2022 school year, given the language that has already been put forward in XXXXXX communications about "CoVID being behind us", etc. (Please see the Citations section for links to primary sources.)

Briefly, the background here is the emergence of the Delta variant, already responsible for several million deaths in India and around the world. At the time I write this, the director of the CDC has just told Congress that Delta is responsible for 83% of the sequenced cases in the US as of July 20, which is “a dramatic increase" from 50% of cases that were tallied the week of July 3. In the scientific community, we call that "power-law" growth, which means it accelerates logarithmically -- the common use of "exponential" essentially means the same thing -- and by the end of the first week in August, that growth will be apparent in every population center nationwide. It's already happening in XXXXXXX County; just ask any local ICU or ER doctor.

According to the most recent CDC guidance, which is woefully late in the majority opinion of the relevant scientific communities, these are the top-line results:

VERY IMPORTANT THING #1: VACCINATED PEOPLE CARRY AND TRANSMIT DELTA

The CDC guidance now recommends that vaccinated people who are exposed to Delta "get tested 3-5 days after your exposure, even if you don’t have symptoms. You should also wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative. You should isolate for 10 days if your test result is positive." (See Citation 1a.)

This marks a *major* change from the guidance in early summer. It is believed that Delta reproduces at a much higher rate (~100-1000x), even in vaccinated people, so as to exponentially increase its odds of surviving compared to the original "wildtype" form of the virus. This appears to be part of the reason that it is spreading unchecked in many areas around the world, even as vaccine availability is high and vaccine cooperation is trending upward -- vaccinated people *can* be asymptomatic super-spreaders.

It is also the primary reason that the relaxation & removal of masking protocols has dramatically accelerated the rate of hospitalizations in people under 55, even in those without pre-existing conditions. Over the next month, hospitalization and death rates will continue to rise, *even for vaccinated minors*. For our building, since we know that ventilation is critical and masking protocols save lives, this leads me to:

CONCLUSION #1: EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING MUST BE MASKED, AND THE AIR-PURIFIERS MUST BE ACTIVE

Whether or not this is already part of forthcoming guidance, I felt it was necessary to say. I substituted for several classrooms last year in which the air-purifying ventilation 'droids' had been unplugged or operating at minimal levels. This may be something that Facilities needs to control & maintain; it is no longer an extra precaution but the most important thing we can do in our classrooms to keep everyone safe, because CoVID is and always has been an airborne disease, despite the confusing history of public messaging by the CDC.

When discussing the importance of keeping *everyone* in the XXXXX community safe, this leads me to:

VERY IMPORTANT THING #2: DELTA CAN HOSPITALIZE OR KILL OUR KIDS

The wildtype virus strain was not particularly dangerous, or especially transmissible, to children or young adults, excepting those with immunosuppression or pre-existing conditions. We know that many XXXXXX community members contracted CoVID last year, in many cases when they had been exposed to other students, and despite that we avoided a major outbreak among our students and faculty. This will *no longer be the case with Delta*, because the transmissibility is so high. Once again I will emphasize that it is an airborne disease, and that *live, replicating virions* are found in the air of CoVID-positive patients. The scientific community now believes that *speaking and breathing* are as dangerous as eating and coughing and singing and whatever else we had thought true of the wildtype virus.

Much worse, it appears that the Delta variant's high replication rate has enabled it to attack the healthier lungs of younger people. Once again this is where our complacence will work against us; the stakes are only getting higher and without extreme precautionary measures, it is only a matter of time until we have more than one XXXXXX kid in the hospital.

CONCLUSION #2: WE MUST OFFER DISTANCE LEARNING AGAIN

I really hate this one, and everyone who knows me must be surprised that I would say so. Nevertheless I absolutely have been forced to conclude that the *safest* thing for our students is 100% virtual learning until the 5-11yo vaccinations are available and ubiquitous. I am very aware that XXXXXXX will try to move heaven and earth to keep students on campus (which is obviously a worthy cause), so it seems that the best option would be to once again offer distance learning and encourage families to use it. I really hate this, let me say that again. I hate it a whole awful lot but I do not want my students to die. I wish I did not have to be so blunt in order to express my concern, but I feel that we are now dealing with such issues more than ever before, which is a truly remarkable thing to say given what we have all been through during the pandemic.

This leads me to the big one:

VERY IMPORTANT THING #3: THIS MAY ONLY BE THE BEGINNING

None of us want to think this. However, the overwhelming conclusion from the worldwide distribution of the mRNA vaccines, i.e. Pfizer and Moderna double-doses, is that they are among the safest and most effective vaccines ever produced. (Surprise! There are some media outlets and websites where this information isn't posted or shared very much. However, if you are still unconvinced and inclined to actually research the topic, please see Citation 3a.) Once again, the distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated ICU/death rates are *dramatic*.

CONCLUSION #3: WE MUST FACILITATE THE VACCINATION OF OUR KIDS

This is not only the duty of every Christian, but it should be the duty of every school administrator in this country. There is mounting evidence that the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are critically effective in preventing hospitalizations and deaths among children below 18, and among adults below 55. We should consider it our privilege to make this happen at no cost to our XXXXXX families. We alone in this neighborhood have the power to make it happen; we alone bear the responsibility for our neighbors (Matthew 22:39).

Warmest regards,
etc.

Citations:

[1]
a. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html
b. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/sars-cov-2-transmission.html
https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/transmission-of-sars-cov-2-implications-for-infection-prevention-precautions

[2]
a. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1
b. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7205645/

[3]
a. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0607-mrna-reduce-risks.html
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210721102257.htm
b. https://www.fda.gov/media/148542/download
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/work.html

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

"We are excited to welcome your children back to school tomorrow. Unfortunately, this is shaping up to be another challenging school year, due to ongoing concerns about COVID-19 and diverse opinions on an appropriate response to this virus. By action of the state legislature GCS is no longer allowed to require facial coverings at school, but students have the freedom to utilize masks based on their family’s preference. It is important for you to know GCS will not tolerate anyone being bullied or teased because of their decision to wear or forego wearing a mask. Though we will be unable to fully social distance at all times this year, 3-feet of social distance will be maintained when possible, we will continue with enhanced air quality practices, students will be encouraged to wash hands frequently and cover coughs and sneezes, hand sanitizer is available throughout the school, and high touch surfaces in common areas will be cleaned throughout the day. Additionally, GCS will continue to follow DHEC requirements for quarantining staff and students who are close contacts with a COVID-positive individual. Vaccinated individuals and those who have had COVID and recovered in the last 90 days are not subject to quarantine unless they become symptomatic. We have posted a chart defining our process on quarantine based on DHEC guidance at here. For more information, visit https://www.greenville.k12.sc.us and click the orange COVID-19 button on the front page of the website."

e:

so they're doing nothing meaningful, nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lamo at cleaning high touch surfaces once in awhile

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

A Bag of Milk posted:

Question for hf-803 respirator crew: do y'alls still cover the exhaley bit of the mask with a cloth of some kind? I'm not sure if that's the kind of mask that still lets you blow virus back on other people. If so, has anyone come up with an elegant solution?
No I don't bother, gently caress everyone. So far no one has approached or bothered me about the exhaust on it. Also there's that study that showed exhaust from the half masks is as good as a surgical mask in terms of filtration, can't find it at the moment.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

lamo at cleaning high touch surfaces once in awhile

at least they will have less... flu?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
vermont usually reports its new data out by 11am but not today!

(and they stopped reporting over the weekend)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good thing they limited the "covid leave" to 10 days, enough time to do a single quaratine.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

e:

I haven't been able to keep track of all the school districts that have been getting lit the gently caress up. I'm guessing this is one of them, and they had to go back to remote?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
might have to look at costs of a corsi cube vs just buying a air purifier for a classroom, if they’ll even let me do that, maybe I’ll have to just do it for every dang classroom since everyone else is cheap as hell

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Google Butt posted:

"Well we tried".

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mdemone posted:

Work e-mail

Maybe this time BCC it to teachers only (except snitches) so that people will actually get to see it before you get the admin assholes coming down on you like a ton of bricks? Plus, I'd guess that they probably don't know how to track down BCCd e-mails, so it'd likely take longer for them to yank it out of people's inboxes.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

I haven't been able to keep track of all the school districts that have been getting lit the gently caress up. I'm guessing this is one of them, and they had to go back to remote?

Starts tomorrow. County next to us said gently caress it after a couple of weeks and went remote. I'm sure it will go differently here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey everyone, this thread is over 7000 pages now and it's making some peoples' machines chug (thanks radium). Could someone take the lead on rebooting the thread to a new iteration (with links back to this thread and maybe good/useful posts if necessary)?

Thanks!

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Google Butt posted:

close... they're meaningfully doing nothing

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tzen posted:

No I don't bother, gently caress everyone. So far no one has approached or bothered me about the exhaust on it. Also there's that study that showed exhaust from the half masks is as good as a surgical mask in terms of filtration, can't find it at the moment.

Anyway, it's on them to get vaccinated.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

monday update for Switzerland, by age cohort:

link

and vaccinations by age cohort:

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

Maybe this time BCC it to teachers only (except snitches) so that people will actually get to see it before you get the admin assholes coming down on you like a ton of bricks? Plus, I'd guess that they probably don't know how to track down BCCd e-mails, so it'd likely take longer for them to yank it out of people's inboxes.

yeah they didn't even bother to recall it. Two unvaxxed staffers reached out to me directly for help getting scheduled, so it was already worth getting written up over.

edit: admin's problem was me undercutting their authority and their messaging :rolleyes:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've wondered this too for my RU8500. I really doubt anybody would call you on it because you already look like a psycho wearing one, but it would be cool to not be a total dick about it.

(The exception being if I was in a room with high level administration or HR, in which case I would like to know how to delivery virus particles with maximum effectiveness.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
meanwhile I'm like "I think I'm gonna have to quit my job so we can keep the kids home longer" and my wife is like "okay let's figure it out then"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my favorite part of all
this was when they tiered vaccine roll out for no reason and just are letting kids not get a vaccine for no reason

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm too stupid to understand this stuff myself.

I think someone in here said we were 3-4 weeks away from 3k deaths a day nationally (US). Is there truth to that?

Sorry for my dumb question I'm concerned and uncertain.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my work changed all the wfh to rules to explicitly not allow you to watch your kids during the day under the assumption I guess that schools were going to be in person lmao

oh well

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Never loving fails. I look out the window, there are no cars in the parking lot, so I broke down a pile of boxes, and I'm taking them out to the car, when a car pulls up, and I get a face full of unmasked neighbor. It's 1:00 in the afternoon, why are you coming home the instant I'm trying to do something?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Starts tomorrow. County next to us said gently caress it after a couple of weeks and went remote. I'm sure it will go differently here.

We should start a thread betting pool or something when schools open Biden for how long it'll take them to either shut in-person poo poo back down or drop any pretense of caring.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chad Sexington posted:

I've wondered this too for my RU8500. I really doubt anybody would call you on it because you already look like a psycho wearing one, but it would be cool to not be a total dick about it.

(The exception being if I was in a room with high level administration or HR, in which case I would like to know how to delivery virus particles with maximum effectiveness.)

Ru8500 is easy: take a surgical mask, loop the ear loops around each filter cart twice, covering the out valve and tucking under the carts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

moctopus posted:

I'm too stupid to understand this stuff myself.

I think someone in here said we were 3-4 weeks away from 3k deaths a day nationally (US). Is there truth to that?

Sorry for my dumb question I'm concerned and uncertain.

Well if delta continues to spread sure, but I haven't seen any big numbers out of any state not named Florida or texas.*

*nobody else is reporting

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
One month ago today the weekly average for positive cases per 100k in my county was 2.71/100k. Today it is 31.15/100k. Over ten times as much COVID as their was a month ago. And in that same time period hospitalizations for COVID (not counting people who are in the hospital for something else but test positive) has gone up over 2000%. The last time we had stats like this was at the tail end of the winter wave. But that was on the way down and just as the most vunerable were getting vaxxed. But instead we're in vertical growth and everybody is loving posting pictures of Garth Brooks concerts and the State Fair.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Well if delta continues to spread sure, but I haven't seen any big numbers out of any state not named Florida or texas.*

*nobody else is reporting

Thank you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Thoguh posted:

One month ago today the weekly average for positive cases per 100k in my county was 2.71/100k. Today it is 31.15/100k. Over ten times as much COVID as their was a month ago. And in that same time period hospitalizations for COVID (not counting people who are in the hospital for something else but test positive) has gone up over 2000%. The last time we had stats like this was at the tail end of the winter wave. But that was on the way down and just as the most vunerable were getting vaxxed. But instead we're in vertical growth and everybody is loving posting pictures of Garth Brooks concerts and the State Fair.

That's insane. Why would you post pictures, just listen to Garth shamefully in the comfort of your home.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!

euphronius posted:

my favorite part of all
this was when they tiered vaccine roll out for no reason and just are letting kids not get a vaccine for no reason
kids can't get covid

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

We should start a thread betting pool or something when schools open Biden for how long it'll take them to either shut in-person poo poo back down or drop any pretense of caring.

In the few counties in GA and SC that tried it has been pretty consistent, about 1.5 weeks before it's blindingly obvious it isn't going to work.

There is an article paywalled in ajc.com that just came out, if someone who has access can c/p I'd be super interested. Incognito doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kreeblah posted:

you'd need to identify specific terms and which school systems are the baseline

maybe LA County and NY public schools